Main Street Emporium columns refurbishment

Father Robinson

So y'all complain when they don't keep up maintenance, and then you complain when they do. Sad really.
I was wondering how the first comment about comparing maintenance to non maintenance would be worded. For the record, did you hear me complain that they don't maintain? I think they maintain the wrong things too much. Everytime I go I see things in dire need of repair or upkeep but never once thought, man I wish they'd do something about MSUSA! And please only criticize if you truly understand what I'm saying. I said I understand the need for OCCASIONAL refreshes.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I was wondering how the first comment about comparing maintenance to non maintenance would be worded. For the record, did you hear me complain that they don't maintain? I think they maintain the wrong things too much. Everytime I go I see things in dire need of repair or upkeep but never once thought, man I wish they'd do something about MSUSA! And please only criticize if you truly understand what I'm saying. I said I understand the need for OCCASIONAL refreshes.
You do know that I did not reply directly to you, but just the "you" in general.

tirian

:eek: So I guess you can just put me on ignore.

ETA: And if you'd bother reading my other postings, you would see that I am anything but a troll.

Fortunately, the parks are the best maintained they've been in years. Two months ago, I noticed all the SFX were working everywhere, from Pirates to Test Track to the Great Movie Ride. Buildings gleamed. (Have you seen China in Epcot? It practically glows in the sun.)

Unfortunately, the schedules are now spread thin, and simple repainting takes longer than expected.

And when I said "trolls," I didn't mean you in particular. ;)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Fortunately, the parks are the best maintained they've been in years. Two months ago, I noticed all the SFX were working everywhere, from Pirates to Test Track to the Great Movie Ride. Unfortunately, the schedules are now spread thin, and simple repainting takes longer than expected.

And when I said "trolls," I didn't mean you in particular. ;)
I absolutely agree that they're getting back to maintenance the way they should have been all along. My issue is with people that complain that they are doing maintenance during "their" vacation. Wahhh. I for one am just glad that they are doing the maintenance again, even if that means some scrims or downtime for an attraction while we are there.

chiefs11

I'm all for more maintenance... but I think his question was more along the lines of what are they doing under there? If they're just painting the columns why does it take so long? I suspect the answer is they're doing more then just painting, maybe replacing the columns completely.

I suppose the typical critic around here would say they only have one painter and are only willing to pay him for a few hours a day so it takes a really long time. lol

tirian

I'm all for more maintenance... but I think his question was more along the lines of what are they doing under there? If they're just painting the columns why does it take so long? I suspect the answer is they're doing more then just painting, maybe replacing the columns completely.

I suppose the typical critic around here would say they only have one painter and are only willing to pay him for a few hours a day so it takes a really long time. lol
The façades were completely rebuilt within the last five years, hence why everyone wonders why a simple repaint takes so long. Of course the maintenance is necessary, but Disney is also known to let things drag over months to save money on a spreadsheet.

Anyway, a friend of mine is there today, and she said the red roof isn't distracting in person.

COProgressFan

I do agree their choices of what to refurb is often interesting. Of course, all of MSUSA, and the whole park should look pristine, but in general since they completely rehabbed every single building there a few years back, they are looking pretty good. Yet Tomorrowland looks terrible, and needs a fresh coat of paint (and then some). There are still lots of pockets of neglect throughout the MK, and I wonder if they're just putting the budget into simpler, more tangible projects.

tirian

I do agree their choices of what to refurb is often interesting. Of course, all of MSUSA, and the whole park should look pristine, but in general since they completely rehabbed every single building there a few years back, they are looking pretty good. Yet Tomorrowland looks terrible, and needs a fresh coat of paint (and then some). There are still lots of pockets of neglect throughout the MK, and I wonder if they're just putting the budget into simpler, more tangible projects.
TL's refurb is already underway. :)

Father Robinson

Here's my issue with the seemingly constant scrim work on MSUSA, it's the first part of the story you place yourself in when you visit the MK. It's Chapter One, Page One, Once Upon a Time, etc... You're getting your very first taste of what's to come inside those walls that separate the real world from the fantasy. And while I know occasional maintenance and freshing up is necessary, I do think they go waaaaay overboard in the doing it to the MS facades. And I know timing can be everything but just for reference, I've visited the parks 11 times since 2003 and I'll be there again in a little over 2 weeks. Only 3 times was MS scrim free and it's my favorite area on the property. It does get annoying.

JoeCamel

I understand the need for occasional refreshes, but can someone please tell me what in God's name goes on under these canvasses? The way they wall off these facades I expect that they go under as a caterpillar and emerge as a butterfly but in most cases it simply looks like a fresh coat of paint. In all seriousness are they ripping out walls and replacing them under there? Point being, I've seen 3 story houses get painted in less than 5 days using no scaffolding and they're 4 sides and more, not a one sided 2 story facade that they hide for weeks to months at a time in the most photographed place in the world.

Rant over.

As far as it taking a long time to paint what they are doing in many cases is more than simple paint. They epoxy fill all the damage from the guests and carve it back to the original shape then may need to apply 5 coats of polyester paint and glazes to get the proper look. In the case of the stone work that really is concrete or fiberglass underneath it is five. Each coat has to dry before the next can go on.

More artistry than simply painting surfaces. One of the things that Dis has perfected and they still have people who know how to do this right but it requires having wet paint and damage in guest areas for extended periods so they hide it. Can you imagine the printer it takes to do the scrims?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Love how people complain about length of refurbs but will the first to complain when things are looking up to Disney Standards. Take as long as it takes to do the job correctly.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
As far as it taking a long time to paint what they are doing in many cases is more than simple paint. They epoxy fill all the damage from the guests and carve it back to the original shape then may need to apply 5 coats of polyester paint and glazes to get the proper look. In the case of the stone work that really is concrete or fiberglass underneath it is five. Each coat has to dry before the next can go on.

More artistry than simply painting surfaces. One of the things that Dis has perfected and they still have people who know how to do this right but it requires having wet paint and damage in guest areas for extended periods so they hide it. Can you imagine the printer it takes to do the scrims?
Good to know the extent of the these types of refurbs, thanks for the intel.

SteamboatJoe

Here is a gray, rainy picture from underneath the train station.

Attachments

• 20170513 (147).jpg
    20170513 (147).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom