If I could improve Walt Disney World....

mharrington

I was originally going to have another Toontown-like area in the Magic Kingdom, in the back corner of the park, like so:
mk-roa-replacement-jpg.129704

As you can see, this takes a cue from Disneyland's installation of the Star Wars land by reducing and rerouting the Rivers of America and improving traffic flow besides. Note the footpaths and bridges on the new island - only keelboats will now travel the river; the rafts are now obsolete and will be nixed and the Liberty Belle Riverboat will now become a restaurant.

Anyway, back on topic, the new land will be a land home to Mickey and the gang, but whereas previously I was thinking of another Toontown-like area back there, called Mickey's Startown, I am now thinking of doing it over either as a revival and expansion of sorts of Camp Minnie-Mickey from the Animal Kingdom or as a beach-themed area. I'm kind of leaning towards the camp theme in order to fit better with the Frontierland/Liberty Square theme, but the beach idea holds water (so to speak), too, if only because of this one event from Tokyo Disneyland, which features a Disney song called "Splashdance":

Another thing I want to take into account is the WDW Railroad that will surely be visible from this area.

spacemt354

Chili's
I was originally going to have another Toontown-like area in the Magic Kingdom, in the back corner of the park, like so:
mk-roa-replacement-jpg.129704

As you can see, this takes a cue from Disneyland's installation of the Star Wars land by reducing and rerouting the Rivers of America and improving traffic flow besides. Note the footpaths and bridges on the new island - only keelboats will now travel the river; the rafts are now obsolete and will be nixed and the Liberty Belle Riverboat will now become a restaurant.

Anyway, back on topic, the new land will be a land home to Mickey and the gang, but whereas previously I was thinking of another Toontown-like area back there, called Mickey's Startown, I am now thinking of doing it over either as a revival and expansion of sorts of Camp Minnie-Mickey from the Animal Kingdom or as a beach-themed area. I'm kind of leaning towards the camp theme in order to fit better with the Frontierland/Liberty Square theme, but the beach idea holds water (so to speak), too, if only because of this one event from Tokyo Disneyland, which features a Disney song called "Splashdance":

Another thing I want to take into account is the WDW Railroad that will surely be visible from this area.

Did you make that map? It's really good!

mharrington

Did you make that map? It's really good!

Sort of. I just took part of a preexisting map from Wiki Maps or wherever and tried to alter it accordingly. So what do you think of my idea for the Mickey-themed area back there? I can't decide which one: camp or beach? The camp one makes sense due to the area's proximity to Frontierland and Liberty Square (not to mention it can be a revival of sorts of an old land), but the beach theme also holds water, as it were, with me, too.

BenJacobs

Sort of. I just took part of a preexisting map from Wiki Maps or wherever and tried to alter it accordingly. So what do you think of my idea for the Mickey-themed area back there? I can't decide which one: camp or beach? The camp one makes sense due to the area's proximity to Frontierland and Liberty Square (not to mention it can be a revival of sorts of an old land), but the beach theme also holds water, as it were, with me, too.

Truthfully, not to hate, but in my opinion, the camps have nothing that good to do... Any land in the theme parks is valuable, and I think a camp type idea would be a waste of space that could have gone to make something amazing - would you have Camp Minnie Mickey, with a few meet and greets, or Avatar Land, with stunning theming and rides/attractions(also, a major, stunning expansion would have a meet and greet with someone anyway). Said land could make an amazing expansion with high quality rides, shows and restaurants, that's what I think.

mharrington

Truthfully, not to hate, but in my opinion, the camps have nothing that good to do... Any land in the theme parks is valuable, and I think a camp type idea would be a waste of space that could have gone to make something amazing - would you have Camp Minnie Mickey, with a few meet and greets, or Avatar Land, with stunning theming and rides/attractions(also, a major, stunning expansion would have a meet and greet with someone anyway). Said land could make an amazing expansion with high quality rides, shows and restaurants, that's what I think.

This would be an improved version of Camp Minnie-Mickey. It will be nothing like the seemingly temporary place with just a few character trails and some (in hindsight) ill-fitting shows. It will have real attractions. The only two things this CMM has in common with the old one are the name and the overall theme.

Besides, I really want to have a land for Mickey and the gang to call their own - in addition to having attractions in other lands in the park. The Startown concept really doesn't fit back there thematically.

BenJacobs

This would be an improved version of Camp Minnie-Mickey. It will be nothing like the seemingly temporary place with just a few character trails and some (in hindsight) ill-fitting shows. It will have real attractions. The only thing this CMM has in common with the old one are the name and the overall theme.

Besides, I really want to have a land for Mickey and the gang to call their own - in addition to having attractions in other lands in the park. The Startown concept really doesn't fit back there thematically.

Well then, what about the Circus area(whatever it's called), which is simlar to Mickey's Toontown in California(maybe a bit smaller), there are sone meet and greets, dumbo and the barnstormer, could they not just add a dark ride onto the back of that?

mharrington

Well then, what about the Circus area(whatever it's called), which is simlar to Mickey's Toontown in California(maybe a bit smaller), there are sone meet and greets, dumbo and the barnstormer, could they not just add a dark ride onto the back of that?

I've been thinking about the Madcap Circus idea, but more recently, someone else provided their own Mickey dark ride in the park, on Main Street, located in what is currently the Tinkerbell meet-n-greet spot in the Town Square Theater (or at least it was, I don't know if it is now). It's in the style of Mr. Toad, and I thought it looked good.

But I kind of feel that Mickey and friends are kind of ignored as little more than figureheads, and I want to change that.

BenJacobs

I've been thinking about the Madcap Circus idea, but more recently, someone else provided their own Mickey dark ride in the park, on Main Street, located in what is currently the Tinkerbell meet-n-greet spot in the Town Square Theater (or at least it was, I don't know if it is now). It's in the style of Mr. Toad, and I thought it looked good.

But I kind of feel that Mickey and friends are kind of ignored as little more than figureheads, and I want to change that.

I agree, but I also think that it would be difficult to create a good land themed around mickey and pals, it would need at least one E or D ticket attraction, otherwise nobody would use the area and it would end up just being replaced.

mharrington

I agree, but I also think that it would be difficult to create a good land themed around mickey and pals, it would need at least one E or D ticket attraction, otherwise nobody would use the area and it would end up just being replaced.

Why does it seem like the only "solution" to any park's "problems" is an E ticket attraction?

And they have done some at least one good land based around Mickey and friends: namely, Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland. So who's to say that the CMM concept can't be reworked? One thing I was thinking of was an eatery similar to the new Camp Woodchuck Kitchen in Tokyo Disneyland. That's just for example.

Last edited:

mharrington

I'm kind of on the fence about whether to do Mickey's Magical Madcap Adventure or Mickey's Colorfully Timeless Twist on Main Street. The reason I am indecisive between the two is while they both sound appealing to me, I'm kinda favoring Timeless Twist, as it features elements of Mickey's old cartoons. But the rumor of the Great Movie Ride being replaced by a Mickey ride like this seems to make the Timeless Twist concept kind of redundant.

I'm trying to keep open on how things turn out (one idea will be still available as backup if the other concept happens), but I'd be disappointed if I didn't get to have a ride referencing shorts in the Magic Kingdom rather than the Studios, which is where the Great Movie Ride obviously is.

brb1006

You know if a Zootopia attraction was ever made it should be based on the Monsters Inc ride at Tokyo called Ride & Go Seek.

brb1006

What about The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman and Transformers?
While those might sound interesting, the reason I chose Ride & Go Seek is because the ride is interactive (Your flashlights on your ride vehicle can cause the hats to glow and causes monsters and other things to happen). And a Zootopia version of this would be perfect.

The Zootopia version of this would take place after the events of the movie and has Judy and Nick inviting guests on a new crime case that involves an active police chase and robbery at Zootopia. I'm seeing the ride vehicle being based on either the Meter Maid car or a police car. The ride vehicle contains 4 flashlights that can cause interactive stuff to happen.

BenJacobs

img_0115-jpg.206891
img_0118-jpg.206892
Many changes basically, everything is new, just about, most buildings replaced or given an overlay, mostly in the same layout.

1. Everything will have a new look, quite like in Shanghai, of concrete and large panes of glass, which all looks smoothand clean. There would be quite a lot of green and landscaped gardens, maybe.
2. Tron Lightcycle Power Run, entrance in expanded area, twice as long as in Shanghai. Would launch out at 60+mph, pass through basically all of Tomorrowland before entering a second building, after some twists and turns, launches out through a lit, pulsing tunnel under part of Tomorrowland to emerge through a hole in the lake, wheels now red rather than blue, to race another train on the first outdoor section, before going back into the first building, wheels turning blue, goes through some twists and turns again, then ends.
3. New, high tech, modern Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, next to Tron.
4. New dark ride, or maybe simulator type ride, where Buzz was.
5. Carousel of Progress would remain, a new, ultra modern/ultra futuristic revolving restaurant would be built on top.
6. The return of Alien Encounter.
7. Modern looking jet packs ride, like in Shanghai, would replace the astro orbiters. They would, however, extend the arms of each jet pack, so you're flying far over tomorrowland at much higher speeds.
8. New quick service restaurant with some special feature, such as ordering from your table and automated food delivery through tracks.
9. Large Lake created, modern, landscaped, like a large version of a pond in West Future World, add some fish.
10. Quick service restaurant outdoor, with views of Space Mountain and Tron.
11. Space Mountain would remain the same.
12. The peoplemover would be extended a lot, pass through new rides, and Space Mountain still.

BenJacobs

IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0129.PNG
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg

Epcot Improvements:

1. Extend Test Track outdoor portion.
2. New central area, very modern, buildings in the same layout(green), glass canopy over centre(blue), shops, sit down restaurant, quick service, starbucks.
3. Replace Ellen with a large new dark ride or indoor themed roller coaster(tine racers possibly).
4. New Innoventions pavillion where there are some smaller exhibits/attractions, as well as a slow ride going past labs where real innovation is taking place.
5. Rainforest medium-speed launched coaster, theme of conservation.
6. Rapids ride either part of the Land pavillion or the Canada pavillion, similar to Grizzly River Run.
7. New UK dark ride, either IP based or factual.
8. Ratatouille ride in France pavillion.
9. Aladin dark ride in Morocco.
10. Mt. Fuji coaster in Japan. Uncover a forgotten legend about the Temple of the God of Fire, which is real legend about Mt. Fuji, but Disney can alter it a bit as it's 'forgotten'. See some scenes about the story, before angering the god of Fire and being launched into the heart of the mountain through caves and a central open temple space.
11. Italy factual boat ride.
12. Switzerland pavillion, the Matterhorn!
13. Bring back Maelstrom!
14. Many areas for expansion, you could make a secondary world showcase in 2 and 3, with at least 5 more pavillions.
15. Maybe make the car park into some massive multistoreys to the side, then build a hotel or water park in the rest of the space of the old car park.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.PNG
    IMG_0130.PNG
    444.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0128.PNG
    IMG_0128.PNG
    429.7 KB · Views: 61

warfelg

Daily Question (April 6th 2017)
I'm so lazy :p

How could Marvel be integrated into the WDW Resort Area if the Universal contract did not exist? XMen, Avengers, Defenders, Guardians are all fair game. :)

Ok, so I know this is diving back a bit and I know that some people have already answered with Hollywood Studios, but I disagree:

I think the answer is staring us right in the face from Iron Man 2 - turn the expo part of Epcot into "Stark Expo". Full on. I wouldn't do anything with defenders or XMen. All Avengers and GotG based. Each major hero/group gets their own pavilion.

Each pavilion gets multiple attractions tied to it. Rides, shows, showcases. I would include set and prop items in the pavilions too.

So to integrate it all - I propose the East Side becomes the "universe/multi-dimensional" side.
It certainly sounds like Universe of Energy is becoming a GotG center. Indoor launch rollercoaser themed around an intergalatic battle of the Kree vs the Guardians. A film show like the old Cranium Command that features trying to help Rocket Raccoon. Main gathering area designed to look like the collectors showroom.

Wonders of Life transformed into a Thor pavilion. Revive the old Body Wars area into a VR motion rig tour of Asgard by Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. Old Cranium Command area is a 3D show of the history of the realms from Himdall. In the main gathering area a recreation of the Asgardian throne for pictures and character encounters. At the middle a show called "Who is worthy?" with Mjolnir on a rock and people are chosen to try to lift it.

Mission Space turned into a Dr Strange pavilion. The ride is turned into a interdimensional battle with Dr Strange against the Mindless Ones and Dormammu. A show called "The Science of Magic". The main area being designed to look like the Sanctum Sanctorum with all his artifacts.

Test Track ok so I go a bit off the movie universe here into the AoS territory, and retheme this pavilion off of Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider. Redo the entire night with a "Wild night with Robbie" theme where you start with just a cruise, and he turns into Ghost Rider part way through. A walkthrough exhibit of the history of the demon.

Odyssey Center would become the center of all things villainous of Marvel. Thanos, Ultron, Hydra. I think a cool ride would be a simulator where the riders are tasked with helping villains across the galaxy steal the infinity stones, but at each stop another hero is there to thwart you.

On the other side the West Side becomes the "Earth Based" hero side.
Imagination gets a big makeover to look like a smaller Stark tower. A science of Iron Man area. An all educational area about clean energy. And, I know this might draw some ire, a B&M lay down launch coaster VR experience called "Iron Man First Flight" where you ride along with Tony as he takes his first test flight in a new suit.

The Land becomes a Captain America and Friends pavilion. There's a ton to unwrap there, but Soarin' can be redone to thematically be a tour of the world with the Falcon. All the same but add in some shots with him leading the way and narration by the Falcon. A people mover ride that is the history of the Winter Soldier. And a show with Captain America called "Feats of Strength and Agility" where people are hooked up to stuff and use of props to make people look stronger and more agile than they really are.

The Seas is turned into all things Hulk. A motion simulator and screen ride (yes similar to what Universal uses) to journey with Banner into the battle for New York (from the first Avengers) where you ride along as he races to the city, get there, see the climatic arrival, and in a cool moment - Ant-Man shrinks you down to sit on Hulk's shoulder.

There's still space on that side to add another pavilion for Black Panther and do some really cool technology things for Wakanda and a cool ride based around that, but the key thing will be a show that celebrates the history of Wakanda.

Whew! Sorry that was so long winded.

BenJacobs

Ok, so I know this is diving back a bit and I know that some people have already answered with Hollywood Studios, but I disagree:

I think the answer is staring us right in the face from Iron Man 2 - turn the expo part of Epcot into "Stark Expo". Full on. I wouldn't do anything with defenders or XMen. All Avengers and GotG based. Each major hero/group gets their own pavilion.

Each pavilion gets multiple attractions tied to it. Rides, shows, showcases. I would include set and prop items in the pavilions too.

So to integrate it all - I propose the East Side becomes the "universe/multi-dimensional" side.
It certainly sounds like Universe of Energy is becoming a GotG center. Indoor launch rollercoaser themed around an intergalatic battle of the Kree vs the Guardians. A film show like the old Cranium Command that features trying to help Rocket Raccoon. Main gathering area designed to look like the collectors showroom.

Wonders of Life transformed into a Thor pavilion. Revive the old Body Wars area into a VR motion rig tour of Asgard by Lady Sif and the Warriors Three. Old Cranium Command area is a 3D show of the history of the realms from Himdall. In the main gathering area a recreation of the Asgardian throne for pictures and character encounters. At the middle a show called "Who is worthy?" with Mjolnir on a rock and people are chosen to try to lift it.

Mission Space turned into a Dr Strange pavilion. The ride is turned into a interdimensional battle with Dr Strange against the Mindless Ones and Dormammu. A show called "The Science of Magic". The main area being designed to look like the Sanctum Sanctorum with all his artifacts.

Test Track ok so I go a bit off the movie universe here into the AoS territory, and retheme this pavilion off of Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider. Redo the entire night with a "Wild night with Robbie" theme where you start with just a cruise, and he turns into Ghost Rider part way through. A walkthrough exhibit of the history of the demon.

Odyssey Center would become the center of all things villainous of Marvel. Thanos, Ultron, Hydra. I think a cool ride would be a simulator where the riders are tasked with helping villains across the galaxy steal the infinity stones, but at each stop another hero is there to thwart you.

On the other side the West Side becomes the "Earth Based" hero side.
Imagination gets a big makeover to look like a smaller Stark tower. A science of Iron Man area. An all educational area about clean energy. And, I know this might draw some ire, a B&M lay down launch coaster VR experience called "Iron Man First Flight" where you ride along with Tony as he takes his first test flight in a new suit.

The Land becomes a Captain America and Friends pavilion. There's a ton to unwrap there, but Soarin' can be redone to thematically be a tour of the world with the Falcon. All the same but add in some shots with him leading the way and narration by the Falcon. A people mover ride that is the history of the Winter Soldier. And a show with Captain America called "Feats of Strength and Agility" where people are hooked up to stuff and use of props to make people look stronger and more agile than they really are.

The Seas is turned into all things Hulk. A motion simulator and screen ride (yes similar to what Universal uses) to journey with Banner into the battle for New York (from the first Avengers) where you ride along as he races to the city, get there, see the climatic arrival, and in a cool moment - Ant-Man shrinks you down to sit on Hulk's shoulder.

There's still space on that side to add another pavilion for Black Panther and do some really cool technology things for Wakanda and a cool ride based around that, but the key thing will be a show that celebrates the history of Wakanda.

Whew! Sorry that was so long winded.

I'm afraid I agree with those who would out a Marvel Land into Hollywood Studios. Epcot's central theme is about technology, the world and it's future - not only would not many IP based rides fot into Epcot, but an IP based land would definitely not fit, and changing half of Epcot to be IP based just doesn't work, and doesn't fit with Epcot's ideologies(also, how would the world showcase and a marvel land fit together).

Whereas, Hollywood Studios' central theme is about Disney and Disney related films, it's where IP based lands can only fit, with the exception of Avatar Land, which is an obvious fit for Animal Kingdom as it's based on nature. Of course, IP based rides do fit elsewhere, but some just don't fit in certain parks, Marvel only fits into Hollywood Studios, and maybe a one off ride in Tomorrowland, yet it fits in neither Animal Kingdom nor Epcot.

A Marvel Land in Hollywood studios could have super high tech ride systems, like are seen in Universal, as everywhere Disney wants it to be more personal than Universal, less screens, less reliant on technology, but there's a lot of tech in Marvel, so showing that you can make revolutionary ride systems can only really be showcased in a Marvel Land.

warfelg

I'm afraid I agree with those who would out a Marvel Land into Hollywood Studios. Epcot's central theme is about technology, the world and it's future - not only would not many IP based rides fot into Epcot, but an IP based land would definitely not fit, and changing half of Epcot to be IP based just doesn't work, and doesn't fit with Epcot's ideologies(also, how would the world showcase and a marvel land fit together).

Whereas, Hollywood Studios' central theme is about Disney and Disney related films, it's where IP based lands can only fit, with the exception of Avatar Land, which is an obvious fit for Animal Kingdom as it's based on nature. Of course, IP based rides do fit elsewhere, but some just don't fit in certain parks, Marvel only fits into Hollywood Studios, and maybe a one off ride in Tomorrowland, yet it fits in neither Animal Kingdom nor Epcot.

A Marvel Land in Hollywood studios could have super high tech ride systems, like are seen in Universal, as everywhere Disney wants it to be more personal than Universal, less screens, less reliant on technology, but there's a lot of tech in Marvel, so showing that you can make revolutionary ride systems can only really be showcased in a Marvel Land.

IMO it's all in how it's integrated. Epcot is supposed to be like a world's fair, so borrowing the idea of Stark Expo to make the land and transform it to real life makes use of Epcot's layout already revolving around that.

My issue with Hollywood studios is you're going to end up with one or two main attractions then a few "copy and paste" attractions that are just typical rides built out with Marvel Character names.

My other opinion is that Epcot is kinda fading as a concept and needs an injection of energy that will carry it into the future. The reason it's fading is companies hesitate at sponsoring pavilions anymore and pay the cost to keep them up to date as technology and understanding advances. This is a way to not have to continually update rides as technology advances but keep up to date.

spacemt354

Chili's
IMO it's all in how it's integrated. Epcot is supposed to be like a world's fair, so borrowing the idea of Stark Expo to make the land and transform it to real life makes use of Epcot's layout already revolving around that.

My issue with Hollywood studios is you're going to end up with one or two main attractions then a few "copy and paste" attractions that are just typical rides built out with Marvel Character names.

My other opinion is that Epcot is kinda fading as a concept and needs an injection of energy that will carry it into the future. The reason it's fading is companies hesitate at sponsoring pavilions anymore and pay the cost to keep them up to date as technology and understanding advances. This is a way to not have to continually update rides as technology advances but keep up to date.
The issue I see with this is half of these characters can't be used in WDW due to the Marvel contract with Universal. Guardians, Dr. Strange, and I'm assuming characters like Black Panther and Ant Man are accessible.

But the core four of Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America definitely can't be used in a Disney Park east of the Mississippi.

BenJacobs

Epcot is supposed to be about real life, the concept still works completely if Epcot is continually updated to meet modern standards, and there is rumored to be a massive Future World renovation which would make it all up to date.

Disney no longer needs sponsors, it's an outdated concept, they can pay for everything on their own if they want to, so a lack of sponsors doesn't matter.

Also, by changing Future World to Stark Expo, you're basically changing it into Hollywood Studios, as it would now, like Hollywood Studios, be mostly IP based. There is a place for rides based on films, Epcot isn't it. Also, people really like Epcot, and wouldn't want it to be transformed - it's my favourite park, and many other people's favourite as well - if it were changed into a Marvel based theme park, there would be outcry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom