Six Flags parks have better service than SeaWorld

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Let me start off by saying that I support SeaWorld, and I would love for the company to pull through this slump they are in.

But one thing that always kills me is the awful service at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Tampa. I haven't been to their other parks in quite some time so I can't comment on their service.

Employees always look completely miserable, barely talk, can't accurately answer anything, can't be bothered to even halfway look like they want to be there... oh and let's talk about the efficiency of their operations. Five+ minute dispatches on their coasters is the norm. On Manta this means you're left hanging uncomfortably for quite a long time. Of course Manta has two stations to alleviate this... but SeaWorld rarely bothers to staff both stations.

The unfortunately truth is that most Six Flags parks have better service than SeaWorld, in that there's at least some enthusiasm from the employees and there's at least some attempt for efficiency in their operations. I use Six Flags because they're always the standard that the Orlando parks are used against, as in "this is why we fly to Orlando to see these parks."

With SeaWorld's abysmal attendance figures, you'd think their top priority would be ensuring the place is pleasant to visit, but the stark difference in guest service between SeaWorld and Disney and Universal is a big deterrent.

I want to hear what you guys think about this topic.

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

I just visited Sea World this past month. I noticed some employees where looking miserable, because they are mainly outside in the sun all day. I rode Manta and Mako, they both had good turn over rates and where efficient.

Sea World is behind on the customer service, but they are not bad. I have had issues with them, but also great experiences.

No Name

Have you been on Mako, the new coaster? One very interesting thing in the station is a big TV screen that displays the time between each dispatch, how many trains they've sent out that hour, and a graphic showing eat seat and whether they're ready to go. It's there not only the employees to see, but for the guests to see as well. I think it's a very good idea.

Mako was dispatching noticeably quicker than the other two coasters, so I think it had an effect. My point is, management is trying to improve the situation. Whether they're trying hard enough, I don't know, but they're not entirely turning their heads the other way.

Some, not all, but some of employees look generally unenthused. The enthusiastic employees are the ones who chose to work there, out of a love for the place. Needless to say, I can see why that number has decreased.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I'd be miserable too if I was outside in the Florida heat all day long. It's very unpleasant.
Yeah, I understand that, but Disney and Universal are able to provide better service under the same conditions.
Have you been on Mako, the new coaster? One very interesting thing in the station is a big TV screen that displays the time between each dispatch, how many trains they've sent out that hour, and a graphic showing eat seat and whether they're ready to go. It's there not only the employees to see, but for the guests to see as well. I think it's a very good idea.

Mako was dispatching noticeably quicker than the other two coasters, so I think it had an effect. My point is, management is trying to improve the situation. Whether they're trying hard enough, I don't know, but they're not entirely turning their heads the other way.

Some, not all, but some of employees look generally unenthused. The enthusiastic employees are the ones who chose to work there, out of a love for the place. Needless to say, I can see why that number has decreased.
Yeah, Mako does tend to be faster, but it also has the easiest loading process of the three coasters, with Manta's load cycle being long enough that it was designed to operate with two stations.

I would say that, while obviously there are people who love marine life and chose to work at SeaWorld for that, for the more general positions like operations, Disney and Universal take all the local people who are enthusiastic to work in theme parks. This, I'm sure, contributes to their lower guest service.

raven

I beg to differ. I went to a Six Flags last fall and they would Nickle and Dime you for everything. Their food service locations were completely disgusting, employees were stand-offish and really unwilling to step in and help when they see something wrong, about 40% of their rides were not operating that day (and most of the others kept breaking down) and the entire park was falling apart (overgrown tree branches hanging in paths, roofs were caving in or falling apart, grass was overgrown and paths were clogged with merchandise carts filled with cheap Chinese toys.

My tweets and survey about my visit prompted them to invite me to be on their discussion panel for the future of their parks. I partake in monthly online live conferences now with some of their executives.

So I'm my opinion, Six Flags is probably the worst theme park entertainment company I've ever visited. And I used to work for them!!

SSH

I actually thought the cast members were really friendly for the most part when we visited - but it was late October and much cooler, so not sure if that helped. I love Sea World! But I was definitely less than thrilled with their poor merchandise quality and horrible corporate customer relations.

I bought a coffee mug there (from the shop near the front that donates a portion of what you spend to marine rescue efforts.) I truly hope no parents or young kids ever buy this unsafe item. :jawdrop:

It says "microwave safe" but after 30 sec to a minute, the entire cup and handle get dangerously hot in microwave. We've literally burned ourselves using it - had to pick it up with potholders. I wrote them twice expressing my concern about the safety of this item and they never bothered to reply back. I wrote in a 3rd time requesting it be forwarded to the merchandise buying team and that's when they put my email on their banned list - as if I was some sort of looney or troublemaker they didn't want to deal with.

I wasn't asking for anything free - just trying to alert them about a dangerous item. When I call, they just give me a canned response about returning it to the store for a refund. (Which wasn't the point - I wasn't looking for a refund and am certainly not paying more than the mug is worth to ship it back.:banghead:)

I really would have liked to report this to some sort of consumer product safety agency, since SW won't acknowledge me or look into it. I hate to think of a child using this. But have no clue how to proceed, so I just let it go.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I beg to differ. I went to a Six Flags last fall and they would Nickle and Dime you for everything. Their food service locations were completely disgusting, employees were stand-offish and really unwilling to step in and help when they see something wrong, about 40% of their rides were not operating that day (and most of the others kept breaking down) and the entire park was falling apart (overgrown tree branches hanging in paths, roofs were caving in or falling apart, grass was overgrown and paths were clogged with merchandise carts filled with cheap Chinese toys.

My tweets and survey about my visit prompted them to invite me to be on their discussion panel for the future of their parks. I partake in monthly online live conferences now with some of their executives.

So I'm my opinion, Six Flags is probably the worst theme park entertainment company I've ever visited. And I used to work for them!!
Which Six Flags was this? I find it does vary greatly by location. Six Flags Over Georgia is one of the worst parks for operations that I've seen, and in all fairness probably worse than SeaWorld, but Six Flags Great America and Six Flags Magic Mountain had average service for a theme park and reasonably efficient operations.

raven

Which Six Flags was this? I find it does vary greatly by location. Six Flags Over Georgia is one of the worst parks for operations that I've seen, and in all fairness probably worse than SeaWorld, but Six Flags Great America and Six Flags Magic Mountain had average service for a theme park and reasonably efficient operations.
This was Six Flags over Mid America (or maybe now called Six Flags over St. Louis). The park has greatly declined in the past 20 years and it's a shame at what it's become. :(

flynnibus

Premium Member
It says "microwave safe" but after 30 sec to a minute, the entire cup and handle get dangerously hot in microwave. We've literally burned ourselves using it - had to pick it up with potholders

o_O

Microwave safe doesn't mean it's insulated from getting hot.. it mean it's not metallic and it won't melt itself.

SSH

Thanks for commenting, flynnibus.:) But it seems strange to me that I have a WDW and a Uni mug about the same size/material and those handles stay cool even at 2-3 min in the microwave. So do the half dozen mugs I've bought from destinations I've visited. Only this one. To me, that's seems like substandard manufacturing quality. :confused:

Ragerunner

Ok, well, how many Six Flags parks have you been to? And, come on, it's SeaWorld. At best, they have the same or marginally better service.

I have been to almost every Six Flags. I have had Six Flags annual passes. While I am sure there are exceptions at times, overall its not even close. Just the difference in ride dispatch and trash on the ground makes this no contest.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I have been to almost every Six Flags. I have had Six Flags annual passes. While I am sure there are exceptions at times, overall its not even close. Just the difference in ride dispatch and trash on the ground makes this no contest.
I would have to say that your experience is different than the norm. The SeaWorld/Busch parks are known for having some of the slowest and worst operations in the business.

Ragerunner

Ok, well, how many Six Flags parks have you been to? And, come on, it's SeaWorld. At best, they have the same or marginally better service.

So you have me confused. This thread that you started is labeled "Six Flags parks have better service than SeaWorld". Yet you even state that "At best, they have the same or marginally better services." So which is it? Six Flags has better service or they are about the same or Sea World is marginally better? It seems you already busted your own title.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
So you have me confused. This thread that you started is labeled "Six Flags parks have better service than SeaWorld". Yet you even state that "At best, they have the same or marginally better services." So which is it? Six Flags has better service or they are about the same or Sea World is marginally better? It seems you already busted your own title.
I meant that SeaWorld is on par with the bad Six Flags parks and has worse service than their better parks.

Basically this level of service is far below the standard set in the Orlando market by Disney and Universal.

Ragerunner

I meant that SeaWorld is on par with the bad Six Flags parks and has worse service than their better parks.

Basically this level of service is far below the standard set in the Orlando market by Disney and Universal.

Oh. Ok!?

The best part of these types of threads is they are only based on personal opinions and no quantifiable data. In other words it all ends up meaning nothing. Just some internet diversion.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Oh. Ok!?

The best part of these types of threads is they are only based on personal opinions and no quantifiable data. In other words it all ends up meaning nothing. Just some internet diversion.
SeaWorld's crappy service is not a good look for a company of the verge of collapse, struggling to even get people through the gates. That is the point of discussion of this thread, to see how other people feel about their service. I know I'm not alone here and reviews and discussion of the park elsewhere will support that.

Oh, and let's talk about requiring bags to be checked into lockers but also charging for said lockers. That type of thing is a big slap in the face to guests and tells me that they aren't really concerned about ensuring that visiting the park is a quality experience.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom