Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

aladdin2007

One of the valuable differences between Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey is that one led by ACE, while the other is led by the indigenous people.

Flight of Passage is the very ACE-heavy ride. The railings along the queue have ACE logos on them, you walk through the lab and other facilities, watch the ACE-led preshow videos while standing on your number, board very high-tech "link-chairs," etc. Alpha Centurai Expenditions is very much involved.

On the other hand, Na'vi River Journey is just about ACE-free. One you pass the entrance canopy, the tour company is almost nowhere to be found. The railings are natural-looking, as are the queue and the ride vehicles. As the story goes, this was created by the Na'vi, using the natural resources of the planet.

I don't hate ACE... but this difference helps the rides be more unique.
I think you should keep that into consideration when coming up with ideas for how to improve NRJ.

I dont understand what this ACE is, I know you said alpha centurai expeditions etc, is that a real company or group or just something from the movie as a reference?

I'd love to know what you think the story line of Expedition Everest is other than that you are a tourist visiting the mountains and you happen to encounter a yeti during your experience. Sounds a lot like the ride you're trashing here, only replace mountains with Pandoran rainforest and yeti with Shaman of Songs.

Disney's greatest attractions do not have linear stories. Classic Imagineers detested the use of clearly defined stories, opting instead for rides that offered a series of experiences that the rider was actively a part of. Haunted Mansion. Pirates. Space Mountain. The original Fantastyland dark rides. None of these have linear stories.

I will honestly never understand why people would want to sit passively in a vehicle and be told a book report of a story instead of actively engaging in and experiencing things they could not possibly experience otherwise and feeling like part of the action. This is why many people consider Under the Sea to be a fundamentally poor attraction. I've seen The Little Mermaid a million times and am very familiar with its plot. I have absolutely no desire or need to be shown a quick and choppy retelling of the storyline. There's really no engagement for the rider. I'd much rather find myself an active participant in the world of the film.

It could certainly be a little longer, but a ride like NRJ would be right up somebody like Yale Gracey's alley.

As to your point about the wait times, I'm pretty sure they want it to eventually have 20-30 minute queues. It's not a headliner and it's not intended to be. It's a nice little c-ticket intended to round out the thrill rides of DAK. Much like attractions like Living with the Land and Gran Fiesta Tour. There has to be a balance.

Wait. Hold up. Seriously? What? Surely you're trolling. You have to be.

As soon as he said that, I checked out of lending his opinion of the attraction any kind of credence. How on EARTH could somebody have the gall to say that experiencing a YouTube video is equivalent to experiencing the same thing in person?? Especially a dark ride.

I really hope you didn't actually think that was a valid response to what was said to you. I can see where maybe you thought that you were being clever? But, just... no.

Boy, You are paying so much attention to me. I should either be flattered or feel sad for you that you actually took the time to do all of that. But when you start to accuse me of trolling.....you might want to be careful. That comes pretty close to a personal attack.
I know that is against the rules in the chat boards.

Castle Cake Apologist

Boy, You are paying so much attention to me. I should either be flattered or feel sad for you that you actually took the time to do all of that. But when you start to accuse me of trolling.....you might want to be careful. That comes pretty close to a personal attack.
I know that is against the rules in the chat boards.

Great response. I didn't personally attack you, calm down. I've been a member here for a very long time and am quite familiar with the site rules, thank you.

Your statements genuinely came across as trollish, which is also against the rules of the forums.

But let's get back on topic.

spacemt354

Chili's
I saw the video ride through. That's enough for me. It's boring.
I saw the new fireworks video too and that looks fantastic. It's amazing how video paints the picture for you isn't it.
Ever? If I watch a television show online....that is the same experience everywhere.
A television show is meant to be experienced via a tv, internet, etc. A theme park attraction is not designed to be experienced on YouTube. So whether you have a positive or negative reaction, you can never have a fully formed opinion on it until you experience it in person.

No Name

I dont understand what this ACE is, I know you said alpha centurai expeditions etc, is that a real company or group or just something from the movie as a reference?

It's just something imagineering made up for the land. The backstory is that we are visiting Pandora many many years after the events of the movies, and Alpha Centurai Expeditions is the tour company that allows us to visit.

Great response. I didn't personally attack you, calm down. I've been a member here for a very long time and am quite familiar with the site rules, thank you.

Your statements genuinely came across as trollish, which is also against the rules of the forums.

But let's get back on topic.

You're not going to throw out "trollish" without defending your use of that allegation. Where am I trolling when I am answering questions that people ask me and addressing the topic at hand? Be careful.....

A television show is meant to be experienced via a tv, internet, etc. A theme park attraction is not designed to be experienced on YouTube. So whether you have a positive or negative reaction, you can never have a fully formed opinion on it until you experience it in person.

I don't need to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks in person to know they are good. The video conveys enough of a representation to show how good they are going to be which is only enhanced when you see them in person.

If video on TV and the internet is not a good representation for something in a different medium or in person...then why do movie production companies show trailers on TV and the internet? Those trailers can generate interest and give you a great idea of how the movie is going to be.

The Navi River Ride trailers were boring. That sent up flags the the ride would be boring.
Then they showed the ENTIRE ride video.....and that looked boring.
Boring Trailer + Boring Video = Boring Ride.

Make book on it. Pretty....but boring.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't need to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks in person to know they are good. The video conveys enough of a representation to show how good they are going to be which is only enhanced when you see them in person.
By your own logic - this isn't a proven equation, it's an assumption.
Boring Trailer + Boring Video = Boring Ride.
The real equation is...

Boring Trailer + Boring Video = Possibly enhanced ride experience...I don't know yet since I haven't ridden it in person.

I don't care whether you like it or not, as I'm sure others don't either. it's the fallacious A = B argument that is driving responses to you when that isn't true.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's mindblowingly immersive. Every conceivable surface is covered. The lighting and set design is top notch and the layered projection effects add motion and depth that would have been impossible otherwise and are virtually seamless in person. Seeing it in a video does not convey the same experience whatsoever.

I completely agree that the ride should be longer and that a few more limited motion figures would make a huge difference, but the ride is far from boring.

Sorry, boring.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
One of the valuable differences between Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey is that one led by ACE, while the other is led by the indigenous people.

Flight of Passage is the very ACE-heavy ride. The railings along the queue have ACE logos on them, you walk through the lab and other facilities, watch the ACE-led preshow videos while standing on your number, board very high-tech "link-chairs," etc. Alpha Centurai Expenditions is very much involved.

On the other hand, Na'vi River Journey is just about ACE-free. One you pass the entrance canopy, the tour company is almost nowhere to be found. The railings are natural-looking, as are the queue and the ride vehicles. As the story goes, this was created by the Na'vi, using the natural resources of the planet.

I don't hate ACE... but this difference helps the rides be more unique.
I think you should keep that into consideration when coming up with ideas for how to improve NRJ.
That isn't quite right.

River Journey is managed by Alpha Centauri Expeditions (ACE), the eco-tour company that brings humans to Pandora. ACE created the pathway and load station at the queue structure. ACE assemblers also built the rafts using Na'vi techniques.

But you're right, the presence of ACE is minimal after the entrance.

RSoxNo1

I'd love to know what you think the story line of Expedition Everest is other than that you are a tourist visiting the mountains and you happen to encounter a yeti during your experience. Sounds a lot like the ride you're trashing here, only replace mountains with Pandoran rainforest and yeti with Shaman of Songs.

Disney's greatest attractions do not have linear stories. Classic Imagineers detested the use of clearly defined stories, opting instead for rides that offered a series of experiences that the rider was actively a part of. Haunted Mansion. Pirates. Space Mountain. The original Fantastyland dark rides. None of these have linear stories.

I will honestly never understand why people would want to sit passively in a vehicle and be told a book report of a story instead of actively engaging in and experiencing things they could not possibly experience otherwise and feeling like part of the action. This is why many people consider Under the Sea to be a fundamentally poor attraction. I've seen The Little Mermaid a million times and am very familiar with its plot. I have absolutely no desire or need to be shown a quick and choppy retelling of the storyline. There's really no engagement for the rider. I'd much rather find myself an active participant in the world of the film.

It could certainly be a little longer, but a ride like NRJ would be right up somebody like Yale Gracey's alley.

As to your point about the wait times, I'm pretty sure they want it to eventually have 20-30 minute queues. It's not a headliner and it's not intended to be. It's a nice little c-ticket intended to round out the thrill rides of DAK. Much like attractions like Living with the Land and Gran Fiesta Tour. There has to be a balance.

Wait. Hold up. Seriously? What? Surely you're trolling. You have to be.

As soon as he said that, I checked out of lending his opinion of the attraction any kind of credence. How on EARTH could somebody have the gall to say that experiencing a YouTube video is equivalent to experiencing the same thing in person?? Especially a dark ride.

I really hope you didn't actually think that was a valid response to what was said to you. I can see where maybe you thought that you were being clever? But, just... no.
Linear stories work on some rides but it is far from a necessity. Tower, DINOSAUR and Splash Mountain work very well with a linear story, but countless others don't need it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Linear stories work on some rides but it is far from a necessity. Tower, DINOSAUR and Splash Mountain work very well with a linear story, but countless others don't need it.

Like the Tomorrow Land Speedway, the Carousel, and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

rkleinlein

Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean but with no story and no pirates except for one at the end. Or Jungle Cruise with no narrator and one elephant at the end. Or the Haunted Mansion with no--well I could go on but you get my point.

Kman101

Doesn't take any gall, because in some cases, depending on the nature of the ride, the YouTube video really gives you all you need to know. In this case, it does and shows how boring the Na'vi River ride really is.

Sorry you don't like a beautiful immersive boat ride with glowing plants and interesting things to look at. Your loss. And a big mistake to judge it based on a Youtube video. That's silly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom