Soundgarden lead singer Chris Cornell dead of apparent suicide at age 52

Princess Leia

One of the local alternative rock stations played a portion of the concert this evening, and Cornell was telling people that they could brag to their friends about going to the Detroit concert. He sounded really pumped up and full of life, and that's why I can't make sense of any of this. I know he had depression, but he's talked about losing friends and peers in the business, and he'd been sober for at least over a decade.

Unfortunately Chris Cornell follows a chilling pattern of grunge rockers dying way too young.

Goofyernmost

I know I stand alone in this... but I am getting so sick of justifying or glorifying anyone that takes their own life. There are so many good people, hard working caring people, that are fighting for to live through terminal illness or criminal assaults that I cannot muster any sympathy for anyone that is healthy and takes their own life. I know, "he was depressed and that is an illness". That is correct, but, he at least had a chance to correct his situation, the others I mentioned, did not! Just one of my many pet peeves.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I know I stand alone in this... but I am getting so sick of justifying or glorifying anyone that takes their own life. There are so many good people, hard working caring people, that are fighting for to live through terminal illness or criminal assaults that I cannot muster any sympathy for anyone that is healthy and takes their own life. I know, "he was depressed and that is an illness". That is correct, but, he at least had a chance to correct his situation, the others I mentioned, did not! Just one of my many pet peeves.
Who's glorifying anything?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No one here so far. But, everywhere else it is being done big time. I'm expressing my feelings about it, not contradicting anyone here on the boards.
Most are honoring his music and lamenting his passing. Not glorifying him for the way he died....

Goofyernmost

OK, you are right... he is gods gift to all of us. I wonder if it matters that until he killed himself I had never heard of him. At least he got his 15 minutes of fame from me. I will be moving on now to mourn in solitude.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
OK, you are right... he is gods gift to all of us. I wonder if it matters that until he killed himself I had never heard of him. At least he got his 15 minutes of fame from me. I will be moving on now to mourn in solitude.
Yes, I am right. And simply because you've never heard of him doesn't mean there aren't countless others who have, who appreciated his voice and music, and are mourning appropriately. Not glorifying the fact he took his own life....

Princess Leia

Honestly, I kind of feel the same way about this like I did with Robin Williams: shock and regret (though with Robin Williams, I thought that someone was playing a really nasty prank on all of us). Both struggled with mental illness, and unfortunately, they didn't reach out to medical professionals that could have helped them.

That's the thing about mental health. It's not like a broken bone, or a swollen ankle- you typically can't see what's going on inside. I have ADD and some anxiety issues, but most people wouldn't be able to see that by looking at me. I've been watching some of the Detroit show, and sure, while Cornell wasn't at his peak (and hasn't been since the 90s), he sounded great. But there's no way of knowing what was going on in his head during the concert.

What I hope comes from this is another look at mental health. What I don't want is what happened after Robin Williams, where my entire Facebook feed was full of 'Genie, you're free' posts, which was a load of BS and seemed to glorify the death.

Laketravis

Honestly, I kind of feel the same way about this like I did with Robin Williams: shock and regret (though with Robin Williams, I thought that someone was playing a really nasty prank on all of us). Both struggled with mental illness, and unfortunately, they didn't reach out to medical professionals that could have helped them.

My first thoughts as well. Recognizing the talents and contributions of someone who they themselves may not have recognized is in no way glorifying or justifying anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom