New Addition's To Disney's Animal Kingdom

deWild

As mentioned before, Rafiki's Planet Watch is home to the park's animal hospitals and stuff. Of course, you could always just make the building into a behind the scenes tour upcharge if you were to get rid of the Wildlife Express in using the northeast expansion pad.

The animal hospitals are in a relatively close location to the safaris, so they should probably stay where they are. I wouldn't mind having the buildings receive a retheme whenever a future expansion does happen to occur. For the love of Mickey though, I have a difficult time believing Zootopia would fit AK. I think it'd be dope if AK received another original attraction/land that meets the quality and storytelling of Everest someday. (I know the Yeti is broken)

raymusiccity

A great place for a Lion King dark ride

Another random thought:. It would be awesome to resurrect the great music and floats from the Jammin Jungle Parade. (If they haven't already been relagated to the chipper.) There's already a seasonal component ready to go with Jingle Jungle Parade. It was an awkward parade route, but, anyone who was fortunate to have seen it, has fond memories!

The ' Lion King Show ' has made efficient use of former parade floats. Maybe Jammin could become some imagineers pet project!

Animaniac93-98

While I really would like to see Lion King and Jungle Book get dark rides, I don't want a book report ride a la Little Mermaid.

I'd be okay with something similar to either of these:
  • Simba's Scary Adventures- elephant graveyard, stampede, Scar & hyenas

Both MK and DHS have their own "spooky" rides. While I'm not big on adding more LK, it would be nice if AK had some kind of equivalent.

AKL2003

Plans were mooted for a Lion King dark ride to complement the new theatre. Obviously they haven't happened yet. (Thats not a hint)
That would be amazing!! Africa/Harambe was done so so so well, this would have put it waaaaay over the top IMO....

Ralphlaw

What most of us don't remember is that a marketing ploy of WDW was the huge variety of experiences that would come from a Disney vacation. Four parks, two waterparks, downtown entertainment district, additional activities like fishing and horseback riding, and all the rest. In the early 2000's the vacation video flashed around different areas of the resort to show the amazing variety. My son, who was into dinos at the time, was very excited about digging bones in dinoland. That headless sauropod and nets around those areas were exciting for a 4 year old, and unique from anything else at AK (or really anywhere on property, at least to a 4 year old). The 3 rides were also a good variety for the family, but the carnival game area just seemed silly, although perhaps it was thought that it would give some adults and teens something to do while the young kids dug and climbed.

Put another way, unified theming was not a primary goal overall. I do not think it really is right now either. Nevertheless, when AK first opened, the mystique was that of an African savannah in Florida that was not a zoo. Sounds great, but what will the youngest kids do? Thus Dinoland. It fit the need for a little kid area, bringing fun with a somewhat unique coaster and dumbo like dino ride. The theming was a trite idea that never worked, but it certainly was a departure from the more serious areas of AK.

Now, we have an Oscar winner in Zootopia, and Disney is not about to let that profitable film remain untied to the parks. It's coming, but where? Personally, I really like the idea of a primordial dinosaur area staying at AK. I hope we don't lose it, and I also hope we don't trivialize the natural overall theming of AK too much. Yeah, Pandora and EE already do that, but I am hopeful that it won't go too far beyond that and make Kilimanjaro an after thought. Put Zootopia somewhere distinct, and keep AK as a natural extension of World Showcase with animals as opposed to another IP-driven profit grab.

Doug Means

What most of us don't remember is that a marketing ploy of WDW was the huge variety of experiences that would come from a Disney vacation. Four parks, two waterparks, downtown entertainment district, additional activities like fishing and horseback riding, and all the rest. In the early 2000's the vacation video flashed around different areas of the resort to show the amazing variety. My son, who was into dinos at the time, was very excited about digging bones in dinoland. That headless sauropod and nets around those areas were exciting for a 4 year old, and unique from anything else at AK (or really anywhere on property, at least to a 4 year old). The 3 rides were also a good variety for the family, but the carnival game area just seemed silly, although perhaps it was thought that it would give some adults and teens something to do while the young kids dug and climbed.

Put another way, unified theming was not a primary goal overall. I do not think it really is right now either. Nevertheless, when AK first opened, the mystique was that of an African savannah in Florida that was not a zoo. Sounds great, but what will the youngest kids do? Thus Dinoland. It fit the need for a little kid area, bringing fun with a somewhat unique coaster and dumbo like dino ride. The theming was a trite idea that never worked, but it certainly was a departure from the more serious areas of AK.

Now, we have an Oscar winner in Zootopia, and Disney is not about to let that profitable film remain untied to the parks. It's coming, but where? Personally, I really like the idea of a primordial dinosaur area staying at AK. I hope we don't lose it, and I also hope we don't trivialize the natural overall theming of AK too much. Yeah, Pandora and EE already do that, but I am hopeful that it won't go too far beyond that and make Kilimanjaro an after thought. Put Zootopia somewhere distinct, and keep AK as a natural extension of World Showcase with animals as opposed to another IP-driven profit grab.
well said

Bocabear

What does mystic manor have to do with anything in AK?
about as much as Chester aand Hester do...
A roadside carnival themed to dinosaurs versus the home and collections of a world explorer...could also be a place to have exhibits of some of the more unusual flora and fauna from around the world... like the Maharajah Jungle Trek, a Lord Henry Mystic Menagerie of the unusual and Bizarre. It would certainlt be more engaging than a spinner, a spinning coaster and some carny games...Certainly more beautiful with more opportunities for educational expansion.

Robbiem

I love the idea of turning dinoland into a valley of the gwangi style steam punk area a la discovery bay. It could really fit with the edutainment aspects of AK as well by educating about the great bone hunting days and the changes the railroads brought to the west. A reskin of dinosaur to a steampunk time travel thril ride would be great. If energy is closing at EPCOT move the dinos over and build a rift on natures wonderland- you are on a small train as part of a construction railroad and travel through a lost valley filled with dinos - could be made to be a good family ride with an eco message. A journey to the centre of the earth style ride from Tokyo could also fit here based on the idea of disturbing something during the 49er gold rush (more scope for an eco message on mining and its impact).

I also love the ideas for a jungle book boat ride. I always thought this would be perfect for a splash mountain type ride - Mowgli leaves the man village you float though trust in me with Kaa then meet baloo for bear necessities before a big show stopper of I wanna be like you in king Louie's temple, the beatle buzzards / colonel harts give you a warning before an encounter with sheer Khan and a final drop into my own home which brings you back to the man village, I would love to see this here or in an adventureland of a park without splash mountain

Brer Oswald

If they wanted to add IPs, a Jungle Book ride in Asia would make sense; there's always the possibility of additional Lion King content in Africa (or using Tarzan); and then there's a multitude of options from over the years like Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp, Pocohontas, etc. that could be used.

That said, I would agree that Zootopia would likely be a leading candidate, though it's a terrible fit for the park.
Maybe they could give Kali River rapids an actual story by retheming it to Jungle Book? They could even add some length to the overall attraction.

Brer Oswald

I don't think Zootopia fits Future World either. I could see it replacing Rafiki's and you take the train into the world of Zootopia. I don't love it in AK but I can't see it anywhere else IMHO.
That's what I was thinking. It'd be a way to segment the land away from the others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom