Serial Stroller Thief Caught!

Goofyernmost

Ah, the old value judgment threads. Can't get enough of these and everyone's expert commentary.
I suppose that is true, since everything we do in life requires some form of judgment. Yet, it becomes a problem if we comment in a judgmental way. If I look at a block of ice and make the judgment that it is cold am I being just judgemental or am I stating obvious things and are fact and not opinion alone.

You, for example, have made the judgment that all of us are not justified in expressing how we see the situation, but, I guess that is OK, since it is your judgment and not ours. Oh, well... it is hard to please everyone.

Cmdr_Crimson

You know sooner or later Disney will say you have to pay for parking your Stroller and if you want quick access to it a few dollars more...

Patcheslee

Who would bring such a stroller? I mean, I understand from going by the lots of parked strollers that yes, everyone has the same stroller. They all look alike.

They should have an MDE Stroller valet. You go to a designated area for stroller parking, give it to the CM, they give you a ticket (scannable to your MB/MDE). They place the sticker bar code on the stroller and park it. You have to prove via MB or stub that the stroller is yours upon pickup. They could also do this when you check-in at your resort. Some sort of barcode sticker on every stroller is probably the only way to do it. You would also have to scan the stroller when leaving the parks, ie to make sure it's yours. It'd be an extra PITA, but knowing you're leaving with your stroller is a good piece of mind.
Better patent that quickly

Unplugged

It would be easy to sell MagicBand pucks to associate to with your account/band/family? My thought is to use old magic bands as tracking devices in the park. Using small screw type clamps that hold the MagicBand puck from within, they can be attached to strollers quickly & easily with an Allen wrench. I'm sure Disney is already using similar technology to the ride photos, that is taking photos at the exit and associating the RFID with them. Seems easy enough to approximate location within the parks as well as identify at the exits & attractions.

If required, CMs monitoring stroller zones can scan the stroller ID and scan your ID to verify ownership. No big deal.

Lets Respect

What gets me about these strollers are the 8 year olds that these moms push around all day. Then they use them as steamrollers.

It doesn't affect me in any way, but good lord, if your child is of age to be in grade school, make them walk. Quit coddling.

People complain about ECVs but I think the strollers can be way worse. We got in a pretty serious incident due to a stroller crash at Disney. It was a dad pushing the stroller like a battering ram

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
People complain about ECVs but I think the strollers can be way worse. We got in a pretty serious incident due to a stroller crash at Disney. It was a dad pushing the stroller like a battering ram

We were part of an incident with a huge doublewide where mommy bowled over a frail old man on an ECV and clipped my wife's ankle hard enough to make her fall. This woman NEVER stopped but we were too busy tending to the old man (DW & I both have certifications) till EMT's arrived and took charge old man went out on a stretcher DW just had bad bruise.

I hope the OCSD got her.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We were part of an incident with a huge doublewide where mommy bowled over a frail old man on an ECV and clipped my wife's ankle hard enough to make her fall. This woman NEVER stopped but we were too busy tending to the old man (DW & I both have certifications) till EMT's arrived and took charge old man went out on a stretcher DW just had bad bruise.

I hope the OCSD got her.
Do people just seek you out or something?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do people just seek you out or something?

As to the old man not part of our party never knew his name, just trying to prevent further injury until the professionals arrived, DMIL also helped as she's (retired) but a ARNP and nursing executive who keeps her license current.

As to your question I think its the universe telling me I should avoid visiting WDW and recently I've been taking that advice as the 'memorable' bad experiences seem to happen to me there as opposed to the everyday 'oh carp' moments.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

I believe this is the royal carriage in question. There better be dual widescreen TV's, heating and A/C systems, a fridge, an automatic diaper changer under those hoods, and the entire thing able to shield from a nuclear blast, for $1800.

bugaboo-2017-donkey-duo-stroller-all-black-2.jpg

What makes this stroller so expensive compared to other strollers? It looks no different to me. Is it a brand-name kind of issue?

Pixie VaVoom

Sure leaving those valuables in the stroller was the biggest issue, but I still think purchasing an $1800 stroller is stupid too. I could afford it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

That said it doesn't excuse what this women did and I'm sorry this family had to go through that.

Hey - if you can afford an $1800 stroller...do you wanna adopt ME ?? I clean up kinda cute (ha ha)

mousehockey37

It would be easy to sell MagicBand pucks to associate to with your account/band/family? My thought is to use old magic bands as tracking devices in the park. Using small screw type clamps that hold the MagicBand puck from within, they can be attached to strollers quickly & easily with an Allen wrench. I'm sure Disney is already using similar technology to the ride photos, that is taking photos at the exit and associating the RFID with them. Seems easy enough to approximate location within the parks as well as identify at the exits & attractions.

If required, CMs monitoring stroller zones can scan the stroller ID and scan your ID to verify ownership. No big deal.

Yeah, I said something similar to this back a few posts. :p Heck, the post right before yours, someone actually quoted my idea, lol, saying I'd better get a patent quick!

MrHappy

Who cares about the value of it, sounds like she didn't own it, but it was a rental as the thief had to remove the zip-tied naming tag (which many of the local rental places use). The issue is the need for properly situated, out of the way, convenient to access, secure stroller areas. Like on the way to the Safari - you dump your stroller with a CM half way up in line. I'm fine with a "coat check system" where accessing your stroller is not that easy so it may force parents to not so easily be inclined to scoot little Timmy and Princess Anna from ride to ride. And I have kids that are stroller-age, and I agree that this should be the moment where Disney and other venues figure out a better system.

mousehockey37

As I said earlier in the thread. The people with strollers make life interesting at the bus stops. They think that they're gonna be clever and get the driver to let them on with the stroller unfolded when mom is holding junior and there's "too much stuff" in the stroller to fold it up. It's a nuisance, but makes for a good time watching them have to rearrange everything or figure out how to grow another couple sets of arms.

jaques21

"Disney and other theme parks must begin looking at how they secure and monitor areas where strollers are left unattended."

So what's the solution? Stroller lockers? Stroller security?

Maybe it's not the best idea to leave your wallet or car keys in the stroller.

Yes, never leave those valuables behind, your just asking for it! What is sad is I see a lot of people leave phones, bags, cameras etc. on strollers. Oh well I'm glad they caught the thief though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom