Serial Stroller Thief Caught!

Weather_Lady

You're looking at a grey area here. Yes. Security is their responsibility but they are not responsible to make sure someone does not go brain dead and leave their valuables unattended.

Agreed. Candidly, I don't think Disney or any other place of public accommodation has the responsibility to guard valuables that guests leave unattended. Disney provides vast amounts of dedicated "parking" for strollers as a courtesy, but policing those areas for theft would require an unreasonable amount of manpower, and Disney has no legal obligation to safeguard guests against the consequences of leaving their personal possessions strewn around Disney property. If things got bad enough, I could see Disney offering a "stroller check" whereby guests can check a stroller, get a claim ticket, and come back for it later (at a price, of course), but I don't believe the issue of stroller theft will ever become that big. Most people are smart enough not to bring expensive strollers, loaded with irreplaceable things, and leave them sitting around.

rob0519

Agreed. Candidly, I don't think Disney or any other place of public accommodation has the responsibility to guard valuables that guests leave unattended. Disney provides vast amounts of dedicated "parking" for strollers as a courtesy, but policing those areas for theft would require an unreasonable amount of manpower, and Disney has no legal obligation to safeguard guests against the consequences of leaving their personal possessions strewn around Disney property. If things got bad enough, I could see Disney offering a "stroller check" whereby guests can check a stroller, get a claim ticket, and come back for it later (at a price, of course), but I don't believe the issue of stroller theft will ever become that big. Most people are smart enough not to bring expensive strollers, loaded with irreplaceable things, and leave them sitting around.

Personally, I don't know why people need anything more than a simple, folding umbrella stroller for a day at an amusement park. You can carry the baby supplies in a small backpack and be good to go, but tha'ts just me.

As far as Disney's responsibility, I don't know what, if anything is printed on the ticket regarding personal property. However, it could be argued that since Disney has set up stroller corrals with "Park Strollers Here" Signs and has uniformed employees watching the site and putting the strollers in straight rows, that some type of oversight is implied that your stroller will be there when you get back. Leaving valuables, including medication unattended however, is just plain careless no matter what the cost of the stroller.

peter11435

As far as Disney's responsibility, I don't know what, if anything is printed on the ticket regarding personal property. However, it could be argued that since Disney has set up stroller corrals with "Park Strollers Here" Signs and has uniformed employees watching the site and putting the strollers in straight rows, that some type of oversight is implied that your stroller will be there when you get back.

I have found that generally those cast members always tell me to remove any valuables from my stroller before parking. Unless they were to issue claim tickets there is no way those cast members would know that someone taking a stroller was not the owner of the stroller. Especially since many times a different member of a party will pick up a stroller that someone else dropped off.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
you can't put locks on them because cast members need to be able to move them.
You can put locks on them but you can't lock to anything. It just stops the wheel from spinning and an empty stroller is easy enough to lift and move for a CM but would be very noticeable if someone tried to carry a stroller out of the park.

DisneyDaver

This is one of the many reasons why it's a good idea to rent a stroller rather than bringing one from home. Besides the fact that they can get stolen, home-brought strollers cause inconviences to others. For example, when I was at Disney's California Adventure, someone thought it was a good idea to bring a folding stroller with them onto The Little Mermaid, and they had to stop the ride several times for it.

They may have a disability that makes it hard for them to walk. I know this because I had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis when I was younger, and I had to use a stroller until I was ten.

I understand and didn't intend to be poking fun at an 8 year in a stroller, but re-reading my post now I can see how it could be taken that way. Apologies. The intention of my post was to joke about my 2 year old who refuses to go in the stroller.

janoimagine

Sure leaving those valuables in the stroller was the biggest issue, but I still think purchasing an $1800 stroller is stupid too. I could afford it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

That said it doesn't excuse what this women did and I'm sorry this family had to go through that.
I disagree with you ... we bought an Orbit Baby Stroller for our kids, with all the features, the interchangeability, expandability, the swivel / recline feature and the ability to snap out the seat and snap right into the car made it worthwhile to spend the money for me and my wife, it also came with an ATA rated bag to use it in for Air Travel. I would gladly spend the $1200 on it again, it has lasted thru both our kids and I was able to sell it on eBay for $700 after we were done with it. Also, a Bugaboo doesn't cost $1800 ... they are about $1000 to $1300. Sure you can spend less on strollers ... but everyone we talked too said they had to replace theirs by their second kid so ... take your pick.

ninjaprincesst

You can put locks on them but you can't lock to anything. It just stops the wheel from spinning and an empty stroller is easy enough to lift and move for a CM but would be very noticeable if someone tried to carry a stroller out of the park.
No I have a cousin who is a cast member, they can and will have security cut them off with bolt cutters. They have enough to do without picking up strollers.

DizArielFan

Something to note, just because somebody has a $1,800 stroller doesn't mean that they are even remotely wealthy. Reminds me of my brothers friend who worked at Target and now at Home Depot. He bought himself a Rolex Submariner, which is around $7,500 to 8,500ish depending on model, with his credit card, took him almost three years to pay it off. Maybe that lady isn't wealthy but just has good credit and decided to splurge on something.

G00fyDad

I disagree with you ... we bought an Orbit Baby Stroller for our kids, with all the features, the interchangeability, expandability, the swivel / recline feature and the ability to snap out the seat and snap right into the car made it worthwhile to spend the money for me and my wife, it also came with an ATA rated bag to use it in for Air Travel. I would gladly spend the $1200 on it again, it has lasted thru both our kids and I was able to sell it on eBay for $700 after we were done with it. Also, a Bugaboo doesn't cost $1800 ... they are about $1000 to $1300. Sure you can spend less on strollers ... but everyone we talked too said they had to replace theirs by their second kid so ... take your pick.

It must be a toss up then because our first Graco (Around $175 with interchangeability, expand-ability, the swivel / recline feature and the ability to snap out the seat and snap right into the car) lasted through my daughter then my niece and then her little sister. Our second Graco lasted through our son (Our kids are 8 years apart) and then through my friend's daughter. Maybe it is because of this that I just cannot justify spending that much on a stroller.

ninjaprincesst

They can and will cut locks if the stroller is locked to anything. If you simply lock the wheels together they will NOT cut anything.
Yes they will if the stroller will not roll they will have it cut, it is not their job to lug around heavy strollers because people are being petty. They often have to move strollers to another parking area and are not paid to lug them around, they have been given permission to cut them because a lot of people have started using them , and think about it, they do not get paid enough to physically carry strollers, and why would you subject a cast member to that? They will give you a few minutes to return, and when you return they will caution you to not put the locks on or they will be cut. he informed me just yesterday a woman whom had already been warned that if might get cut off if she continued to use it, she demanded his supervisor who informed her cast members have to be able to move your stroller and they must be able to roll. She was not happy at all.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Yes they will if the stroller will not roll they will have it cut, it is not their job to lug around heavy strollers because people are being petty. They often have to move strollers to another parking area and are not paid to lug them around, they have been given permission to cut them because a lot of people have started using them , and think about it, they do not get paid enough to physically carry strollers, and why would you subject a cast member to that? They will give you a few minutes to return, and when you return they will caution you to not put the locks on or they will be cut. he informed me just yesterday a woman whom had already been warned that if might get cut off if she continued to use it, she demanded his supervisor who informed her cast members have to be able to move your stroller and they must be able to roll. She was not happy at all.

If people stealing strollers is a problem and Disney does not give you a reasonable way to keep your stroller safe they are setting themselves up for lawsuits and other issues. Unless they are giving each guest who wants one a free Disney stroller and banning outside stroller they need to do something.

G00fyDad

You can still lock the front wheels. Then the stroller will roll with minimal effort by pushing down on the handle to slightly lift the front wheel off the ground and rolling it on the back wheels.

21stamps

True, but thats why I said "on vacation". Smart people generally don't bring their best sunglasses, their best jewelry, or in this case, their best stroller on vacation to a tourist spot because it attracts crime. Disney may be very safe in many ways that typical tourist destinations are not, but petty theft is not one of them. People can't expect Disney to take responsibility for securing belongings left in the streets.

To be honest, I think the article I quoted above as written by one of those mommies or daddies that resent that Disney doesn't let you take the blasted things absolutely everywhere. The original article is here, with pictures and all.

I bring mine and my kid's same sunglasses on vacay and to any park. The only thing I don't do is bring my more expensive handbags into the park.. not because of theft, just don't want to ruin them.

ninjaprincesst

Something to note, just because somebody has a $1,800 stroller doesn't mean that they are even remotely wealthy. Reminds me of my brothers friend who worked at Target and now at Home Depot. He bought himself a Rolex Submariner, which is around $7,500 to 8,500ish depending on model, with his credit card, took him almost three years to pay it off. Maybe that lady isn't wealthy but just has good credit and decided to splurge on something.
I would think someone who has an 1800 dollar stroller as well as her husband can just afford to jump on a plane on a same day flight to bring her money would be pretty well off, not that that is any excuse for someone stealing

peter11435

That is not the official policy. If you or the cast member were told that then it was incorrect information. WDW security will tell you can lock the wheels together but can not lock your stroller to anything else. They will not cut your personal property if it is not locked to theirs. I spoke with security about this just last week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom