Guardians of the Galaxy - Vol. 2

Princess Leia

I'd be shocked if the Defenders made it in. Stunned shocked actually -- not only because it's a different tone than the MCU films, but that on top of everyone else they were able to find time for 4 more significant heroes.

I think I might have mentioned Captain Marvel before and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that they were going to introduce her in Infinity War similar to how they introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man before their solo movies...but if she isn't in Infinity War I'd actually be kind of relieved.

Same with Wasp/Ant-Man -- because if they are in Infinity War...and their movie comes out 2 months after, then even the promotional material for Ant-Man and the Wasp would kinda be a spoiler to Infinity War, right?

Which brings up another thing in that how can they market the next films when these are supposed to be universe-changing films?

We've got Infinity War next May, then Ant Man and the Wasp in July 2018.
Avengers 4 May 2019, then Spider-Man Homecoming sequel in July 2019...how do you promote a high school film two months after Thanos has an Infinity Gauntlet that could wipe out half the universe? :p
If the Defenders make it in, it'll be a 5-10 second cameo. Like, Peter has an internship at the Daily Bugle and takes a picture of 4 street heroes fighting in NYC.

I'm guessing that Infinity War will end with Thanos acquiring all 6 stones for the Gauntlet. Certain characters are definitely going to die depending on their relationship to the stones:
  • Space Stone (Tessaract)- on Asgard.
  • Mind Stone- literally keeping Vision alive (bye Vision, your death is going to absolutely wreck Wanda :cry:)
  • Reality Stone (the Aether)- with the Collector (bye Collector)
  • Power Stone- with the Nova Corps... So say goodbye to Glenn Close and maybe John C. Reilly
  • Time Stone- in Nepal? Maybe say goodbye to Wong, they're not killing off Stephen Strange
  • Soul Stone- will probably end up with the Grandmaster by the end of Thor 3, though he could give it to the Collector
If AMatW takes place during Infinity War, that might help a bit, though Feige has said he doesn't want the films to overlap anymore (outside of GOTG 2)

Some characters (like maybe Nick Fury and Hawkeye) could be killed off for real, but some (maybe a Guardian or two) could be killed then brought back to life? Idk, depends on their film contracts, I suppose.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
If the Defenders make it in, it'll be a 5-10 second cameo. Like, Peter has an internship at the Daily Bugle and takes a picture of 4 street heroes fighting in NYC.

I'm guessing that Infinity War will end with Thanos acquiring all 6 stones for the Gauntlet. Certain characters are definitely going to die depending on their relationship to the stones:
  • Space Stone (Tessaract)- on Asgard.
  • Mind Stone- literally keeping Vision alive (bye Vision, your death is going to absolutely wreck Wanda :cry:)
  • Reality Stone (the Aether)- with the Collector (bye Collector)
  • Power Stone- with the Nova Corps... So say goodbye to Glenn Close and maybe John C. Reilly
  • Time Stone- in Nepal? Maybe say goodbye to Wong, they're not killing off Stephen Strange
  • Soul Stone- will probably end up with the Grandmaster by the end of Thor 3, though he could give it to the Collector
If AMatW takes place during Infinity War, that might help a bit, though Feige has said he doesn't want the films to overlap anymore (outside of GOTG 2)

Some characters (like maybe Nick Fury and Hawkeye) could be killed off for real, but some (maybe a Guardian or two) could be killed then brought back to life? Idk, depends on their film contracts, I suppose.
The Soul Stone is a mystery to me because every Infinity Stone has been used as a Macguffin for the plots so that their powers can be fleshed out. The only film that would make sense in for a major plot point is Black Panther...which I wouldn't be surprised to see it there. Thor Ragnarok feels like too much is going on for it to be the main part of the story.

That would give Black Panther a reason to come out of Wakanda again to help in Infinity War. And it would make Thanos' trip to earth be extra important to grab the Mind, Time, and Soul Stones in one big battle. And with BP coming out 3 months before Infinity War it would be a direct lead in to the film!

Princess Leia

The Soul Stone is a mystery to me because every Infinity Stone has been used as a Macguffin for the plots so that their powers can be fleshed out. The only film that would make sense in for a major plot point is Black Panther...which I wouldn't be surprised to see it there. Thor Ragnarok feels like too much is going on for it to be the main part of the story.

That would give Black Panther a reason to come out of Wakanda again to help in Infinity War. And it would make Thanos' trip to earth be extra important to grab the Mind, Time, and Soul Stones in one big battle. And with BP coming out 3 months before Infinity War it would be a direct lead in to the film!
You know, when Infinity War comes out, I really hope Marvel creates a list of films that are 'mandatory' viewing for this one. IW will be the 19th movie in the MCU, and most people don't have time to watch (or re-watch) 18 films in the weeks leading up to it.
  1. Avengers (has 2 Infinity Stones in it, Thanos shows up at the end)
  2. Thor: the Dark World (has 1 Infinity stone... but is probably at the bottom of the MCU)
  3. GOTG (1 Infinity Stone, Thanos appears)
  4. Avengers: Age of Ultron (1 Infinity Stone, more Thanos)
  5. Captain America: Civil War (Avengers break up)
  6. Doctor Strange (1 Infinity Stone)
  7. Thor Ragnarok/Black Panther (whichever has the last Infinity Stone)
Sure, there's a lot of information that would be missed, but this is probably the best way to do it.

spacemt354

Chili's
You know, when Infinity War comes out, I really hope Marvel creates a list of films that are 'mandatory' viewing for this one. IW will be the 19th movie in the MCU, and most people don't have time to watch (or re-watch) 18 films in the weeks leading up to it.
  1. Avengers (has 2 Infinity Stones in it, Thanos shows up at the end)
  2. Thor: the Dark World (has 1 Infinity stone... but is probably at the bottom of the MCU)
  3. GOTG (1 Infinity Stone, Thanos appears)
  4. Avengers: Age of Ultron (1 Infinity Stone, more Thanos)
  5. Captain America: Civil War (Avengers break up)
  6. Doctor Strange (1 Infinity Stone)
  7. Thor Ragnarok/Black Panther (whichever has the last Infinity Stone)
Sure, there's a lot of information that would be missed, but this is probably the best way to do it.
That would be my list as well in that order too. Phase 1 was to introduce characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America...who were B-List unknowns compared to Spider-Man and stuff like that. But you really don't have to sit down from scratch to watch it all over again to understand Infinity War. Technically, you should be able to watch Avengers 1, 2, and then 3 -- and understand 3's story...but you'd miss the infinity stones that were in the solo films. I guess that's why they shoehorned the Thor vision scene into Ultron, so that people can say "oh - infinity stones" and go from there.

Princess Leia

That would be my list as well in that order too. Phase 1 was to introduce characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America...who were B-List unknowns compared to Spider-Man and stuff like that. But you really don't have to sit down from scratch to watch it all over again to understand Infinity War. Technically, you should be able to watch Avengers 1, 2, and then 3 -- and understand 3's story...but you'd miss the infinity stones that were in the solo films. I guess that's why they shoehorned the Thor vision scene into Ultron, so that people can say "oh - infinity stones" and go from there.
*Avengers, Avengers 2, Civil War- er, Avengers 2.5, and then Avengers 3... Probably should throw Guardians 1 in there too

spacemt354

Chili's
Just got back from the movie. Great humor, characters, and some touching moments that really set this apart from typical sequels.

I think I was mentioning this earlier but with sequels it's hard to feel smaller than the original, because the tendency is bigger = better. But the fact that it was self-contained for the most part and focused on the characters was a real positive for me.

If you're looking for a Act 1, 2, 3 plot -- you won't find it here. Which I guess could bother some people but frankly as long as I never lose interest in the characters that structure doesn't matter to me and it was refreshing too.

Only thing that I kinda wish had a little less time was the Ravagers, other than Yondu. There's a part in the middle that if it wasn't for Baby Groot it would have really dragged on.

Overall solid 9/10 for me! A touch under the original, but the original is one of my favorite Marvel movies -- since there are so many now (15) -- GotG 2 is in at least the top 7 for me (hard to rank it right after seeing it...need to see it 1 or 2 more times)

Princess Leia

Just got back from the movie. Great humor, characters, and some touching moments that really set this apart from typical sequels.

I think I was mentioning this earlier but with sequels it's hard to feel smaller than the original, because the tendency is bigger = better. But the fact that it was self-contained for the most part and focused on the characters was a real positive for me.

If you're looking for a Act 1, 2, 3 plot -- you won't find it here. Which I guess could bother some people but frankly as long as I never lose interest in the characters that structure doesn't matter to me and it was refreshing too.

Only thing that I kinda wish had a little less time was the Ravagers, other than Yondu. There's a part in the middle that if it wasn't for Baby Groot it would have really dragged on.

Overall solid 9/10 for me! A touch under the original, but the original is one of my favorite Marvel movies -- since there are so many now (15) -- GotG 2 is in at least the top 7 for me (hard to rank it right after seeing it...need to see it 1 or 2 more times)
Yeah I'm going to need to see it again to give it a proper ranking :p

Ugh, Ravagers. Like you said, other than Yondu, that plot sort of drags along.

I find it curious that you don't think that it had three different acts? I guess I saw it like this:
Act 1- Beginning to the journey to Ego's planet
Act 2- Separation of the Guardians and getting adjusted to Ego the living planet
Act 3- Revelation of Ego's true self to the end

spacemt354

Chili's
Yeah I'm going to need to see it again to give it a proper ranking :p

Ugh, Ravagers. Like you said, other than Yondu, that plot sort of drags along.

I find it curious that you don't think that it had three different acts? I guess I saw it like this:
Act 1- Beginning to the journey to Ego's planet
Act 2- Separation of the Guardians and getting adjusted to Ego the living planet
Act 3- Revelation of Ego's true self to the end
Me too haha I know it's definitely in the top half of films for me...not sure exactly where yet. And yeah I guess the Acts could be like that, it just felt different than a typical movie setup to me.
The smaller plot made it feel like there weren't solid transitions between acts. Unlike the first film where we bounced around from planet to planet, about 30 mins in once Peter, Drax, and Gamora landed on Ego's Planet...the rest of the film took place there for them, which was different to me than typical space movies that bounce around and have an Act I planet, Act II planet, Act III planet. I think that was why it felt like there wasn't definitive acts to me (even though you could probably distinguish them):)

SosoDude

Just got back from seeing gotg2 and I loved it. Was it perfect? No. Still, it was very entertaining and kept my attention. I stayed away from spoilers and really didn't have much of an idea what the plot would be. I was almost scared that Groot would be too much of a gimic and detract from the movie(since he seems to be in a ton of different tv ads) but his usage was well ballanced. I give this two thumbs up!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Just got back! I really enjoyed it. Lot's of laughs and heart. I didn't tear up though which I am known to do with frequency. I loved the way the different relationships were done. Everyone moved forward but it wasn't a huge leap. I read that his movie takes place just a few months after the first movie so we are in 2015ish. I loved baby Groot. Drax was great as well very funny.

Disneyfanman

Thumbs up here. I don't usually like the first sequel in a series. Often the stuff I most enjoyed, the "feeling" that made a movie special, is gone for me in the second film. Once and awhile I find an exception. For me, GoG2 was just as special (maybe even better) than the first film. The theme of family really resonated with me. I thought there was just enough Baby Groot. And I thought Yondu stole the movie.

Was the pacing uneven? I didn't think so. The Ravergers set up the finale for me, and it was more powerful for me because of the time spent there.

I like action but only if it is story driven. I get bored easily if the characters never slow down. I didn't like the last Borne movie for that reason. G2 got it just right for me. It WAS darn near perfect for me, and an example of what comic hero movies can aspire to be. It's one of my favorite Marvel Movies along side of Avengers, and CA 2.

The choice of the Family you have vs. the Family you choose? Well done James Gunn.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This one won't have the big pull of the first.. that's for sure.

Felt the comedy was too forced where it didn't even feel natural.. especially in the first third of the film. It was gag stuff and not character building IMO.

I was really put off by the casting of some.. like Stallone.. really? Are we going to make this into the Expendables or Road Trip? Where its just about how many names we can throw into the mix? That whole Ravenger 'exile' plot line felt completely disjointed to me for the rest of the film. They could have given Yondu's story the same heart strings without as much screen time to it.

The film left me feeling like Empire did... it wrapped up some ends.. but didn't feel like closure at all.

Certainly more emotional than other superhero films are typically.. that part was pretty good in terms of being strong and not just sappy. No extra contrived 'love stories' here.

Early part of the film felt like we'd be doing green screen fight scenes everywhere... seemed to lack enough grit to make it seem like a real universe.

Movie was good.. but not sure I'd recommend it to just anyone. Maybe an 8/10 for me.. but I think you need to be a Marvel fan to like it more than average. Not as welcoming as the original IMO.

fractal

This one won't have the big pull of the first.. that's for sure.

Felt the comedy was too forced where it didn't even feel natural.. especially in the first third of the film. It was gag stuff and not character building IMO.

I was really put off by the casting of some.. like Stallone.. really? Are we going to make this into the Expendables or Road Trip? Where its just about how many names we can throw into the mix? That whole Ravenger 'exile' plot line felt completely disjointed to me for the rest of the film. They could have given Yondu's story the same heart strings without as much screen time to it.

The film left me feeling like Empire did... it wrapped up some ends.. but didn't feel like closure at all.

Certainly more emotional than other superhero films are typically.. that part was pretty good in terms of being strong and not just sappy. No extra contrived 'love stories' here.

Early part of the film felt like we'd be doing green screen fight scenes everywhere... seemed to lack enough grit to make it seem like a real universe.

Movie was good.. but not sure I'd recommend it to just anyone. Maybe an 8/10 for me.. but I think you need to be a Marvel fan to like it more than average. Not as welcoming as the original IMO.

I agree with a lot of this. Overall I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would, particularly the interaction between Gamora and Nebula.

The sophomoric humor also felt forced and could have done without it.

Visuals were stunning. Main plot was solid and they did a great job with how it was filmed.

Part of me liked the bringing together of all the players at the end, while another part of me thought it was a little too much "kumbaya".

In the end, highly entertaining and worthwhile seeing on screen.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I was really impressed on how much everything was framed and shot like a panel from a comic book. If you wanted a super hero comic book coming to life in a movie... this did it.
I was trying to figure out how to describe how the film was done and did not think to relate it to a comic book. I told Mrs Hakuna that I thought it felt choppy but that choppy wasnt the right word. Filmed like a comic book makes total sense!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom