Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Captain Barbossa

You beat a baywatch gag film, a month old guardians, and a few week old panned Aliens sequel. The idea there will be a non-holiday surge is fantasy. This movie has got a rap.. and next two weeks you have wonder woman and spiderman soaking up the 'lets see a movie' crowd.

It's all downhill from here...
I didn't realize that May 5-25 was a whole month!! Wow I'm learning something new everyday!!

Captain Barbossa

You beat a baywatch gag film, a month old guardians, and a few week old panned Aliens sequel. The idea there will be a non-holiday surge is fantasy. This movie has got a rap.. and next two weeks you have wonder woman and spiderman soaking up the 'lets see a movie' crowd.

Also didn't realize that May 19-25 was 3 weeks!! Wow, you really are making us look stupid.

Captain Barbossa

No matter how much you disliked it, it was a success.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't realize that May 5-25 was a whole month!! Wow I'm learning something new everyday!!

You mean 4 weekends? Yeah... that's basically a month.

Also didn't realize that May 19-25 was 3 weeks!! Wow, you really are making us look stupid.

Who said three? Not me... the movie had already been known as a letdown... which is why it had a 71% drop off.

The fact remains... the opening domestically was soft... even with little competition and wasn't a big enough draw to carry the weekend. You can point to the international numbers... but doesn't change how the film is stacking up here and what you projected for next week+.

You can boast about being the least loser... but next weekend the reality will kick in.

WhatJaneSays

I'm won't say I'm actively writing a new speck for DMTNT attempting to utilize as much of the movie we were presented with while making a more logical and emotionally satisfying story out of it ... but I totally am.

FettFan

Just saw it...credits rolling at Movie Tavern.

A few things:
- In Dead Man's Chest, we learned that Tia Dalma gave Jack the compass. They were looking for the key and Tia says "That compass I give you, it cannot find this?"
Here, they retcon it to the original captain of the Wicked Wench gave it to him 'just because'. Bad move.

- Whay happened to the Queen Anne's Revenge? Did Salazar sink her?

- So if all curses are now broken, does this negate the Captain Jack voodoo doll that Angelica has?

- Does Angelica even exist anymore?

Captain Barbossa

A few things:
- In Dead Man's Chest, we learned that Tia Dalma gave Jack the compass. They were looking for the key and Tia says "That compass I give you, it cannot find this?"
Here, they retcon it to the original captain of the Wicked Wench gave it to him 'just because'. Bad move.

- So if all curses are now broken, does this negate the Captain Jack voodoo doll that Angelica has?

Yeah I don't really care for the new story of the orgin of Jack's compass. It's like they just decided to forget about the Revenge. She could still be out in the ocean floating around in circles for all we know!!

Last edited:

FettFan

Yeah I don't really care for the new story of the orgin of Jack' compass. It's like they just decided to forget about the Revenge. She could still be out in the ocean floating around in circles for all we know!!

Also....why did they even need Carina? Think about it...Barbossa's daughter, yet she has the diary and piece of ruby that he attached to it....meaning that at some point, he had already been to the island and broke off that piece of ruby. And, he's got the constellation tattooed on his arm....he already knows what to look for, and all he would have needed to get the trident was that one piece of ruby that she's got.

Jahona

Original Poster

A few things:

I made similar comments on my review a few pages back. It really felt like the writers didn't watch the previous movies or decided to ignore them for the sake of their own writings. It ended up being a weaker origin story then the vague info we were given in previous movies.

Also....why did they even need Carina? Think about it...Barbossa's daughter, yet she has the diary and piece of ruby that he attached to it....meaning that at some point, he had already been to the island and broke off that piece of ruby. And, he's got the constellation tattooed on his arm....he already knows what to look for, and all he would have needed to get the trident was that one piece of ruby that she's got.

If I remember right the journal was originally from Galileo. Barbossa came across it in his travels. He knew the journal contained the myth of the Trident but he didn't know it was actually the key. He just saw a pretty ruby and an interesting graphic that might make a nice tattoo.

Magenta Panther

Just read online that DMTNT got the highest test scores from preview audiences in the franchise's history. I couldn't get out to see it this weekend, but I hope to next week.

I watched "At World's End" again yesterday...and frankly, it's a mess. Overlong, overproduced, in desperate need of a clever film editor, and way too much going on. Some really great stuff in it, and Depp does some of his best acting in it, but it's just exhausting to watch. A pity it's not more fun. A little judicious editing could have worked wonders...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Did anyone else feel like Johnny Depp was seriously phoning it in this time? His voice wasn't even right. It's like he forgot how to be Jack Sparrow. I also didn't care even the slightest about the new characters.

Watching the other films over the last few weeks, I like On Stranger Tides a lot more than I remembered. This one was very disappointing.

Captain Barbossa

I made similar comments on my review a few pages back. It really felt like the writers didn't watch the previous movies or decided to ignore them for the sake of their own writings. It ended up being a weaker origin story then the vague info we were given in previous movies.

If I remember right the journal was originally from Galileo. Barbossa came across it in his travels. He knew the journal contained the myth of the Trident but he didn't know it was actually the key. He just saw a pretty ruby and an interesting graphic that might make a nice tattoo.
I agree with you when it comes to the writing. Jeff Nathanson sucks. I was surprised that Terry Rossio agreed to do the story without Ted Elliott. It would have been better if the two of them wrote it. I also believe too that Jeff Nathanson kind of overlooked some stuff and didn't watch any of the previous 4 films, just so he could do it his own way.

Captain Barbossa

Just read online that DMTNT got the highest test scores from preview audiences in the franchise's history. I couldn't get out to see it this weekend, but I hope to next week.

I watched "At World's End" again yesterday...and frankly, it's a mess. Overlong, overproduced, in desperate need of a clever film editor, and way too much going on. Some really great stuff in it, and Depp does some of his best acting in it, but it's just exhausting to watch. A pity it's not more fun. A little judicious editing could have worked wonders...
I love At World's End, but it is long. Almost 3 hours!!

Captain Barbossa

Did anyone else feel like Johnny Depp was seriously phoning it in this time? His voice wasn't even right. It's like he forgot how to be Jack Sparrow. I also didn't care even the slightest about the new characters.

Watching the other films over the last few weeks, I like On Stranger Tides a lot more than I remembered. This one was very disappointing.
I find myself liking On Stranger Tides a lot more too. Really like Johnny's acting in it. The script was very well written. Still think Blackbeard was a weak villain though.

champdisney

What a treat DMTNT was. Captain Jack was at his funniest here. Just an all around entertaining film and most definitely the best out of all the POTC films (yes, even better than the first). My only question is, if the curse was lifted, was it really necessary for Salazar's demise? Would he have still wanted to kill Captain Jack?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom