More Classy Behavior of Guests at Disney

Chef Mickey

I'll say it again...alcohol really has no place at Disney.

It's not because alcohol is bad. It's because alcohol and idiots don't mix...and there are FAR too many idiots to manage.

Unfortunately, this 1% DOES ruin it for everyone, which is why there shouldn't be alcohol at a family park. It will never happen, but they should just get rid of the alcohol and charge more for soft drinks and non alcoholic mixed drinks.

danyoung56

While I respect your right to have an opinion, I disagree. I think there will always be idiots. But for every idiot that abuses alcohol in a Disney park, there are many many more who use it right - wine with dinner, a martini or 2 before fireworks, etc. I agree that a Disney park is no place to be falling down drunk. But punishing the many to get rid of a few is not a good solution, IMO.

Chef Mickey

While I respect your right to have an opinion, I disagree. I think there will always be idiots. But for every idiot that abuses alcohol in a Disney park, there are many many more who use it right - wine with dinner, a martini or 2 before fireworks, etc. I agree that a Disney park is no place to be falling down drunk. But punishing the many to get rid of a few is not a good solution, IMO.
Idiots with alochol are idiots on steroids. Those few people can go from just "sober annoying" people to "drunk, ruin it for everyone" people.

Agree on always being idiots and that's the problem. They don't need stimulants for their stupidity. I'm not questioning most peoples' ability to have a glass of wine with dinner. Most people can handle it. Unfortunately, the people who can't will find a away to ruin it for everyone. At a family park, it's just not worth it. They can make up the margin by charging more for other drinks.

I'd gladly pay $5 for Coke and Water if it meant these drunks at EPCOT couldn't get their alcohol. There are far too many there.

I'm also in favor of technology solving the problem. Every guest who wants alcohol must buy a nominally priced wristband which is scanned each time you order a drink. After a predetermined amount, you're cut off. I know people could still buy for you, but I think it would cut down on abuse.

Minnie Mum

It's not because alcohol is bad. It's because alcohol and idiots don't mix...and there are FAR too many idiots to manage.

Unfortunately, this 1% DOES ruin it for everyone, which is why there shouldn't be alcohol at a family park. It will never happen, but they should just get rid of the alcohol and charge more for soft drinks and non alcoholic mixed drinks.

But this jerk was at their resort, not at the parks. Are you seriously suggesting that they ban liquor sales at the resorts? And how would you suggest they enforce a ban, preventing guests from bringing their own booze to their rooms? Reality check.

And as bad as the man was, the wife (in the article) is one of the worst examples of an enabler and codependent as I've ever seen. First she says he only had 3 drinks, then admits he has a problem, but not all the time. WTH? And give me a break - any moron can tell the difference between a severe sunburn and excema. CPS should be taking a hard look at both of these "parents".

Chef Mickey

But this jerk was at their resort, not at the parks. Are you seriously suggesting that they ban liquor sales at the resorts? And how would you suggest they enforce a ban, preventing guests from bringing their own booze to their rooms? Reality check.

And as bad as the man was, the wife (in the article) is one of the worst examples of an enabler and codependent as I've ever seen. First she says he only had 3 drinks, then admits he has a problem, but not all the time. WTH? And give me a break - any moron can tell the difference between a severe sunburn and excema. CPS should be taking a hard look at both of these "parents".
I suggested a solution for park drinking and it could be implemented at resorts as well. I'm not sure how you stop people from bringing their own alcohol, but if it's discovered, it should be dealt with accordingly. I'm a big believer in privacy and respecting other people, but if your right to bring alcohol starts affecting me and my family, we have a problem.

KBLovedDisney

I'm also in favor of technology solving the problem. Every guest who wants alcohol must buy a nominally priced wristband which is scanned each time you order a drink. After a predetermined amount, you're cut off. I know people could still buy for you, but I think it would cut down on abuse.
A new Disney Magic Band for people who specifically want to buy/consume alcohol while they stay at Disney...I like it. I wonder what the designs would look like.

Minnie Mum

I suggested a solution for park drinking and it could be implemented at resorts as well. I'm not sure how you stop people from bringing their own alcohol, but if it's discovered, it should be dealt with accordingly. I'm a big believer in privacy and respecting other people, but if your right to bring alcohol starts affecting me and my family, we have a problem.

Honestly, I think you're trying to swat a fly with a sledge hammer. I'll leave it at that.

I have a problem with penalizing the majority for the abuses of a small minority. By all means deal firmly and consistently with any guest creating a disturbance (whether drunk or sober). But your approach is like banning all cars from the road because some drivers speed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Idiots with alochol are idiots on steroids. Those few people can go from just "sober annoying" people to "drunk, ruin it for everyone" people.

Agree on always being idiots and that's the problem. They don't need stimulants for their stupidity. I'm not questioning most peoples' ability to have a glass of wine with dinner. Most people can handle it. Unfortunately, the people who can't will find a away to ruin it for everyone. At a family park, it's just not worth it. They can make up the margin by charging more for other drinks.

I'd gladly pay $5 for Coke and Water if it meant these drunks at EPCOT couldn't get their alcohol. There are far too many there.

Different people have different tolerances. I'm happy to let people enjoy themselves until their enjoyment infringes on mine. At that point, call a CM and let management manage the issue.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Why can't they just leave people alone? Can't you see this family was just having a good time? They had probably just finished spending the day in Pandora and were celebrating the occasion. :hilarious:

On another note, I wonder who he mugged to get the money for the trip.

Sonconato

Original Poster

I agree with you. Great idea.

Phonedave

I am reminded of an other expression here. "Locks on doors keep the honest people honest"

If are someone who really likes to drink (or needs to drink) then you are going to find a way to drink. You are going to sneek alcohol in, or bring it to your resort and "pre-game" or go off property and drink and then come back drunk. You will find a way to drink.

If you instead are somone like me and my wife, who enjoys a glass of wine with dinner, or a margarita by the pool, and you ban alcohol at WDW we would be disappointed, but it would be no big deal to us. My reaction would be "OK, thats disappointing, but now lets go do something else.". We make it a point to also have one person who is sober (and by sober, I mean legaly sober to drive) if the kids are around, just in case somone needs to be driven somewhere - regardless of where we are (home, out, parties, etc).

I really don't think banning alcohol would have a large impact on the behavior you are trying to prevent.

-dave

KraftServices

Yeah, the part with the wife is almost worse to me. "It doesn't happen all the time"? So it's okay for your husband to go on drunken tirades and neglect your infant son because he doesn't do it all the time? And it really wasn't that bad but he's getting help for his problem? And I guess all those witnesses just made up that he was spouting slurs and charging at people with a stroller?

I wonder how the daughter that was competing in the cheerleader thing feels about this mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom