Original Disneyland sketch by Herb Ryman is going to auction

D

Deleted member 107043

$1 million? I realize it's valuable but that price sounds a bit extreme.

D

Deleted member 107043

This was a Disney/Ryman sketch, but the article says "hand drawn poster created by Walt Disney." Weird how Herb is not acknowledged.

It's the NY Post. Good journalism has never been one of its attributes.

dweezil78

This was a Disney/Ryman sketch, but the article says "hand drawn poster created by Walt Disney." Weird how Herb is not acknowledged.

Just poor reporting. Apparently several different publications misinterpreted Van Eaton's press release. There was a part that said Herb or Walt or someone else may have colored in Herb's drawing.

dweezil78

There are several iterations of this same piece used for different purposes. Disney displayed one that they own at the 2013 D23 Expo.

rob0519

From the current owner, "It was always my desire to somehow return it to Disney,” he said. “I wanted it to go home. For 40 years, that has been my wish.”

Did he try calling the Disney Archive and offer to donate back to them since it doesn't look like he paid for it in the first place. In 40 years he couldn't just give it back? Well, I guess $1,000,000 payday is stronger than the desire to return it to Disney.

D

Deleted member 107043

From the current owner, "It was always my desire to somehow return it to Disney,” he said. “I wanted it to go home. For 40 years, that has been my wish.”

Did he try calling the Disney Archive and offer to donate back to them since it doesn't look like he paid for it in the first place. In 40 years he couldn't just give it back? Well, I guess $1,000,000 payday is stronger than the desire to return it to Disney.

I had the same thought.

My preference would be for it to be donated to The Disney Family Museum. As much as I love the WDCo it would be nice for something this personal to be displayed in an environment less commercial than a Disney theme park.

TP2000

There are several iterations of this same piece used for different purposes. Disney displayed one that they own at the 2013 D23 Expo.

And what is hysterical is John McClintock, the Disney spokesman, who tries to downplay the whole thing.

“It predates any work on Disneyland and it doesn’t really resemble Disneyland, so you can’t really use that as a template for how the park developed,” McClintock said. http://nypost.com/2017/05/10/walt-disneys-original-disneyland-map-could-sell-for-1m/

Hey, McClintock, for several decades your company has been touting this artwork and the "Weekend with Walt n' Herbie" story behind it as the sacred birth of Walt Disney's living dream of Disneyland. It's kind of a big deal, but we understand you trying to cool down the bidding war. :rolleyes:

180º

And what is hysterical is John McClintock, the Disney spokesman, who tries to downplay the whole thing.

“It predates any work on Disneyland and it doesn’t really resemble Disneyland, so you can’t really use that as a template for how the park developed,” McClintock said. http://nypost.com/2017/05/10/walt-disneys-original-disneyland-map-could-sell-for-1m/

Hey, McClintock, for several decades your company has been touting this artwork and the "Weekend with Walt n' Herbie" story behind it as the sacred birth of Walt Disney's living dream of Disneyland. It's kind of a big deal, but we understand you trying to cool down the bidding war. :rolleyes:
Wow. I kinda wish they wouldn't crap on their own legacy just to keep the price down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom