AKL or BWI during the Holidays?

AKL or BWI during the Holidays?

• AKL

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • BWI

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

epcotisbest

Does the lobby get as hectic as the monorail resorts? We had an Uber pick us up at BWI after dinner on the Boardwalk last year, the lobby wasn't crowded at all. I've ruled at BWI, but just wondered about the comfort level of Jambo lobby, I want a more laid back feel after the prior week and a half events.

My reasoning for the 2 beds is because I don't want to deal with opening and closing a sofa bed every morning/evening, folding blankets and sheets and putting back in the closet. This sounds horrible to me..I'm on vacation!!!
And I have way too strong of an aversion to clutter to leave it out all day.

I'm on the website but haven't booked yet. Listening to comments here and googling both pools.
Even if the lobby at Jambo happens to be crowded and hectic, it is still a lovely place. I think it will be fine, especially the week after Thanksgiving.
You might get there, practically have it to yourself, then laugh about being worried about it. You might get there and it is very busy, but hey, you are still at a lovely place.
We prefer Kidani for many reasons, but would, and probably will stay at Jambo again. It is kinda like trying to decide on chocolate ice cream or strawberry ice cream...either way, hey, ice cream!

21stamps

Original Poster
Even if the lobby at Jambo happens to be crowded and hectic, it is still a lovely place. I think it will be fine, especially the week after Thanksgiving.
You might get there, practically have it to yourself, then laugh about being worried about it. You might get there and it is very busy, but hey, you are still at a lovely place.
We prefer Kidani for many reasons, but would, and probably will stay at Jambo again. It is kinda like trying to decide on chocolate ice cream or strawberry ice cream...either way, hey, ice cream!

Yes, I know it's been awhile, but you've experienced my nonsense before.lol. I tend to stress over the small things when it comes to vacations. I've already switched cruise ships 3 times.. I'm done with that now, refusing to second guess myself again. But as for WDW, I was shocked that Poly was sold out, also shocked that Ft Wilderness was sold out, I thought a cabin and golf cart might be fun..but the pool was still an obstacle anyway there. I know kiddo would have loved WL again, but that is also sold out.

Here's my goal for our 2017 November trip.. book 2 resorts- do NOT change them.

epcotisbest

Ok wait, sorry that wasn't the last question..

Does one 'house' have more activities than the other? I'm thinking about maybe just doing two resort days..one with mini golf or Boardwalk and bikes. Can you rent bikes at AKL? I didn't see it listed on the website.

Also, @epcotisbest , you know that we enjoyed the community room at WL. Is the Kidani one similar? Do the doors lock to Kidani the same way they do at the WL DVC building?

Would you guys recommend shaving a day from GF and adding one to AKL? Is there enough to keep us occupied at the resort?
I am the wrong person to ask about stuff to do at the resorts, as we can, and do spend an entire week at a resort and love it.
No bikes at AKL.
Kidani is its own resort, with its own lobby and check in desk. They don't lock the doors that I am aware of, but you might need magic band access to some areas, not sure.

21stamps

Original Poster
I am the wrong person to ask about stuff to do at the resorts, as we can, and do spend an entire week at a resort and love it.
No bikes at AKL.
Kidani is its own resort, with its own lobby and check in desk. They don't lock the doors that I am aware of, but you might need magic band access to some areas, not sure.

Ummm.. that's why you're the perfect person to ask!! I wouldn't have known about the Hidden Mickey hunt otherwise!

I know last year you said cookie decorating and animal guides.. I'm wondering if we could just spend an entire day/evening on property. Without even going elsewhere for a meal.

epcotisbest

My reasoning for the 2 beds is because I don't want to deal with opening and closing a sofa bed every morning/evening, folding blankets and sheets and putting back in the closet. This sounds horrible to me..I'm on vacation!!!
And I have way too strong of an aversion to clutter to leave it out all day.

I'm on the website but haven't booked yet. Listening to comments here and googling both pools.

So let me ask you something, and I am not trying to be a smarta** here. What do you do with the second bed in a room with two beds during the day? Do you place it out in the hallway, perhaps store it in bathroom, or out on the balcony?
Then why in the world would you open and close the sofa bed every day. Make it up like a bed and leave it out. I checked and there are no rules you have to fold it up every day. If you are using it as a bed, think of it as a bed with a sofa shaped headboard. My head is hurting just thinking about that one. Guess I have come to realize in my old age that it don't make a lick of difference if you leave the sofa bed folded out. Will walking into the room and having the sofa bed already folded out change your trip in any way?
Maybe I am a simpleton, but, to me, two beds or one bed and a sofa bed are six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Also, I forgot to mention, the walk between Kidani and Jambo is much further than the walkway from WL to the WL villas.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Ummm.. that's why you're the perfect person to ask!! I wouldn't have known about the Hidden Mickey hunt otherwise!

I know last year you said cookie decorating and animal guides.. I'm wondering if we could just spend an entire day/evening on property. Without even going elsewhere for a meal.
I think so. Plenty to do there.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Here is an activities schedule from 2014. Lots of stuff to do.

AKL .jpg

Much-Pixie-Dust

There's so much to do. We normally do 2 resort days when staying at AKL. If your kiddo wants to do every beaded activity, then you will go to both Jambo and Kidani. My family enjoys the cultural representatives that have talks too. Great place for hidden Mickey hunting and cookie decorating is fun too. We love AKL, both Jambo and Kidani, but we think the pool and bar at Kidani are better. My kiddo says the slide and play area are much better at Kidani, but it's fun to swim and take breaks and watch the flamingos at Jambo.

21stamps

Original Poster

21stamps

Original Poster
There's so much to do. We normally do 2 resort days when staying at AKL. If your kiddo wants to do every beaded activity, then you will go to both Jambo and Kidani. My family enjoys the cultural representatives that have talks too. Great place for hidden Mickey hunting and cookie decorating is fun too. We love AKL, both Jambo and Kidani, but we think the pool and bar at Kidani are better. My kiddo says the slide and play area are much better at Kidani, but it's fun to swim and take breaks and watch the flamingos at Jambo.

Wonderful!!! Thank you!! I'm going to plan on 2 days!

Much-Pixie-Dust

To me AKL is like a vacation within a vacation if that makes sense. And don't even get me started about the smells of Jambo lobby. It's smells of such good food and then there's the music. If you stay at AKL your kiddo will probably like the primal parade at night too. It's cute and festive!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
To me AKL is like a vacation within a vacation if that makes sense. And don't even get me started about the smells of Jambo lobby. It's smells of such good food and then there's the music. If you stay at AKL your kiddo will probably like the primal parade at night too. It's cute and festive!!!

Wait, what?! A parade? We're only doing 3 nights there.. 4 at another resort. Too much to do and too little time!! I'm already thinking where and what I can shave off. Lol

I do want to ride bikes again, and the more I think about it we'll probably just go to back to Ft Wilderness, I'll have to check if we can rent bikes there without being a guest.

We will be coming off of a 7 night, 4 port cruise. Part of me wants to do less park time and more Disney World "Resort" time.

Oh, and originally we were going out of Port Canaveral but I changed the cruise to Miami, so unfortunately we won't be at WDW for our pre cruise night.

correcaminos

I would say there is so much to do at both as well. We preferred a lot of the Kidani offerings but have no hesitation to do anything at Jambo. The drum circle was a huge hit and we went many times. Using the night vision goggles was my favorite though.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Great parade with kiddos singing and playing instruments throughout lobby all guided by a cultural rep. There's bike rentals at CSR and it's a nice flat trail and pretty scenery. We enjoy biking too. Have fun!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
Thanks all! I booked Jambo last night.. just couldn't get past the one bed thing, and the counter service restaurant.

I'm thinking we'll spend a lot of time at the Kidani pool though!

Roknrollrghostr

I do want to ride bikes again, and the more I think about it we'll probably just go to back to Ft Wilderness, I'll have to check if we can rent bikes there without being a guest.

You can absolutely rent bikes without being a Fort Wilderness guest, we've done it several times at both FW and WL.

A vacation within a vacation is exactly why AKL is my favorite WDW resort. My husband and I stayed there for the first time last year and were so completely enchanted that we booked it again this fall. It was both completely relaxing yet there was always something to do, so no matter what your mood you'll have a way to enjoy it. There truly is nothing like waking up to the animals outside your room. Congrats on booking it, I hope you love it as much as I do!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom