Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

Disney Analyst

Rivers of America's new frontier is coming together almost as if the people who worked on this project completely understood that SWL was an awful fit for the park and they did everything in the power to make work as best as possible. The team behind this project is just as passionate about Keeping Disneyland Great as we are. RoA will look even better once the southern side of SWL gets done as that is where a lot of the higher peaks will be to help blend the tree line and mountains together. It will take a while to get there as Alcatraz will be viewable for a while. Once the work goes completely inside the berm, it should start moving faster then.

I tried my best to reassure you all along it was going to be ok. I'll personally feel a bit better when we see the Twain, Columbia, and canoes all on the water at the same time - they will still need to confirm the timing of the two big ships once they get closer to opening to make sure it will work. This is the only real wild card left on the table at this point. Going into the project, they weren't sure if they could keep all 3 running on busy days since the loop time around the island is going to be shorter.

Once this "opens" in a few weeks time, please make sure you express your gratitude to the team behind it (they do read what we say believe it or not). They deserve a tip-of-the-hat for the work they've done on this project. They made the square SW peg fit as painlessly as they could into the round hole they were given for this project.

I believe it's been said the plan is to slow them all down, so ride time won't differ.

Phroobar

The part I don't like is how narrow the river looks by the Hungry Bear. That used to be my favorite place to eat and feed the ducks. Now it will be an extended queue for Battle Escape.

JediMasterMatt

I believe it's been said the plan is to slow them all down, so ride time won't differ.

That is an option that's under consideration (and the likely outcome); but, until they are able to get the river released back to Ops and try it out along with the canoes and TSI's raft... they won't know for sure.

When I was first told about this project, it was one of those question marks that they won't know for sure until they get to try it.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think all the trees along the riverbank where the rock work is just haven't been planted yet. I'm sure the Imagineers plan to break up the look of all that rock with some greenery.

TP2000

Original Poster
That is pretty much what this is but less Splash Mountain looking.

Train%201.jpg

Train%2011.jpg

Exactly, but in Anaheim it will have much more depth with a lower level beneath the tracks for more trees and greenery. It will have a softer look in Anaheim with more vegetation and the ability to place fiberglass animals and scenery along the waterline.

Tokyo's River is just a big wall as the railroad skirts Splash Mountain. Anaheim's new River has a lot more space and land to work with.

It's like the difference in sizes of everything in Tokyo from cars to hotel rooms, very tiny. Here's the Courtyard by Marriott "double bed" hotel room at Tokyo Station for $300 a night... (Seriously)
tyogz_main02_r.jpg

Here's the Courtyard by Marriott hotel room across the street from Disneyland for $300 a night...
11476917_27_z.jpg

Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland is fabulous. But when it comes to size and acreage, Anaheim's new Rivers of America is going to win.

SuddenStorm

They'll slow them down until the horde comes when SWL opens. Then, I can imagine the river boats will be running full speed around the river to help keep wait times low.

I imagine for the next couple years, demand for the boats will greatly increase due to all the new stuff to see along the rivers.

mickEblu

Rivers of America's new frontier is coming together almost as if the people who worked on this project completely understood that SWL was an awful fit for the park and they did everything in the power to make work as best as possible. The team behind this project is just as passionate about Keeping Disneyland Great as we are. RoA will look even better once the southern side of SWL gets done as that is where a lot of the higher peaks will be to help blend the tree line and mountains together. It will take a while to get there as Alcatraz will be viewable for a while. Once the work goes completely inside the berm, it should start moving faster then.

I tried my best to reassure you all along it was going to be ok. I'll personally feel a bit better when we see the Twain, Columbia, and canoes all on the water at the same time - they will still need to confirm the timing of the two big ships once they get closer to opening to make sure it will work. This is the only real wild card left on the table at this point. Going into the project, they weren't sure if they could keep all 3 running on busy days since the loop time around the island is going to be shorter.

Once this "opens" in a few weeks time, please make sure you express your gratitude to the team behind it (they do read what we say believe it or not). They deserve a tip-of-the-hat for the work they've done on this project. They made the square SW peg fit as painlessly as they could into the round hole they were given for this project.

Yes indeed this team does deserve credit. Now the GOTG:MB team on the other hand....I just hope they haven't come on this site and read any of my posts. Although most of them were anti-Chapek and nothing to do with them. It's hard for me to believe that Chapek sent down the mandate that GOTG had to be an eclectic oil refinery. I wish the new tower looked more like the bottom half with the color schemes of the new sign they unveiled the other day.

D

Deleted member 107043

Here's the first blog post confirming the return of the ROA this summer from perky Erin Glover:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...o-disneyland-park-this-summer-with-new-magic/

The Rivers of America will continue to celebrate the Mississippi, Columbia, Missouri and Rio Grande rivers, enhanced now with a new Columbia Gorge section, highlighted by thundering waterfalls – signaling the return of large waterfalls to the rivers. Longtime Disneyland park fans will remember Big Thunder River Waterfall and Twin Sisters Waterfall; five spectacular new waterfalls along the Rivers of America harken back to these favorites – all on display for guests aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes.

In addition to the new waterfalls, Disneyland park fans will spot some familiar faces along the Rivers of America as well as throwbacks to Frontierland’s past. The Indian Village, now in a new location, will include a more prominently featured Shaman, seen telling the story of how the hummingbird taught the Indian chief to make a flute.

No real news here for those of us who have been watching this closely other than the confirmation that there will be five waterfalls. Still no opening date. I'm betting on or around Independence Day or Disneyland's anniversary, July 17.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

Did you just make this about GoTG? I gotta give it to you, your commitment to your dislike of the ToT to Mission Breakout transformation is impressive. :D

LOL thank you sir. But is interesting to ponder. Are some of the same imagineers working on both projects? How the imagineers feel about the GOTG project and specifically how the SWL imagineers feel about the GOTG project as they seem to get it. Then again they were tasked with preserving the ROA and Charm at the mother of all parks... DL. Little different scenario. Maybe @JediMasterMatt can shed some light?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

At the risk of starting a debate I think these two projects (MB & ROA) are both great and show how diverse imagineering artistry can be. I completely get why some people prefer Disney to be expressed in a traditional manner all the time, but I kind of like it when they mix it up and experiment a little. I prefer a little Hunchback and Fantasia mixed in with my Nemo and Cinderella now and then. :D

There's a close adherence to classic magic kingdom design in the ROA project, and it looks wonderful. It's easy to comprehend and it appears to be something that might have been there since the park's early years. MB, on the other hand, is big and bold, clearly expressing not just the outlandish spirit of the GoTG franchise but the Marvel universe in general. The story and details are fresh, different, and something we've never seen before, but still uniquely Disney. I like them both but for different reasons.

BTW last night I was texting a friend who is a Disney nerd, ex WDW cast member, and DL APer, and without even asking he described the MB exterior as "beautiful". :hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

I don't like the uniform height of the rocks. It looks kinda daffy. It looks better in the concept art.

I know the rock cliffs in SWL will make the rock wall appear less uniform and that they ll be adding more trees but I don't understand why It had to be so uniform.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's kind of crazy how much further south the park's berm and the DLRR were moved. Now the train won't be passing too far from the "jumping fish" pond along Big Thunder Trail.

DSC_0067.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom