New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Curious Constance

I will be at DAK on 5/21...they are doing a D23 preview that day...but I didn't get in. So I won't be able to see it. Second time this has happened as we were there a few years ago, literally the day before they started soft openings on Everest. I guess it gives me something new to look forward to if we ever go back again. At least I can stand at the entry, looking longingly into the land like a kid a the window of a candy store.

Oh, no!

If it's any consolation, I've seen video of the AA in the boat ride, and IT SCARES THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME.

D

Deleted member 107043

At least I can stand at the entry, looking longingly into the land like a kid a the window of a candy store.

You might be able to get in on a different day, you never know. I'm sure there'll be some soft openings and if your schedule is flexible you can get in for a few hours.

If it's any consolation, I've seen video of the AA in the boat ride, and IT SCARES THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF ME.

Sounds fun!

D

Deleted member 107043

Well, since a lot of people around here seem to want it to be a huge flop....

Fixed it for you.

Stevek

You might be able to get in on a different day, you never know. I'm sure there'll be some soft openings and if your schedule is flexible you can get in for a few hours.

Sounds fun!
Unfortunately, we are only in the parks for 3 days (tail end of company sales meeting) and we aren't park hopping. The whole time we are there is previews for various groups (DVC, AP, D23). We'll swing by, who knows...may get lucky and get in.

Phroobar

Well, since a lot of people around here seem to think it's going to be a huge flop, just wait a few months, and everything will be a walk-on. ;) I'm not one of those, though.
I'd travel to WDW to see Avatar. I'd probably spend the day at DAK to see it and then two days at Epcot and another day at IOA. The rest of the time at the pool and rent a paddle boat. No need for the MK and definitely no reason to see DHS even after Star Wars land.

Last edited:

choco choco

This wouldn't achieve the goals of moving the security boundary away from the core product tho. It's not just about space.. they need to remove this huge congregation of people out of the esplanade and move the screening process to an area further away and diffuse the crowding by doing things in stages.

I don't know what the goals of moving the security boundary are. Why does it make sense to move the security across the street and then have guests walk through (at an elevated level) an unprotected area? Why is Dodger Stadium's security right next to the stadium but Disneyland's has to be farther away? How does moving the security across the street diffuse crowding? It'll still be a chokepoint. And (to see my asterisk) is anybody really convinced this security is doing anything?

I'm skeptical about designing for security. Not only does it almost inevitably lead to bad architecture, but the requirements for it are always hazy, wishy-washy and fear-mongering tosh.

Ismael Flores

I don't know what the goals of moving the security boundary are. Why does it make sense to move the security across the street and then have guests walk through (at an elevated level) an unprotected area? Why is Dodger Stadium's security right next to the stadium but Disneyland's has to be farther away? How does moving the security across the street diffuse crowding? It'll still be a chokepoint. And (to see my asterisk) is anybody really convinced this security is doing anything?

I'm skeptical about designing for security. Not only does it almost inevitably lead to bad architecture, but the requirements for it are always hazy, wishy-washy and fear-mongering tosh.

I think if we look at the improvement of the west side security change it would be easier to see how moving the east side one across the street makes more sense.

The space within the esplanade is limited and therefor less room for enough security tents. Crowds always formed and crowded between the tents and shuttle area creating and unsafe environment. The new security area is designed to double the amount of security stations and also allows for a much larger area to disperse crowds.

Another issue has always been early park opening hours. Crowds start going thru security tents and form large groups waiting for the gates to open inside the main esplanade. This has at times forced the security area to stop allowing people to go thru and then crowds back up even more within the confines of those security points and shuttle area. I could just imagine what it would be like if the shuttle area was to be removed and now there was only a wide walkway that led to the street.

Convinience is also a good reason for moving the security area. Before the west security tents were moved many guests that had things that were banned in the parks had to turn back head thru the crowded DTD area and then wait for a shuttle to go back to parking structure. The same constantly occurs on the east side. If the security points were closer to the parking garages guests have easier access to their cars.

Dispersement in case of an emergency is also a reasoning for moving the security points. If something was to happen it would be much easier to confine the situation in an area away from the main exits of both theme parks. The newly designed security area is far enough from the parks and surrounding hotels where less damage or injuries can occur. There is a reason why the new area is designed with security tents as Far East as possible and with an additional esplanade between them and the bridge and hotel properties.
As for the difference between Disneyland and Dodger stadium well let's just say that Dodger stadium is not on the top of the list for prime target.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think if we look at the improvement of the west side security change it would be easier to see how moving the east side one across the street makes more sense.

The space within the esplanade is limited and therefor less room for enough security tents. Crowds always formed and crowded between the tents and shuttle area creating and unsafe environment. The new security area is designed to double the amount of security stations and also allows for a much larger area to disperse crowds.

Another issue has always been early park opening hours. Crowds start going thru security tents and form large groups waiting for the gates to open inside the main esplanade. This has at times forced the security area to stop allowing people to go thru and then crowds back up even more within the confines of those security points and shuttle area. I could just imagine what it would be like if the shuttle area was to be removed and now there was only a wide walkway that led to the street.

Convinience is also a good reason for moving the security area. Before the west security tents were moved many guests that had things that were banned in the parks had to turn back head thru the crowded DTD area and then wait for a shuttle to go back to parking structure. The same constantly occurs on the east side. If the security points were closer to the parking garages guests have easier access to their cars.

Dispersement in case of an emergency is also a reasoning for moving the security points. If something was to happen it would be much easier to confine the situation in an area away from the main exits of both theme parks. The newly designed security area is far enough from the parks and surrounding hotels where less damage or injuries can occur. There is a reason why the new area is designed with security tents as Far East as possible and with an additional esplanade between them and the bridge and hotel properties.
As for the difference between Disneyland and Dodger stadium well let's just say that Dodger stadium is not on the top of the list for prime target.

Not only that but rumors are they want to expand DCA into the area that is currently being used as the Transit Hub and Security on the eastern side of the Esplanade. So moving both over to the Eastern Gateway allows for expansion into that area.

NobodyElse

Not only that but rumors are they want to expand DCA into the area that is currently being used as the Transit Hub and Security on the eastern side of the Esplanade. So moving both over to the Eastern Gateway allows for expansion into that area.

While Disney hasn't said anything "out loud" about this, it seems completely logical (and obvious to many of us) that that is their plan.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know what the goals of moving the security boundary are. Why does it make sense to move the security across the street and then have guests walk through (at an elevated level) an unprotected area?

The goal is not to provide specific 'protection' like cover/etc.. the point is you create separation between your screened people and your unscreened people. The further you can move your screening area from where your people congregate or the main elements of your setup are.. the better. This prevents people from 'storming the gate' and having a fat target right behind it and easy to reach.

Why is Dodger Stadium's security right next to the stadium but Disneyland's has to be farther away? How does moving the security across the street diffuse crowding? It'll still be a chokepoint.

Dodger Stadium doesn't have the space or buffer to move their perimeter out. You also notice the stadium has multiple gates, not just one. The area behind the screening is also not a big holding pen/crowding spot like the esplanade is. Moving security diffuses crowding because of the very word DIFFUSE. You don't have people congregating around security once they are through.. the crowd will not stack up, but rather be spread out at the rate people are able to move through the screening area. Now there is this huge area people will be spread out over that can hold way more people and slow them from all being at the park gate at once.

The big soft target of people crowded on the esplanade is now further away from your security screening point.. giving you a buffer to see and react to things.

DDLand

This project has been effectively spun by a series of small businesses. The Anaheim Resort District is bigger than the little strip of hotels along Harbor.

This project will benefit:
1) Anaheim ART- Anaheim's Public Bus Service that handles Hotels within the Resort District and brings guests to destinations throughout the Resort District. The Esplanade currently acts as the central terminus for all ART Buses. Removing the buses from the Current Disneyland Resort Transportation Plaza will give ART drastically more room for exchanges. The new terminal will have something like 19 dedicated Stops for full sized Busses, plus an additional dozen or so for smaller shuttles. They're going to be designed for the larger busses currently employed, with pull in spots and more room for turns. The spots will also have spaces for potential passengers to wait and linger with trees and benches available. It will be a considerable step up for customer experience and a huge win logistically. The change will also remove all the bus traffic from the heavily trafficked Harbor and onto the easier to deal with Manchester. This will improve the effectiveness of ART, Commuters, Taxis, etc. Of course no one mentions this project is a huge boon for the "Public Private Partnership."
2) Commuters. With the elimination of Thousands of Pedestrians Crossing Harbor, the reduction of the vast majority of Vehicle Traffic into Disneyland from Harbor, and the New Parking Structure designed specifically for Traffic Mitigation this helps Commuters. They also have eliminated another driveway off of Harbor thanks to the Pedestrain Bridge. I'm sure Anaheim Residents feel like Disneyland is a "Good Neighbor" when they're stuck in gridlock. This project helps them.
3) Gardenwalk, Prospera, and Good Hope International. The walkway creates a straight shot down to businesses that have invested or are investing hundreds of millions into the Anaheim Resort District. It will dramatically reduce the hassle of getting to Gardenwalk and the businesses surrounding it. Gardenwalk has specifically mentioned the Eastern Gateway Project as a potential driver of further growth for their business because it will so increase the ease of entrance. For a move designed to "keep people away from local businesses" this sure is being designed to benefit a whole host of businesses. Remember that thing about ART? Every Anaheim business that utilizes ART will become that much more attractive as their patrons no longer have to sit in a "Baroque Period" LA traffic nightmare waiting to go back to their room, instead they can sit under a "Canopy" of trees. Step up?
4) Disneyland Guests. Disneyland's parking nightmare will be drastically lessened. People will actually be able to get a spot and walk to the park without waiting forever in security.
5) Security will keep the park safer and better able to stop rioters, stampedes, and those seeking to do harm from ever reaching the sitting ducks that are the line to get into the parks. If the 24 hour party taught us anything, it's Disneyland Security needed more space. The current transportation center is an outmoded dinosaur that does not meet today's (or even the 1990s) needs of security.
6) The entire local economy. If Cars Land taught Anaheim anything, it's let Disney build. This project will let Disneyland reclaim a piece of property that can be used for expansion. That helps every Anaheim business.

Who it hurts:
1) Hotels along Harbor. I personally I suspect this is being overblown. A person who wasn't going to stay at Grand Californian isn't going to suddenly book just because they have to walk a couple hundred extra feet. Star Wars Experience is going to make hotel rooms in high demand. The one thing that should prompt concern from these hotels is this project puts them on more equal footing with places like The Anaheim and several other players down Harbor. They just are going to have to compete on customer experience instead... Too bad.
2) Restaurants on Harbor. They too are going to have to compete with places like Gardenwalk. They really should suffer, but at the same time should it be Disneyland's job to subsidize a McDonalds Drive Through in a pricy real estate market next to one of America's biggest tourist destinations? Chew on that while everyone else heads down to Gardenwalk.

Anaheim is moving towards consolidation, with big developers working together to ensure their outcome. These small family players are inefficient and will get swept away one way or another.

Now, to the talking point "this is Disneyland's plan to buy out Harbor!" I actually believed that for a while, but reality has set in on me. Disney has proven terribly shortsighted in its handling of its property in Anaheim. Instead of making investments before they throw a billion down on expansion, they buy years after when the property market is booming. They've been perpetually playing catch up. This is simply not some genius plan to take over Harbor (I am sure that some longtime TDA Employees are enjoying themselves a little), instead it's a plan to address a plethora of Transportation, Logistical, Security, and crowd flow issues. The idea Disney would through hundreds of millions on property and infrastructure to try to drive some Mom and Pop Motels out of Business doesn't make sense. If that's the end result, I'm sure they'll snatch them up, but I'm guessing Star Wars will bridge the gap nicely for those Harbor Whiners.

Also they've talked about "penalizing those who don't stay at Disney hotels." That too doesn't make sense as Disney has something like 2400 rooms and a handful of timeshares. Penalizing most of your visitors is obviously good business. Those rooms are now regularly commanding obscene prices. They're doing just fine even without targeting Harbor Boulevard. Apparently people like staying at Disney Hotels.

Finally there's the attractiveness of the bridge. Frankly I'm not sure what the issue is. It looks like a Disneyland Bridge that matches the design of the rest of the Resort District. It's designed to provide first Responders like Ambulances, Fire trucks, and Police Cars easy access onto the bridge and into the central plaza in case of emergencies. It's design reflects that and security concerns. The reveal of Space Mountain is going to be awesome.

This project is a good thing for almost everyone except some small businesses on Harbor who will continue to prosper even with the change. Security, Guest Flow, Customer Experience, Transportation, Logistics, and the compelling other needs should make this project a no brainer.

I just can't understand the stupidity of Anaheim's City Council. Tax exemptions and refunds I can understand, but a parking garage that will make Anaheim's next big boom possible is the straw that broke the camel's back? What?!?!

Oh politics...

Edit: I'll add that Disney should have done this earlier, but they didn't. Hurting guests, commuters, Cast Members, other businesses, and even the safety of the Resort District's Guests for a Dog and Pony Show is totally irresponsible.

Last edited:

TP2000

Great summary @DDLand . That's all it exactly, from TDA's stupidity and short-sighted cheapness, to Mayor Tait and the Anaheim City Council's grandstanding and bureaucratic buffoonery.

In related news, the next Anaheim Planning Commission meeting agenda on May 15th has been released, and Disney's Eastern Gateway project is nowhere to be found. Again. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

This will be the last meeting for May, so that means another month goes by and Disneyland won't be getting approval for the Eastern Gateway project. Another month for the tumbleweeds on the Eastern Gateway land to grow taller, and another month for construction on Star Wars Land to progress further. And another month for Michael Colglazier to ponder if he shouldn't have started this long delayed and desperately needed project a year or two sooner.

As each month of inaction ticks by, it makes me think Mr. Colglazier is kind of an idiot. Or at the very least he doesn't have a good grasp on what his business needs to succeed.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

At this current rate of progress, they could probably just include the USCIS property in the Phase 1 plans. :rolleyes:

Well, They've waited until Anaheim had the upper hand in brinksmanship: I don't believe there is any way Disney will get an occupancy permit for SWL without adequate parking. The clock is ticking and IMHO that's in Anaheim's favor.

TP2000

Well, They've waited until Anaheim had the upper hand in brinksmanship: I don't believe there is any way Disney will get an occupancy permit for SWL without adequate parking. The clock is ticking and IMHO that's in Anaheim's favor.

Yup. And Mayor Tait probably knows that. And Colglazier probably knows that Mayor Tait knows. You know?

Don't forget Mayor Tait is still FURIOUS over that ticket tax deal Disneyland rammed down their throats last year. He's not letting that one go.

What a mess. Still, this is mainly TDA's fault. And since Colglazier has been the President in TDA for over four years now, it's mostly his fault.

What was Michael Colglazier thinking? That they could just keep parking people on the grass for another decade?!?

This is why it's not a good idea to give your senior executives free valet parking while the paying customers duke it out over the last spot and the front line employees deal with the mess and have to park at Angel Stadium. Leadership 101 there, boys.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Yup. And Mayor Tait probably knows that. And Colglazier probably knows that Mayor Tait knows. You know?

Don't forget Mayor Tait is still FURIOUS over that ticket tax deal Disneyland rammed down their throats last year. He's not letting that one go.

What a mess. Still, this is mainly TDA's fault. And since Colglazier has been the President in TDA for over four years now, it's mostly his fault.

What was Michael Colglazier thinking? That they could just keep parking people on the grass for another decade?!?

This is why it's not a good idea to give your senior executives free valet parking while the paying customers duke it out over the last spot and the front line employees deal with the mess and have to park at Angel Stadium. Leadership 101 there, boys.

Really well said. Walt always taught leading by example. Now most TDA decision-makers (and most middle management) have no clue what their front-line employees actually do, or how they do it.

Phroobar

Typical of any large corporation. You get lots of happy talk from upper management but no matter how many employee surveys they send out nothing really changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom