New Addition's To Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

May 2012 is as far back as I can find the D ticket raft ride. Ride duration 5 minutes, THRC just under 2000.
OK, so this was the original NRJ? If Blueprints leaked in October, I suspect that it was probably already on the chopping block at that point. May 2012 is 8 months after the announcement.

As I said, I had info in my October 2012 article about an alternative plan that involved a coaster, but I admittedly only had one source on that and if pressed, I would say it wasn't an actual plan.

Princess Leia

While I really would like to see Lion King and Jungle Book get dark rides, I don't want a book report ride a la Little Mermaid.

I'd be okay with something similar to either of these:
  • Simba's Scary Adventures- elephant graveyard, stampede, Scar & hyenas
  • Jungle Book- Bare Necessities boat ride through the Indian jungle. Songs featured- Bare Necessities (pass by Baloo, Mowgli, Bagheera, the elephants, the wolves, segues into Trust In Me (boat turns a corner, nearly running into Shere Khan; small drop as we escape Kaa), then finishes with I Wanna Be Like You (King Louie, Mowgli & Baloo again)

Last edited:

AEfx

I know it's crazy talk, but I think they should be adding more animal exhibits to...Animal Kingdom. They could really add an exquisite and impressive new animal exhibit or two for a tiny fraction of what new ride attractions cost.

For example, now that chimps are finally being phased out of labs (by federal regulations) there are an awful lot of chimps that need homes in sanctuaries. Disney could build a world-class sanctuary with innovative viewing opportunities for a comparatively tiny investment of virtually anything else they could build.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While I really would like to see Lion King and Jungle Book get dark rides, I don't want a book report ride a la Little Mermaid.

I'd be okay with something similar to either of these:
  • Simba's Scary Adventures- elephant graveyard, stampede, Scar & hyenas
  • Jungle Book- Bare Necessities boat ride through the Indian jungle. Songs featured- Bare Necessities (pass by Baloo, Mowgli, Bagheera, the elephants, the wolves, segues into Trust In Me (boat turns a corner, nearly running into Shere Khan; small drop as we escape Kaa), then finishes with I Wanna Be Like You (King Louie, Mowgli & Baloo again)
Plans were mooted for a Lion King dark ride to complement the new theatre. Obviously they haven't happened yet. (Thats not a hint)

the.dreamfinder

I know it's crazy talk, but I think they should be adding more animal exhibits to...Animal Kingdom. They could really add an exquisite and impressive new animal exhibit or two for a tiny fraction of what new ride attractions cost.

For example, now that chimps are finally being phased out of labs (by federal regulations) there are an awful lot of chimps that need homes in sanctuaries. Disney could build a world-class sanctuary with innovative viewing opportunities for a comparatively tiny investment of virtually anything else they could build.
Also, as some who draws primates, chimps are more interesting than those ducking pandas everyone wants.

Princess Leia

Plans were mooted for a Lion King dark ride to complement the new theatre. Obviously they haven't happened yet. (Thats not a hint)
I was actually just thinking about the AK show. I'm trying to remember- does the Lion King show go through any of the plot, or does it just go through the songs?

MCast

I think they have a really cool opportunity to do something big with The Jungle Book at Animal Kingdom. I believe it's better suited for this park as opposed to overlaying it on The Jungle Cruise at MK.

There are a lot of rich, fascinating settings in The Jungle Book ranging from the monkey temple, to the dark rain forest, to the wolves perch. It's animal focused. It's slightly scary yet lighthearted as well. I just think it fits like a glove in AK.

AEfx

Also, as some who draws primates, chimps are more interesting than those ducking pandas everyone wants.

Very true. While retired lab chimps aren't as cute and cuddly as breeding families with babies, Disney would score some major PR with it because it's an actual need right now. They could also set some great examples, too. Sanctuaries are generally not view-able to the public so as not to disturb the animals in their retirements, but it's not forbidden - and Disney could be very creative, and come up with new, innovative ways to unobtrusively view. You could armchair imagineer the heck out of the possibilities (people-movers behind one-way glass, etc).

The reason it would be so perfect is that DAK already has the infrastructure to support the unique needs of these aging apes. They have state of the art medical facilities and experts already on staff. Quite a bit of legitimate work with primates is going on at AK already. The protocols developed by the staff with gorillas, for example, in positive reinforcement training. They developed methods to teach female gorillas to take care of their babies naturally so they don't have to be hand-raised by humans first, and has become part of recommended guidelines and protocol across the industry. They really could take the lead here, with so many chimpanzees eligible for release over the next few years, who will just be waiting for some place to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom