Tough to get a reservation for October 2017!

aurorawest

Original Poster
I learned a valuable lesson today not to wait until 6 months out to book a hotel room on property. I can't believe how few rooms are available! But, I guess on the plus side, if nothing else opens up, we'll be staying in a Copper Creek studio at Wilderness Lodge. :D Anybody else having issues or do others know better than to make this mistake?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Based on search from 16 to 22 October, 17 of the resorts have rooms available; including standard views, while one (BC) has only 1 BR club-level rooms available.

There are many hotels not available, but 17 doesn't seem to me to be a paucity of availability.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I learned a valuable lesson today not to wait until 6 months out to book a hotel room on property. I can't believe how few rooms are available! But, I guess on the plus side, if nothing else opens up, we'll be staying in a Copper Creek studio at Wilderness Lodge. :D Anybody else having issues or do others know better than to make this mistake?
Do you have CCV booked already? Welcome to F&WF with a lot of schools now doing Fall Breaks. No low time in the fall anymore.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'd book that stay at Copper Creek fast. For DVC members staying on points, there's practically no availability the entire month. With F&W in full swing, along with the Halloween party and some schools now having a fall break, you might find availability limited. October used to be one of the slower times at WDW (years ago it was Florida residents month with drastically reduced ticket prices), but not any more.

correcaminos

I'd book that stay at Copper Creek fast. For DVC members staying on points, there's practically no availability the entire month. With F&W in full swing, along with the Halloween party and some schools now having a fall break, you might find availability limited. October used to be one of the slower times at WDW (years ago it was Florida residents month with drastically reduced ticket prices), but not any more.
To be fair they have only declared 48 rooms total last I heard. Once they declare more we can see how it will be for DVC. For now CRO should have better availability.

LAKid53

Premium Member
To be fair they have only declared 48 rooms total last I heard. Once they declare more we can see how it will be for DVC. For now CRO should have better availability.

There are a total of 184 villas in the South wing - I can't remember of that number how many are studios, 1 and 2 bedroom villas. There is only one 3 bedroom grand villa per floor. The resort opens in 2 months. I doubt DVC declared only 48 of those rooms available. Up until April 25th, only existing and new members buying points in CCV could make reservations - after that, all DVC members could make reservations. If DVC was holding back rooms initially, I'd understand. But I looked at booking a room 3 months after the scheduled opening date. And I now own in CCV. I had no problem, though, booking a room for next February, since that's within my 11 month home resort window.

correcaminos

There are a total of 184 villas in the South wing - I can't remember of that number how many are studios, 1 and 2 bedroom villas. There is only one 3 bedroom grand villa per floor. The resort opens in 2 months. I doubt DVC declared only 48 of those rooms available. Up until April 25th, only existing and new members buying points in CCV could make reservations - after that, all DVC members could make reservations. If DVC was holding back rooms initially, I'd understand. But I looked at booking a room 3 months after the scheduled opening date. And I now own in CCV. I had no problem, though, booking a room for next February, since that's within my 11 month home resort window.
That is how it works. They have only declared 48 last I heard. They do not declare all at once. It has to do with numbers sold. The more they sell, the more they declare.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Here is the breakdown for CCV:

184 (max 220)
Dedicated Studio: 42
Dedicated One Bedroom: 20
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 56
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 36 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 4
Cascade Cabin: 26

LAKid53

Premium Member
Here is the breakdown for CCV:

184 (max 220)
Dedicated Studio: 42
Dedicated One Bedroom: 20
Dedicated Two Bedroom: 56
Lockoff Two Bedroom: 36 (Each can be booked separately as One Bedroom + Studio)
Three Bedroom Grand Villa: 4
Cascade Cabin: 26

Thanks for the breakdown! I couldn't find my notes from my meeting with my sales rep.

I wish DVC would be more transparent about the allocation of resort rooms between members and cash guests. If I remember correctly, Florida law prohibits selling 100% of the interest in a time share - I think 2%-3% must remain unsold. Not sure if Disney uses that hold back for cash guests. And then there's the DVC member cash reservation. I had to make that type of reservation for my Pandora preview next week, as I'd forgotten all about it until I received the email. And I was not about to waste points on a 1 bedroom at SSR. So I got a Savannah view studio at Jambo House for less than the current AP discount for a regular cash room at any of the deluxes...what was available on such short notice.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for the breakdown! I couldn't find my notes from my meeting with my sales rep.

I wish DVC would be more transparent about the allocation of resort rooms between members and cash guests. If I remember correctly, Florida law prohibits selling 100% of the interest in a time share - I think 2%-3% must remain unsold. Not sure if Disney uses that hold back for cash guests. And then there's the DVC member cash reservation. I had to make that type of reservation for my Pandora preview next week, as I'd forgotten all about it until I received the email. And I was not about to waste points on a 1 bedroom at SSR. So I got a Savannah view studio at Jambo House for less than the current AP discount for a regular cash room at any of the deluxes...what was available on such short notice.
Yes, it is 2% that must be held back. The DVC member cash reservations come about due to members using their points for cruises, AbD, trading into RCI, etc. Same thing happens when you see availability at a resort through CRO, but not DVC. The formula is a closely guarded secret as to how they allocate the rooms for cash. If I use 150 points of my SSR ownership for an RCI trade, then Disney can decide to allow a certain number of days equivalent to that for a cash guest, so that Disney can pay RCI for the room. We just don't know if it is a few nights in a studio, and a few in a 1 bedroom, or a few in a 2 bedroom, etc. That part they really can't be too transparent, as I am sure that they are combining points used from many members at the same time. I can't even imagine how complex that formula is, but it is probably mind-boggling for juggling everything.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, it is 2% that must be held back. The DVC member cash reservations come about due to members using their points for cruises, AbD, trading into RCI, etc. Same thing happens when you see availability at a resort through CRO, but not DVC. The formula is a closely guarded secret as to how they allocate the rooms for cash. If I use 150 points of my SSR ownership for an RCI trade, then Disney can decide to allow a certain number of days equivalent to that for a cash guest, so that Disney can pay RCI for the room. We just don't know if it is a few nights in a studio, and a few in a 1 bedroom, or a few in a 2 bedroom, etc. That part they really can't be too transparent, as I am sure that they are combining points used from many members at the same time. I can't even imagine how complex that formula is, but it is probably mind-boggling for juggling everything.

Thanks, Goof, that's the best explanation I've heard...and I've asked DVC a similar question.

correcaminos

I have been told it is 3% not 2% for DVC.

Honestly I feel they are transparent enough about the process. The only thing hard to get is the declaration of points that they do as the resort sells. But they announce when it happens so at least you know that more is available for DVC owners to rent. However that also means there are more owners trying for points as well.

wdwfan4eva

I was planning to go in October but 'no room at the inn'! :banghead: And the airfare went up, too. :banghead: Ended up deciding to leave a month earlier and found reasonable airfare and full DVC availability at one resort (no 2 nights here and one night there). :D

Sad to see that what was once touted as a 'you can pick up and go last minute and find a DVC room' is now a rarity at times. Holiday parties and festivals are making them book up a lot quicker and further in advance.

aurorawest

Original Poster

Yeah, we booked it. When I was a Florida resident and a DVC member, October was my favorite time to go because of the lower crowds (I had no idea it was Florida residents month at one point...before my time, I guess!). Back then it was no problem at any time for me to book a room as little as a few weeks in advance. October 2016 had been my first time there since 2013 and I was shocked by the crowd levels.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I was planning to go in October but 'no room at the inn'! :banghead: And the airfare went up, too. :banghead: Ended up deciding to leave a month earlier and found reasonable airfare and full DVC availability at one resort (no 2 nights here and one night there). :D

Sad to see that what was once touted as a 'you can pick up and go last minute and find a DVC room' is now a rarity at times. Holiday parties and festivals are making them book up a lot quicker and further in advance.

I called 3 days before my spur of the moment trip one October and got a studio at OKW, at a great Fall rate. Of course, this was several years ago. Wasn't DVC yet, but wanted to try one of the resorts and couldn't resist the price. Fast forward to now? I'd be lucky to find a room.....

Jo DeVil

We go every October for at least 2 weeks and have no problem booking our home resort BWV at 11 months but October seems to be getting busier and busier each year, Last year with F&WF, MNSSHP and everywhere seem to be busting at the seems with conventions, it is the worst we have seen it. Only 141 days till I find out what this year will hold.:joyfull:

s&k'smom

I've always had to booked in advance just so we could get certain dates, hubby works in a union so they bid on vacation so our times off are rock solid. Even if you think you are going better to book and cancel. However you'll love the fall it's a great time of year to be there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom