Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I was told no. Basically all screens once you're on board.

Must've blown the budget on all those pipes and satellite dishes. Also, glass boxes. So expensive.

Is anyone really surprised this inexcusable POS is just a bunch of screens? They had only 5 months to slap this thing together and it shows: macaroni and glue exterior, bad Christmas light show at night, recycling library and boiler room, etc. At this point expectations for the actual ride are so low they're below dinosaur bones.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Ironically, the footage in this case costs way more than the simple sets.

Why is this surprising? Unless the guests were going to be zapped and changed into guardians in the mirror and they were going to wave at us from the end of the hallway... those sets were doomed.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

A point I've seen made regarding the reception to MB is that while it appears negative, it's only the same few thousand people posting hte same negative opinions on Youtube, Twitter, the forums, etc. so the negative reception isn't indicative of the thoughts of the casual park goer, who is likely thrilled to have a new ride experience, or even worse, impartial to having a new ride. When a video receives numerous dislikes, but only a few likes, it's hard to believe that that's just the die hards skewing the results. It almost has to be a sign that overall, the public is either unaware, doesn't care, or isn't happy about the change.

While I'm simplifying a complex subject, the thing that sticks out the most is that it lowers the quality of opinion of the fans, or those with an attachment to the ride. Shouldn't Disney care what their die hard fans think and want? We may have a reputation of being resistant to change, but I think we're mostly resistant to bad or unwarranted change. Most on here would argue for a Tomorrowland reimagining. An overhaul of Toontown. An extensive Matterhorn refurb.

There is also the argument that we'll go anyways. We love it to much, so even if they alter a few things we will still keep coming in droves. But especially in DCA's case, that might not happen. I haven't stepped foot in DCA in two years, but have gone to DL Park multiple times. The AP holders could start skipping MB, as opposed to making it a ride to go on every time like ToT.
Wanted to touch on this a bit (sorry its from a few pages back)

I think "impartial" to a new ride is more the ticket. Most guests probably don't care as much what the actual experience of a ride is...so long as there IS a ride, and they don't have to wait in too long a line to go on it. I think of a lot of families. Most parents are probably just hoping their kids have a good time at the park and they can pack in as much as possible on their once a year trip. The intricacies of theming consistency, good show vs bad show, and a whole slew of other park details probably go right over their heads. It just becomes about keeping kids from crying and "oh hey look, its Mickey Mouse!"

Disney should be more willing to listen to their die-hard fans opinions or at least acknowledge their voices. But if you poll a group of 10 people with 9 being "casual fans" and 1 being a die-hard, the majority is going to win out. We as the die-hard fans, though more vocal, make up a small percentage of the people that actually show up to the parks, and Disney isn't going to stop what they're doing because a few of us are annoyed at their newest idea.

Disney knows that we will go anyway, you're right. In that sense they feel justified to continue doing what THEY (read, "the Bobs") want and it won't be bad enough to keep out the die-hard fan base. Once MB opens, I have zero plans to ride it. But it won't really "hurt" Disney that I'll still visit their parks and have a good time doing everything else.

mickEblu

Wanted to touch on this a bit (sorry its from a few pages back)

I think "impartial" to a new ride is more the ticket. Most guests probably don't care as much what the actual experience of a ride is...so long as there IS a ride, and they don't have to wait in too long a line to go on it. I think of a lot of families. Most parents are probably just hoping their kids have a good time at the park and they can pack in as much as possible on their once a year trip. The intricacies of theming consistency, good show vs bad show, and a whole slew of other park details probably go right over their heads. It just becomes about keeping kids from crying and "oh hey look, its Mickey Mouse!"

Disney should be more willing to listen to their die-hard fans opinions or at least acknowledge their voices. But if you poll a group of 10 people with 9 being "casual fans" and 1 being a die-hard, the majority is going to win out. We as the die-hard fans, though more vocal, make up a small percentage of the people that actually show up to the parks, and Disney isn't going to stop what they're doing because a few of us are annoyed at their newest idea.

Disney knows that we will go anyway, you're right. In that sense they feel justified to continue doing what THEY (read, "the Bobs") want and it won't be bad enough to keep out the die-hard fan base. Once MB opens, I have zero plans to ride it. But it won't really "hurt" Disney that I'll still visit their parks and have a good time doing everything else.

A good place to start would be to let the creative people that they hired (imagineers) do their job and leave the marketing guys in the marketing department.

mickEblu

Again, physical sets would prohibit using the same doors to represent different areas in the fortress - if that's their plan. Call me crazy, but I think we'll be pleased with what they are going to try to pull off, and that requires moving the sets.

3 shafts = 3 sets that apply to two scenarios each. It could have been done with a little imagination, trust, and pixie dust.

mickEblu

I mean add more scenes to a single ride, let alone unpredictable randomization.

Oh I see. We don't even know if they re doing that do we? I assumed it was two show scenes for each scenario but you could be right. What they could of done is made the old mirror scene as all screen (to keep show scenes easier to switch out) and then create 3 different physical sets where the hallway scene used to be. That would have been a nice compromise. WDI- hit me up!

I want to see them think outside the box like this And not take the easy way out. Creativity / originality should be driving the project. Not synergy and marketing. For example, let's take the WED geniuses. They built two drops in POTC that not only enhanced the ride but was a clever solution to an issue. They didn't say well lets just make this a nice C ticket and keep it inside the berm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom