The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You know, I was searching for discounts on the system we use in my job to find hotels.
And found out that you can get a Waldorf Astoria Luxury room with view for 192 USD per night. The cheapest you can get at Disney is 150 USD for World of Sports and All Star resorts.
Animal Kingdom was at 280 USD, even the Contemporary was a bit cheaper (220 USD per night)

I wish I could find a rate for the Contemporary for $220, the cheapest I've seen was around $380 but that was traveling in the summer.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That is pretty nice that the cage is attached too. I will have to look for those when I go to buy my plants, which might be tomorrow.

I've seen them lots of places, Walmarts have just been the cheapest I've seen and the week I saw them they were perfect plants. I usually buy only a couple because they have a good headstart for the short Midwest season. The rest of my Tomato plants have always been those little guys, couple inches tall. We eat lots and lots of tomatoes and I cook with them too so no way could I justify buying lots of these plants.

Dang I can't wait for fresh tomatoes again. :hungry:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've seen them lots of places, Walmarts have just been the cheapest I've seen and the week I saw them they were perfect plants. I usually buy only a couple because they have a good headstart for the short Midwest season. The rest of my Tomato plants have always been those little guys, couple inches tall. We eat lots and lots of tomatoes and I cook with them too so no way could I justify buying lots of these plants.

Dang I can't wait for fresh tomatoes again. :hungry:

Fresh tomatoes will be good!

Our farmers market opens this weekend, not that I think there will be tomatoes but it is encouraging that with all the junky weather we have had things are growing! Actually over the fall/winter a new covered pavilion was built for the farmers market so there is a big grand opening celebration too. @figmentfan423 when will your farmer's market journeys begin?

Gabe1

I need to find her. I'm a very newbie! I can watch from afar, with awe!;););)

Tuvalu is fun. You will get a kick out of her reports. Her adult DD is member TrolleyFollower91 on here and pops up on her Moms reports, an excellent photographer. She and my DD are the same age within a few weeks so I can relate to her views. Her hubby, Woody is a sweet guy that indulges his families Disney Addiction.
I'm a bit behind, this is the one I've been reading

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/heigh-ho-heigh-ho-its-back-to-the-world-we-go-completed.926120/

but she has been back since then and back home again and started this trip report this week

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/its-two-two-two-trips-in-one.927136/

by the time you finish these photo filled lovelies she will I believe be back at Disney again in June. The reports are fun rides.

Don't forget to click FOLLOW THREAD in upper right corner.

donaldtoo

It's a beautiful place to be. We used to do 10 or 11 mile hikes in one day. We saw a lot of beautiful plants, alpine flowers and lakes and streams and animals. We did a lot of camping and hiking, our daughter wanted to be a park ranger for the longest time. She went through the park ranger program when she was 8, and loved it. We have started out warm, but had to wear winter coats as we hiked higher and higher. We got into a bad hail storm and lightening storm, most everyday in July....that was our hiking time, at least a couple weeks. We once early on in hiking, pitched our tent next to a small stream during the day, by night we were taking down the tent and running back up to the car. We did everything we weren't supposed to do when we started out camping. We kept food in the tent, a big no-no. But that was over 35 years ago. The information wasn't available as it is now. I hope you get to come sometime, in the "summer", usually in July ....it's glorious in the mountains. Thanks for listening , I like to remember those times.

Yes, sounds similar to my backpacking days in the Rockies years ago. The landscapes, the flora and fauna, the exhilaration (probably lack of oxygen at high altitude ;))...!!!!! :joyfull:
And yes, I also remember those afternoon, like clockwork, t-storms...! :)
Also, I was always in charge of hanging our bear bag. A bear will go through a tent without any thoughts of any human inside...it's not about the humans, it's about the "food", and they will go through you like a ragdoll to get to it. We never kept anything food-wise in or near our tents...it always all went in the bear bag (that I hung with rope between two of the best trees I could find near camp). Including our tooth brushes...even though we all used an organic, liquid, odorless soap that you could do everything from shower to brush your teeth with. Just another one of those multipurpose items that made your backpack that much lighter. :)
We only ever had one bear bag successfully gotten into by a bear. None of us heard the bear during the night. We decided to make camp on a relatively flat portion of a mountain slope we finally found. I decided to hike up the slope above the campsite to find a decent place to hang the bag for the night. I just wasn't finding anything decent close to camp so I hung it between what I thought were the best 2 trees close enough to camp...and, to quote Star Wars... "I have a bad feeling about this." ;)
Sure enough, the next morning when I went to check on it, it was down and torn through...half our food was gone (fortunately, the bear left our toothbrushes, organic soap, etc....!!! :hilarious:).
We had a good chuckle about it, but, had to ration our food for the rest of that day. It was kinda' interesting that the bear didn't take it all, actually.
And, of course, I've posted before about when we were awakened by a bear trying to get our bag in the middle of the night at one place we camped...
That was the time I got ready in my pup tent so quickly that all I had on was my wool socks, hiking boots, and tighty whities when I exited the tent...!!! :hilarious:
I didn't even realize it 'til someone shined their flashlight on me, (we had a coed group :eek:) and there was a bunch of chuckling... :oops: :cyclops: :D
Whatever... :oops: ;)
We had to chase that bear away from our bag, and finally did...such crazy-good memories...!!!!! :joyfull: :happy: :hilarious: :)

Gabe1

I was once told that is due to too much watering. Not a horticulture expert, but, maybe check that out.

If you are a fellow tomato lover we'll turn you into a horticulture expert Sir!:happy:

Tomato plants march to a different drummer than lots of other veggies and plants and they are temperamental little boogers. Hybrids keep weeding out the 100s of diseases and watering issues of our lovely tomatoes.

For your reading pleasure tomatoes 101

http://www.veggiegardener.com/yellowing-leaves-on-tomatoes

Welcome to our little tomato family
Red%2BSlicer%2BTomato.jpg

Gabe1

Sounds like a bunch of you were super productive today especially with your gardening. I'm jealous I haven't bought my plants yet, but I might this Thursday.

Kapono and I took a walk today we had to cut it short as westarted to get rained on, and I stopped to smell my neighbors lilacs(hers smells better than mine) and I saw a butterfly feeding on the nectar. That was pretty cool I took a couple pictures to share.
View attachment 205443

View attachment 205444

View attachment 205445

And a picture of my lilac bush. It is the first time it has bloomed this much since I have loved here and it has been almost 12 years.
View attachment 205446

By the way I would have tried to get better pictures but a little schnauzer kept pulling her leash that was on my wrist. I guess she saw home and wanted to get there.:)

So pretty. I have not seen a butterfly yet come to think of it. :confused: My DD has a huge lilac bush like that outside of her apartment door. Just as pretty as yours right now in full bloom. I pass it and sneeze for a minute or two. Tis the season. :in pain:

Gabe1

Gabe1

It's going to be quite lovely in my neck of the woods. I wish I didn't have to get some plants taken care of and just go out walking and spend time out on my deck but they won't plant themselves:( I'm somewhat lucky in that my dh made me quite a few "earth boxes" to put my veggie plants into:joyfull: so at least once they're in they're low maintenance:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull: It really wasn't much of a choice it's either garden on my deck or put up a 10 foot fence.

I don't have much critter problems as I have the fence but I put newspaper down ontop of the turned dirt, on top of that put a good layer of pinebark.
I did holes only large enough for the plants to go in. Keeps the weeds out and moisture in. The newspaper is clean as ink no longer leaches, it lets water through but doesn't evaporate beneath. The bark actually keeps the soil warmer as it gets cooler in the fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom