Volcano Bay

Quinnmac000

39A5461a-e1494017721494.jpg

C_j8IF4XkAE-uqX.jpg

mergatroid

So I will probably be a bit of a Debbie downer here and I'm sure this will look better in real life.
The art work put out by Universal is FAR SUPERIOR than the finished product.

Sorry but this looks a bit underwhelming vs. the marketing videos/art work and the video with the the cars driving by in the back ground don't help. Also, the opening of the volcano on the back seems to me would of been better served to close it.

I'm scheduled to do a Universal trip on the 20th and will be able to give a real assessment then but as of now this looks like a water park with a volcano that was done on the budget and for a park center piece it shouldn't have.
Kind of reminds me of that volcano rollercoaster in Kings Dominion a few years ago. Not bad but nothing great either.

I'm sure it will be an exciting and popular park, look forward to trying it out ourselves. However much of the art work I saw originally, kind of hid the fact there's so much coloured tubing on display around the park. Now before artwork is posted showing that to be incorrect, I'm going off the few pieces I saw so apologies if there's loads proudly boasting brightly coloured tubing everywhere.

I also only saw pictures of one side of the volcano, the side that makes it look a complete mountain. Whether that was a deliberate ploy to make it looked more impressive or not, I have no idea? I'm sure these things won't stop me or many others enjoying it, however I can't help thinking Disney would get slaughtered on here by some for doing similar especially as some are saying Disney are playing catch up with Universal now.

mergatroid

It should look better in time as the plants grow just look at typhoon lagoon
Typhoon_Lagoon_Aerial_1.jpg
1842405.jpg

As I said previously to me TL will always appear more 'natural' and relaxing than VB will, though VB will probably be more 'exciting' and 'thrilling'. It's almost unfair comparing them as they're heading in slightly different directions.

JoeCamel

Glad we don't have to contend with either of you at the park. It is so underwhelming (before you visit) than I am sure you will cancel and attend DIS parks only. Great, more room for us that don't put up preconceived notions as what I will experience in reality. Stay far far away please.

mergatroid

Glad we don't have to contend with either of you at the park. It is so underwhelming (before you visit) than I am sure you will cancel and attend DIS parks only. Great, more room for us that don't put up preconceived notions as what I will experience in reality. Stay far far away please.

Not falling out with you but what a strange post and I'm afraid you will have to contend with me as I'll be visiting to try it out and I'm looking forward to it :). I'm a huge fan of both Disney AND UNIVERSAL and others will hopefully testify to this from my numerous HHN threads. I'm just debating the new water park using the same logic people do about Disney on here. I think and have said that I believe VB will be both excting and thrilling, just a tad disappointed about some of the appearances but it won't stop me having fun there.

Seems on here if you say anything deemed 'negative' about Universal then you're a Disney fan boy but if you criticise Disney you're just expressing an opinion?

Last edited:

EpcotEric01

Not falling out with you but what a strange post and I'm afraid you will have to contend with me as I'll be visiting to try it out and I'm looking forward to it :). I'm a huge fan of both Disney AND UNIVERSAL and others will hopefully testify to this from my numerous HHN threads. I'm just debating the new water park using the same logic people do about Disney on here. I think and have said that I believe VB will be both excting and thrilling, just a tad disappointed about some of the appearances but it won't stop me having fun there.

Seems on here if you say anything deemed 'negative' about Universal then you're a Disney fan boy but if you criticise Disney you're just expressing an opinion?
You're disappointed about the appearance of a park you've only seen from a drone? Take a drone above any park and you'd be "disappointed", as far as traffic, you won't see any traffic once you are in the park, you won't see I4 or Turkey Lake Rd. Sure you'll see them once you go up to ride a slide, but how is that any different than say Summit Plummet?

mergatroid

You're disappointed about the appearance of a park you've only seen from a drone? Take a drone above any park and you'd be "disappointed", as far as traffic, you won't see any traffic once you are in the park, you won't see I4 or Turkey Lake Rd. Sure you'll see them once you go up to ride a slide, but how is that any different than say Summit Plummet?

Sorry I don't think I mentioned the view of traffic, possibly mixing me up with somebody else? The disappointment isn't particularly from the drone either, I'm assuming the coloured tubing will still look coloured from the ground and the side of the mountain won't be there from the ground either?

It won't stop me going to what I believe will be a fun and exciting park in a place I love, I'm merely saying it's slightly different to how I expected and is just my opinion. If it makes you feel any better I think the restaurants in Pandora look a bit disappointing too, I love both parks but can see things I'm a tad critical of at times?

Last edited:

danpam1024

Why are people "disappointed" BEFORE the place is 1. Finished and 2. OPENED???:confused::confused::confused: Seems this way for some about EVERYTHING UOR does. So there's not a back side of the volcano- don't you think for a second the creative people wanted one? It's obviously not there for a reason, most glaringly because of darkness and heat. They'd probably have to use so much chlorine it would melt your skin off in order to keep the mold/algae away. And can you even imagine how HOT it would be inside the tubes? Yuck! Is everyone still upset that the bamboo isn't green as well. In the drought? Sheesh.:facepalm:

mergatroid

Why are people "disappointed" BEFORE the place is 1. Finished and 2. OPENED???:confused::confused::confused: Seems this way for some about EVERYTHING UOR does. So there's not a back side of the volcano- don't you think for a second the creative people wanted one? It's obviously not there for a reason, most glaringly because of darkness and heat. They'd probably have to use so much chlorine it would melt your skin off in order to keep the mold/algae away. And can you even imagine how HOT it would be inside the tubes? Yuck! Is everyone still upset that the bamboo isn't green as well. In the drought? Sheesh.:facepalm:

If that's the case then fair enough, though Expedition Everest, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have managed to control the temperatures inside them ok so the technology to do it has been around for well over 40 years? I won't mention it again though as my intention isn't to upset folk, just thinking out loud really and it surprised me after seeing the concept artwork. Again I can't stress enough that it looks like a fun park, it will no doubt be a great day out and another fine addition to the Orlando attractions.

danpam1024

If that's the case then fair enough, though Expedition Everest, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have managed to control the temperatures inside them ok so the technology to do it has been around for well over 40 years? I won't mention it again though as my intention isn't to upset folk, just thinking out loud really and it surprised me after seeing the concept artwork. Again I can't stress enough that it looks like a fun park, it will no doubt be a great day out and another fine addition to the Orlando attractions.
None of those examples have tubes of water running through them. Different animal.

Disneyhead'71

Everyone is saying that the backside of the volcano is "unfinished" like the backside of Everest. The backside of the volcano is finished. There are no exposed metal supports for the volcano visible. And the entire interior of the volcano is lined with rock work. There is more rock work inside the volcano than they would have used if the had rounded out and enclosed the back. The "blown out" volcano is the look Universal Creative wanted and the colored slides will be visually striking inside the cauldera.

You guys are acting like Universal ran out of money and said good enough. Which is ridiculous. And no, Universal did not get a deal on "ugly colored" slides and they didn't refuse to pay more for the special "Disney Xtra-Tan" slides. They actually chose the colored slides on purpose.

Not everyone does everything the Disney way. And having colored slides is only an abomination to a few closed minded individuals.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Can you imagine the drop slide with a partial tube:eek:

Would be exciting :)? They could have the 'drop slide' elsewhere or have it in a transparent tube on the side of the volcano. If they'd have wanted to enclose the entire volcano with slides in it, they could have done it. Probably like Disney with the Yeti, they weigh up the costs and then decide no to do it.

Anyway as much as I'm enjoying our chat, I'll respectfully pull out of it at this point. I don't want to come across as being anti-Uni or trolling unnecessarily and the more I discuss my point, I fear the more I'll seem like I'm doing that.

UCF

Yeah, chlorine doesn't quite work like that. The chlorine levels of the water would not need to be significantly changed, the feeder system might need to add larger amount of chlorine, but probably not, as typically chlorine's worst enemy is the sun.

JoeCamel

Yeah, chlorine doesn't quite work like that. The chlorine levels of the water would not need to be significantly changed, the feeder system might need to add larger amount of chlorine, but probably not, as typically chlorine's worst enemy is the sun.
Pretty sure she is speaking of the amount of chlorine/biocide necessary to spray or wipe down surfaces that would get mold, mildew or algae growing on them if there was not enough air circulation through all that wet. It would look like splash does before its refurb

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom