Tips for sleeping a family of 4 in hotel room

mdubm

Original Poster
Our family usually splurges on suites when we vacation to have the separation from the kids. But, staying on site, and for what we want, we are all sharing a hotel room because a deluxe suite was out of the budget. We are staying at YC. We have a 14 month old who will go to bed no later than 8 (in pack n play) and a 4 year old who will go to bed around 9. We are bringing a cardboard room divider and a sound machine. We should have a balcony. Any other tips for managing our stay?

Weather_Lady

When the kids were little, DH and I would spend a little time on the balcony or patio chit-chatting, and then turn in ourselves not long after the kids! We did so much walking while touring the parks that I had no trouble getting to sleep early, and of course, we were all getting up early every morning for rope drop anyway.

If DH wasn't tired enough yet, he just read or played quiet games on his phone or tablet until he felt drowsy enough to turn in -- or even went for a little stroll around the resort (or to fetch a drink or snack to bring back to the room).

Last edited:

Thecorsi4

Our family usually splurges on suites when we vacation to have the separation from the kids. But, staying on site, and for what we want, we are all sharing a hotel room because a deluxe suite was out of the budget. We are staying at YC. We have a 14 month old who will go to bed no later than 8 (in pack n play) and a 4 year old who will go to bed around 9. We are bringing a cardboard room divider and a sound machine. We should have a balcony. Any other tips for managing our stay?
We like AOA suits. the delux would be good but I only sleep about 4 hours so the single room would not work for us

correcaminos

Silly question, since you are doing deluxe, did you look into renting DVC points? Only ask since you mentioned liking suites. Noise machines should help you. We liked the portable cribs vs pack n play for the toddler age. Just ask at the front desk as it should be better for your youngest to get comfortable.

mdubm

Original Poster
Silly question, since you are doing deluxe, did you look into renting DVC points? Only ask since you mentioned liking suites. Noise machines should help you. We liked the portable cribs vs pack n play for the toddler age. Just ask at the front desk as it should be better for your youngest to get comfortable.
We did, but all that was available at the time of booking was OKW and SSR. Will look into portable crib. How much more room does it take up? I'm just worried about all of us fitting in the room comfortably with a pack n play or crib.

correcaminos

We did, but all that was available at the time of booking was OKW and SSR. Will look into portable crib. How much more room does it take up? I'm just worried about all of us fitting in the room comfortably with a pack n play or crib.
Yeah I would pick Epcot over those two for little ones. We're DVC owners and stuck to MK and Epcot while in the nap stage still.

The portable crib takes up almost the same amount of area as a pack n play. It is taller and has a thicker mattress though and overall more comfortable we found. Anything past infancy is tough IMO in those pack n plays. It also can be moved (on wheels) and they should be able to fold up - at least ours did to go against the wall. However we were able to just roll it out of the way when not needed.

jaklgreen

We have been travelling with our kids yearly since they were 1&2.(teens now) We always just share one room. It's never been an issue. We just put them to bed and hubby would watch TV quietly and I would read on my Nook. Kids went to sleep just fine. I have never heard of a cardboard room divider. But we were never the type to make sure the house was super quiet when the kids were sleeping. Heck, when they went down for a nap I would vacuum the house. So they are used to just going to sleep when they are tired. After the first night there, the kids get used to the set up and are usually so tired from the day that they go right down.

mdubm

Original Poster
We have been travelling with our kids yearly since they were 1&2.(teens now) We always just share one room. It's never been an issue. We just put them to bed and hubby would watch TV quietly and I would read on my Nook. Kids went to sleep just fine. I have never heard of a cardboard room divider. But we were never the type to make sure the house was super quiet when the kids were sleeping. Heck, when they went down for a nap I would vacuum the house. So they are used to just going to sleep when they are tired. After the first night there, the kids get used to the set up and are usually so tired from the day that they go right down.
Haha the cardboard room divider actually has a story behind it. We had to live with our in laws for about 5 months while our house was being built. My son slept in a pack n play in their office which had no door, so they said they'd buy a room divider to help him sleep. I thought it would be one of those solid tri-fold pieces, but what showed up was a cardboard tri-fold no taller than me that I'm pretty sure is used for school projects. Anyway, we have it and we're driving and our son can sleep through some noise, but if he sees us, he'll probably want out, so I figured we'd bring it.

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably stressing out over something that will be completely fine.

jaklgreen

Haha the cardboard room divider actually has a story behind it. We had to live with our in laws for about 5 months while our house was being built. My son slept in a pack n play in their office which had no door, so they said they'd buy a room divider to help him sleep. I thought it would be one of those solid tri-fold pieces, but what showed up was a cardboard tri-fold no taller than me that I'm pretty sure is used for school projects. Anyway, we have it and we're driving and our son can sleep through some noise, but if he sees us, he'll probably want out, so I figured we'd bring it.

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably stressing out over something that will be completely fine.

Might as well since you already have it. Sounds like any little bit helps. We could probably use that now more that our kids are teens then when they were little LOL. Crazy teens! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom