runDisney Race Availability Tracker

surfsupdon

Anybody think DLHalf will reopen at some point??

Has it already reopened and reclosed?

Will there be a "last chance to register?"

dreamfinder

Original Poster
Anybody think DLHalf will reopen at some point??

Has it already reopened and reclosed?

Will there be a "last chance to register?"

I didn't see any close/reopens for the DLR half or Dopey. Chance they were quick and I missed them, but at this point you may be out of luck. There is a chance that a charity group or travel agent will return some "unsold" bibs and those pop back up, or through a logistics change runDisney decides that they can handle more runners.

But as you can see from the main post(s), races have closed/re-opened several times, and we will never really know why. If it's a must do, your best steps would be to look into the travel agents/charity bibs. Otherwise just keep checking daily.

DLR seems to be in a serious state of flux right now. With the Star Wars Light Side postponing reg indefinitely, Super Heroes having nothing sold out, DLR Half events taking 6 months to sell out and the horror stories that surfaced from the Tinkerbell I wouldn't be surprised if they are having some serious discussions about how to run events out there.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
DLR seems to be in a serious state of flux right now. With the Star Wars Light Side postponing reg indefinitely, Super Heroes having nothing sold out, DLR Half events taking 6 months to sell out and the horror stories that surfaced from the Tinkerbell I wouldn't be surprised if they are having some serious discussions about how to run events out there.

Were there other issues beyond the lack of characters along the race courses?

I'm starting to get worried about the SW Light Side. With this long a delay in opening registration, it has to be more than "we're changing race names". Maybe the decision to use two temp agencies to staff the races wasn't such a good idea after all....

surfsupdon

I didn't see any close/reopens for the DLR half or Dopey. Chance they were quick and I missed them, but at this point you may be out of luck. There is a chance that a charity group or travel agent will return some "unsold" bibs and those pop back up, or through a logistics change runDisney decides that they can handle more runners.

But as you can see from the main post(s), races have closed/re-opened several times, and we will never really know why. If it's a must do, your best steps would be to look into the travel agents/charity bibs. Otherwise just keep checking daily.

I was able to get a bib!!!! I got the VERY LAST one from GET Sports, travel provider, and I am so relieved! Thanks for all the tips and help.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I was able to get a bib!!!! I got the VERY LAST one from GET Sports, travel provider, and I am so relieved! Thanks for all the tips and help.

Congrats! Hopefully, I'll be out in Anaheim the following weekend running in the SW Light Side...if registration ever opens. :mad:

Is this your first Dopey? Or did you decide to just go for the half?

dreamfinder

Original Poster
Were there other issues beyond the lack of characters along the race courses?

Lack of entertainment/support overall. Apparently many of the groups that would have normally come out along the streets, bands and the like, didn't due to the no free park ticket. Race workers being terribly staffed. No leadership among the temps, with agency A providing one set of rules and agency B doing things differently. Some places times/being over staffed, with others seriously understaffed. People being told to take breaks when the runners were coming to their area instead of before or after. Lack of photopass on course to take pictures. Serious issues with bag check/security causing the start of some races to be delayed while they tried to get as many people to the start as they could. A back up of several hours when traffic was trying to leave post race.

I didn't run so I'm hearing this 3rd hand, but saw enough people having issues in enough places to make me wonder what changed so much (other than switching from volunteers to temps) that would mess up so many things in what is otherwise a relatively well oiled machine.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Lack of entertainment/support overall. Apparently many of the groups that would have normally come out along the streets, bands and the like, didn't due to the no free park ticket. Race workers being terribly staffed. No leadership among the temps, with agency A providing one set of rules and agency B doing things differently. Some places times/being over staffed, with others seriously understaffed. People being told to take breaks when the runners were coming to their area instead of before or after. Lack of photopass on course to take pictures. Serious issues with bag check/security causing the start of some races to be delayed while they tried to get as many people to the start as they could. A back up of several hours when traffic was trying to leave post race.

I didn't run so I'm hearing this 3rd hand, but saw enough people having issues in enough places to make me wonder what changed so much (other than switching from volunteers to temps) that would mess up so many things in what is otherwise a relatively well oiled machine.

Thanks, @dreamfinder. So, as I commented previously, it appears that hiring temp staffing agencies to fix the issues runDisney stated unpaid volunteers weren't properly handling (coordinating road closures, LE coverage, etc.) didn't work out too well and may have resulted in more problems.

runDisney needs to re-evaluate their management of races at DLR....but leave WDW alone. This doesn't bode well for the upcoming Half in August. They'd better figure out what went wrong and fix it, or they will find participation in future races plummeting. I cannot imagine most runners would want to risk running in another mess like Tinkerbell was.

Really want to run in the Light Side. But if this is what races at DLR are becoming, I may reconsider. Or wait until the Half in August to see if similar problems occur. Provided Light Side registration doesn't open before then.

JZwizard

I want to sign up for the WDW Marathon and I see the other distances are already sold out. I'm trying to recruit some friends to do it with me, how much time do you think I have before the full marathon sells out?

dreamfinder

Original Poster
I want to sign up for the WDW Marathon and I see the other distances are already sold out. I'm trying to recruit some friends to do it with me, how much time do you think I have before the full marathon sells out?

That's a tough question. It's the 25th anniversary, so that in theory would help it sell out faster. Looking back, the 20th took just under 5 months, 21st 4 months, 22nd 1 month, 23rd 6 1/2 months, 24th didn't sell out. So it's been open for about 4 months, but sell outs have been all over the place. If you want to run it either way, then you should sign up as soon as you can. But since they don't post the percentages anymore, it's really hard to say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom