Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

BuddyThomas

I think people are saying "story" when the real problem is "focus".

If you think of other, long-time, popular rides at WDW you have scenes and in those scenes you have something to focus on. With PotC, the story is basically: Some pirate 'stuff' is going down. There's not a huge story there, but there are individual scenes each with their own focus that makes the ride a classic. I can speak of the pirate auctioning off the red head and everyone thinks, "We wants the red head! WE WANTS THE RED HEAD!" There's a connection there.

You have the same deal with BTMRR, Splash, Living With the Land, etc. They all have scenes and all have a focus.

I've just watched the Na'vi River Journey on YouTube so I haven't experienced it directly, but it feels like it's little more than a trip through an alien swamp and, oh, there's a shaman. Imagine the Jungle Cruise with no scenes - just a lot of greenery. Oh, it may be really pretty. It could make you feel like you were in the jungle, but you'd get off thinking, "Ok. I just went on a pointless ride through the jungle..." It's the scenes and focus that make that ride.

Even when you get to the shaman on NRJ, while she's technically neat and quite an achievement in AA technology (I'm not in Pandora to evaluate AA technology) I'm looking at her with all of her movements and song I don't understand and I have no idea what she's doing or why she's doing it. There's nothing to tell me that she's making peace with the Pandora gods or singing an ancient mating song. She's just an advanced, well done AA doing "something". I think that misses the mark. She's the one thing on that ride that's a focus and, as a guest, you have no idea what the point of it is. I'm probably supposed to connect with her, somehow, but she's just a rando in the jungle. Even the head-hunter on Jungle Cruise tells me something and he's not AA at all - just stiff. I look at him and think, "Oh, watch out... The head-hunter is trying to sell me some heads!" The shaman? No idea.

While I was gathering my thoughts on this, after watching the video, it also dawned on me that 7DMT has a very similar problem. There are two scenes and a "meh" roller coaster. The "meh" roller coaster would be fine if you were traveling through multiple scenes. Instead, you have two, really well done, scenes on the lift hill and at the brake station. Those parts of the ride are awesome. On a roller coaster ride, the best part of a ride is the lift hill and brake station. The rest of that ride is just a "meh" coaster not even traveling through a mine but over and under rocks/small hills. The lack of scenes (and it's overall length but I really think it's primarily the lack of scenes) kind of kills it.
This is one of the most intelligent and well thought out and worded posts I have seen on here in.....well....ever. Thanks for putting into words what I've been thinking ever since seeing the video.

Kman101

So RustySprocket posted that FP was available on the 27th (I'm blocked out the 27th and 28th) ... um, there isn't a single FP available the entire last week of May so ... ;)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So RustySprocket posted that FP was available on the 27th (I'm blocked out the 27th and 28th) ... um, there isn't a single FP available the entire last week of May so ... ;)

Those FP+ selections were three days in a row weekdays after it opens. There are still some available this morning. There wasn't anything available on the 27th or 28th which is never surprising for most rides.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just thinking: If we can pin down a simple script we can create our own narration for this ride, burn it to MP3 and play it next time we journey the Na'vi River. Eh. It's something I'd enjoy doing anyway. Lifted a few phrases direct from Disney's VisitPandora website.

Here's what I got so far:

:microphone whines speaker clicks on : OK! Welcome Travelers to the Na'vi River Journey. I'm Marc, your Alpha Centauri Expeditions travel guide. In a moment, a reed boat will arrive to take you into the sacred Kaspavan River. Please Climb aboard and remember to keep your hands, arms and legs inside the boat at all times. Join us as we float along deep within the Valley of Mo’ara to discover the sacred bond between nature and ourselves. We'll take you right into the middle of the Na’vi culture as we explore the biolumensecent grottos while I provide "illuminating" color on the flora and exotic wildlife of native Pandora. With the "OK blessing" from our Na'vi friends we'll launch shortly. :speaker clicks off:

:speaker clicks on: OK! It looks like we're about to launch. Here we go! :speaker clicks off:

I want a Jungle Cruise style narration for the ride. ;)

Castle Cake Apologist

I love how the Disney Loyalists get offended when anyone dares criticize their beloved Disney. Disney makes FAR too many mistakes, and have so as of late, for them not to be called to the table.
But Disney ALWAYS has a story behind their rides. Even Disney Springs has a story associated with it.
The new Miss Adventure Falls came with a story.
Expedition Everest...has a story
Kilimanjaro safari..had a story...and still has a theme
Test Track has a story
That is what Disney is supposed to do. Their rides either have a story, or retell a story.

The Navi River Ride has NO STORY. It is just a ride through a pretty glowing jungle.
And after the novelty wears off....the people will show up less and less. No one is going to wait for 70+ minutes for a short boat ride.
I foresee this ride being being a 20 minutes or less ride in a few years unless Disney does something to make it more interesting.

And I am amazed at how much money, and publicity they put into a "C" ride. Every marketing campaign showed us NOTHING.
We knew at that moment that there was nothing on this ride...and we were right.

I'd love to know what you think the story line of Expedition Everest is other than that you are a tourist visiting the mountains and you happen to encounter a yeti during your experience. Sounds a lot like the ride you're trashing here, only replace mountains with Pandoran rainforest and yeti with Shaman of Songs.

Disney's greatest attractions do not have linear stories. Classic Imagineers detested the use of clearly defined stories, opting instead for rides that offered a series of experiences that the rider was actively a part of. Haunted Mansion. Pirates. Space Mountain. The original Fantastyland dark rides. None of these have linear stories.

I will honestly never understand why people would want to sit passively in a vehicle and be told a book report of a story instead of actively engaging in and experiencing things they could not possibly experience otherwise and feeling like part of the action. This is why many people consider Under the Sea to be a fundamentally poor attraction. I've seen The Little Mermaid a million times and am very familiar with its plot. I have absolutely no desire or need to be shown a quick and choppy retelling of the storyline. There's really no engagement for the rider. I'd much rather find myself an active participant in the world of the film.

It could certainly be a little longer, but a ride like NRJ would be right up somebody like Yale Gracey's alley.

As to your point about the wait times, I'm pretty sure they want it to eventually have 20-30 minute queues. It's not a headliner and it's not intended to be. It's a nice little c-ticket intended to round out the thrill rides of DAK. Much like attractions like Living with the Land and Gran Fiesta Tour. There has to be a balance.

I saw the video ride through. That's enough for me. It's boring.
I saw the new fireworks video too and that looks fantastic. It's amazing how video paints the picture for you isn't it.

Wait. Hold up. Seriously? What? Surely you're trolling. You have to be.

Except it doesn't. At all. Ever.
Experiencing anything live, in 3 dimensions, with all your senses, is nothing at all like watching in 2D space, even in 4K, in your living room. Sports, Broadway shows, concerts, travel, and yes, theme park attractions, cannot be appreciated unless experienced to feel your visceral reaction.

As soon as he said that, I checked out of lending his opinion of the attraction any kind of credence. How on EARTH could somebody have the gall to say that experiencing a YouTube video is equivalent to experiencing the same thing in person?? Especially a dark ride.

Ever? If I watch a television show online....that is the same experience everywhere.

I really hope you didn't actually think that was a valid response to what was said to you. I can see where maybe you thought that you were being clever? But, just... no.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Your wife is partially right. It is an actual physical Na'vi. But a static figure.

The arm movement is accomplished with projections.
And his face "follows" you a bit, did you notice? I'll let this video explain that.
All very interesting, to say the least.

Overall, glad to hear you enjoyed the ride.

THANK YOU for posting this. That figure was driving me insane. No matter how many times I experienced it, I legitimately could not figure it out if it was physical or projected. Musion Eyeliner effects can be incredibly convincing, so there was a debate raging in my head.

DisneyJunkie

How on EARTH could somebody have the gall to say that experiencing a YouTube video is equivalent to experiencing the same thing in person?? Especially a dark ride.

Doesn't take any gall, because in some cases, depending on the nature of the ride, the YouTube video really gives you all you need to know. In this case, it does and shows how boring the Na'vi River ride really is.

Castle Cake Apologist

Doesn't take any gall, because in some cases, depending on the nature of the ride, the YouTube video really gives you all you need to know. In this case, it does and shows how boring the Na'vi River ride really is.

How can you possibly say that when you have not experienced it in person? What a ridiculous statement.

It doesn't exactly take a genius to know that a ride heavily based on creative lighting, blacklit set design, and projected effects would be a COMPLETELY different experience in person than on a cell phone video.

Last edited:

No Name

One of the valuable differences between Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey is that one led by ACE, while the other is led by the indigenous people.

Flight of Passage is the very ACE-heavy ride. The railings along the queue have ACE logos on them, you walk through the lab and other facilities, watch the ACE-led preshow videos while standing on your number, board very high-tech "link-chairs," etc. Alpha Centurai Expenditions is very much involved.

On the other hand, Na'vi River Journey is just about ACE-free. One you pass the entrance canopy, the tour company is almost nowhere to be found. The railings are natural-looking, as are the queue and the ride vehicles. As the story goes, this was created by the Na'vi, using the natural resources of the planet.

I don't hate ACE... but this difference helps the rides be more unique.
I think you should keep that into consideration when coming up with ideas for how to improve NRJ.

Castle Cake Apologist

Agree 1000%. It's not boring at all. My first ride blew me away, so I had to do it 2 more times to take everything in.

It's mindblowingly immersive. Every conceivable surface is covered. The lighting and set design is top notch and the layered projection effects add motion and depth that would have been impossible otherwise and are virtually seamless in person. Seeing it in a video does not convey the same experience whatsoever.

I completely agree that the ride should be longer and that a few more limited motion figures would make a huge difference, but the ride is far from boring.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
It's mindblowingly immersive. Every conceivable surface is covered. The lighting and set design is top notch and the layered projection effects add motion and depth that would have been impossible otherwise and are virtually seamless in person. Seeing it in a video does not convey the same experience whatsoever.

I completely agree that the ride should be longer and that a few more limited motion figures would make a huge difference, but the ride is far from boring.

I agree. I rode NRJ twice yesterday and was impressed with how immersive it was. Like you said, every conceivable surface is covered. On rides likes Mermaid and Pirates you can see bare walls, columns and ceilings, but everything in NRJ has something. It is really beautiful.

I thought that the length was actually quite okay. I had read so much about it being a short ride that I had very low expectations, but I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, it would have been nice if it was longer and if there were more animatronics, but every ride is better when it's longer with more animatronics. ;) It is a slow-paced relaxing beautifully themed ride that I think compliments the land and Animal Kingdom very well.

I thought that the queue here was also quite stunning. The ceiling is covered with all these woven objects, it is incredible. So much work must have gone into all that.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I have yet to experience Pandora at night, but if it is as beautiful as the artist renderings I wonder if it'll be worth it to even do NRJ, especially if the wait time is long. Walking around Pandora is just as immersive as riding NRJ. Just like on the boat ride, every surface in Pandora is covered with alien plants, moss, etc. The ride is just a few minutes, but you can walk around outside for as long as you want to see similarly themed alien plants and landscapes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom