First solo trip

MagicMegan

I'm thinking about doing a solo trip the last week of May. I know it's soon but it's kind of a 'get away to keep my sanity' trip lol. It would be for 4 nights and I would most likely stay at POP.

What are your pros and cons to solo trips so I can make the best decisions? :)

jaklgreen

A lot of people at work asked why I didn't invite them. At first I said sorry and asked if they wanted to go, but now my replies are more of a "If you have the money right now I can add you on, but honestly, I don't want anyone to go with me..."

That is so weird to me. Who would invite themselves on your vacation? If they want to go they are adults and can plan their own vacation. You are nicer then I would have been. I would have told them to big their big boy/girl panties on and plan their own trip. I'm not your Mom.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
That is so weird to me. Who would invite themselves on your vacation? If they want to go they are adults and can plan their own vacation. You are nicer then I would have been. I would have told them to big their big boy/girl panties on and plan their own trip. I'm not your Mom.
Right lol... I try to keep it civil at work, but I don't hang out with any of these people outside of work... I don't want them to go on vacation with me. And after telling them I would need like $700 asap they all kind of were like "Oh...". Yeah... I'm not paying for you. If you want to go, fine, but I wasn't waiting for anyone to give me money before I booked. And I'm definitely not paying for anyone else.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Right lol... I try to keep it civil at work, but I don't hang out with any of these people outside of work... I don't want them to go on vacation with me. And after telling them I would need like $700 asap they all kind of were like "Oh...". Yeah... I'm not paying for you. If you want to go, fine, but I wasn't waiting for anyone to give me money before I booked. And I'm definitely not paying for anyone else.

I find that people see that I go to WDW often and think that I have all of this money that I should shower on them. Umm, we work at the same job, just because I am frugal and choose to scrimp and save to go on vacation does not mean that I should pay for them while they spend willy nilly. I think it is beyond rude to try to insert yourself in someone's private life. Next time someone says something to you about them going with you, ask them when the next time they are going somewhere is so that you can go too. LOL

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

Original Poster
I find that people see that I go to WDW often and think that I have all of this money that I should shower on them. Umm, we work at the same job, just because I am frugal and choose to scrimp and save to go on vacation does not mean that I should pay for them while they spend willy nilly. I think it is beyond rude to try to insert yourself in someone's private life. Next time someone says something to you about them going with you, ask them when the next time they are going somewhere is so that you can go too. LOL
Same... "You go to Disney so much... you must be rich." No... I just don't do anything else. Lately I pretty much quit drinking jest because I was spending way too much money and far too much time in bars. I'll be drinking on this trip, but it's Disney. I basically paid for my trip with the money I would have spent on alcohol the last year.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Being kind, Many people who aren't into Disney are really pretty unaware of just exactly how much it costs. In the past I used to get the same questions so I started sending out e mails to my friends detailing when I was going, where I was staying and most importantly breaking down the cost for the trip, hotel tickets, dining etc. They stopped asking after a while. Now all of my friends know, if you want to go to Disney with me, they should ask me, as I might already have a trip planned for that time frame! Marie

Upvote 0

Miceberg

I had so much fun on a solo trip, that I immediately planned a second which was "hijacked" by a co-worker. It ended up being fun, we pooled our money together and stayed at AKL which was great! My next solo trip is going to be a secret, however, because it's really nice to do whatever I want, when I want and at the pace I want.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Being kind, Many people who aren't into Disney are really pretty unaware of just exactly how much it costs. In the past I used to get the same questions so I started sending out e mails to my friends detailing when I was going, where I was staying and most importantly breaking down the cost for the trip, hotel tickets, dining etc. They stopped asking after a while. Now all of my friends know, if you want to go to Disney with me, they should ask me, as I might already have a trip planned for that time frame! Marie

Too bad there is not this magical thing called the internet that a person can find out anything they want. I can understand if someone has never been someplace and has no idea. But as big as WDW is and how much they advertise etc, you would think that someone would look it up and do a bit of research before they try to attach themselves to someone else's trip. I am not even close to being young anymore so I grew up without all of this technology. But I definitely use it if I need to know something. I always say that with all this information at your fingertips, there is no excuse to go blind into anything. That is just laziness. I am more then happy to talk someone's ear off if they want to talk Disney, but don't think that you are just going to drag along with me because you are too lazy to plan your own trip. That is how I see it.

Upvote 0

Minthorne

Same... "You go to Disney so much... you must be rich." No... I just don't do anything else. Lately I pretty much quit drinking jest because I was spending way too much money and far too much time in bars. I'll be drinking on this trip, but it's Disney. I basically paid for my trip with the money I would have spent on alcohol the last year.

I get this all the time too. But I saved up to buy DVC to have the hotel rooms, I go as many times as I can while I have an AP then take a long break, and I save credit card points for flights. So, I go to WDW and can just plan to spend food/drink mostly. I even pack breakfast stuff for the room and some drinks!

I am rich - rich in planning! But sometimes people thing cause I own the DVC they should get to come along for the room for free - and then when I have taken some people they will go for free and spend ludicrous amount on them-self for stuff in the parks: Souvenirs, clothes etc. and I am like "well I just subsidized that - if you had all that cash you could chip in for my maintenance fees or at least buy dinner one night..." but I don't say anything - they move lower on the list to be invited back. I'd rather go alone sometimes!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Too bad there is not this magical thing called the internet that a person can find out anything they want. I can understand if someone has never been someplace and has no idea. But as big as WDW is and how much they advertise etc, you would think that someone would look it up and do a bit of research before they try to attach themselves to someone else's trip. I am not even close to being young anymore so I grew up without all of this technology. But I definitely use it if I need to know something. I always say that with all this information at your fingertips, there is no excuse to go blind into anything. That is just laziness. I am more then happy to talk someone's ear off if they want to talk Disney, but don't think that you are just going to drag along with me because you are too lazy to plan your own trip. That is how I see it.
One might think so. Trust me I run across this an awful lot!!! For whatever reason people think as this is a "small" trip, I am guessing they mean within the USA, it wont be as costly as say going abroad. It does happen frequently.
Also you get the "oh that sounds great, I'd love to go to WDW, etc." Until you start rattling off prices, even assuming that you are OK with the company on the trip. You know the old saying, Put up or shut up. As I said I do see this a lot. Marie

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom