New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Curious Constance

How could anyone blame the lack of parking on Grad Nite? Those kids get dropped off by buses streaming in off Katella to the unused access road behind Screamin'/Cars Land, and then the bus drivers drive away for the day, to return 12 hours later to pick the kids up again. I've seen the long line of buses on Katella myself dropping off kids this month.

If anything, Grad Nite has the least impact on parking spaces of any demographic.

But it does appear that the Disneyland Resort is SLAMMED with crowds this weekend. They stopped letting people in the gates for several hours yesterday according to Disneyland Today Twitter feed, and the wait times on the app have been horrendous.

180 minutes for Splash Mt. and Grizzly River Run (it's 90 degrees this weekend)
150 minutes for Radiator Springs Racers
120 minutes for Space Mt. and Matterhorn and Soarin'
90 minutes for Indy and Star Tours
60-75 minutes for Pirates and Screamin' and Haunted Mansion and Submarines
This weekend was the last weekend to use those discounted southern CA tickets they sold this year, I'm sure that plus grad nights combined contributed to the closed gates at DL and crowds. Thank god those tickets are done now.

Also looks like the cheapest passes start weekend black out dates next weekend, so everyone was trying to get there before the blackout dates begin probably.

I always think about the poor people who came from out of town for one weekend to DL and spent thousands to do it, only to find the parks too full to do much of anything. Ugh, that's not right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I just checkedthe DL app and Space Mountain has a 110 minute wait at 8:50pm. This is why I'm so reluctant to plan a trip to DLR. Ugh.

zooey

I just checkedthe DL app and Space Mountain has a 110 minute wait at 8:50pm. This is why I'm so reluctant to plan a trip to DLR. Ugh.
There's a lot of capacity out of commission right now, and a lot of things like grad nights and that so cal pass making crowds unbearable. When the parks are running full capacity it isn't as bad, but yeah it's always busy.

George Lucas on a Bench

This is not an update, because I know nothing.

I just wanted to note that as I continue to visit Disneyland on a regular basis, ultra-crowded or not, I'm getting increasingly sick of parking, walking or taking a tram to Downtown Disney, and walking back after a long day. I'm so jealous of Universal Orlando's moving walkways, which make getting from the parking garage to Citywalk a breeze. I'm tired of walking through Downtown Disney. I'm tired of being directed to park on a level where there is extremely limited parking and cars are moving in a slow circle around the perimeter of the level, effectively trapping you while baffled cast members (if there are any) just kinda stand there looking like idiots. Mostly, I'm just tired.

I miss the old walkway. I wish there was a more efficient transportation system than those trams with huge lines.

D

Deleted member 107043

This is not an update, because I know nothing.

I just wanted to note that as I continue to visit Disneyland on a regular basis, ultra-crowded or not, I'm getting increasingly sick of parking, walking or taking a tram to Downtown Disney, and walking back after a long day. I'm so jealous of Universal Orlando's moving walkways, which make getting from the parking garage to Citywalk a breeze. I'm tired of walking through Downtown Disney. I'm tired of being directed to park on a level where there is extremely limited parking and cars are moving in a slow circle around the perimeter of the level, effectively trapping you while baffled cast members (if there are any) just kinda stand there looking like idiots. Mostly, I'm just tired.

I miss the old walkway. I wish there was a more efficient transportation system than those trams with huge lines.

You think that's bad? Try driving to an airport, flying for an hour or more, cabbing it to DLR with luggage, and then checking in to a hotel for $300+ a night for several days just to do what you can do pretty much whenever you want on a whim for a tiny fraction of the cost.

Kiwiduck

You think that's bad? Try driving to an airport, flying for an hour or more, cabbing it to DLR with luggage, and then checking in to a hotel for $300+ a night for several days just to do what you can do pretty much whenever you want on a whim for a tiny fraction of the cost.
I'll take your hour long flight and raise you 10 more hours in the air and many hours more waiting in the airport and in customs and immigration lines. I am so envious of those who can pop in for an evening or weekend and have the opportunity to get "tired" of it all. I'm very happy with my own country just wish it was closer to Disneyland.

Wouldn't say no to a moving walkway or two though!!!!!

TP2000

This isn't good news...

The Anaheim Planning Commission meets today, and nothing about the Eastern Gateway is on their agenda to discuss. The only Resort District item is plan changes to the Hampton Inn being built where the old Arena Inn drug motel used to be. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

The next Planning Commission meeting will not be held until the middle of June. And the Eastern Gateway is still listed on the city's official map as merely "Application Submitted", but not "Approved". http://www.anaheim.net/DocumentCenter/View/10614

Meanwhile, the progress on Star Wars Land grows more rapid by the day. Tick, tick, tick....

Kman101

Seems like the parking situation desperately needs this overhaul. But they keep avoiding it? And it sounds like the city is being a pain, why can't they recognize what's needed? (I know, politics).

SSG

This was on MiceChat today:

Eastern Gateway Project
Currently, the entire project is stopped and is waiting for the Anaheim City Council to decide if Disneyland can build a pedestrian bridge over Harbor Blvd. In my opinion, I think Disney should just bite the bullet and build a second screening area for Harbor access. That should make everyone happy.

05270470-610x407.jpg

Nothing is moving…

05270471-610x407.jpg

The old Carrousel building is still standing.

TP2000

Where is @Darkbeer1 ? He would have the entire scoop. I hope he is recovering well.

Me too. I'm sure he's taking some time to focus on things that are truly important to him and his family.

As for Eastern Gateway, those Micechat photos from today are kind of crummy. They don't show the tumbleweeds and local flora and fauna that have engulfed those giant dirt mounds they built last year. They've been sitting there over the winter and spring and have become their own little ecological sites.

And now it's early June and the Eastern Gateway is still in Planning Comission limbo, officially categorized as "Application Submitted" but no where near approval. https://ca-anaheim.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/10614

At some point here someone is going to blink, either TDA or the City of Anaheim. Tick, tick, tick...

Old Mouseketeer

TDA will blink about five years after Star Wars land opens.

No, SWL won't open. I guaran-damn-tee you Disney won't get an occupancy permit without more parking. But if Anaheim digs their heels in without justification, the Mouse will sue the pants off them. Yes, it's brinksmanship on a monumental scale. And both of them should have better sense. But they don't.

Phroobar

No, SWL won't open. I guaran-damn-tee you Disney won't get an occupancy permit without more parking. But if Anaheim digs their heels in without justification, the Mouse will sue the pants off them. Yes, it's brinksmanship on a monumental scale. And both of them should have better sense. But they don't.
Good point. I wonder if that will happen. Disney won't get their tax break and will pass the cost onto us.

Old Mouseketeer

Good point. I wonder if that will happen. Disney won't get their tax break and will pass the cost onto us.

I think it's bigger than that. No parking, no occupancy permit. Game. Set. Match. Anaheim holds all the cards until Disney sues the *F* out of them. They should both know better, but they don't. My guestimate is they have six months to settle this. After that, who knows?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom