An Update on The Amazing Race / A (Temporary) Sign Off

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hi everyone. As you may or may not have noticed, since I pulled out of the most recent season of So You Want To Be An Imagineer I've been pretty much nonexistent on these boards. Unfortunately, life's just gotten in the way and I haven't had time to focus on pretty much anything else other than school and my extracurriculars.

Now, my Amazing Race competition was set to kick off in just over a month and as a result of my lack of free time, I haven't had time to put the puzzle pieces together on that one. Plus, my summer is looking much busier than I had anticipated, so I wouldn't be able to fully dedicate my time to it. So, it's with a heavy heart that I'm going to have to cancel it. It was a very hard decision to make, but I figured that I should force my indecisive mind to come to a decision when there was still enough time to possibly find a replacement competition.

Now, as for me, over three years of constant competition on here has unfortunately burnt me out for the time being (and foreseeable future). I'm hoping that I'll be able to make a comeback sometime during next year.

BUT, don't feel like I'm not here! I'm be on the boards everyday, just reading through threads when I have a few minutes here and there. So, if you have any questions, want to get my attention or just want to chat, I'll be online. :D

For those of you who are new who don't know me, this probably doesn't mean much, haha. But, for the foreseeable future, I'm signing off.

RM :)

P.S. I apologize for any typos, I had to write this up quickly. :rolleyes::p:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Good luck RM in your future endeavors!:) Best wishes for the busy summer and upcoming busy year with school and everything else going on.

Don't worry about the summer -- and it's very nice of you to let everyone know in advance instead of trying to handle the season with a full load. I'm sure we'll find something to take its place, and look forward to seeing you around soon!

tcool123

Hi everyone. As you may or may not have noticed, since I pulled out of the most recent season of So You Want To Be An Imagineer I've been pretty much nonexistent on these boards. Unfortunately, life's just gotten in the way and I haven't had time to focus on pretty much anything else other than school and my extracurriculars.

Now, my Amazing Race competition was set to kick off in just over a month and as a result of my lack of free time, I haven't had time to put the puzzle pieces together on that one. Plus, my summer is looking much busier than I had anticipated, so I wouldn't be able to fully dedicate my time to it. So, it's with a heavy heart that I'm going to have to cancel it. It was a very hard decision to make, but I figured that I should force my indecisive mind to come to a decision when there was still enough time to possibly find a replacement competition.

Now, as for me, over three years of constant competition on here has unfortunately burnt me out for the time being (and foreseeable future). I'm hoping that I'll be able to make a comeback sometime during next year.

BUT, don't feel like I'm not here! I'm be on the boards everyday, just reading through threads when I have a few minutes here and there. So, if you have any questions, want to get my attention or just want to chat, I'll be online. :D

For those of you who are new who don't know me, this probably doesn't mean much, haha. But, for the foreseeable future, I'm signing off.

RM :)

P.S. I apologize for any typos, I had to write this up quickly. :rolleyes::p:)
I'm sure we all completely understand where you're coming from. Good on you for knowing yourself, and announcing this now and not trying to half off your competition and/or whatever you're working on over the summer.

I also understand where you're coming from on this burnt out front, and that's how I've been feeling throughout this year. With a culmination of AP classes, studying, teachers thinking there classes are the only ones I take, a social life, and extracurricular activities you start feeling tired after a while. Hence my lack of participation in Competitions since who knows? The Creator Games last year, I think? I'm honestly really admire your work ethic, along with everyone of these boards who can balance everything and imagineering competitions and the like on their schedule.

We await your return to the forums, and when you do we'll likely welcome you with open arms upon your return. Until then stay imagineery ;):p:D

Don't worry about the summer -- and it's very nice of you to let everyone know in advance instead of trying to handle the season with a full load. I'm sure we'll find something to take its place, and look forward to seeing you around soon!
If there's no one starts their competitions or anything, I can move mine up to fill the gap to give people a summer competition. It's basically done, just got to figure out all the challenges. But besides basically done :rolleyes:

spacemt354

Chili's
If there's no one starts their competitions or anything, I can move mine up to fill the gap to give people a summer competition. It's basically done, just got to figure out all the challenges. But besides basically done :rolleyes:
Maybe it's the nostalgic in me but I loved that comp in the fall season...it was fun, yet accessible in school season and was just the perfect length Sept-Thanksgiving. :D

Either way that is an option -- I was also talking with someone about the possibility of an alternative Amazing Race comp (but nothing is even started so I won't go further on that)

I know Figment had expressed interest in a Star Wars competition but she's been sick so that has been delayed for now. There's also the possibility if @MANEATINGWREATH and @TheOriginalTiki are interested in So, You Want To Be An Imagineer Season 15 for the summer instead of waiting over a year for the next summer slot.

Plenty of options I'm sure we will find something that works for everyone!:)

tcool123

Maybe it's the nostalgic in me but I loved that comp in the fall season...it was fun, yet accessible in school season and was just the perfect length Sept-Thanksgiving. :D

Either way that is an option -- I was also talking with someone about the possibility of an alternative Amazing Race comp (but nothing is even started so I won't go further on that)

I know Figment had expressed interest in a Star Wars competition but she's been sick so that has been delayed for now. There's also the possibility if @MANEATINGWREATH and @TheOriginalTiki are interested in So, You Want To Be An Imagineer Season 15 for the summer instead of waiting over a year for the next summer slot.

It may be a bit grander in scale this year ;), but I agree I think it was a good fit. School was busy, but not too busy. Here's the last time the Imagineering competition calendar was updated, and I don' think any have been announced since then (removed RM for reference) :

May 2017
- The Great Disney Race by DSquared

June 2017
- The Great Disney Race by DSquared

July 2017
- TBN Competition by Magic Feather and FigmentPigments ? (Was cohosted perhaps if Magic talks it out with Figment he can go it alone or new cohost in the unfortunate case she's not better. Hopefully she will be better by then)

August 2017
- TBN Competition by Magic Feather and FigmentPigments

September 2017
- A Twist in Time 2 by tcool123
- TBN Competition by Magic Feather and FigmentPigments

October 2017

November 2017
- TBN Competition by Disney Dad 3000

December 2017
- TBN Competition by Disney Dad 3000
- Year End Competition

As it stands we have three that have not started mine, @Disney Dad 3000 's comp, @Magic Feather + @FigmentPigments comp, and mine. I believe @DSquared may have started and ended his comp, but I haven't kept up. Perhaps if one were to move to the summer? It would allow for more relaxed paced remainder of the year.

We could also always reboot smaller competitions such as 30 Days by @MonorailRed , or Realistic Imagineering(I think it was an interesting concept) by @spacemt354 . To fill in any gaps.

Just spitballing ideas :D

On an unrelated note I'm sensing a reboot for the newsletter in the upcoming weeks ;)

TheOriginalTiki

I'd definitely be interested in pursuing a season 15 over the summer. Season 14 was great but suffered from everyone's school schedule towards the mid-merge. It'd be great to build on the momentum and have a smaller scale season when everyone's way more available. I've definitely got a few ideas in mind for themes.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd definitely be interested in pursuing a season 15 over the summer. Season 14 was great but suffered from everyone's school schedule towards the mid-merge. It'd be great to build on the momentum and have a smaller scale season when everyone's way more available. I've definitely got a few ideas in mind for themes.
Nice! -- I know you were looking forward to The Amazing Race, but would you still be interested in an Amazing Race competition? I've been talking with @D Hindley -- who is one of our talented newer members here but has had a lot of armchair-imagineering experience in the past. He has some great ideas for an Amazing Race comp based on the show to potentially fill this void.

The SYWTBAI summer comp followed by Twist in Time fall comp was the same routine we did last year, and I think that panned out well. At the same time, the Amazing Race comp would be something different and unique compared to last year, and was what we originally thought was going to happen up until a few days ago.

Any route we take I'm sure will work out fine, but just thought I'd toss that out as well!:)

Disney Dad 3000

Hey gang. I've got most of the framework for mine set, just been working on some extras here and there to promote now and then over next few months (movie trailer coming soon). I can definitely move mine up.
Last 5-6 weeks just been nuts and listed house for sale 2 weeks ago so been a little incognito. Things should be getting to normal so I'm game for whatever works best with the schedule.

Edit:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...imagineering-competition.924471/#post-7578796

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Howdy! Was talking again with @D Hindley and I was working on some stuff with him for an Amazing Race comp alternative, but we're going to shelve it for the future for a variety of reasons. One being the interest to host from everyone here. Narrows down the decision making process!

Based on the calendar, I would assume DSquared's comp has come and past, since I haven't seen DSquared active in a few months. If that's the case, and if @TheOriginalTiki has some plans lined up for Season 15, then perhaps we could follow a similar pattern to last year which we know has worked.

As I'm sure Tiki would be interested in, based on the first two comps of this year, we need to have smaller casts in elimination competitions. 14-15 players at the most. Since the summer is generally when people are most free and active on the forums, we might want to consider having 2 comps in the summer, possibly staggered by a few weeks or a month.

This way we don't run into a situation where there are 24 people in one competition, and the host has to implement multiple double eliminations to end the comp in a reasonable time-frame. So maybe Disney Dad's comp could be in the summer too if he's interested in moving it up? Maybe SYWTBAI starts mid-June, The Great Movie Comp begins mid-July. This would be similar to summer 2015, when we had Sorcerer's Apprentice 3 begin July 4th, then 1984 began at the end of July. One comp had 16 players, the other had 12 players. Just a thought!

spacemt354

Chili's
Howdy! Was talking again with @D Hindley and I was working on some stuff with him for an Amazing Race comp alternative, but we're going to shelve it for the future for a variety of reasons. One being the interest to host from everyone here. Narrows down the decision making process!

Based on the calendar, I would assume DSquared's comp has come and past, since I haven't seen DSquared active in a few months. If that's the case, and if @TheOriginalTiki has some plans lined up for Season 15, then perhaps we could follow a similar pattern to last year which we know has worked.

As I'm sure Tiki would be interested in, based on the first two comps of this year, we need to have smaller casts in elimination competitions. 14-15 players at the most. Since the summer is generally when people are most free and active on the forums, we might want to consider having 2 comps in the summer, possibly staggered by a few weeks or a month.

This way we don't run into a situation where there are 24 people in one competition, and the host has to implement multiple double eliminations to end the comp in a reasonable time-frame. So maybe Disney Dad's comp could be in the summer too if he's interested in moving it up? Maybe SYWTBAI starts mid-June, The Great Movie Comp begins mid-July. This would be similar to summer 2015, when we had Sorcerer's Apprentice 3 begin July 4th, then 1984 began at the end of July. One comp had 16 players, the other had 12 players. Just a thought!
Oh and just one more thing with this but -- moving up Disney Dad's to a more active time of year, would also free up the fall season.

Last fall towards the end of Twist in Time I remember there were 3 comps going on at once. While kinda cool, I also remember getting a bit burnt out because the same people were in all 3 comps. And now come to think of it I haven't seriously competed as a player in a comp since last fall...probably because of that.

Giving Twist in Time its own spotlight could help alleviate that and help Twist maintain its style as the New Orleans Square of comps (yes @tcool123 there's your slogan:p)

TheOriginalTiki

I very much agree that Twist in Time should be the Fall slot. By all means were aiming to have 14-15 players MAX for SYWTBAI season 15 and will be taking steps to ensure we have the most well rounded and active cast we can find. Details and a title for the new season will be announced at the end of the Winner Reveal podcast for season 14 that MEW and I will be recording in a couple hours.

Disney Dad 3000

I could work with that. Maybe start GMR the week of july 9th giving SYWTBAI about 4 weeks of eliminations head start. Or can figure out pushing a week later if needed and finish out Labor Day weekend if that fits with twist in time scheduled start. Or I can go a week later into Sept if that's not starting til later.

GMR will have a house cup vibe to it, so will give some folks ability to do both if they want, or easily sign up after eliminations, etc. It will be non elimination and teams so hopefully make for some good variety with SYWTBAI but also make for easy cross-over. If I can get at least 16, that would be ideal, but it can easily accommodate more as the forums tend to swell over summer. Can make for a good mix of veterans and newbies.

tcool123

Oh and just one more thing with this but -- moving up Disney Dad's to a more active time of year, would also free up the fall season.

Last fall towards the end of Twist in Time I remember there were 3 comps going on at once. While kinda cool, I also remember getting a bit burnt out because the same people were in all 3 comps. And now come to think of it I haven't seriously competed as a player in a comp since last fall...probably because of that.

Giving Twist in Time its own spotlight could help alleviate that and help Twist maintain its style as the New Orleans Square of comps (yes @tcool123 there's your slogan:p)
I agree plus it would allow for both @Disney Dad 3000 and Twist in Time to not be competing competitions competing for players. Which would likely lead to a more active play base, and better fleshed out ideas. Which in turn leads to an awesome contest.

Wasn't more like two? I thought the third one died out? I only remember Twist in Time and @Magic Feather 's comp. What was the third one :confused:

I like that slogan not really sure what to make of it though? :confused: But I'll take it :p;):D

I very much agree that Twist in Time should be the Fall slot. By all means were aiming to have 14-15 players MAX for SYWTBAI season 15 and will be taking steps to ensure we have the most well rounded and active cast we can find. Details and a title for the new season will be announced at the end of the Winner Reveal podcast for season 14 that MEW and I will be recording in a couple hours.
Seems like everyone likes it in the Fall slot so I guess its staying there :D

I could work with that. Maybe start GMR the week of july 9th giving SYWTBAI about 4 weeks of eliminations head start. Or can figure out pushing a week later if needed and finish out Labor Day weekend if that fits with twist in time scheduled start. Or I can go a week later into Sept if that's not starting til later.

GMR will have a house cup vibe to it, so will give some folks ability to do both if they want, or easily sign up after eliminations, etc. It will be non elimination and teams so hopefully make for some good variety with SYWTBAI but also make for easy cross-over. If I can get at least 16, that would be ideal, but it can easily accommodate more as the forums tend to swell over summer. Can make for a good mix of veterans and newbies.
Twist in Time as it stands should start September 1st, and end November 30th. Literally the entire Fall slot, but that's only if I hit max capacity of players which I don't will happen given school, less people around, etc. (Max is going to be 15)

BTW count me in for your competition, I think its time for my return :cool:

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree plus it would allow for both @Disney Dad 3000 and Twist in Time to not be competing competitions competing for players. Which would likely lead to a more active play base, and better fleshed out ideas. Which in turn leads to an awesome contest.

Wasn't more like two? I thought the third one died out? I only remember Twist in Time and @Magic Feather 's comp. What was the third one :confused:

I like that slogan not really sure what to make of it though? :confused: But I'll take it :p;):D

Twist in Time as it stands should start September 1st, and end November 30th. Literally the entire Fall slot, but that's only if I hit max capacity of players which I don't will happen given school, less people around, etc. (Max is going to be 15)

I believe it was the One Sentence Comp Episode 4, Quest, and the Twist in Time finale. Then Eisner's Game started up right after. I just remember being worn out at the end of the year with so many comps. :p

Anyway -- I think this is a good plan! Especially since The Great Movie comp will be more along the lines of House Cup, I think that'll provide an outlet for newer members or people who wouldn't want an elimination-based game in SYWTBAI. And not always, but on average, the first people eliminated tend to be people just getting the hang of things, so say someone joins SYWTBAI, gets booted out early, then in a few weeks they have another comp to play in with everyone for the rest of the summer!

Then we got Twist in Time for the fall! And I have to defend my title! :D

Disney Dad 3000

Sounds good! I might have to try and partake this fall. Finalizing aWDW trip in sept right after labor day so maybe that can give me some onsite ideas.
If you are looking at at 9/1 to start, I can look at starting July 9th and finish up 8/30, giving folks a few days off potentially and I can stagger the last challenge so they have 10 days for it so they are fairly relaxed ending up and aren't burnt out packing stuff into a couple days and then jumping straight to Twist in Time.

tcool123

Sounds good! I might have to try and partake this fall. Finalizing aWDW trip in sept right after labor day so maybe that can give me some onsite ideas.
If you are looking at at 9/1 to start, I can look at starting July 9th and finish up 8/30, giving folks a few days off potentially and I can stagger the last challenge so they have 10 days for it so they are fairly relaxed ending up and aren't burnt out packing stuff into a couple days and then jumping straight to Twist in Time.
Hopefully you do it'll be a lot of fun, if I say so myself.
That would help if there were any challenges based on Walt Disney World ;)
All my challenges are similar time frames so everyone would have time.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm wondering if you could even push it up another week? Maybe July 1st or so? I say that because move-in time for colleges is the end of August, and knowing the struggles of those times lol, and given a decent amount of our members are around that age, it might be helpful to be able to end the week before that starts.

Then once everyone is settled into the school year, Twist begins!

Disney Dad 3000

I'm wondering if you could even push it up another week? Maybe July 1st or so? I say that because move-in time for colleges is the end of August, and knowing the struggles of those times lol, and given a decent amount of our members are around that age, it might be helpful to be able to end the week before that starts.

Then once everyone is settled into the school year, Twist begins!

I think that'll work as long as I don't start too early in order to give SYWTBAI a few weeks to get started, have a few eliminations, etc. I could shoot for an ending then around 22nd or 23rd if that is best. Whatever is best I'm game for.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think that'll work as long as I don't start too early in order to give SYWTBAI a few weeks to get started, have a few eliminations, etc. I could shoot for an ending then around 22nd or 23rd if that is best. Whatever is best I'm game for.
I think you should be good. Having an elimination comp and non-elimination comp, you will probably be attracting different audiences, so from June 9th (SYWTBAI start date) till July 1st (ish) -- there should be at least 2-3 challenges/eliminations plus players who are more comfortable with a non-elim setting. And then there will be people who might try both as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom