What Would You Have Done?

LJF

The other day I was getting on Space Mtn with my little boy and we were going through the FP line and there was this guy in front of us that got around that first little corner heading down the ramp from the entrance who turned around and started motioning to this girl in the standby line up above. So he stopped and told us and another lady and her little girl to go around him so we did. Then when we got up to the other FP end of the line where you scan them again I notice him telling this dude to hurry up in a really sneaky tone. Then I hear him telling his friends that the CM's don't give a bleep and I realized what they were doing was jumping from the standby line to the FP line and then sneaking past the Mickey posts when the CM was distracted so they could skip everybody.

Well then the guy starts dropping F bombs with his group of like 3 to 5 college friends and he was obviously the sort of "ring leader" of these morons. So then a CM starts walking down the line looking for a single rider and the guy starts acting like he's gonna push one of his buddies over the rail and obnoxiously starts declaring "HE'S A SINGLE RIDER! HE'S A SINGLE RIDER!" because apparently the guy didn't have a girlfriend. Clever. Right? So then I get whiff and realize that these people are obviously under the influence of alcohol and there was one of those personal tour guide CM's right ahead of us and when I went to board I told her there were some drunk morons behind us and pointed them out to her and she told the CM in charge of boarding and they pulled them aside. I also told her I thought they were skipping as well.

So we ride and get off and the escalator up was screwed up and I was irritated because I figured when they got off my 6 year old was about to be treated to another chorus of F bombs from this John Belushi wannabe and I saw a manager CM and asked for an alternate exit because I didn't want my kid subjected to that again and she said the escalator was about to start running again but she was literally on her way to investigate this situation because other people had complained. I'm just curious if you guys would have also or have also told a CM about this kind of thing before and do you think they got kicked out of the park? I saw the CM that pulled them aside when we rode it later and he said he knew they got investigated but didn't know if they got kicked.
If someone didnt mind spending the day in Disney lockup a quick throat punch is very effective quieting an obnoxious loudmouth. But in reality I tell my young daughters that classless trash talk like that.

thomas998

I seriously don't understand these people that go to Disney and act like they don't want to be there because they say something else is far better, but what really confuses me is they make a show about it constantly. I am starting to wonder if these people just put on a show because they don't want to admit the fact that they might have been initially wrong about the place...

But my gawd, I seriously want to look these people in the face and say, "If you don't want to be here, you don't have to be here. Stop complaining about it."
(But I am not that brave)
I think that in many cases it is because they don't want to be there. You'll notice that every year you see threads where someone usually a woman will be asking how to convince her boyfriend or husband to go to Disney because she is so sure he will just love it when he actually experiences it.

Well the reality is usually not going to be someone falling in love with Disney, more often than not you're going to end up with guys acting like the ones described in these posts because they were in their eyes forced to go and didn't want to. It would be nice if people wouldn't coerce others into going to Disney when the person doesn't want to in the first place because odds are your just going to get someone there that will not be enjoying it and will make it a bad experience for everyone around them.

thomas998

Unfortunately guest behavior in the parks has gotten worse over the years. Swearing, rude behavior, intoxication is prevalent even when in close proximity to young children. I always vocalize my displeasure to the nearest CM and most if the time I've seen action taken by the CM removing the guest from the ride. Its unknown if they are kicked out but at least they are no longer affecting my enjoyment. I've paid my ticket in to have an enjoyable time with my family and just because they bought a ticket, they don't have the right to act unruly. Bad behavior doesn't belong at Disney and if more guests spoke up these incidents would lessen.
Don't hold your breath. Disney is in business to make money and as society in general takes a more relaxed approach to what words are spoken in public Disney will go along with it. The first indication that they aren't about trying to keep it a kid friendly park happened when Disney started their 'food and wine' festival, where I've yet to every be there an not see several drunks that would have been arrested for public intoxication if they were walking the streets in a city.... Why? Because Disney realized they could make money off booze... it isn't kid friendly and certainly goes against the way the parks were run in the beginning but the fact is times change and Disney changes with those times.

You might think that in response to their allowing language and behavior you find offensive that you will just stop going as will others... but the reality is many people don't care and will still go and in the end they will make more money allowing the language and behavior than they will if they tried to stop it all. I seriously doubt any of the people using language were thrown out of the park as I have never seen them throw anyone out for clear violation of the park rules such as line jumping which I find much more annoying than language. In fact people should call out line jumpers and see what happens... I doubt you'll get the response you might expect. I know I stopped people from jumping past me on a ride once only to have her make a big scene about wanting to join her friends... I outright refused and blocker her from getting past and the only thing that happened was eventually 6 or 7 other people that didn't even know here started trying to tell me to just let her through because it wasn't a big deal.... When that many people think line jumping is no big deal you're going nowhere with trying to go after language.

Walt Disney1955

If I am at a movie theatre I've thrown candy at people in the past who are talking too loud and are unwilling to stop. If I run out of candy there is always ice cubes in my drink. Usually a clunk with one of them in the back of the head sends a message. True story, although I did it more when I was younger. So yeah, I'm brave enough to stand up to a group like that. Now, am I with my kids when this happens? If so, maybe not unless someone is going to get hurt because you always have to watch what you do with the little ones around but the thing I find with people like this is that they are "bold" because people rarely confront them and they don't know how to handle it when someone does. I'm 6'2" 275lbs. as well, so that helps.

KBLovedDisney

I think that in many cases it is because they don't want to be there. You'll notice that every year you see threads where someone usually a woman will be asking how to convince her boyfriend or husband to go to Disney because she is so sure he will just love it when he actually experiences it.

Well the reality is usually not going to be someone falling in love with Disney, more often than not you're going to end up with guys acting like the ones described in these posts because they were in their eyes forced to go and didn't want to. It would be nice if people wouldn't coerce others into going to Disney when the person doesn't want to in the first place because odds are your just going to get someone there that will not be enjoying it and will make it a bad experience for everyone around them.
Ah, makes sense and I possibly see those kind of reactions all the time throughout the parks without realizing it, and not just the adults but I see kids who want to leave too.

KBLovedDisney

If I am at a movie theatre I've thrown candy at people in the past who are talking too loud and are unwilling to stop. If I run out of candy there is always ice cubes in my drink. Usually a clunk with one of them in the back of the head sends a message. True story, although I did it more when I was younger.
Ha, funny story. There was a guy in the news suing his date over texting during a theater showing of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I hope he won.

thomas998

If I am at a movie theatre I've thrown candy at people in the past who are talking too loud and are unwilling to stop. If I run out of candy there is always ice cubes in my drink. Usually a clunk with one of them in the back of the head sends a message. True story, although I did it more when I was younger. So yeah, I'm brave enough to stand up to a group like that. Now, am I with my kids when this happens? If so, maybe not unless someone is going to get hurt because you always have to watch what you do with the little ones around but the thing I find with people like this is that they are "bold" because people rarely confront them and they don't know how to handle it when someone does. I'm 6'2" 275lbs. as well, so that helps.
Not sure I would recommend that where I live.... doesn't matter if your 7'2" if the person your throwing ice at pulls out a gun. Might get away with that if you live in gun free countries, but not a good idea in Southern states like Texas where guns are more likely to be carried than not.

correcaminos

Not sure I would recommend that where I live.... doesn't matter if your 7'2" if the person your throwing ice at pulls out a gun. Might get away with that if you live in gun free countries, but not a good idea in Southern states like Texas where guns are more likely to be carried than not.
Well that's an absolutely unpleasant thought - let's shoot someone because they annoy you :eek:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Trust me, I would have said something to them, told them I was going to contact a CM and then do so. My daughter usually doesn't approve of my saying something, but we need to stop accepting bad, foul and nasty behavior from other guests. I understand people are tired or having a bad day, but nothing excuses threatening CMs, other guests, or the thing that makes me see red, YOUR KIDS.

thomas998

Well that's an absolutely unpleasant thought - let's shoot someone because they annoy you :eek:
They wouldn't shout you because you annoyed them they would shoot you because you threw something at them. Different areas of the US have different ways of behaving.... just like you can see someone in say New York City say something about a guys mother and it gets laughed off whereas doing it in a Southern state is very likely to end in a fight. Maybe in some places throwing ice at someone is considered nothing but an annoyance but in other places you will get the same response as if you spit on the person. The best option in a theater with someone that wont shut up is to inform management and have them deal with it, not throw things.

Patcheslee

Bedford Indiana this past month: guy didn't pull up at the drive thru quick enough, someone behind him honked their horn. Guy that didn't pull up got out of car and confronted person in car behind. Person in car behind denied honking their horn. Guy goes to next car and punches driver. Guy who got punched went to get out of vehicle... man who got honked at pulled a gun and shot the man who got punched. Result: innocent man dead, guy in jail for throwing a hissy fit over being honked at.

correcaminos

Bedford Indiana this past month: guy didn't pull up at the drive thru quick enough, someone behind him honked their horn. Guy that didn't pull up got out of car and confronted person in car behind. Person in car behind denied honking their horn. Guy goes to next car and punches driver. Guy who got punched went to get out of vehicle... man who got honked at pulled a gun and shot the man who got punched. Result: innocent man dead, guy in jail for throwing a hissy fit over being honked at.
Disgusting. Seriously sad to hear that :(

They wouldn't shout you because you annoyed them they would shoot you because you threw something at them. Different areas of the US have different ways of behaving.... just like you can see someone in say New York City say something about a guys mother and it gets laughed off whereas doing it in a Southern state is very likely to end in a fight. Maybe in some places throwing ice at someone is considered nothing but an annoyance but in other places you will get the same response as if you spit on the person. The best option in a theater with someone that wont shut up is to inform management and have them deal with it, not throw things.
It doesn't matter, that's seriously a horrible thought and a horrible way to live your life. Fighting and killing over really an annoyance to maybe just maybe a small injury? Sorry not something I think will ever be okay. Don't care where you live. Though I agree, someone annoys you, go get management, but retaliation is not cool.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon occurrence anymore.

Early this morning, a principal at one of our local high schools had to send out a message to all parents saying the school had received an anonymous threat on social media. Additional law enforcement was sent to the school. Students would not be penalized if they missed classes today - pictures in the local media showed near empty classrooms. And why? Because the principal had to ask students to stop flying certain flags on their trucks, since it was causing problems at the school. So some student's/parent's response was to threaten the school. The paper never mentioned what the threat was...one can only imagine.....

This is the word we now live in.

KraftServices

WOW! I didn't know about that but honestly I would be lying if I said I felt sympathy for that dude. LOL! I saw a man and woman get suuuuuper mad at a CM on POTC the other day. The CM told them to get in with another party of 3 to have 5 in the row. Well they didn't want to and they were from Russia judging by their accents and were trying to say that there was water in the seat and they didn't want to sit in it. So the CM actually holds up the line and leaves the little ride operating thingy and walks directly down there and tells the guy in the boat to make room for them and he says "I did and they wouldn't get in!" So she then tells the people to get in and sit down and the Russian dude got mad and said to his wife about the guy that he felt just sorta ratted on them in the most Russian 80's villain accent that you can imagine "I will choke that man out". Now I know that's a terrible thing to say but man with his accent and the way he said it with literally zero emotion we literally started cracking up. He seriously sounded like one of those computer voices that tell you the news but with zero inflection in their voice. LOL!

CM should've just said "well you can stand here and wait for a dry boat to show up." If my memory serves me, there's never dry seats on that ride! (I mean maybe sometimes the middle seat is dry?)

KBLovedDisney

I love having fun with drunk people at Disney. You get to mess with them and they wont do nothing about it because you know, they're drunk. One time one of them bought me a caramel candy apple (Didn't even like candy apples so I immediately chucked in the trash). But if one or maybe a group of people under alcohol were being exceptionally rowdy, I'd just pay no attention to them and pop in my ear buds and listen to some sweet Pink Floyd. Of course if i had a kid with me, i would do the same thing and just ignore them also.
Not Disney related, but one time a happy drunk fellow bought our dinner at a fast food place just because we were nice to him and let him vent to us about his life and goings on. Strange, yes but rather nice. When alcohol hits my system, I immediately get sleepy and want to nap.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Not saying that this is the approach Disney should take, but Six Flags lets guests text in their comments/concerns for a lot of issues. In the ride lines, they have a special number you can text if you see line jumping or other unruly behaviors and in the restrooms they have a special number you can text if you believe the conditions are not exactly clean enough. Not sure how good/fast the response rate to something like this is, and having such signs around a Disney park would kind of interfere with the "magic", but it's a nice option for people who don't feel comfortable confronting the situation directly and/or who cannot immediately find a cast member/employee... maybe something they could add to the MDE app in the future...

Jedi Stitch

The other day I was getting on Space Mtn with my little boy and we were going through the FP line and there was this guy in front of us that got around that first little corner heading down the ramp from the entrance who turned around and started motioning to this girl in the standby line up above. So he stopped and told us and another lady and her little girl to go around him so we did. Then when we got up to the other FP end of the line where you scan them again I notice him telling this dude to hurry up in a really sneaky tone. Then I hear him telling his friends that the CM's don't give a bleep and I realized what they were doing was jumping from the standby line to the FP line and then sneaking past the Mickey posts when the CM was distracted so they could skip everybody.

Well then the guy starts dropping F bombs with his group of like 3 to 5 college friends and he was obviously the sort of "ring leader" of these morons. So then a CM starts walking down the line looking for a single rider and the guy starts acting like he's gonna push one of his buddies over the rail and obnoxiously starts declaring "HE'S A SINGLE RIDER! HE'S A SINGLE RIDER!" because apparently the guy didn't have a girlfriend. Clever. Right? So then I get whiff and realize that these people are obviously under the influence of alcohol and there was one of those personal tour guide CM's right ahead of us and when I went to board I told her there were some drunk morons behind us and pointed them out to her and she told the CM in charge of boarding and they pulled them aside. I also told her I thought they were skipping as well.

So we ride and get off and the escalator up was screwed up and I was irritated because I figured when they got off my 6 year old was about to be treated to another chorus of F bombs from this John Belushi wannabe and I saw a manager CM and asked for an alternate exit because I didn't want my kid subjected to that again and she said the escalator was about to start running again but she was literally on her way to investigate this situation because other people had complained. I'm just curious if you guys would have also or have also told a CM about this kind of thing before and do you think they got kicked out of the park? I saw the CM that pulled them aside when we rode it later and he said he knew they got investigated but didn't know if they got kicked.

My wife and I when we first were dating went to DLR. My wife is less patent than me when it comes to rude behavior, But then she was brought up roper, while I was an OD Green GI, so the F-bomb was a conjunction to me. We were waiting in the line for the Monorail to hit the hotel to beat the afternoon heat. These 3 boys 13ish I guess, were ahead of us. One kept "accidentally" elbowing her in the breast, Weird cop a feel i guess. She goes off on the kid pretty mush putting the perv in his place. After riding the monorail back to the Hotel and getting a nice air conditioned meal, we went to get back on the monorail to go back to DLR. Next thing we know this CM pulls us aside and we are "talked" to about cussing at the children. Luckily this older couple who witness what had happened was also heading back to the park, spoke up when they over heard this conversation the CM was having with us. They even went as far as to say that the boy technically sexually assaulted my wife. We ended up giving our names and contact info for the CM. We told him that we plan to go back and enjoy the rest of the day, as did the older couple. If they needed to pursue this issue further with us, they could contact us. We were never contacted.

I guess the moral of the story is, some times it is worth to speak up, and make sure CM is there to take care of the matter first hand. I think in our case someone said something but thought we were the provocateurs.

Some times the f-bomber needs to just be reminded to be polite in polite world. We were at EPCOT just sitting in an empty table in the land pavilion and the guy next to us was on his phone F-bombing away. By his haircut, stance, demneior, I could tell he was military. I just got his attention, still wherein my Iraq War Veteran hat, reminded him he wasn't in the Sandbox anymore and my daughter doesn't need a lesion in GI talk. He said sorry, and conversed loudly, but held back 90 percent of his swearing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom