Eat it Or Spit it

DABIGCHEEZ

Some folks do enjoy them... like a co worker of mine but not me.
h-CENTURY-EGG-640x362.jpg

So, what are they, anyway?
Long story short, century eggs are preserved eggs. They are also referred to as thousand-year eggs or millennium eggs, but are not preserved for a millennium, one thousand years, or even a century. The process actually takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, and involves soaking eggs in a saline solution. Duck, quail or chicken eggs can be used. The solution usually consists of clay and salt, but can also include ash, quicklime and rice hulls. It causes the yolk of the eggs to take on a creamy, cheese-like texture, and transforms the whites into a dark-colored jelly.

They can be eaten alone, but are often served with pickled ginger root. They can also accompany congee, or rice porridge.

drwadadli

Some folks do enjoy them... like a co worker of mine but not me.
h-CENTURY-EGG-640x362.jpg

So, what are they, anyway?
Long story short, century eggs are preserved eggs. They are also referred to as thousand-year eggs or millennium eggs, but are not preserved for a millennium, one thousand years, or even a century. The process actually takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, and involves soaking eggs in a saline solution. Duck, quail or chicken eggs can be used. The solution usually consists of clay and salt, but can also include ash, quicklime and rice hulls. It causes the yolk of the eggs to take on a creamy, cheese-like texture, and transforms the whites into a dark-colored jelly.

They can be eaten alone, but are often served with pickled ginger root. They can also accompany congee, or rice porridge.
Wow!!....Learn something new EVERY day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom