Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Generations of kids learned about math in a fun way via a cartoon starring a zany duck with anger management issues. I fail to see how this would be radically different.

An anthropomorphic duck with a speech impediment can be molded to do anything because it's a cartoon character. Cartoon characters are (or should be) malleable for any situation. And even they sometimes need assistance in the form of a narrator vo, acting as the straight man to their comical wackiness so that the cartoon entity can act out what is required to teach mathematics, how to exercise, or whatever. I see merit in using the cartoon brands in this way and I'm all for edutainment. But this is about edutainment in the parks and how GotG fit in Epcot, specifically Mission:Space. I just don't see how that would work.

Guardians of the Galaxy, the IP is not as malleable. Those characters all have predefined traits and story arcs. As a "unit" they are even more limited in how they can be used. Unless their edutainment comes from teaching us how to build a bomb, say "I AM GROOT" or learn a wicked dance move; they're value in Epcot is pretty much useless without radical alteration.

Imagineering can (and should) still use GotG in a ride. For M:S specifically; those characters would be awkwardly shoehorned to fit or their visage would be used in a such a limited capacity it would render the overlay pointless. If they're going to use an IP; especially for edutainment -- it should be full-tilt or not at all. They have to be selective and smart. Slapping Star-lord in M:S just because he's a pilot of a spacecraft is a weak use of the IP.

Edutainment is a park trait, a pillar of Epcot they should strive to keep. But the GoTG IP isn't a great choice for providing education to parkgoers. They lack value or expertise they could bring to M:S. If imagineering must add GoTG as an overlay; I'd rather it be in Hollywood Studios on "Rock'n RollerCoaster". Atleast on RnRC the IP's unique brand of chaos and music better fits that type of ride.

But who knows, maybe Mission:Space will get GoTG. Edutainment appears to be disappearing from the park anyway. If they remove that core pillar from Epcot they might as well slap Guardians of the Galaxy in there. Or even Stitch for that matter.

Last edited:

jt04

It's really not worth it.. JT used to be so wrong it was entertaining,Now it's just annoying.

I see in this post the same fear I noticed from many before Pandora and Star Wars Land were announced.

The mouse was challenged to a race and accepted. Then he blurted out readysetgo and took off in a sprint. Uni hasn't figured that out and is standing at the starting line wondering what to do as Mickey races towards the horizon.

KikoKea

Toy Story Land is goingf to be super lame with only a spinner and family coaster, Star Wars Land will have two attractions... They really need several more things to flesh out that park. A Toontown Expansion would have been great rather than the oh-so-tired Toy Story thing...
I hate to make judgements without a land even being built, but....I have to say I am very disappointed in what they are doing with both areas. Toy Story- not excited at all. I'll wander in to ride the coaster in hopes it is a nice thrill, and if the lines to TSM are under 30 minutes, we might duck in there for a go round. Otherwise, I just hope TSL will suck a bit of the crowds away from the RNRRC.
And, Star Wars Land...two new rides is pitiful. Really, such a wasted opportunity for what is one of the world's most popular IPs of all time. I know it is suppose to be awesome in looks, like Pandora, but one can only stand (because there won't be benches) and marvel for so long at the sights without wishing for a good thrill ride.

peter11435

I hate to make judgements without a land even being built, but....I have to say I am very disappointed in what they are doing with both areas. Toy Story- not excited at all. I'll wander in to ride the coaster in hopes it is a nice thrill, and if the lines to TSM are under 30 minutes, we might duck in there for a go round. Otherwise, I just hope TSL will suck a bit of the crowds away from the RNRRC.
And, Star Wars Land...two new rides is pitiful. Really, such a wasted opportunity for what is one of the world's most popular IPs of all time. I know it is suppose to be awesome in looks, like Pandora, but one can only stand (because there won't be benches) and marvel for so long at the sights without wishing for a good thrill ride.
Attractions don't have to be thrill rides to be good.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

While I'm almost certain Toy Story Land won't live up to my expectations I'm sure it will still be enjoyable. I just wonder if fatigue, the old "this again" won't set in by the time the land opens. I haven't been following development, are any E's or D's planned for this land? Do we really need more Toy Story!? I did hear about scaling back... the value engineering. We can see what that did to Pandora. It's good but not great! But then again not all rides need to be mega super thrills.

Star Wars land is the more intriguing land and has a larger fanbase so I'm still hopeful this one will be a big hit with quality rides. It looks like it will be. The jab about a lack of benches: Boy oh boy do I agree with you there. What's up with that? Seems the only place to sit down anymore is in a restaurant.

ToTBellHop

Edutainment belongs in a museum.
IMG_3365.JPG
So do you!

Goob

Well, you can't spend money sitting down, unless you're in a restaurant.

It's absolutely insane that there is a 99% chance that this is the reason we have no benches.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I see in this post the same fear I noticed from many before Pandora and Star Wars Land were announced.

The mouse was challenged to a race and accepted. Then he blurted out readysetgo and took off in a sprint. Uni hasn't figured that out and is standing at the starting line wondering what to do as Mickey races towards the horizon.
When did you last actually visit one of the parks again?

Lucky Rabbit

From what the insiders on the web are mumbling, it sounds like Disney is mulling its options regarding how to make a big Marvel impact at the parks. Here's my guess: Someone somewhere said all wheels should stop until they saw how Guardians 2 performed. If it's a solid hit, then Disney may proceed with making a solid GotG E-ticket at WDW, probably replacing Energy.

If, however, the new film is a huge, record-breaking, "biggest hit of the year" type of success, Disney may deem Guardians to be strong enough to serve as the de facto Marvel brand for Florida. A brand that could support a larger, SWL-land scale investment (perhaps replacing the SW Launch Bay area at the DHS) within which could have Marvel merchandising, restaurants and perhaps even attractions that dance along the gray fringes of what's legally permitted due to the Universal contract.

I'm sure Marketing would love to sell "The Marvel Experience" or something like that as a follow up to Star Wars at the DHS, but they legally can't do that. But they'd prefer not to sell "SuperHero City (with cameos from legal gray areas characters)" if there's an opportunity to sell "The Guardians of the Galaxy Experience (with cameos from legal gray area characters)".

Where would this leave Universe of Energy? Dunno. Put the Tron coaster there and de-tron-ify Test Track so that it can be Cars-i-fied? I really don't know.
If they wanted to do a Guardians-land my guess is at Hollywood Studios. It's a movie franchise that will have its own trilogy and important roles in Avenger movies. So it's a brand that should have long term staying power. If you're going to put it in Hollywood Studios, I think that's the end for Tower of Terror.

You can easily do Guardians overlays on Tower of Terror (unless Mission: Breakout bombs), and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Add an original ride or two with a meet and greet and I'm sure it prove really popular.

Bocabear

If they wanted to do a Guardians-land my guess is at Hollywood Studios. It's a movie franchise that will have its own trilogy and important roles in Avenger movies. So it's a brand that should have long term staying power. If you're going to put it in Hollywood Studios, I think that's the end for Tower of Terror.

You can easily do Guardians overlays on Tower of Terror (unless Mission: Breakout bombs), and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster. Add an original ride or two with a meet and greet and I'm sure it prove really popular.
OR... they could more easily re-theme Star Tours to Guardians after Star Wars Land opens, then expand the Guardians presence in that area...there is a lot of space there for expansion with the Indiana Jones show and the backlot canteen..., Leave Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset as originally intended...Old Hollywood.

montyz81

With the current WDC administration's cautious approach, I suspect that a review of these two land's success will determine future expansion. They start small and if it is successful, they could add to it. I think if you look at Epcot as a whole, you will see that adding an IP to Norway has been deemed successful. That success, at least in part, is contributing to the inclusion of more IP into the park. My point in saying this is that there is always a chance that each of these could just be a phase 1. I will go on record as saying SWL will increase in size over the coming use as I expect it will be very successful. (Theoretically, you could consider TSL a phase 2 of TSMWM because of the success of that first ride)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom