Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Casper Gutman

Nope. It's replacing Woody Woodpecker's KidZone in USF. There could be a second land in the third park based on a different Nintendo IP like Zelda though.

I just have a difficult time seeing how a Zelda land would work. Unlike Mario, Zelda lacks a single, coherent aesthetic - do you base the game on Wind Waker? Breath of the Wild? Very different looks and tones. In addition, as far as I know (and I could be wrong here) but the only location that is largely consistent across games is Hyrule Castle, and Uni's about to have two Nintendo castles already. Then there's the character issue - Mario has a big cast of recurring characters, while Zelda has Link, Zelda, and Gannon.

I can see a second Nintendo land being an amalgamation of properties - Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. - but I can't necessarily see any of them supporting a land on its own. Pokemon might be able to do so.

Mike S

I just have a difficult time seeing how a Zelda land would work. Unlike Mario, Zelda lacks a single, coherent aesthetic - do you base the game on Wind Waker? Breath of the Wild? Very different looks and tones. In addition, as far as I know (and I could be wrong here) but the only location that is largely consistent across games is Hyrule Castle, and Uni's about to have two Nintendo castles already. Then there's the character issue - Mario has a big cast of recurring characters, while Zelda has Link, Zelda, and Gannon.

I can see a second Nintendo land being an amalgamation of properties - Metroid, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. - but I can't necessarily see any of them supporting a land on its own. Pokemon might be able to do so.
Zelda would clearly be either Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild. They would go with success.

No Name

Here's a fun fact about Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan (and Later Hollywood and Orlando).
-The land is planned to cost $60 BILLION yen for USJ! Making it one of the most expensive theme park lands ever created. ($546 million USD!)
-It is opening in 2020 at Universal Studios Japan. Los Angeles and Orlando will get theirs in a latter date after the Japanese version.
-It will feature a Mario Kart attraction! -The technology used in it will be the “world’s most advanced technology”.
-The land will feature shops, restaurants and rides! The area is 2 stories tall. Super Nintendo World is being built in part of the Universal Studios Japan's parking lot. The area is described as being “interactive”
-Bowser’s Castle and Peach’s Castle will both be built!

Star Wars Land is planned to cost a billion dollars on each coast. Almost twice as much.

Both will be amazing, I am sure. But if SWL is not significantly better than Nintendo Land... that should cause some heads to turn.

Casper Gutman

Star Wars Land is planned to cost a billion dollars on each coast. Almost twice as much.

If SWL is not significantly better than Nintendo Land, we have a problem.

Didn't Pandora cost more than twice as much as Diagon? Not saying Pandora isn't cool, but I still give Diagon the edge.

Isn't TSL also absurdly costly for what it is?

Disney has a problem with budgets.

Mike S

But Wind Waker has the most distinct aesthetic and Link to the Past has the nostalgia thing - isn't Breath a bit generic looking?
BotW is beautiful and both it and OoT are regarded as the best games in the series. They wouldn't make a land look 16 bit like LttP.

Last edited:

JT3000

Both will be amazing, I am sure. But if SWL is not significantly better than Nintendo Land... that should cause some heads to turn.

Prepare to pull a Pazuzu, because everything Disney does costs considerably more than it should. They have a bloated corporate structure to thank for that. It'll probably be nice, but still a waste of resources.

If they do take down Kidzone then E.T would have to be relocated.

Or just its entrance. They would just have to retool a few things in the Hollywood area, which it's right next to, to allow for a reroute. I fear it's more likely on the chopping block though.

Twilight_Roxas

Not if you read how the removal of both Hollywood & Japan versions angered Spielberg that he threaten to end his cooperation with Universal if the Florida version was gone.

mergatroid

Not if you read how the removal of both Hollywood & Japan versions angered Spielberg that he threaten to end his cooperation with Universal if the Florida version was gone.

Good. ET is one of our favourite attractions, one my wife will ride with me and it's very nostalgic and whimsical :cool:

Cesar R M

Here's a fun fact about Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan (and Later Hollywood and Orlando).
-The land is planned to cost $60 BILLION yen for USJ! Making it one of the most expensive theme park lands ever created. ($546 million USD!)
-It is opening in 2020 at Universal Studios Japan. Los Angeles and Orlando will get theirs in a latter date after the Japanese version.
-It will feature a Mario Kart attraction! -The technology used in it will be the “world’s most advanced technology”.
-The land will feature shops, restaurants and rides! The area is 2 stories tall. Super Nintendo World is being built in part of the Universal Studios Japan's parking lot. The area is described as being “interactive”
-Bowser’s Castle and Peach’s Castle will both be built!
AWWW YIIIIISH!!! :D

*Q*

I have a feeling that that is one of those stories that falls squarely within the realm of urban legend.

DDLand

Ha, I should have popped over here sooner. I said pretty much the same thing over in the Spirited Thread yesterday night!

@Mike S has said that he read there would be an exclusive attraction at the Orlando edition of Super Nintendo World. That could Bridge the gap and get Nintendo and SWE in line.

Star Wars Experience and its attractions should be a cut above Nintendo in scope and scale. Perhaps not quality, but it should be far more extensive.

If it's not, then Walt Disney Imagineering is a lost cause. It needs to be much much better for the level of investment.

JoeCamel

Wonder how many tears he shed after jaws closed and those price increases, double digit attendance growth and butter beers started flowing. ;)
The tears were shed due to paper cuts he got from counting all that money. Wonder what will happen when he non - renews the contract? I mean, does Comcast really cut him a check for 1B+?

He may end up richer than Lucas if that happens

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

If they made a Legend of Zelda area, it would have to be a mashup of "Best of" elements from throughout the series. I mean, pretty much every entry in the series has either the same locales, re-imagined, or the same similar themes: enchanted forest, volcano, desert, water temple, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom