Travel Camera

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I have taken my big DSLR and lenses to WDW on many trips. I have come to the conclusion that I am not doing that again. My DSLR will mostly be used for vacations where I have time to really setup a photo or my DD's sports. I am tired of lugging around the bulk.

With that being said, I am looking for a P&S camera that is a little more compact, can take good video, and has some zoom. I know I am giving up a ton from my DSLR. However, leaving it in the bag more than using it defeats the purpose. The Panasonic lines look good. The drop from DSLR to cellphone camera is too much though. Carrying around a 1Lb P&S is not a problem.

21stamps

Following. I'm getting an Olympus in the next few weeks, but I'm also interested in a Panasonic for Disney days.

fractal

If you have a newer I-phone or similar cell, the image quality of most "mid-tier" compacts are comparable. A P&S will, however offer more features such as zoom.

The best compacts are the one's with the "1inch sensor" such as the Sony RX100, Canon GX7 & Panasonic Lumix series (actually, panasonic now also has a compact model with an APS-C sensor).

This price range for these are $400-$1,000. The Sony RX100 IV is a cool grand, but the earlier models can still be bought new for much less. Here's a good article to consider.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/best-point-and-shoot-cameras/

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I don't really have a travel camera. Below is what I have and I am looking for something to take more of the walking around, spur of moment photos. Having the travel zoom I think would be perfect for Disney. I know my DSLR was great, but at 10-15Lbs with everything, it gets old quickly.

Photography: Canon 7D, 28-70MM red, and 70-200MM red lens
Underwater: Olympus Tough TG4 and a better than GoPro clone
General: Cellphones are OK for photos, but I think they are severely lacking in capabilities. You simply can't put a good sensor in a phone.

I am not looking to spend $1,000. If I had to settle, the Panasonic Lumix in the $250-$400 range would fit the bill. It can go in a pocket, easy access, and get the pictures without the added battery drain to a cellphone.

21stamps

I am buying the Olympus Tough TG5 for a cruise..I've been researching for a while now, may also possibly buy a GoPro hero session.

@BigRedDad and @fractal do you think the Tough TG5 is enough for good fireworks photos?

fractal

I am buying the Olympus Tough TG5 for a cruise..I've been researching for a while now, may also possibly buy a GoPro hero session.

@BigRedDad and @fractal do you think the Tough TG5 is enough for good fireworks photos?

Yeah, that's looks like a cool camera - love the underwater capability! The sensor is not as big as the other's I mention above but better than a camera phone. Nice fast lens as well.

As far as the fireworks (and assuming you are talking about shooting it with a tripod or other form of stability);
I see you can shoot in program mode which means you should be able to put in the proper settings (long shutter exposure, small aperture, low ISO). It also appear to have a "fireworks" setting but not sure what that entails.

If it has a timer for the shutter that would be ideal without a remote shutter.

If you do get it, I would love to know how you like it.

21stamps

Yeah, that's looks like a cool camera - love the underwater capability! The sensor is not as big as the other's I mention above but better than a camera phone. Nice fast lens as well.

As far as the fireworks (and assuming you are talking about shooting it with a tripod or other form of stability);
I see you can shoot in program mode which means you should be able to put in the proper settings (long shutter exposure, small aperture, low ISO). It also appear to have a "fireworks" setting but not sure what that entails.

If it has a timer for the shutter that would be ideal without a remote shutter.

If you do get it, I would love to know how you like it.

I will not have a tripod, just want better photos than what my iPhone 7, will be 7S by the time of our Disney trip, takes/will take.

The Olympus is for a cruise, we are doing a lot of active excursions..snorkeling..cave tours.. muddy xrail trail etc.. I went back and forth between a regular GoPro or the Olympus, and I think the Olympus is more practical for me. It comes out next month and I am definitely buying it.

That said, every time I read the trip reports that have good quality photos, I realize how bad my phone photos are lol. I've thought about it, don't want to carry around a DSLR when we're out and about.. but need something better than a phone. Do you something like a Panasonic is needed or will the Olympus "do it all"?

moleymolo

Sorry to hijack thread but keeping on the camera theme. Recently returned from honeymoon in USA and we're going back again in January 2018 but I want to upgrade from the GoPro Hero 4 we used the entire trip. The lighting was rubbish, the sounds was awful and I cannot stand the fisheye lens - even if set to the narrowest view.

I don't really want a "photo" style camera as mentioned (Olympus Tough TG5 etc) but more of a video camera that can handle the lighting conditions within certain rides (Pirates, Tower of Terror etc). I know it will not be perfect but it's better than using what is really a press record and leave camera such as my GoPro.

Been looking at the Sonay CX405 and also the similar price range of Panasonic as I hear the battery and zoom is better.

I have a budget of around £200-£270 ($350 max basically) so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Thanks all :)

sporadic

If you could ditch the zoom, something like a used Fuji X100S would be close to that price range (under $500). You may end up liking the output better than your 7D :)

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Each camera I have serves its own purpose. Some were bought as toys and others for a specific purpose.

DSLR: For all my "great" photos. I should call them pictures because I am not a photographer.

GoPro -clone: Its better than a GoPro, about 15% of the price, and worth every bit what I paid for it. It is good for water rides, getting wet, action sports, etc. I consider it a toy, but it is more than that. At $80, it was worth the purchase. For anyone thinking of a GoPro, think twice. All of the "clone" cameras come out of the same manufacturing site in China. All they do is take out "GoPro" and slap on some other name. Those clones are usually made with better components and lens as well. Why pay $500 for a GoPro when you can get a better one for $80.

Olympus TG-4: Purchased when we had plans of going on a cruise. Great for underwater photo and video. Not much zoom, but good for the purpose.

I am looking for something that is more all-around for carrying around. It needs to fit the TG-4 to DSLR range. I know it won't be as good as the DSLR and better than the TG-4.

21stamps

Each camera I have serves its own purpose. Some were bought as toys and others for a specific purpose.

DSLR: For all my "great" photos. I should call them pictures because I am not a photographer.

GoPro -clone: Its better than a GoPro, about 15% of the price, and worth every bit what I paid for it. It is good for water rides, getting wet, action sports, etc. I consider it a toy, but it is more than that. At $80, it was worth the purchase. For anyone thinking of a GoPro, think twice. All of the "clone" cameras come out of the same manufacturing site in China. All they do is take out "GoPro" and slap on some other name. Those clones are usually made with better components and lens as well. Why pay $500 for a GoPro when you can get a better one for $80.

Olympus TG-4: Purchased when we had plans of going on a cruise. Great for underwater photo and video. Not much zoom, but good for the purpose.

I am looking for something that is more all-around for carrying around. It needs to fit the TG-4 to DSLR range. I know it won't be as good as the DSLR and better than the TG-4.

This worries me. So based on your experience, you think a less expensive point-and-shoot will take better "normal" Photos than the Olympus?

I am so happy to hear about your experience with the "generic" GoPro. If I do not end up getting the Session, which I'm still a little afraid of, then I was thinking about just getting a generic one off of Amazon. It has tons of good reviews! I just want something for waterslides, and when we are riding in the x rail buggies.. also when we jump in the water. The hero session is attractive because of it's size. But you can't even see what's in the frame.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I have not really used the TG4 for anything more than pictures at our pool. I bought it specifically for going on a Disney Cruise to use at Castaway Cay. I will test it out more for general photos. I am looking for something that is about 10x zoom and takes better than cellphone pictures. People love their cellphone pics, but I think they are garbage. Panasonic was always a favorite camera of mine. I may just go with one of the Lumix cameras.

As for the GoPro, trust me, do not waste the money. All of those other brands you see on Amazon are from the same manufacturing line as GoPro. That Akaso EK7000 is a pretty awesome little camera. My GitUp 2 is a year old and better than the GoPro Hero 5 that is 5x more expensive. Honestly, I would buy it and not think twice. For $84, you can't beat that Akaso. I almost bought one. I am choosing to buy a camera that I can use more for general photos walking the World.

fractal

I will not have a tripod, just want better photos than what my iPhone 7, will be 7S by the time of our Disney trip, takes/will take.

The Olympus is for a cruise, we are doing a lot of active excursions..snorkeling..cave tours.. muddy xrail trail etc.. I went back and forth between a regular GoPro or the Olympus, and I think the Olympus is more practical for me. It comes out next month and I am definitely buying it.

That said, every time I read the trip reports that have good quality photos, I realize how bad my phone photos are lol. I've thought about it, don't want to carry around a DSLR when we're out and about.. but need something better than a phone. Do you something like a Panasonic is needed or will the Olympus "do it all"?

A newer top end smart phone can take good photos, especially in the daytime. Many times it comes down to technique. One of the biggest issues I have with my phone as a camera is the lens getting smeared or dirty. Think about it, it's either in your hand or shoved in a purse or pocket. Using a lens cloth, tissue or even your cotton shirt to wipe the lens before use will do wonders. Just last night I took a picture and it came out very faded and "smeared", until I wiped off the lens. Second - make use of the flash. Even in daylight especially if your subject is backlit (strong light or sun light behind them). Using flash like this is known as "fill flash". Your subject will no longer look too dark or shadowy.

Keep the phone still. Just like a camera you have to keep the phone stable during the photo. Hold it secure, 2 hands better than 1, closer to your body. Don't move. Since the sensor in the camera is small it can't bring in much light, so the camera will try to hold open the shutter to compensate. Hold steady throughout. Your photos will look sharper.

The biggest handicap when using your phone or most point & shoots is when the light gets poor. The Olympus has a fast f/2 lens which should help but don't expect great photos in dark rides. For that you need a camera will a larger sensor and a fast lens - DSLR or Mirrorless. Minimum cost to get your there is around $700-$1,000.

Here is a photo I took with my I-phone 5. I was pleasantly surprised how well it came out.

Castle w/ IPhone5 by Chris Dikos, on Flickr

Last edited:

21stamps

A newer top end smart phone can take good photos, especially in the daytime. Many times it comes down to technique. One of the biggest issues I have with my phone as a camera is the lens getting smeared or dirty. Think about it, it's either in your hand or shoved in a purse or pocket. Using a lens cloth, tissue or even your cotton shirt to wipe the lens before use will do wonders. Just last night I took a picture of and it came out very faded, until I wipes off the lens. Second - make use of the flash. Even in daylight especially if your subject is backlit (strong light or sun light behind them). Using flash like this is known as "fill flash". Your subject will no longer look too dark or shadowy.

Keep the phone still. Just like a camera you have to keep the phone stable during the photo. Hold it secure, 2 hands better than 1, closer to your body. Don't move. Since the sensor in the camera is small it can't bring in much light, so the camera will try to hold open the shutter to compensate. Hold steady throughout. Your photos will look sharper.

The biggest handicap when using your phone or most point & shoots is when the light gets poor. The Olympus has a fast f/2 lens which should help but don't expect great photos in dark rides. For that you need a camera will a larger sensor and a fast lens - DSLR or Mirrorless. Minimum cost to get your there is around $700-$1,000.

Here is a photo I took with my I-phone 5. I was pleasantly surprised how well it came out.

Castle w/ IPhone5 by Chris Dikos, on Flickr

Wow!!!!!!! Ok so my problem must be user error! Here's a castle photo with my iPhone 7-

IMG_5162.JPG

Here's what I really want to correct even more than that- FIREWORKS!

My photos from my iPhone 7..even when the 7s comes out (I'm sure) do not get clear, sharp, photos. Especially from our room.

IMG_6327.JPG

The Olympus is going to cost me around $800 after accessories.. and I still need either the GoPro Hero Session, or a generic normal sized GoPro and accessories.. so for a 3rd camera I would want to be $300 or less. I had a DSLR, Nikon when my kid was a baby.. I left it in a stroller when we walked away while at a zoo, and it was stolen . Haven't bought another camera since, and don't really want to deal with lugging a DSLR around again.

21stamps

I have not really used the TG4 for anything more than pictures at our pool. I bought it specifically for going on a Disney Cruise to use at Castaway Cay. I will test it out more for general photos. I am looking for something that is about 10x zoom and takes better than cellphone pictures. People love their cellphone pics, but I think they are garbage. Panasonic was always a favorite camera of mine. I may just go with one of the Lumix cameras.

As for the GoPro, trust me, do not waste the money. All of those other brands you see on Amazon are from the same manufacturing line as GoPro. That Akaso EK7000 is a pretty awesome little camera. My GitUp 2 is a year old and better than the GoPro Hero 5 that is 5x more expensive. Honestly, I would buy it and not think twice. For $84, you can't beat that Akaso. I almost bought one. I am choosing to buy a camera that I can use more for general photos walking the World.

Yeah, the Hero 5 is not on my radar, GoPro Session or Akaso wannabe GoPro are my 2 choices.

I like Panasonic. I think the LUMIX gets good reviews. Have you checked out that one for your trip?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I want to look at them. As long as they take Full HD video, have some range, and can produce decent pictures, it will be a good fit. I need to look at some models at stores around here. I will take a look at some of the online reviews as well. I am not a Sony guy. After a fiasco with them on the original HDTVs, I will never go back to Sony.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I have tried to take fireworks photos. I have thought long and hard about it. In order to do it, you need all the gear: good DLSR, the right lens, tripod, remote shutter release, etc. From there, you need space and hope someone doesn't get in the way. Then, you need practice and lots of it. On a one week trip, that is a ton of time dedicated to getting pictures. If you live down there, close to Disney, then you learn the sequences, get a feel for where to shoot from, and go from there.

I will leave the fireworks photos to the pros. The reason for this small camera idea is to be able to snap the quick family photo or unusual photo opp that pops up here and there. I still kick myself in the rear for not stopping to take the EE picture covered in fog one morning. Visibility was maybe 100' and EE looked very ominous, more so riding it that way.

fractal

Did either of you look into mirrorless cameras? Interchangeable lens type. @sporadic advise is sound. Especially if you have a thing against Sony.

Small, lightweight, large sensor. For me, the perfect camera to lug around WDW and take great photos.

mousehockey37

I have tried to take fireworks photos. I have thought long and hard about it. In order to do it, you need all the gear: good DLSR, the right lens, tripod, remote shutter release, etc. From there, you need space and hope someone doesn't get in the way. Then, you need practice and lots of it. On a one week trip, that is a ton of time dedicated to getting pictures. If you live down there, close to Disney, then you learn the sequences, get a feel for where to shoot from, and go from there.

I will leave the fireworks photos to the pros. The reason for this small camera idea is to be able to snap the quick family photo or unusual photo opp that pops up here and there. I still kick myself in the rear for not stopping to take the EE picture covered in fog one morning. Visibility was maybe 100' and EE looked very ominous, more so riding it that way.

I have a Canon T3, use the kit lens (18-55mm), tripod that came in the bundle (it does the job) and my gf got me a shutter release that attaches by cord to the camera itself. I'd never done fireworks photos before our 2012 trip, but I found a spot, aimed the camera, put it in manual (bulb) and just hit the button. Came out with good and not so good stuff. There's gotta be a science to it, and maybe someday I'll get way deep into it, but I'm happy with the longer exposure stuff I get. So it's more a personal thing than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom