AKL or BWI during the Holidays?

AKL or BWI during the Holidays?

• AKL

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • BWI

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

lostpro9het

True, but it's worth noting that those times are lobby-to-lobby. Each house is one giant building so you could have a bit of a walk to get from wherever you are at one to wherever you're going at the other.
:rolleyes:
Fine, add another 2ish minutes to get to any pool or restaurant from their respective lobby.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Fine, add another 2ish minutes to get to any pool or restaurant from their respective lobby.
It wasn't a criticism. But I've stayed at AKL a ton of times and even though you can get from one to the other, I find that I never actually do, mostly because I don't think there's anything unique enough at one or the other to justify the hassle.

nickys

Premium Member
It wasn't a criticism. But I've stayed at AKL a ton of times and even though you can get from one to the other, I find that I never actually do, mostly because I don't think there's anything unique enough at one or the other to justify the hassle.

For me, the pool, Sanaa and the outlook walkway at Kidani versus the lobby, the Mara and Victoria Falls at Jambo.

I loved the cozy atmosphere at Kidani, but the lobby at Jambo is just amazing.

MSCollins77

Please give reasons for the vote.. thanks!!

Room types are -
Lake for BWI.
Savanna View for AKL.

I have booked and cancelled an AKL stay twice.. the resort looks intriguing, but the distance is a turn off. The Christmastime photos look gorgeous though!

I am going to cheat and suggest both. All you need to do is check out drop your bags with bell services and tell them you are transferring and they will move your bags then go about your day and show up at your new resort. Make sure your tix on the first reservation cover the days you will be there during your second and as long as you stay at least 2 more nights you can add the dinning plan I have stayed at Boardwalk three times and AKL for 3 times. I love AKL and if you were staying at a moderate or value it really isn't any longer travel time but you cant beat being able to walk to Epcot or Hollywood studios so give yourself both experiences. Maybe do AKL the first day if you are not doing the parks and you can just enjoy the resort. Do the night Safari tour (not free though)

21stamps

Original Poster
Thank you!!!

Yes, a cash guest is treated like a hotel guest in every respect, not like a points guest. Even if you were in a Saratoga treehouse or a two bedroom villa somewhere, you'd get daily housekeeping with coffee and whatnot.

He won't be uncomfortable. It's a foam mattress on a solid platform. No coils or bars. However, for me, I find them ugly.

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but why are you looking at Studios when there are standard rooms available? I much prefer Jambo over Kidani, though I wouldn't hesitate with Kidani if it were the only thing available.

I just don't know if I want to take it out ever day.

I'm leaning towards Jambo bc of the 2 beds. What do you like better about it? Do you spend a lot of time at Kidani as well?

Travel between houses is very quick, either 8ish minute walk or a shuttle that arrives every 10-15 minutes.

Kidani is our preferred house for a few reasons. We'll stay at Jambo if we need/want a cheap 1-bedroom.

What are your reasons? I'm trying to decide which one we would spend more time at. A 20 minute round trip to the pool doesn't sound great. The photos that @epcotisbest posted look like a decent pool.. I'm curious why people seem to prefer Kidani.

Oh and I can say for certain the slide at Kidani is great! One of the top slides we've been on.

Is it worth putting your kid on a sofa bed, and the inconvenience of a sofa bed?lol

lostpro9het

What are your reasons? I'm trying to decide which one we would spend more time at. A 20 minute round trip to the pool doesn't sound great.

Its all very subjective, obviously...deja deja vu time!!
Pros and cons!
KIDANI:
Pros:
Covered parking under your area of the resort
First bus stop
Excellent TS service offering in Sanaa
Better pool
Better breakfast option in Sanaa
Larger/more bathrooms depending on the room
Community hall with many activities for the family
Cons:
No true QS offering for all day dining, but some grab and go items are available in the gift shop and pool as well as a drink machine.
Some folks don't care for the small lobby
some folks don't care for the small gift shop.
JAMBO:
Pros:
Huge beautiful lobby that smells magnificent.
Huge gift shop area
Dedicated all day QS offering
Probably one of the best TS offerings in Jiko.
Folks really seem to like Boma, but its not for me.
Value rooms to save on points
Cons:
Its the second bus stop
I think the pool is pretty "meh"

21stamps

Original Poster
I am going to cheat and suggest both. All you need to do is check out drop your bags with bell services and tell them you are transferring and they will move your bags then go about your day and show up at your new resort. Make sure your tix on the first reservation cover the days you will be there during your second and as long as you stay at least 2 more nights you can add the dinning plan I have stayed at Boardwalk three times and AKL for 3 times. I love AKL and if you were staying at a moderate or value it really isn't any longer travel time but you cant beat being able to walk to Epcot or Hollywood studios so give yourself both experiences. Maybe do AKL the first day if you are not doing the parks and you can just enjoy the resort. Do the night Safari tour (not free though)

Thank you...this will already be a split stay..I want my kid to experience a new resort.. perfect suggestion though :)

I don't think kiddo is old enough for the nighttime safari :(.

For me, the pool, Sanaa and the outlook walkway at Kidani versus the lobby, the Mara and Victoria Falls at Jambo.

I loved the cozy atmosphere at Kidani, but the lobby at Jambo is just amazing.

Thanks!!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm leaning towards Jambo bc of the 2 beds. What do you like better about it? Do you spend a lot of time at Kidani as well?
Two real beds and the quick service dining situation. The pull-out makes me feel like I'm staying at my mother-in-law's house, not in a $400 per night hotel room. I love Kidani when I'm in a one- or two-bedroom villa, but there's no proper quick service dining if you need a quick meal and don't have a kitchen. They've partially solved the problem by serving QS breakfast at Sanaa, but that doesn't help you if you want a flatbread or hot sandwich at lunch or dinner time.

I agree with others that Kidani has the better pool, but it's not a matter of A+ versus D-. The Jambo pool is also excellent, such that I'd rate them A+ / A.

You really can't go wrong. If I ranked all the resorts on property and we considered Jambo and Kidani separate resorts, Jambo would be my #1 and Kidani my #2.

correcaminos

Is it worth putting your kid on a sofa bed, and the inconvenience of a sofa bed?lol
My son would say YES!!!!! He's 9 though LOL

He just slept on one in March and said it was just as comfortable as most other beds he's been in. Honestly though just whichever side you go to, visit the other. We always go to Jambo when at AKL but not for the pool (sorry I don't think it's that great). We would go for Mara but only to do a change of pace so to speak as we do a lot of resort time staying there. Both are excellent and while we have our preference, you need to pick what is right for your family.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

He just slept on one in March and said it was just as comfortable as most other beds he's been in.
Agreed, there is 100% no issue with the comfort of the sleeper sofas. It's more a matter of whether they bother you aesthetically or from an ease-of-use perspective. Whenever I use a pull-out, I end up annoyed with the opening-and-closing of the thing every day and I end up with sheets and blankets and pillows everywhere so the sofa itself ends up unused.

disneygirl1

such a tough choice! I have stayed at both during the holidays, and décor wise both a very nice, but AKL wins it for me. There is just something about walking into that lobby with that huge tree in the middle that makes me feel at home. It's such a warm and inviting atmosphere at AKL during the holidays!

correcaminos

Agreed, there is 100% no issue with the comfort of the sleeper sofas. It's more a matter of whether they bother you aesthetically or from an ease-of-use perspective. Whenever I use a pull-out, I end up annoyed with the opening-and-closing of the thing every day and I end up with sheets and blankets and pillows everywhere so the sofa itself ends up unused.
We just leave ours open if it isn't a long trip or in a studio/larger 1 bedroom villa. We don't have time for that, just make it up like a bed and move along :) No use of the sofa but we need it more for sleeping anyway.

21stamps

Original Poster
Its all very subjective, obviously...deja deja vu time!!
Pros and cons!
KIDANI:
Pros:
Covered parking under your area of the resort
First bus stop
Excellent TS service offering in Sanaa
Better pool
Better breakfast option in Sanaa
Larger/more bathrooms depending on the room
Community hall with many activities for the family
Cons:
No true QS offering for all day dining, but some grab and go items are available in the gift shop and pool as well as a drink machine.
Some folks don't care for the small lobby
some folks don't care for the small gift shop.
JAMBO:
Pros:
Huge beautiful lobby that smells magnificent.
Huge gift shop area
Dedicated all day QS offering
Probably one of the best TS offerings in Jiko.
Folks really seem to like Boma, but its not for me.
Value rooms to save on points
Cons:
Its the second bus stop
I think the pool is pretty "meh"

Thank you for this! I clicked your link and got confused between the 2 threads for a moment.lol

Two real beds and the quick service dining situation. The pull-out makes me feel like I'm staying at my mother-in-law's house, not in a $400 per night hotel room. I love Kidani when I'm in a one- or two-bedroom villa, but there's no proper quick service dining if you need a quick meal and don't have a kitchen. They've partially solved the problem by serving QS breakfast at Sanaa, but that doesn't help you if you want a flatbread or hot sandwich at lunch or dinner time.

I agree with others that Kidani has the better pool, but it's not a matter of A+ versus D-. The Jambo pool is also excellent, such that I'd rate them A+ / A.

You really can't go wrong. If I ranked all the resorts on property and we considered Jambo and Kidani separate resorts, Jambo would be my #1 and Kidani my #2.

Thank you. I would make the sofa back every day..which I think may get annoying.lol

He just slept on one in March and said it was just as comfortable as most other beds he's been in. Honestly though just whichever side you go to, visit the other. We always go to Jambo when at AKL but not for the pool (sorry I don't think it's that great). We would go for Mara but only to do a change of pace so to speak as we do a lot of resort time staying there. Both are excellent and while we have our preference, you need to pick what is right for your family.

My son is 7. If I told him one pool has a better slide, he would make the same choice as your son!

But, he doesn't have to fold up and pull down a sofa Day and night...so I'm not asking him.lol

This hurts my OCD mind..I'd have a meltdown.lol

such a tough choice! I have stayed at both during the holidays, and décor wise both a very nice, but AKL wins it for me. There is just something about walking into that lobby with that huge tree in the middle that makes me feel at home. It's such a warm and inviting atmosphere at AKL during the holidays!

Thanks!

To everyone, and @lostpro9het and @epcotisbest -

One last question.. is the lobby in Jambo typically crowded? That was the one thing I really enjoyed about WL.. we could actually sit down in the lobby of the hotel we were staying at!!!

Omi19

Have stayed at Jambo House many times. Always lots of seating in the lobby, even when special Christmas music is presented in the early evening.

lostpro9het

To everyone, and @lostpro9het and @epcotisbest -

One last question.. is the lobby in Jambo typically crowded? That was the one thing I really enjoyed about WL.. we could actually sit down in the lobby of the hotel we were staying at!!!
Depends on when exactly you go. There are plenty of places to sit but Christmas time is BUSY plus you have all the Boma and Jiko folks ebbing and flowing during meal times it can seem real busy but there are plenty of places to sit. Then the huge tree in the lobby where a CM is usually doing photos can add to it. But don't forget you also have the seating( some chairs and benches) just off the lobby overlooking the savanna.

Jambo during the evening during Christmas week:
GOPR1584.jpg

21stamps

Original Poster
Depends on when exactly you go. There are plenty of places to sit but Christmas time is BUSY plus you have all the Boma and Jiko folks ebbing and flowing during meal times it can seem real busy but there are plenty of places to sit. Then the huge tree in the lobby where a CM is usually doing photos can add to it. But don't forget you also have the seating( some chairs and benches) just off the lobby overlooking the savanna.

Jambo during the evening during Christmas week:
GOPR1584.jpg

We will be there the week after Thanksgiving, same week we went last year..not the low crowds that everyone said would be. Now I know what to expect.

Wow that's gorgeous!!! It looks a lot less hectic than GF's lobby!
Seriously we dressed up to get our picture taken in front of the tree a few times, but I was too impatient to wait for the line...and the lobby was just crowded and loud, nightly. WL was such a refreshing change of pace. I think AKL will be too!

epcotisbest

We will be there the week after Thanksgiving, same week we went last year..not the low crowds that everyone said would be. Now I know what to expect.

Wow that's gorgeous!!! It looks a lot less hectic than GF's lobby!
Seriously we dressed up to get our picture taken in front of the tree a few times, but I was too impatient to wait for the line...and the lobby was just crowded and loud, nightly. WL was such a refreshing change of pace. I think AKL will be too!

@lostpro9het has a good point about the AKL lobby. Ebb and flow crowds is a good description. We have been there when it seemed uncomfortably hectic and crowded and at other times when it seemed almost deserted, all during the same week. Lots of times in the evenings there are guests from Jiko and BOMA hanging out before and after their meals, resort hoppers visiting to see the place, and guests of AKL all mingling at the same time. Sometimes a group just off a cruise will show up too.
It is a beautiful resort and I think you will like it. As for the two beds thing, I don't understand the thinking on that, as a room with two beds and a room with a bed and sleeper sofa has the same amount of space, so that confuses me, but I am sure you have your reasons. Does not have to make sense to me as long as it works for you.

21stamps

Original Poster
@lostpro9het has a good point about the AKL lobby. Ebb and flow crowds is a good description. We have been there when it seemed uncomfortably hectic and crowded and at other times when it seemed almost deserted, all during the same week. Lots of times in the evenings there are guests from Jiko and BOMA hanging out before and after their meals, resort hoppers visiting to see the place, and guests of AKL all mingling at the same time. Sometimes a group just off a cruise will show up too.
It is a beautiful resort and I think you will like it. As for the two beds thing, I don't understand the thinking on that, as a room with two beds and a room with a bed and sleeper sofa has the same amount of space, so that confuses me, but I am sure you have your reasons. Does not have to make sense to me as long as it works for you.

Does the lobby get as hectic as the monorail resorts? We had an Uber pick us up at BWI after dinner on the Boardwalk last year, the lobby wasn't crowded at all. I've ruled at BWI, but just wondered about the comfort level of Jambo lobby, I want a more laid back feel after the prior week and a half events.

My reasoning for the 2 beds is because I don't want to deal with opening and closing a sofa bed every morning/evening, folding blankets and sheets and putting back in the closet. This sounds horrible to me..I'm on vacation!!!
And I have way too strong of an aversion to clutter to leave it out all day.

I'm on the website but haven't booked yet. Listening to comments here and googling both pools.

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok wait, sorry that wasn't the last question..

Does one 'house' have more activities than the other? I'm thinking about maybe just doing two resort days..one with mini golf or Boardwalk and bikes. Can you rent bikes at AKL? I didn't see it listed on the website.

Also, @epcotisbest , you know that we enjoyed the community room at WL. Is the Kidani one similar? Do the doors lock to Kidani the same way they do at the WL DVC building?

Would you guys recommend shaving a day from GF and adding one to AKL? Is there enough to keep us occupied at the resort?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom