Serial Stroller Thief Caught!

tribbleorlfl

I've been out of the stroller market for more than a few years now, but color me unimpressed by the Bugaboo. I was expecting something far less utilitarian looking for a 2 grand lifestyle statement.

Perhaps the thief was doing her a favor. ;)
These super-expensive designer strollers weren't a thing for my first, but when my daughter came along and we were in the market for a stroller, I tried one out at the store. My wife and I are both college-educated yet couldn't figure out how to fold and unfold these things. Compare that with the $100 Target special we ended up with that I can open and close with one hand.

Like many luxury products, people tend to spend the money more for the name and exclusivity rather than some intrinsic level of quality.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Who cares about the value of it, sounds like she didn't own it, but it was a rental as the thief had to remove the zip-tied naming tag (which many of the local rental places use). The issue is the need for properly situated, out of the way, convenient to access, secure stroller areas. Like on the way to the Safari - you dump your stroller with a CM half way up in line. I'm fine with a "coat check system" where accessing your stroller is not that easy so it may force parents to not so easily be inclined to scoot little Timmy and Princess Anna from ride to ride. And I have kids that are stroller-age, and I agree that this should be the moment where Disney and other venues figure out a better system.

Magic band and airline luggage ticket printer, Scan MB, Ticket printed and applied to stroller, Scan MB and you get your stroller back

Cesar R M

We need to create a boot for strollers .. Disney can rent them for $10 per day.
I would not be surprised if they start selling/renting locks like that. Or stroller parking slots like those for bikes, but for strollers.

Even better.. Magicbands locks/trackers tied to a your own magickband.
So to get out, they scan the stroller sensor in and out and link it with your magickband.

Cesar R M

I believe this is the royal carriage in question. There better be dual widescreen TV's, heating and A/C systems, a fridge, an automatic diaper changer under those hoods, and the entire thing able to shield from a nuclear blast, for $1800.

bugaboo-2017-donkey-duo-stroller-all-black-2.jpg
Dont forget the dual chainguns and titanium armor for pushing away those peasants who stand between you and your precious's fastpass.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney isn't going to do anything. It's sad, but WDW used to be the ultimate "safe zone" - You never had to worry about your stuff, your kids, etc. That bubble burst a while ago, but in case people didn't realize it, this incident should be the nail-gun that pops that balloon. Criminals won't think twice about robbing you while waiting in line. I imagine the ROI on an AP for a thief is pretty good these days... :mad:

When we used them, we'd never leave valuables in our stroller. And we never spent more than a few hundred on a stroller (with 2, then 3, and then 4 kids, they kinda had to last a while!), so we always bought quality stuff. Then again, we bought a Target stroller on clearance for $20 back in 2002, and it made something like 5 or 6 trips to WDW (along with it's initial 2 week WDW/Disney Cruise/Daytona 500/WDW trip). Best $20 spent EVER!

njDizFan

It proves the purchaser has more money than brains for one, these are frequently seen along with Coach or similar handbags.
Absolutely in my area the mom's at the park have serious stroller insecurity. They would not dare roll up with a Graaco or something so pedestrian. It's an accessory like the $1000 yoga outfit and MK bag. The baby may even be engineered.

Jedi Stitch

$1800 for a stroller, It should have came with a LoJacker. Almost need to request a "Stroller" MB. I guess I can count myself lucky that we didn't go to WDW when our princess was at a stroller age.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All a joke.....

Battery, horn, and yet another annoying remote. Then? We can have strollers that start to honk their horns JUST like all the newer cars.
And just like all the newer cars? Everyone will totally ignore the horn honking :).

Tom Morrow

I don't think Disney should, or should have to, do anything in response to this, other than maybe put up signs in stroller parking areas that say "do not leave valuables in stroller", which should be common sense.

If you talk to cast members, stroller theft isn't actually super common and 9 times out of 10, the person walked off with the wrong stroller because people tend to have the same models.

If you feel you have to have an SUV-sized stroller full of supplies, food, and entertainment for your child, then perhaps it is too soon for WDW.

Lets Respect

I never used a stroller at WDW because I waited until all my kids were 4 years old to go, but I feel like a stroller check system would be more trouble than it's worth?

Unplugged

Absolutely in my area the mom's at the park have serious stroller insecurity. They would not dare roll up with a Graaco or something so pedestrian. It's an accessory like the $1000 yoga outfit and MK bag. The baby may even be engineered.
Knowing what they say about guys with high end sports cars....now you make me curious what they say about the Mom's with these strollers, and are these women still comment about the guys with the sports cars as they don't realize the parallels?

We'll just be friendly here and call it "Stroller envy". :D

Pirate665

This is a problem not just with the designer strollers too. We have a medical stroller that is in the thousands and I've caught several would-be thieves trying to pinch it. We now have a GPS locator on it just in case.

Animaniac93-98

"designer purses and diaper bags"

I initially misread this as "designer diaper bags" and thought that was funny, but maybe those are a real thing too?

Phil12

I always worry about our stroller "taking off" on us. We never leave anything in the stroller, but we also make sure our name is clearly marked in permanent marker in many visible areas. We hope this deter a thief.
It will sure help the thief with ID theft.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Uppababy is the floor of what you need to keep up with the Joneses around here. Bunch of morons.
"designer purses and diaper bags"

I initially misread this as "designer diaper bags" and thought that was funny, but maybe those are a real thing too?

Sure are!
No pity at all for these "victims." By the way.

MissM

To be honest, I'm surprised it's taken this long to happen. I have long seen row upon row of stroller in the park, FILLED with bags and shopping bags and all sorts of things. No one is checking and if you just walk up like it's yours, even if you're rooting around, it would just appear like you're searching for something. I never understand people who just leave wallets or cameras and such out like that. I know it's Disney but jeez...that doesn't mean people aren't going to take advantage when given opportunity.

DisneyDaver

What gets me about these strollers are the 8 year olds that these moms push around all day. Then they use them as steamrollers.

It doesn't affect me in any way, but good lord, if your child is of age to be in grade school, make them walk. Quit coddling.

What 8 year old would want to be in a stroller? I can't even get my 2 year old to go in the stroller. Yes, it takes us forever to walk anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom