Upcoming/Rumored Projects

Ismael Flores

I think the problem is the lack of layering of attractions when using such a large piece of real estate. When the parks were built they had lands that included more than one or two attractions. with toy story specifically they are using quite a few acres of land within a small theme park and using it for two rides only. I think that if they had designed the roller coaster with future expansion in mind they could have made it so that the coaster used the same footprint that other attractions used.

Although many don't like the idea of Paradise Pier in DCA i think that is a good example of what is possible. Within the same footprint as the coaster they included several gift shops, a dark ride, guest facilities and snack shops. This toy story coaster should have been designed the same way. Oversized theme structures that could work both as guest facilities, meet and greet areas and smaller attractions. Layered themed toy story land within a much larger Pixar land within similar acreage of property

Ismael Flores

The question is is the already existing Midway mania part of the 12 acres of extra fun that they are promoting or are they using 12 acres for a roller coaster in the spinner plus the additional footprint of the existing Midway mania
Compared to let's say an existing land like tomorrow land at Disneyland which had multiple attractions layered within the same footprint and comparable acreage?

These new lands look great but in my opinion are not designed with future development in mind. They don't seem to take advantage of the property they sit in especially where there is limited space.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the avengers area in Hong Kong. That concept art seems to show multi level use. It will also be interesting to see if the Shanghai Disney tomorrowland takes advantage of the elevated walkways and huge green space

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

So I guess that longer coaster rides are a waste of space as apposed to 7DMT which wasn't as long, and subject to complaints concerning how they cheaped out on it. Do we do like Uni and build coasters straight up in the air so that the foot print is smaller? Wouldn't open space also absorb people thus increasing capacity? Are we still thinking that there should be no lines at the existing attractions because that is the indication of sufficient capacity? I don't know what the end will look like, but, if they expand the area with things to see (not just ride-able attractions) isn't that one of the reasons for going to a theme park? Perhaps the run to ride mentality will completely take over Disney someday and there will be no roses to smell along the way. It's already getting that way.

drizgirl

So I guess that longer coaster rides are a waste of space as apposed to 7DMT which wasn't as long, and subject to complaints concerning how they cheaped out on it. Do we do like Uni and build coasters straight up in the air so that the foot print is smaller? Wouldn't open space also absorb people thus increasing capacity? Are we still thinking that there should be no lines at the existing attractions because that is the indication of sufficient capacity? I don't know what the end will look like, but, if they expand the area with things to see (not just ride-able attractions) isn't that one of the reasons for going to a theme park? Perhaps the run to ride mentality will completely take over Disney someday and there will be no roses to smell along the way. It's already getting that way.
Seriously? It's not even close to that already. Attendance has climbed a lot in recent years and they were very slow to respond with new things. Once you take out what's closing to make way for the new, I doubt even what is under way now is going to increase capacity substantially.

And no lines at rides? Maybe you can point me to the posts advocating for that as the standard?

Goofyernmost

Seriously? It's not even close to that already. Attendance has climbed a lot in recent years and they were very slow to respond with new things. Once you take out what's closing to make way for the new, I doubt even what is under way now is going to increase capacity substantially.

And no lines at rides? Maybe you can point me to the posts advocating for that as the standard?
In order to have the capacity that everyone seems to think is possible, there has to be a measure or a way to prove capacity is plentiful. You are talking about things that were not part of the discussion. We don't know what the final goal is for Disney... that is their decision, not ours. We do have an option though... if we don't like what is happening we just don't go. What is so difficult about that. We live in a far from perfect world, but, we expect perfection for what in reality is way less then $100.00 per day.

Read your own words and explain to me how if, as you say, attendance has climbed a lot in recent years you are going to convince them to spend more money to draw people in. It just doesn't make sense. That said, however, none of us really know what the end product will be and what it will feel like in when it becomes three dimensional reality.

Conclusions are being made based on absolutely no knowledge of how things work and our own desires transformed into what we think to be facts. When it actually exists and we experience what is going on then and only then can we express a logical thought on what is good and what is bad. What is a capacity issue and what is just some imaginary problem that we have placed out there as fact. What both of those lands take up are attractions that were dead. Streets of American... without the Christmas light show was nothing more then open space where we gazed at fake front buildings, Lights/action... limited time participation that didn't even come close to filling the stadium and the just plain godawful backlot tour which consisted of nothing more then Catastrophe Canyon. Tell me what was really lost and how what is coming up won't more then make up for the loss of those.

It is possible it won't, but, seriously, who among us has the background, knowledge, experience and general credentials to be an expert on how to build a theme park?

Rider

IMG_2327.JPG
Not sure if this is something or nothing but I don't remember seeing the canoes here recently.

They look in good shape too (at least the parts not covered by a tarp that also looked new).

EricsBiscuit

That is so cool! Also that bridge was on Flager's railroad to Miami and WDP bought it special for MK according to the steam train tour. It's cool how they kept the canoes. I wonder what they did with the Mike Fink Keelboats.

Goofyernmost

Seeing as how Disney takes forever to make something new, i doubt we will ever not get to see the pretty flowers. People are already saying that Pandora is a disappointment and that the only good thing is the beautiful environment that surrounds the land. (so i bet you can guess that the main attraction isn't even the Soarin clone) Toy Story Land won't necessarily be anticipated seeing as how it's being targeted towards the younger demographic, and the only thing that could possibly present a new change in the Disney parks is of course Star Wars Land. (I hope that's not what it'll actually be called)
First of all... don't listen to what people think about anything. That doesn't even come close to how you might personally feel about things. Second, it doesn't take Disney any longer to build something then it does Universal, the major difference is that people know about their plans well in advance of them even starting. They don't have a need to rush into anything, they are already way larger then Universal as far as things to do are concerned, and since they aren't trying to play catch-up they tend to take their time. But, if you compared actual construction times (being from the first ground movement in the attraction area) you will find very little difference. I'm not sure even why anyone would want to encourage rapid, slipshod construction of anything. Maybe just to add an element of danger and excitement to the experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seeing as how Disney takes forever to make something new, i doubt we will ever not get to see the pretty flowers. People are already saying that Pandora is a disappointment and that the only good thing is the beautiful environment that surrounds the land. (so i bet you can guess that the main attraction isn't even the Soarin clone) Toy Story Land won't necessarily be anticipated seeing as how it's being targeted towards the younger demographic, and the only thing that could possibly present a new change in the Disney parks is of course Star Wars Land. (I hope that's not what it'll actually be called)

The reviews of the Flight of Passage have been almost universally positive.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
People are already saying that Pandora is a disappointment and that the only good thing is the beautiful environment that surrounds the land.
I have heard just the opposite, must everyone I have talked to thinks Pandora is great. The only real negative that I have heard is the boat ride is to short. Will not get there to see for myself till August. Heading for China and Shanghai Disneyland later this month.

Cesar R M

The reviews of the Flight of Passage have been almost universally positive.
Agree, the only issue seems to be some technical glitches (which seems less serious than with the mine train, which keep failing for months) and some cases of severe vertigo/dizzyness causing vomit in FOP.

rd805

Several people in this thread have been saying how disappointing the updates and rumors are.
However, in my opinion I can't help but feel excitement over the fact that we will be getting Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, and Pandora!! Looking at the concept art for Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land looks incredible. If I am correct we will get two new rides for both lands!! I don't know how anyone can be disappointed in these projects!!

Yes... yes... it will take several years to build but reading articles and seeing concept art of Star Wars Land itself... it will be worth the wait.

You are excited over a kid's coaster?
Star Wars land, obviously -- but 3 years down the road.... no reason to be ecstatic over a 5+ year project when Universal cranks out attractions within 2 years (usually ONE).

rd805

First of all... don't listen to what people think about anything. That doesn't even come close to how you might personally feel about things. Second, it doesn't take Disney any longer to build something then it does Universal, the major difference is that people know about their plans well in advance of them even starting. They don't have a need to rush into anything, they are already way larger then Universal as far as things to do are concerned, and since they aren't trying to play catch-up they tend to take their time. But, if you compared actual construction times (being from the first ground movement in the attraction area) you will find very little difference. I'm not sure even why anyone would want to encourage rapid, slipshod construction of anything. Maybe just to add an element of danger and excitement to the experience.

This is just so blatantly incorrect. It takes Disney 4-5 times longer to build things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom