Rock (Dwayne Johnson) and WDI Partner on Jungle Cruise Updates

SuddenStorm

The Tiki Room was an opportunity for Walt to develop and demonstrate his audio animatronic technology. The problem is- its 50 years old.

At this point, I think it should stay around forever. It doesn't take up much space, and is classic Disney. A lot of the people that worked on it are integral to the early days of Disneyland. Altering the show content with newer stuff would almost be sacrilegious, since it'd require cutting out segments of an iconic show.

I like the idea of making it a restaurant. They could have the classic show play once an hour, then the rest of the time have the birds make comedic remarks at eachother, or the guests. This way- the original song and show is kept intact, while the overall experience is greatly improved and is modernized.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
At this point, I think it should stay around forever. It doesn't take up much space, and is classic Disney. A lot of the people that worked on it are integral to the early days of Disneyland. Altering the show content with newer stuff would almost be sacrilegious, since it'd require cutting out segments of an iconic show.

Bingo.

I like the idea of making it a restaurant. They could have the classic show play once an hour, then the rest of the time have the birds make comedic remarks at eachother, or the guests. This way- the original song and show is kept intact, while the overall experience is greatly improved and is modernized.

No bingo. Turning the Tiki Room into a glorified Rain Forest Café would be sad.

mickEblu

Bingo.

No bingo. Turning the Tiki Room into a glorified Rain Forest Café would be sad.

I dunno. I think if they kept most of the same elements and layout it could be cool. I wouldn't want to see it go for anything else though. Here's the thing, if the ball was in my court I wouldn't have the guts to pull the trigger on that with all the history there. Also thinking about this practically, I'm not sure I would want to give up being able to see the show on a whim (dole whip in hand) only to have to make a reservation two months in advance and pay $60 bucks a person to get my Tiki room fix.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I dunno. I think if they kept most of the same elements and layout it could be cool. I wouldn't want to see it go for anything else though. Here's the thing, if the ball was in my court I wouldn't have the guts to pull the trigger on that with all the history there. Also thinking about this practically, I'm not sure I would want to give up being able to see the show on a whim (dole whip in hand) only to have to make a reservation two months in advance and pay $60 bucks a person to get my Tiki room fix.

Agreed. It's a nice idea but not at the expense of the original in DL. If the one in WDW got the restaurant treatment that might be interesting. Way more room to play around with.

D

Deleted member 107043

Do you think could ever live someplace where going to Disney resort meant you had to board a plane or drive for at least 8 hours?

SuddenStorm

The negative response to any alterations to the Tiki Room would probably dwarf the response to Mission Breakout. I think as long as the operating costs are low (it doesn't require many people to operate either which is a huge plus for it), nothing serious goes wrong with the show, and people still go to escape the summer heat, we don't have to worry about it going away, or changing.

D

Deleted member 107043

Well that depends. Are we talking Hawaii or one of the fly over states?

Let's say Redding, CA. It's about an 8+ hour drive to LA/OC. I live in San Francisco and it's about 6 hours to Orange County from here if you can avoid traffic.

Just curious what your limits are for your Disneyland "addiction" since my situation is almost the opposite - I've never lived close enough to find an AP worthwhile or the convenience of dropping in on a whim repeatedly throughout the year. When I visit it's usually on vacation which means A) there are tactical decisions to make in order to maximize the schedule and make sure we're hitting all all the rides, shows, parades, restaurants, etc, that we want to experience, and B) it's expensive. It's not like I can just jump in the car, drive an hour or two for the day and come back next week or next month. For me it's more like years.

mickEblu

Let's say Redding, CA. It's about an 8+ hour drive to LA/OC. I live in San Francisco and it's about 6 hours to Orange County from here if you can avoid traffic.

Just curious what your limits are for your Disneyland "addiction" since my situation is almost the opposite - I've never lived close enough to find an AP worthwhile or the convenience of dropping in on a whim repeatedly throughout the year. When I visit it's usually on vacation which means A) there are tactical decisions to make in order to maximize the schedule and make sure we're hitting all all the rides, shows, parades, restaurants, etc, that we want to experience, and B) it's expensive. It's not like I can just jump in the car, drive an hour or two for the day and come back next week or next month. For me it's more like years.

Gotcha. Well I've lived in "LA" my entire life so it's hard for me to picture myself anywhere else. I'm currently renting and my priority in the near future (or whenever these real estate prices would like to come down) is to buy a nice home in a good area with good schools. If it happens to be near Disneyland that's great. If I woke up tomorrow and lived in Redding, I most likely would still have an AP and go to DLR 3-5 times a year as all my family is out here so I'm sure I'd be traveling to So Cal frequently.

I see what your getting at though. Something like spending $60 at the Enchanted Tiki Room restaurant wouldn't be a turn off for you because it's new and something you would only experience once every few years. For an AP it's more like "now I gotta pay $60 to hear the birds sing words and the flowers sing?" After the first time that would probably be a huge turn off for most APs. So I think @Kram Sacul is right and it probably makes much more sense at WDW, where most guests are vacationing.

I can see how non APs are getting the short end of the stick at DLR in some cases. For example, the new Matterhorn and Toy Story FPs. Great for me on my 6 -7 hour trip where I'm hitting 5-6 rides and can cherry pick my favorites. Not so great for some one vacationing who now has to plan even more because Matterhorn has a 120 standby line.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, the movie was almost out, but a series of delays, including the Coronavirus seems to have bought us time. Several years, in point of fact. Originally scheduled for October of 2019, then moved to July 2020, now set for 2021! But the People's Champ himself warned us all. We should smell what The Rock has been cooking for Disneyland's Jungle Cruise soon.

Sharon&Susan

Frank is always keeping his Rheye-noceros out for trouble!
RYEYE.jpg

TP2000

Well, the movie was almost out, but a series of delays, including the Coronavirus seems to have bought us time. Several years, in point of fact. Originally scheduled for October of 2019, then moved to July 2020, now set for 2021! But the People's Champ himself warned us all. We should smell what The Rock has been cooking for Disneyland's Jungle Cruise soon.

Oh, is that what happened to this movie? I honestly thought it had already come and gone last year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe the extra delay is because they want the movie to justify major changes to Jungle Cruise the ride that they have planned/budgeted for two years from now?

Oh, I forgot: Trigger warning!

Supreme Leader

I've already seen the movie. It's really not all that bad, there's not much in the ride that could change besides maybe adding characters names and other certain film related references.

Homemade Imagineering

I've already seen the movie. It's really not all that bad, there's not much in the ride that could change besides maybe adding characters names and other certain film related references.
Oh wow! Of course without spoiling anything, would you say it was as good or almost as good as POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom