Disney 4K UHD Blu-ray

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
At the time of this post most studios, and even smaller distributors like Shout! Factory, have started to release both new movies and back catalogue titles to 4K UHD [Ultra High-Definition] Blu-ray discs. Disney is currently the only major distributor not to show interest in the format, even for their newer movies.

Looking at the top-selling home media titles for the week of October 10-16 shows a similar market share for both 3D and 4K titles, the former of which Disney is still supporting for current releases (and tops on this particular chart):

Top Five Blu-ray 3D Sellers for Week Ending 10/16/16 (Per % of Total Unit Sales):
  1. Captain America: Civil War 3D (14%)
  2. Ghostbusters (5%)
  3. The Angry Birds Movie 3D (5%)
  4. X-Men: Apocalypse 3D (5%)
  5. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (4%)
Top Five UHD Blu-ray Sellers for Week Ending 10/16/16 (Per % of Total Unit Sales):
  1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (8%)
  2. Warcraft 4K (8%)
  3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 4K (6%)
  4. X-Men: Apocalypse 4K (6%)
  5. Deadpool 4K (5%)
Note that in this example, the 4K discs of Batman v Superman and X-Men: Apocalypse had a higher market share than their 3D equivalents.

Given these statistics, it's not hard to imagine that popular Disney, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars titles would do well with 4K. Even in its infancy, there's clearly a demand by early adopters to engage in the format, in part because all of these 4K packages include the regular Blu-ray too.

Disney was quick to get on board with Blu-ray back in 2006 and started releasing their animated classics to DVD just two years after that format first came to store shelves. There's still a chance Disney will eventually get on board with 4K, but when do you think that will happen? Do you think there are other factors (like the company's push for digital distribution) that are posing a conflict in this case?

Last edited:

SosoDude

I feel like they will eventually release the Marvel and Star Wars titles in 4K, but unless there is some serious outcry for it, I doubt they convert thier animated classics to 4K. I would buy them, but I think the average consumer will not see the need to own the animated movies in anything with a higher definition than bluray.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I think that Disney needs to focus on finishing releasing the rest of their catalog on regular Blu-ray before even thinking about 4K Blu-ray.

Still waiting on The Black Cauldron...

Oddysey

Sorry for the bump, but I am interested in this topic as well. I have a 65 inch OLED and a 4k blu ray disc player, and I am currently avoiding purchasing the most recent marvel releases (Civil War, etc.) because I am waiting for 4k additions. I personally would purchase the entire Marvel catalog if all were re-mastered in 4k with HDR/Dolby Vision. I don't want to invest in any regular 1080p blu rays at the moment. Lastly, for me it is not really about the 4k resolution because 1080p still looks fantastic. However, the additions of HDR or Dolby Vision are the real game changer. The Marvel movies would really pop using either technology.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess is that the cost to transition the classics to UHD is expensive. The quality may not necessarily improve that much over blue ray for the classics. Fear not however, if the release of the classics on UHD is determined to be a significant income stream Disney will do it and the vault door will open.

Oddysey

My guess is that the cost to transition the classics to UHD is expensive. The quality may not necessarily improve that much over blue ray for the classics. Fear not however, if the release of the classics on UHD is determined to be a significant income stream Disney will do it and the vault door will open.

I agree that upgrading the classics to UHD wouldn't be that useful. I have no interest in purchasing Snow White in 4k. LOL! I am more interested in the Marvel and Star Wars Universe.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster

I believe Disney has been restoring its back catalogue in 4K (or at least doing 4K scans) since 2008 with Sleeping Beauty. However, that does not include titles that were done in 2K between 2005 and 2008 like Bambi, Peter Pan and Cinderella. Those would require new restorations.

Regardless of what happens to the back catalogue, there's pretty much no excuse for not releasing any new titles to UHD. No UHD release of Force Awakens, for example, is clearly leaving money on the table.

Yert3

The quality may not necessarily improve that much over blue ray for the classics.
A lot of people said this when Blu-ray first came out when they compared it to DVD. When you look at 1080P and 4K side by side, there is a noticeable difference. The classics were also shot on 35mm film (most of them, at least) which would benefit greatly from a 4K mastering. I don't know if I will be upgrading to 4K anytime soon because I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my Disney Blu-ray collection, and I'm actually quite happy with the picture quality. Even by today's standards, 1080P still looks ridiculously good. Saying that though, I still think they should release the classics on 4K Blu-ray because the picture is jaw dropping.

Last edited:

Oddysey

PB Watermelon

Since the hand-drawn/pre-CAPS animated features were finished in 2k, when they do come to 4k UHD HDR, I'm betting they'll be 4k upscales, not brand new masters, similar to the new Harry Potter 4k UHD releases of Years 3-7 (Years One and Two are brand new scans of the Original Camera Negative, 3-7.1 and 7.2 are upscales of the finished 2k masters). Here's hoping Disney takes another crack at The Sword in the Stone, since its an oily DNR smudge-fest.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The first Incredibles movie will get a 4K release on June 5th:

MvA3jUtl.jpg

tribbleorlfl

I'm glad they're starting to release more 4K titles, but I wish it didn't come at the expense of BR3D releases. I know there aren't many 3D TV's being made anymore and overall the amount of 3D releases is shrinking from all studios, but I've found considerable overlap between those who've been early adopters of 4K BR and those who also have a 3D-capable display.

Many of us would happily pay extra for a super-collector's edition if it included a 3d disc in addition to the 4k. Heck, I'd happily pay for two separate editions if they even gave me that option. As it was, I had to buy the 3d GotG disc from the Best Buy exclusive steel book and am importing the newer 3d releases from Europe (which paradoxically are still getting Disney 3d releases).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom