Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Questions:
  1. Did ToT/Does GotG: MB have a single rider line (or rider swap)? The kiddos were not big fans of ToT at WDW, so DH and I may tag off on riding this one without the kids.
  2. Summer of Heroes (sorry, locals): Will the Avengers Initiative and the Jedi Training Academy both be available? Our kids have done JTA at WDW, and I think it would be neat to do it at DLR as well. They might also want to do Avengers Initiative (since they and DH are huge comic book dorks). Would we be wasting too much time doing both training things for the kids?
  3. MaxPass -- any word yet on when this goes live?
  4. Aside from WoC (possibly) on our first night, I have not even thought about other nighttime entertainment. Rumor is Fantasmic!! might still be down (our trip is late July)? My kids had not seen MSEP at WDW yet, so that might be nice to see at DLR. And fireworks one night. Any recommendations for parade/fireworks viewing? I've read staying for the second parade is probably a better option, but I don't know if my kiddos can hang that late.
  5. Anything else I should know?

Thank you!!!

1. No single rider, yes child swap
2. Both shows will be available all summer, and I'm not hearing great things about ATI vs JTA. JTA may be a better use of your time.
3. Nope
4. Fireworks are best with a view of the castle, 2nd parade i always better than the 1st. Fantasmic does not have an opening date set as of yet

Reggie Colorado

Witchy Chick, on the days you do not have MM, consider visiting the park that does not have early opening, as it will be relatively less crowded. For example, if DCA has early opening, Radiator Springs Racers or Toy Story will already have long lines even if you are there at rope drop for the regular opening. On your MM day, also consider park hopping mid-day for the same reason. And given that the parks are right next to each other, aggressively use your PH tickets by monitoring the wait times in each park and walking over to the other park if you see better wait times.

Witchy Chick

1. No single rider, yes child swap
2. Both shows will be available all summer, and I'm not hearing great things about ATI vs JTA. JTA may be a better use of your time.
3. Nope
4. Fireworks are best with a view of the castle, 2nd parade i always better than the 1st. Fantasmic does not have an opening date set as of yet

Thanks!! I'll check back in a month or so (if you don't mind) for feedback/improvements (hopefully?) re: ATI. And if the Black Widow meet and greet is worth it (DD8 loooooooves BW). I think the nighttime entertainment I will have to play by ear as we are East Coasters. Not sure how my kiddos will do adjusting to the time change (although we do have the four days in SF first so they might be on PDT by the Anaheim portion of the trip). Thank you again!

Witchy Chick, on the days you do not have MM, consider visiting the park that does not have early opening, as it will be relatively less crowded. For example, if DCA has early opening, Radiator Springs Racers or Toy Story will already have long lines even if you are there at rope drop for the regular opening. On your MM day, also consider park hopping mid-day for the same reason. And given that the parks are right next to each other, aggressively use your PH tickets by monitoring the wait times in each park and walking over to the other park if you see better wait times.

Thanks!! I added that bit of advice to my notes. I'm not sure how much bouncing around park-to-park we'll be doing throughout each day. I was thinking more midday (depending on wait times, crowds, etc) as the "hey let's hit the other park" break point. And/or maybe hit a different park in the evenings after dinner (ex. DL for morning, DCA for afternoon, dinner break, DL for evening). If I were solo without DH and the kids, I'd be bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball. LOL

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
This thread is great, thanks so much for all the info. :) We just got back from our first trip to WDW and are planning a trip to DL in February (much closer to us since we live in Seattle).

It's interesting to see all the differences, but I think my kids will enjoy it just as much.

75disney

I am so excited! We finally booked our flights last night so we are going to Disneyland from 8/20-8/26. I plan on getting a four day park ticket and we are doing a Hollywood tour one of the days. We are staying at the Howard Johnson's. Any tips for where to eat (either in the parks or Disney hotels) or outside the parks? I have 2 teenagers with relatively picky palates. Also, any recommendations on a tour company to do Hollywood since we will not have a car?

thomas998

I am so excited! We finally booked our flights last night so we are going to Disneyland from 8/20-8/26. I plan on getting a four day park ticket and we are doing a Hollywood tour one of the days. We are staying at the Howard Johnson's. Any tips for where to eat (either in the parks or Disney hotels) or outside the parks? I have 2 teenagers with relatively picky palates. Also, any recommendations on a tour company to do Hollywood since we will not have a car?

Well the only place in Disneyland I would recommend is Blue Bayou (its pricey and you need reservation so if you do it be on the phone 30 days in advance)... The other sit down places in DL are just not that good. Counter service is what you would expect in a WDW park so no surprises there.... In CA most places are decent so take your pick based on what you like... The one place to avoid at all cost as far as Disney goes is Goofy's Kitchen which has the absolute worst service I've ever encounter at any Disney park anywhere... food is what you would get in a cafeteria but when you can't get a drink to wash anything down it wouldn't matter if it was great food or bad food you're still going to choke to death before you'll find any waiter, and did I mention you get hit with an automatic gratuity and pay upfront? I think its the reason the service is so worthless they already have your money so they don't care anymore about you the customer.

Now outside the park with no car your going to be stuck with things in walking distance. Between your hotel and the park gates you have a Panera, McDonalds and Ihop... There is a place called Captain Kidds right across from the park entrance DO NOT GO THERE, bad service and nasty food. If you keep walking past the park entrance on Harbor Blvd you'll see a Cold Stone Creamery which has decent ice cream.. and a Tony Romas which has decent barbecue and steaks (barbecue is better than the steaks)... I wouldn't bother going further on Harbor than the Tony Romas as there is nothing else worth it in walking distance.... Now if you want to get overpriced Disney Springs type food just go through the park entrance plaza and you'll be in downtown Disney with the same types of places you would find in Disney Springs but don't go there if you're looking for reasonable prices because you won't find anything reasonable there it will be things at Disney prices even the chains that would be reasonable at any of their other locations in California will be suffer Disney price inflation at the downtown Disney location so if your watching your budget don't think you'll find a better deal hear than in one of the parks.

JediMasterMatt

Congratulations on your upcoming trip. That week is the last heavy full week of the summer season, so you should have the full entertainment offerings. Crowds will be high; but, manageable as it's that week that it usually starts tapering off.

Usually, the following week is one of hidden gems on Disneyland's operational calendar as the crowds are typically much reduced during the week and they still offer most of the summer line up (nightly Fantasmic's are the only thing missing on the weekdays). This year I'm predicting it will be significantly busier though as Fantasmic will just be coming back and annual pass restrictions are lifted. While I don't know for sure... my hunch is there will be some extra Fantasmic offerings that week in the form of passholder events at least.

As far as food, Blue Bayou is good (not great) in terms of the food quality; but, it makes up for in in ambience and the Fantasmic dinning package is a great way to get a good view of the show. Carthay Circle is always excellent (I've never had a bad meal there). Outside the parks, the great news is the Pizza Press has relocated and is open. It's always a good spot to grab a bite to eat and maybe even make some new Cast Member friends.

JediMasterMatt

Oh... and I almost forgot to add my usual message about DLR visits compared to WDW. Relax and don't over plan things. The real joy of Disneyland Resort is that you can treat it just the way you use to a visit to WDW many decades ago. Just let each day serve as an adventure and let the surprises unfold around every corner. At most, plan where you want to start the day and where you want to end up and in the middle make sure you grab a FP when available before you cash in the one you have (as long as you don't have to back track too much).

djlaosc

We just started booking our first Disneyland trip last week, having been to WDW 6 times and DLP 2 times, staying in studios at the Villas at Grand Californian - April 23rd-April 30th 2018.

The trip has been booked for a 60th Birthday (someone who originally saw Disneyland on one of the old Disney programs [I'm guessing Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color but not sure if this would be the right program to be shown in the UK at that time] and always wanted to go, but never has). Two other members of the party will be celebrating their 2nd Wedding Anniversary - the actual dates of these events are not while we are at Disneyland, but they are one of the reasons for booking the trip for next year.

We are looking for any ideas of what to expect - we are looking at booking a 5 day ticket (may seem like a lot to some people but we normally go to Florida for 3 weeks [obviously doing other things beside WDW], and are looking to do 5 park days (including at least one day at the weekend as they will probably be the only days for fireworks while we are there) and will probably fill the other two days with a pool/look around the 3 hotels/Downtown Disney day, and a day doing a Hollywood Tour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

NormC

We are heading to DLR on 8/21. Leaving 8/28. Staying at the Disneyland hotel with DVC points. I wanted to stay at Grand Californian but was over ruled by family. Planning to get a 5 day hopper for all of us but we plan to rent a car and do other things. Kids want to see Hollywood sign and the Boulevard, Chinese theater etc. Not sure if we will do Universal. Wife and I haven't been since late 80's and kids have never been so it will be a fun trip. This thread has some great info. Thanks.

75disney

On our upcoming trip, we would like to eat at a few TS reestaurants. My kids are 12 and 15 so they are too old for the children's menu, but they are very picky eaters. Would they be allowed to order off the kids' menu? Or would Disney be willing to convert one of the kids' meals to an adult platter with a higher price without the drink and extra stuff that comes with the kids' meals? I hate the idea of paying an adult price for a meal that they will just pick at and complain about.

surfsupdon

This thread is terrific. You helped me last year for my first ever trip to Cali. One year later I am now heading back for my 3rd time!!!! I love California!

On Disney property where to get a great steak?! Wagyu perhaps?? I'd imagine a hotel, not a park.

BrianV

We didnt explore the hotels much when we made our first visit. Pondering a second. Are any of the hotels within the "security zone"? My least favorite part of DisneyLand was waiting on that long line to have the right to wait in the admission line. (But of course better safe than sorry...)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
This thread is terrific. You helped me last year for my first ever trip to Cali. One year later I am now heading back for my 3rd time!!!! I love California!

On Disney property where to get a great steak?! Wagyu perhaps?? I'd imagine a hotel, not a park.

Napa Rose at the Grand Californian, or Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland Hotel.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
We didnt explore the hotels much when we made our first visit. Pondering a second. Are any of the hotels within the "security zone"? My least favorite part of DisneyLand was waiting on that long line to have the right to wait in the admission line. (But of course better safe than sorry...)

No, none are in the security zone. DLH and GCH are still worth visiting however.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom