New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

TP2000

I'm trying to leave after walking to the Toy Story lot because the line was too long. Line of cars not moving. Ugh.

You do realize that your behavior is contributing to the overcrowding problem at DLR, right?

Going there?

Yes. Going over and over and over. Multiply youself by all the local pass holders who are free on any given day to pop in on a whim and you have the recipe for gridlock. I'm surprised that you're surprised when Disneyland is crowded.

Boys, boys, boys. You both have valid points.

Disneyland actively markets AP's on EZ-Payment plans to the giant SoCal megalopolis of 20 Million people who live within a 90 minute drive of Anaheim. And AP's should, theoretically, be welcome to visit the park they paid for anytime their AP is unblocked. And yet, Disneyland senior management has done a horrible job the last 10 years of managing and planning for 1 Million Annual Passholders to visit the park. And they know darn well that many AP's drive to the park alone in a car, myself included the 20 minutes down Taft and Ball Road from Villa Park. But single drivers taking up the same parking space a tourist family of five would take up in their rental Impala do nothing but gobble up real estate and take the parking/transportation infrastructure to the breaking point and beyond.

Tonight was a perfect example. The last night that several hundred thousand SoCal Select AP's could visit the park for the summer, 10 days after a wildly popular new E Ticket attraction opened. At 8pm tonight I noticed on the official App that Mission: BREAKOUT! was posted at a 180 minute wait and Radiator Springs Racers was at 120 minutes. Both parks were slammed. And traffic and parking after work was a nightmare. On the one hand, non SoCal Select AP's should avoid a day like today like the plague. But on the other hand, TDA executives should have been planning for this scenario 10 years ago, and they haven't.

In sadder news, the Eastern Gateway is still not scheduled for discussion at the Anaheim Planning Commission's next June meeting. :(
http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

Last edited:

NobodyElse

The evil, spiteful side of me thinks Disney should present their "Plan B". This would involve completely closing off Harbor access, and just routing everybody over to Disneyland Drive - possibly to a new structure on the Simba site.

I imagine then the original plan might not look so offensive to "The Coalition". :devilish:

By the way, when I went to visit "Red's" site to make the above reference, I decided to look around since I hadn't visited for quite some time. Nothing much has changed, but I did notice one thing that I will credit them with and thank them for. Behold, a fairly high resolution, un-truncated PDF version of the map featured on the very first post of this thread.

Get it HERE.

While it's probably somewhat outdated at this point, I was happy to finally see some of the plan's details that were previously (to me) missing. These include:

Relocated Crosswalk
upload_2017-6-9_11-6-49.png

More of The Ramp and Street Reconfiguration
upload_2017-6-9_11-9-34.png

A Slightly Better View of Some Exit Lanes
upload_2017-6-9_11-11-48.png

Have fun perusing.

PS: I drove past on I-5 today and noticed that a skip-loader seems to have chopped away at one of the dirt piles. Maybe they're using it for the remaining berm in Star Wars land. ;)

Last edited:

DDLand

By the way, when I went to visit "Red's" site to make the above reference, I decided to look around since I hadn't visited for quite some time. Nothing much has changed, but I did notice one thing that I will credit them with and thank them for. Behold, a fairly high resolution, un-truncated PDF version of the map featured on the very first post of this thread.

Get it HERE.

While it's probably somewhat outdated at this point, I was happy to finally see some of the plan's details that were previously (to me) missing. These include:

Relocated Crosswalk
View attachment 209151

More of The Ramp and Street Reconfiguration
View attachment 209152

A Slightly Better View of Some Exit Lanes
View attachment 209153

Have fun perusing.

PS: I drove past on I-5 today and noticed that a skip-loader seems to have chopped away at one of the dirt piles. Maybe they're using it for the remaining berm in Star Wars land. ;)
I'm not sure if you've seen this, but here's the entire Disneyland Eastern Gateway Project Presentation. It has in depth information about the entire project:
http://www.anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/View/14099

Old Mouseketeer

My disappointment in this remains in the shortsightedness of the concept. In the original Westcot masterplan and continuing into the DCA masterplan there was an Eastside parking structure at Pumbaa with a peoplemover/motorized shuttle connector to the Esplanade. The omission of any kind of tram/shuttle/moving sidewalk is simply stupid, cheap, and shortsighted. Everything about this says "we don't actually care about our guests". We know they don't care about their employees. My rebel spies (various CMs around the resort, some of them of long acquaintance) have told me that morale, retention, and dissatisfaction is a level not seen in 10-15 years.

Yes, they're upping their game on design and implementation of new attractions. But the way they treat their guests and employees seems stuck in time. I'm told by past and current workers that the only thing current management understands is whether an attraction or show starts on time. Whether or not it is good quality or not is not a consideration. Walt wanted a "good show". Today's managers only want "the scheduled show". We're getting some better lands and attractions (mainly because Universal is nipping at their butt). That doesn't mean they are changing their tune on issues of support structure, procedures, and staffing.

BubbaQuest

I'm not sure if you've seen this, but here's the entire Disneyland Eastern Gateway Project Presentation. It has in depth information about the entire project:
http://www.anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/View/14099

So looking at this again...still wondering how cars on Harbor Blvd are supposed to get in here. Katella to Clementine to Disney Way? Ugg. And I don't understand the Disney Shuttle Drop-off. I thought that would be in the transportation area. So are Toy Story parking lot guests already going to be screened in the parking lot and dropped off here or is that just an old reference marker?

DLR92

My disappointment in this remains in the shortsightedness of the concept. In the original Westcot masterplan and continuing into the DCA masterplan there was an Eastside parking structure at Pumbaa with a peoplemover/motorized shuttle connector to the Esplanade. The omission of any kind of tram/shuttle/moving sidewalk is simply stupid, cheap, and shortsighted. Everything about this says "we don't actually care about our guests". We know they don't care about their employees. My rebel spies (various CMs around the resort, some of them of long acquaintance) have told me that morale, retention, and dissatisfaction is a level not seen in 10-15 years.
I agree! That I am glad that local business on Harbor revolted against Disney. LOL
I think the City is cautious of not offending the local business. Don't bend over to a giant corp.

lazyboy97o

While there might be words associated with it, the visuals of that presentation make it perfectly clear why this project has stalled out. Disney is seeking an encroachment in the public right of way but the whole thing is focused around Disney. There is a pittance shown how the public benefits by granting an encroachment. This is the sort of project that should have been workshopped with the neighbors and city, not developed in secret up in Glendale.

George Lucas on a Bench

Today was back to normal with all the SoCal passes blocked. Parking was a breeze. No wait for the tram both ways and I never even take the trams. Sure, a billion teens, but other than that. As soon as these grad nights end, it'll be glorious.

Old Mouseketeer

While there might be words associated with it, the visuals of that presentation make it perfectly clear why this project has stalled out. Disney is seeking an encroachment in the public right of way but the whole thing is focused around Disney. There is a pittance shown how the public benefits by granting an encroachment. This is the sort of project that should have been workshopped with the neighbors and city, not developed in secret up in Glendale.

Absolutely. This looks like the work of an amateur first-timer, not a multi-billion-dollar corp. with a 60+ year relationship with the governing and regulatory authorities.

truecoat

So looking at this again...still wondering how cars on Harbor Blvd are supposed to get in here. Katella to Clementine to Disney Way? Ugg. And I don't understand the Disney Shuttle Drop-off. I thought that would be in the transportation area. So are Toy Story parking lot guests already going to be screened in the parking lot and dropped off here or is that just an old reference marker?

I would take a right turn (or left if coming from the north) on Manchester then it's one more right turn into the garage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom