• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

AEfx

Wow. that is not what I hear at all when I listen to HEA. Its not even in the same league.

In production values? I'll grant that. Which is why I said it is like Up with People meets that super-glossy Tween Disney stuff. It's the style, that super-glossy, insanely cloyingly upbeat but ultimately soulless.

AEfx

I completely don't agree. Music has and is constantly evolving, and the musical styles Disney is choosing to use today doesn't mean those songs won't ever be considered a classic Disney song, you can't just churn out the same sound over and over again, people lose interest. Disney music had to evolve.

That's such a fanboi BS notion.

Yes, I'm sure countless guest satisfaction surveys said "Man, that Wishes was great but the classic-style Disney music is just terrible!"

One thing that exacerbates the problem is that "Happily Ever After" is the most dated theme our of the repertoire they could have chosen to base a show around. There is nothing "nowadays" about it. It's the cheesiest, most cloying cliche of them all. That's why the flow feels as messed up as it does - they mixed up too many things that don't fit together. It's like they had a series of checkboxes to complete, but they didn't pay any attention to how those individual elements added together, as long as they fit the checkbox.

Disone

Yes, I'm sure countless guest satisfaction surveys said "Man, that Wishes was great but the classic-style Disney music is just terrible!"

One thing that exacerbates the problem is that "Happily Ever After" is the most dated theme our of the repertoire they could have chosen to base a show around. There is nothing "nowadays" about it. It's the cheesiest, most cloying cliche of them all. That's why the flow feels as messed up as it does - they mixed up too many things that don't fit together. It's like they had a series of checkboxes to complete, but they didn't pay any attention to how those individual elements added together, as long as they fit the checkbox.

Eh.... Base on the live crowds reaction I am going to say your opinion, while not wrong, is not the majority. In short there is no problem. You don't like. Fair and Done. But MK does have a major hit.

I am readying for viewing #5 for me tonight.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

So disagree. I am a fan of Disney but I am no fan boy, and will always call them out for crap. This isn't crap. This is quality.

Happily Ever After is not a theme I've seen used for a spectacular yet. But Wishes, dreams, believing in Wishes and dreams.. all over used. Exactly what you state wishes is not and Happily Ever After is, is exactly what Wishes was. A cliche, out of date. But you know what, Disney has built its legacy on outdated cliches, which is what makes shows like Wishes, Happily Ever After etc. so much fun!

That's Disney for me, and I'm okay with that.

rill

i just noticed that tink had a new outfit for her flight in HEA
wishes:
4200254318_f9d318a716.jpg

hea:
1398c51c76a747fb988ce212661168ba.png

AEfx

Eh.... Base on the live crowds reaction I am going to say your opinion, while not wrong, is not the majority. In short there is no problem. You don't like. Fair and Done. But MK does have a major hit.

I am readying for viewing #5 for me tonight.

I will be very curious once the lifestylers, bloggers, and local AP holders, etc. have their fill, what the actual guest satisfaction surveys say. Like I said to begin with, the visuals are great - and fireworks at the castle are always pleasing. But when you eliminate the newness factor (and the fact that Wishes was simply left to rot for far too long), I just don't see it having the kind of emotional resonance with the average guest the way Wishes did.

AEfx

So, if the tourists like it, then you'll be satisfied that WDW did the right thing with HEA?

That's a strange way to put it, but, yes, I am generally for things that please the "tourists" - the average guest, versus the enthusiast. It won't make me feel differently about it artistically, but if it indeed pleases guests more than what was there, then that is a good thing.

I'm genuinely curious what they rate it compared to Wishes, because when I put it through some litmus tests, I have a difficult time thinking that in terms of what the audience is looking for to cap their day at the MK. They want nostalgia and one last double-shot of "ah, Disney magic". I mean, even aside from the original music, I had a hard time recognizing a lot of the existing music. Aside from the clearly known stuff interspersed, a lot of it felt so random, like a little glimpse here and there of something I thought I knew. Going on the premise that I probably know more Disney music than the average guest, that is worrisome.

I think the best way to put it is to compare it to an ice cream sundae. Wishes was a triple-scoop, handmade, with real sugar, rich vanilla ice cream, on top of a soft, warm brownie, with streams of real hot fudge dripping down it, a sprinkling of those slow roasted nuts that taste like childhood, and a rich, creamy cap of real fresh whipped cream. HEE is more like a scoop and a half of vegan iced-coconut milk, served over a slightly crisp, gluten-free oatmeal cookie, sprinkled with dried couscous, dairy-free hot fudge "sauce", topped with non-dairy unsweetened "whipped topping".

An argument could certainly be made for the latter - but I honestly think that when people are on vacation, and are only having it once per year at the very end of their vacation...they want the full Monty.

shernernum

That's a strange way to put it, but, yes, I am generally for things that please the "tourists" - the average guest, versus the enthusiast. It won't make me feel differently about it artistically, but if it indeed pleases guests more than what was there, then that is a good thing.

I'm genuinely curious what they rate it compared to Wishes, because when I put it through some litmus tests, I have a difficult time thinking that in terms of what the audience is looking for to cap their day at the MK. They want nostalgia and one last double-shot of "ah, Disney magic". I mean, even aside from the original music, I had a hard time recognizing a lot of the existing music. Aside from the clearly known stuff interspersed, a lot of it felt so random, like a little glimpse here and there of something I thought I knew. Going on the premise that I probably know more Disney music than the average guest, that is worrisome.

I think the best way to put it is to compare it to an ice cream sundae. Wishes was a triple-scoop, handmade, with real sugar, rich vanilla ice cream, on top of a soft, warm brownie, with streams of real hot fudge dripping down it, a sprinkling of those slow roasted nuts that taste like childhood, and a rich, creamy cap of real fresh whipped cream. HEE is more like a scoop and a half of vegan iced-coconut milk, served over a slightly crisp, gluten-free oatmeal cookie, sprinkled with dried couscous, dairy-free hot fudge "sauce", topped with non-dairy unsweetened "whipped topping".

An argument could certainly be made for the latter - but I honestly think that when people are on vacation, and are only having it once per year at the very end of their vacation...they want the full Monty.
Could your analogy be a little more hyperbolic? We get it you like Wishes better.

AEfx

Could your analogy be a little more hyperbolic? We get it you like Wishes better.

Well, I'm not sure there is a more realistic way to use an ice-cream sundae analogy...it was the "crispy gluten-free" cookie, wasn't it? ;)

In any case, I was answering a question directly asked of me. My dissenting opinion shouldn't cause you any stress, and if you don't agree with what I am saying, it doesn't change how you feel. Or it shouldn't. If it does...well, I can't apologize for having a compelling argument.

Kman101

I think the average guest will love it. Pop song and all.

Disney Analyst

Oh gosh how do you not recognize all the music?! If I played this for any of my friends who care less about Disney I assure you they'd probably get 90% to 100%....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom