Debating Cancelling.. Need input from Multi Line Cruisers Please!

21stamps

Original Poster
In 2016 I cancelled a Fantasy Western Caribbean Very Merrytime cruise after final payment, due to work related vacation time...and my kid choosing WDW over DCL for the time I did have available.

I then booked the same cruise for this year.. but, decided to do NCL the week of Thanksgiving instead.. so changed my DCL cruise to a Star Wars Day at Sea one in February.

Now I'm second guessing this. I don't want to cruise in February, I can't go in the Spring.. and I don't know if my kid, who just turned 7, almost 8 by the time we travel, will enjoy DCL as much as he would have a year ago.

For those who have done any of NCL or RCCL's newer ships with kids that age-

Please give your opinion!
Will DCL be less fun for them after being on the mega ships?

He won't spend a lot of time in the kid's club. The one thing I really like about NCL is that there are so many activities we can do together..even with their kids Club, they have family events.

21stamps

Original Poster
@ChuckElias thoughts please.

We are currently booked on the Escape and Getaway.. and then the DCL Fantasy in 2018.
I'm debating either trying the Royal Caribbean's Oasis or the upcoming NCL Bliss instead.

Is DCL a must do once? Even with a kid who's a thrill seeker?

DisneyJoe

Why don't you want to cruise in February? I've cruised in January, February, and March, and had an awesome time all 3 times, only the January had some slightly chilly water at Castaway Cay - and my son still swam in it. Both my sons would love to be on a Star Wars cruise, my wife and I would too.

Miceberg

If you're choosing between the newer NCL and RCCL ships - definitely go for RCCL. NCL's newer ships are nice (I've cruised on both the Escape and Getaway), but they don't even come close to the options available for kids on RCCL. DCL is a completely different animal, the cruises are geared for kids with parents. The other cruise lines are geared for adults first, kids second.

CJR

I think DCL is always fun for any age, regardless of the other ships out there. They aren't the largest, but there's more than enough stuff to do, including "free" new movies (I put it in quotes, because you pay, you just don't realize it, haha).

The real reason why I'm personally questioning future Disney cruises myself is due to the higher cost. It was more expensive than the others to start, and they seem to keep raising the rates ($1500-$2000 is the starting price for a three night cruise? I saw that and said a curse word). There's a lot of vacations out there for that kind of money, including a nice hotel stay at WDW (without getting theme park passes).

If cost is no object to you, I'd keep Disney's cruise booked. If you'd rather save money, go with NCL or RCCL. RCCL is miles better than NCL IMO, but both are still great and have just as much stuff to do. Some stuff will cost extra, but it's still not even close to the extra premium Disney's charging in their base price.

Either way, your child will have a great time, because it's a vacation with pretty much free food, free entertainment, including exclusive entertainment for kids directly their age. Disney has the best programs out there IMO.

For me, I'm just wondering if the rising cost is worth it compared to the others. For some people it does, for us it did, it's starting to cross that line for us and I'm personally looking at possibly going with a different company next time for our family. Everyone will definitely have a great time on Disney, but that's not to say they won't have a great time on RCCL or NCL, because it'd probably be about equal, outside of cost.

21stamps

Original Poster
Why don't you want to cruise in February? I've cruised in January, February, and March, and had an awesome time all 3 times, only the January had some slightly chilly water at Castaway Cay - and my son still swam in it. Both my sons would love to be on a Star Wars cruise, my wife and I would too.

It's the beginning of February which isn't really a good time for me work wise, and not a good time water temp wise. Perfect time frame is January for next year.. but- too cold for Castaway Cay, and too close to a November cruise.

If you're choosing between the newer NCL and RCCL ships - definitely go for RCCL. NCL's newer ships are nice (I've cruised on both the Escape and Getaway), but they don't even come close to the options available for kids on RCCL. DCL is a completely different animal, the cruises are geared for kids with parents. The other cruise lines are geared for adults first, kids second.

I have to do these NCL two.. they're both CAS cruises, I only had to pay the stupid admin fee, port taxes, and upgrade from Balcony to Aft Balcony.. basically a $3800 cruise for $1400..this 1400 amount includes our dining package and UBP gratuities (soda pack for kiddo), so $4k for 1400

I've been reading a ton of reviews, it seems like families prefer the Getaway a tad more than the Escape just due to more options for kids..but I know my son will live the extra waterslide and 3rd level on the ropes course.

Did you prefer one over the other?

The Oasis or Bliss would only be if I cancelled the Fantasy.

Every client that tells me that comes back from DCL saying that they almost never saw them because he spent all of their time in the club.

It's just the 2 of us. I work a lot, so our vacations are for a lot of QT together.

21stamps

Original Poster
I think DCL is always fun for any age, regardless of the other ships out there. They aren't the largest, but there's more than enough stuff to do, including "free" new movies (I put it in quotes, because you pay, you just don't realize it, haha).

The real reason why I'm personally questioning future Disney cruises myself is due to the higher cost. It was more expensive than the others to start, and they seem to keep raising the rates ($1500-$2000 is the starting price for a three night cruise? I saw that and said a curse word). There's a lot of vacations out there for that kind of money, including a nice hotel stay at WDW (without getting theme park passes).

If cost is no object to you, I'd keep Disney's cruise booked. If you'd rather save money, go with NCL or RCCL. RCCL is miles better than NCL IMO, but both are still great and have just as much stuff to do. Some stuff will cost extra, but it's still not even close to the extra premium Disney's charging in their base price.

Either way, your child will have a great time, because it's a vacation with pretty much free food, free entertainment, including exclusive entertainment for kids directly their age. Disney has the best programs out there IMO.

For me, I'm just wondering if the rising cost is worth it compared to the others. For some people it does, for us it did, it's starting to cross that line for us and I'm personally looking at possibly going with a different company next time for our family. Everyone will definitely have a great time on Disney, but that's not to say they won't have a great time on RCCL or NCL, because it'd probably be about equal, outside of cost.

The time of year that I'm traveling is actually similar pricing between the 3..within hundreds of dollars, not thousands- fortunately! What's weird about DCL is their aft balcony is cheaper than a 5A midship, what I'm currently booked in.. but on NCL I had to pay a $700 up charge and a $600 up charge respectively to move from mid ship to aft. Lol

Miceberg

Yes, Getaway - the ropes course is really fun but it was closed whenever the winds were questionable, which seemed to be most of the time we were at sea...the mini golf seemed to be a step up from some of the other cruise lines. The waterslides were fantastic, in fact, the adult men in our group spent as much time on them as the kids!

Had an aft balcony on one of our Getaway cruises and that balcony was HUGE!

21stamps

Original Poster
Yes, Getaway - the ropes course is really fun but it was closed whenever the winds were questionable, which seemed to be most of the time we were at sea...the mini golf seemed to be a step up from some of the other cruise lines. The waterslides were fantastic, in fact, the adult men in our group spent as much time on them as the kids!

Had an aft balcony on one of our Getaway cruises and that balcony was HUGE!

What's funny, or not very funny- but classic me, is that our Escape cruise started out as a Pearl cruise..but I switched because of onboard activities.

Our Getaway cruise started out as a DCL Fantasy cruise, then a NCL Epic cruise (because it's a combo Disney World trip and I wanted to stay out of Port Canveral- plus, the bowl slide that kiddo has been asking for) But, after reading so many reviews I made the decision to switch to the Getaway for her features.

21stamps

Original Poster
So what do guys vote for, taking a kid's club out of the equation?

DCL Fantasy

Or

NCL Bliss (brand new next year)

Or

RCCL Oasis

21stamps

Original Poster
@Icebergtip I typically sail on the highest deck available, but switched to deck 9 for the Getaway after seeing this cabin on YouTube!
I think it will be worth being on a lower deck

IMG_5595.JPG

Miceberg

@Icebergtip I typically sail on the highest deck available, but switched to deck 9 for the Getaway after seeing this cabin on YouTube!
I think it will be worth being on a lower deck

View attachment 206107
The decks get smaller as you go higher on the ship. I was on Deck 10 and our balcony was enormous, while our friends were directly above us on 11 and their balcony was a bit smaller. Plus, on this ship, the higher you go, the closer you are to the noise of the dance parties on the top deck, which is REALLY loud.

21stamps

Original Poster
The decks get smaller as you go higher on the ship. I was on Deck 10 and our balcony was enormous, while our friends were directly above us on 11 and their balcony was a bit smaller. Plus, on this ship, the higher you go, the closer you are to the noise of the dance parties on the top deck, which is REALLY loud.

That's what I read! On the Escape I was originally on Deck 13- the NCL rep told me these were the largest Aft balconies on the Escape.. then I found out that they are actually the smallest! NCL's deck plans are wrong. I wonder how many people were told the same and disappointed when arrived. I switched to deck 12 on that one...which is supposed to have larger balconies, and I watched a YouTube video to be sure of my stateroom number.lol

Miceberg

That's what I read! On the Escape I was originally on Deck 13- the NCL rep told me these were the largest Aft balconies on the Escape.. then I found out that they are actually the smallest! NCL's deck plans are wrong. I wonder how many people were told the same and disappointed when arrived. I switched to deck 12 on that one...which is supposed to have larger balconies, and I watched a YouTube video to be sure of my stateroom number.lol
I am an insane planner and got a lot of info from cruisecritic.com. If you haven't checked out their website, I highly recommend it.

21stamps

Original Poster
I am an insane planner and got a lot of info from cruisecritic.com. If you haven't checked out their website, I highly recommend it.
I'm on it! That's how I found out about the balcony discrepancy.

I wanted to ask the DCL question here because it seems like people have very strong opinions on DCL at CC.. I don't want any loyalists from any lines giving opinions, if that makes sense. I'm trying to get an unbiased vote, but not sure if that's possible here either. Lol

Miceberg

I'm on it! That's how I found out about the balcony discrepancy.

I wanted to ask the DCL question here because it seems like people have very strong opinions on DCL at CC.. I don't want any loyalists from any lines giving opinions, if that makes sense. I'm trying to get an unbiased vote, but not sure if that's possible here either. Lol
I'm cautious to compare DCL because it's been way too many years since we've traveled with them and there have been so many new features added. It's been too hard to justify the pricepoint, when for the same money on another cruise line, I can get a balcony and a few more days added to my trip for the same price as a porthole view. Itineraries also dictate the cruise line I choose...after a few cruises it's nice to visit new places.

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm cautious to compare DCL because it's been way too many years since we've traveled with them and there have been so many new features added. It's been too hard to justify the pricepoint, when for the same money on another cruise line, I can get a balcony and a few more days added to my trip for the same price as a porthole view. Itineraries also dictate the cruise line I choose...after a few cruises it's nice to visit new places.

That's another reason that we're doing the Getaway over Thanksgiving. I'm really excited for Harvest Caye and Roatan.

With DCL I would only do the Fantasy bc it seems to have more features than the Wonder or Magic, and I chose an Eastern to have an extra day at sea on DCL.. but besides the Aquaduck and mini golf, I don't really know what else there is for us to do together. Most of what I hear people talk about with DCL is the kids club.

pilka214

Which Norwegian ship would you be sailing/ which itinerary. I'm a former NCL crew member, I worked as a cruise staff, and I still believe their product is really great. It's not as polished as disney, but it provides a great deal more variety for all age groups. Most of the main entertainment is Family oriented, and the crew onboard are pretty fantastic. The biggest thing with NCL is i prefer the smaller ships, as they are a more involved experience, whereas the larger ships have TONS of options for entertainment, but don't focus so much on the guest and definitely nickel and dime more. Any questions regarding NCL i'd be happy to try and answer.

21stamps

Original Poster
Which Norwegian ship would you be sailing/ which itinerary. I'm a former NCL crew member, I worked as a cruise staff, and I still believe their product is really great. It's not as polished as disney, but it provides a great deal more variety for all age groups. Most of the main entertainment is Family oriented, and the crew onboard are pretty fantastic. The biggest thing with NCL is i prefer the smaller ships, as they are a more involved experience, whereas the larger ships have TONS of options for entertainment, but don't focus so much on the guest and definitely nickel and dime more. Any questions regarding NCL i'd be happy to try and answer.

Wow thank you!! We are doing an Escape Eastern (Nassau, Tortola, St Thomas) and a Getaway Western- (Harvest Caye ,Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel). These are both in 2017.

I currently have a DCL Fantasy Eastern booked for February 2018 (Castaway Cay Tortola St Thomas).

I'm debating switching from the Fantasy to the NCL Bliss which comes out in summer 2018, Sailing Alaska first.. I'm not sure which itinerary I would do, Alaska or wait for Caribbean. This year I switched from the NCL Pearl Alaska Glacier Bay itinerary to the Escape because of my son's age (just turned 7, and an adrenaline junkie) I think he will enjoy the bigger ships more, and I'd like to wait til he can do more excursions in Alaska, so saving that one for maybe 2-3 years from now..I think.lol

There is not too much info on the Bliss. It can be booked now, but the amenities aren't announced yet. Do you have any inside info on it?
I'm just wondering if he will enjoy the amenities on these ships more than DCL, he will be almost 8 by the time of travel.

I know this all sounds confusing..lol..hopefully it makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom