Guardians of the Galaxy - Vol. 2

Princess Leia

Okay, here are some non spoiler things:
  • Mantis is an absolute gem. The MCU needed a character like Mantis, and I'm so glad she's a part of the series now
  • Every time Dave Bautista laughs I'm pretty sure an angel gets its wings
  • Baby Groot- part woobie, part insanely cute little dancer
  • Groot, Nebula, and Yondu had some of the saddest scenes, IMO (though Peter also had his scenes too, I just felt like Nebula and Yondu sort of took the cake for the way they talked about it)
  • Brandy (you're a fine girl) will be in your head. I can't get it out of mine
  • An overabundance of characters led to Gamora having the least to do out of the 5 Guardians (plus Nebula, Yondu, Mantis, Ego, and The Sovereign)
  • Excellent villain(s) (minus the Ravagers... ughhhh)
  • I am pretty sure that this was the first Disney movie to flat out talk about a certain part of the male anatomy in anatomically correct terms
  • The movie got pretty dark
  • Parts in the middle (with the Ravagers) draaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggeeeeeeeddddddddddddd
  • I'm giving this movie a solid B. Could have been an A if that Ravager mess was cleaned up.
  • Title credits scene was well done (once again)
Spoilers
  • I have not been that surprised by a twist in a Marvel movie since Winter Soldier
  • There was definitely some foreshadowing that not all was right, but I did not expect to hear 'his children' come out of Mantis's mouth, noooooope
  • Ego's body when it was either disintegrating, or reshaping itself, or when it had chunks missing- again, noooooooooope. Nightmare fuel right there
  • There was more Stallone than I was expecting?
  • Ditto with Hasselhoff
  • I really enjoyed the secondary vilains, The Sovereign
  • Seth Green got a credit for voicing Howard the Duck this time
  • The Ravager mutiny was a) dark and b) took up too much time. That trail of bodies floating out from the airlock was unsettling
  • Groot should be a fully formed tree again by Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers 4
  • No Infinity Stone here, so the last one will either show up in Thor 3 or at the beginning of Infinity War

Last edited:

Princess Leia

As mentioned before, there are 5 post credits scenes. I'd say that 2/5 set up Guardians vol. 3 (or whatever they choose to call it)
  1. There is immediately a scene with Sean Gunn's Ravager character trying to use the arrow device
  2. Sylvester Stallone's character meets with others- the original Guardians line up
  3. Peter deals with a now-teenage Groot
  4. Ayesha shows off Adam Warlock's sarcophogus
  5. Stan Lee scene
The credits were a delight. All of the characters from the film have little dance scenes on the side... including Jeff Goldblum's Ragnarok character? I have a feeling that something was filmed to tie this movie in with Thor, but it was cut. The other option is that James Gunn knows how much the internet loves Jeff Goldblum, so he knew that Goldblum dancing in full costume and make up would bring a smile to people's faces.

One other spoiler:
The movie had a very somber ending, sort of like Empire Strikes Back (not saying that this movie is ESB). If it ended without all of the post-credits scenes, it'd be a bit of a downer. Luckily, there were 5 extra scenes to make it jovial again.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
As mentioned before, there are 5 post credits scenes. I'd say that 2/5 set up Guardians vol. 3 (or whatever they choose to call it)
  1. There is immediately a scene with Sean Gunn's Ravager character trying to use the arrow device
  2. Sylvester Stallone's character meets with others- the original Guardians line up
  3. Peter deals with a now-teenage Groot
  4. Ayesha shows off Adam Warlock's sarcophogus
  5. Stan Lee scene
The credits were a delight. All of the characters from the film have little dance scenes on the side... including Jeff Goldblum's Ragnarok character? I have a feeling that something was filmed to tie this movie in with Thor, but it was cut. The other option is that James Gunn knows how much the internet loves Jeff Goldblum, so he knew that Goldblum dancing in full costume and make up would bring a smile to people's faces.

One other spoiler:
The movie had a very somber ending, sort of like Empire Strikes Back (not saying that this movie is ESB). If it ended without all of the post-credits scenes, it'd be a bit of a downer. Luckily, there were 5 extra scenes to make it jovial again.
Interesting about Goldblum.

Princess Leia

Interesting about Goldblum.
Yeah, that felt odd lol.

However, some people have pointed out that the DCA Guardians Tower could show up in Thor: Ragnarok
ZZ363FD1C5-700x289.jpg

So, maybe not so odd after all?

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay, here are some non spoiler things:
  • Mantis is an absolute gem. The MCU needed a character like Mantis, and I'm so glad she's a part of the series now
  • Every time Dave Bautista laughs I'm pretty sure an angel gets its wings
  • Baby Groot- part woobie, part insanely cute little dancer
  • Groot, Nebula, and Yondu had some of the saddest scenes, IMO (though Peter also had his scenes too, I just felt like Nebula and Yondu sort of took the cake for the way they talked about it)
  • Brandy (you're a fine girl) will be in your head. I can't get it out of mine
  • An overabundance of characters led to Gamora having the least to do out of the 5 Guardians (plus Nebula, Yondu, Mantis, Ego, and The Sovereign)
  • Excellent villain(s) (minus the Ravagers... ughhhh)
  • I am pretty sure that this was the first Disney movie to flat out talk about a certain part of the male anatomy in anatomically correct terms
  • The movie got pretty dark
  • Parts in the middle (with the Ravagers) draaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggeeeeeeeddddddddddddd
  • I'm giving this movie a solid B. Could have been an A if that Ravager mess was cleaned up.
  • Title credits scene was well done (once again)
Spoilers
  • I have not been that surprised by a twist in a Marvel movie since Winter Soldier
  • There was definitely some foreshadowing that not all was right, but I did not expect to hear 'his children' come out of Mantis's mouth, noooooope
  • Ego's body when it was either disintegrating, or reshaping itself, or when it had chunks missing- again, noooooooooope. Nightmare fuel right there
  • There was more Stallone than I was expecting?
  • Ditto with Hasselhoff
  • I really enjoyed the secondary vilains, The Sovereign
  • Seth Green got a credit for voicing Howard the Duck this time
  • The Ravager mutiny was a) dark and b) took up too much time. That trail of bodies floating out from the airlock was unsettling
  • Groot should be a fully formed tree again by Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers 4
  • No Infinity Stone here, so the last one will either show up in Thor 3 or at the beginning of Infinity War
Nice review! -- going to see it sometime this weekend! I've been looking forward to Thor and Spidey a bit more than GotG 2 this year, but I'm still pumped for this movie and I'm also glad it seems like this film isn't just a filler movie in prep for Infinity War. It could have easily turned into that and I'm kinda glad it doesn't seem that way.

spacemt354

Chili's
Yeah, that felt odd lol.

However, some people have pointed out that the DCA Guardians Tower could show up in Thor: Ragnarok
ZZ363FD1C5-700x289.jpg

So, maybe not so odd after all?
They're both going to be Elders of the Universe from what I've read so I wouldn't be surprised if the Collector shows up in Thor, or they both show up in Infinity War.

Princess Leia

Nice review! -- going to see it sometime this weekend! I've been looking forward to Thor and Spidey a bit more than GotG 2 this year, but I'm still pumped for this movie and I'm also glad it seems like this film isn't just a filler movie in prep for Infinity War. It could have easily turned into that and I'm kinda glad it doesn't seem that way.
Guardians and Thor were the two I was looking forward to (and Wonder Woman for DC, which really should have had a preview in my theater, but didn't for some reason); despite Tom Holland being the perfect Spider-Man, I just can't get excited for that movie :(

Thanos was mentioned a bit (Nebula & Gamora are his adopted daughters, and they talk about their childhood with him at different times), as was the Infinity Stone from GotG 1, but I think most people could probably watch this movie without watching the first. The nice thing about the Guardians films is that they really stand on their own. Unlike Civil War (in which you probably should have watched 7 prior movies: Iron Man, IM 2, IM 3, Cap 1, Cap 2, Avengers 1 & 2), you can just sort of jump right into the story. And that is so refreshing.

Comparisons between 1 & 2:
  • Better villain? Definitely Vol. 2, hands down
  • Better music? GOTG 1
  • Better flow? Probably the first one, though I guess they both had some problems in the center parts of their movies
  • Cuteness- Vol. 2
  • Darkness- Vol. 2
  • Sadness- Vol. 2, but a part of me is still not over Groot's sacrifice in the first movie
  • Team cohesiveness- Gotg1
  • Best use of Gamora- GotG1 (she really had the least to do of the Original 5 in the sequel)
Looking forward to discussing this more when you see the movie :happy:

spacemt354

Chili's
Guardians and Thor were the two I was looking forward to (and Wonder Woman for DC, which really should have had a preview in my theater, but didn't for some reason); despite Tom Holland being the perfect Spider-Man, I just can't get excited for that movie :(

Thanos was mentioned a bit (Nebula & Gamora are his adopted daughters, and they talk about their childhood with him at different times), as was the Infinity Stone from GotG 1, but I think most people could probably watch this movie without watching the first. The nice thing about the Guardians films is that they really stand on their own. Unlike Civil War (in which you probably should have watched 7 prior movies: Iron Man, IM 2, IM 3, Cap 1, Cap 2, Avengers 1 & 2), you can just sort of jump right into the story. And that is so refreshing.

Comparisons between 1 & 2:
  • Better villain? Definitely Vol. 2, hands down
  • Better music? GOTG 1
  • Better flow? Probably the first one, though I guess they both had some problems in the center parts of their movies
  • Cuteness- Vol. 2
  • Darkness- Vol. 2
  • Sadness- Vol. 2, but a part of me is still not over Groot's sacrifice in the first movie
  • Team cohesiveness- Gotg1
  • Best use of Gamora- GotG1 (she really had the least to do of the Original 5 in the sequel)
Looking forward to discussing this more when you see the movie :happy:
Ah getting excited! Seems like this one pulled on the emotions moreso than anything else.

I remember back before Age of Ultron Joss Whedon was interviewed saying he wanted a character driven film and something smaller than the first Avengers. I don't think that really happened haha because they ended up fighting the same faceless army and crammed so many easter eggs for other films. Guardians doesn't have that problem and that's good!

Princess Leia

Ah getting excited! Seems like this one pulled on the emotions moreso than anything else.

I remember back before Age of Ultron Joss Whedon was interviewed saying he wanted a character driven film and something smaller than the first Avengers. I don't think that really happened haha because they ended up fighting the same faceless army and crammed so many easter eggs for other films. Guardians doesn't have that problem and that's good!
I think Whedon got screwed over because of the 'big picture' that Marvel/Disney had. It's actually why I'm a little scared of Infinity War and Avengers 4. Between the two movies, I think it was said that 60-some Marvel characters would show up. Granted, I think a lot will be cannon fodder (Collector, Grandmaster if he survives Ragnarok) in the first movie, but still. It's going to be very hard when you have to introduce a lot of characters to each other.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think Whedon got screwed over because of the 'big picture' that Marvel/Disney had. It's actually why I'm a little scared of Infinity War and Avengers 4. Between the two movies, I think it was said that 60-some Marvel characters would show up. Granted, I think a lot will be cannon fodder (Collector, Grandmaster if he survives Ragnarok) in the first movie, but still. It's going to be very hard when you have to introduce a lot of characters to each other.
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about Infinity War and 4. I have no reason to really doubt Marvel but considering the last time they crammed too much in was Age of Ultron I'm a little worried.

Civil War ironically had more characters than Ultron and felt better paced. So maybe it's the Russo's approach...but even so...it's the cast of Civil War, plus Dr. Strange, the Guardians, and introducing Captain Marvel as well as other cosmic characters. That's much bigger than Civil War and it's not like they have an extra hour of screentime..it has to fit in relatively the same time-period as Civil War with 2-3x more characters. :eek:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about Infinity War and 4. I have no reason to really doubt Marvel but considering the last time they crammed too much in was Age of Ultron I'm a little worried.

Civil War ironically had more characters than Ultron and felt better paced. So maybe it's the Russo's approach...but even so...it's the cast of Civil War, plus Dr. Strange, the Guardians, and introducing Captain Marvel as well as other cosmic characters. That's much bigger than Civil War and it's not like they have an extra hour of screentime..it has to fit in relatively the same time-period as Civil War with 2-3x more characters. :eek:
Could they not phase them in over the 2 films (as well as culling a few)

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm guessing some of the side characters like Wong will show up briefly in one of the two films, so their high number of characters could just be a result of several small 30 second blips of minor characters but they're in the film roster.

But most of the main characters have stated they are in both...though actually the thing that I'm most worried about is Thanos living up to the hype. In order for this film to work the villain has to be good, which isn't one of Marvel's strong points but I'm glad to hear that the Guardians 2 villain was good which gives me hope they can give cosmic villains some flavor!

Princess Leia

Get ready for some long lists...
Infinity War (confirmed, bold for the confirmed appearance for this film only):
  1. Iron Man
  2. Thanos
  3. Captain America
  4. Bucky Barnes
  5. The Falcon
  6. Scarlet Witch
  7. Black Widow
  8. Hulk
  9. Vision
  10. Nick Fury
  11. Maria Hill
  12. Thor
  13. Loki
  14. Black Panther
  15. Hawkeye
  16. Dr. Strange
  17. Star Lord
  18. Gamora
  19. Nebula
  20. Drax
  21. Groot
  22. Rocket
  23. Mantis
  24. The Collector
  25. Spider-Man
  26. Wong
And that's just those who are confirmed.
Avengers 4 (confirmed, bold for the confirmed appearance for this film only):
  1. Hope Van Dyne/Wasp (not going to be in Infinity War, will introduce her powers in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
  2. Iron Man
  3. Thanos
  4. Loki
  5. Thor
  6. Dr. Strange
  7. Captain America
  8. Star Lord
  9. Gamora
  10. Hawkeye
  11. Scarlet Witch
  12. Nick Fury
  13. Falcon
  14. Nebula
  15. Spider-Man
So, who does that leave in the unknown category?
  1. Ant-Man
  2. Hank Pym
  3. Janet Van Dyne (if she shows up in Ant-Man & the Wasp, I'm sure she and Hank will show up briefly in Avengers 4)
  4. Rhodey
  5. Erik Selvig
  6. Sif & the Warriors 3
  7. Valkyrie (she's going to be in at least one of the films)
  8. Sharon Carter
  9. Betty Ross (have heard it's possible that Liv could be back for a cameo)
  10. Spider-Man side characters
  11. Black Panther
  12. Martin Freeman's character in Black Panther
  13. Captain Marvel
  14. The Grandmaster
  15. Whoever Peter Dinklage is apparently portraying
  16. any of the Inhumans
  17. Daredevil
  18. Jessica Jones
  19. Luke Cage
  20. Iron Fist
The Defenders and Inhumans are the iffy ones, since they're part of the MCU TV department.

Honestly, unless these movies are 3 hours long, idk how the Russo brothers are going to do it. Some of the characters are going to have roles that amount to cameos, because how could they not??? Personally, I am hoping that Tony Stark has a smaller role, since he's had major roles in 3 Iron Man films, 2 Avengers films, and 1 Captain America film, and potentially a pretty decent sized supporting character role in a Spider-Man film. If characters get killed off for real in Infinity War (... it was nice knowing you, Vision), I hope that they get a decent amount of screen time to make their deaths have an impact.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I'm guessing some of the side characters like Wong will show up briefly in one of the two films, so their high number of characters could just be a result of several small 30 second blips of minor characters but they're in the film roster.

But most of the main characters have stated they are in both...though actually the thing that I'm most worried about is Thanos living up to the hype. In order for this film to work the villain has to be good, which isn't one of Marvel's strong points but I'm glad to hear that the Guardians 2 villain was good which gives me hope they can give cosmic villains some flavor!
I think that supporting characters like Wong, Sharon Carter, and Aunt May (not confirmed, but it makes sense for her to be in one of the movies) will have very brief roles. Something like "Here is Main Character A talking about ______ with Minor Character Q from their respective movies. Oh, Main Character B is here to take Main Character A to the action. Goodbye Minor Character Q." Kind of like Pepper Potts in The Avengers.

spacemt354

Chili's
Get ready for some long lists...
Infinity War (confirmed, bold for the confirmed appearance for this film only):
  1. Iron Man
  2. Thanos
  3. Captain America
  4. Bucky Barnes
  5. The Falcon
  6. Scarlet Witch
  7. Black Widow
  8. Hulk
  9. Vision
  10. Nick Fury
  11. Maria Hill
  12. Thor
  13. Loki
  14. Black Panther
  15. Hawkeye
  16. Dr. Strange
  17. Star Lord
  18. Gamora
  19. Nebula
  20. Drax
  21. Groot
  22. Rocket
  23. Mantis
  24. The Collector
  25. Spider-Man
  26. Wong
And that's just those who are confirmed.
Avengers 4 (confirmed, bold for the confirmed appearance for this film only):
  1. Hope Van Dyne/Wasp (not going to be in Infinity War, will introduce her powers in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
  2. Iron Man
  3. Thanos
  4. Loki
  5. Thor
  6. Dr. Strange
  7. Captain America
  8. Star Lord
  9. Gamora
  10. Hawkeye
  11. Scarlet Witch
  12. Nick Fury
  13. Falcon
  14. Nebula
  15. Spider-Man
So, who does that leave in the unknown category?
  1. Ant-Man
  2. Hank Pym
  3. Janet Van Dyne (if she shows up in Ant-Man & the Wasp, I'm sure she and Hank will show up briefly in Avengers 4)
  4. Rhodey
  5. Erik Selvig
  6. Sif & the Warriors 3
  7. Sharon Carter
  8. Betty Ross (have heard it's possible that Liv could be back for a cameo)
  9. Spider-Man side characters
  10. Black Panther
  11. Martin Freeman's character in Black Panther
  12. Captain Marvel
  13. The Grandmaster
  14. Whoever Peter Dinklage is apparently portraying
  15. any of the Inhumans
  16. Daredevil
  17. Jessica Jones
  18. Luke Cage
  19. Iron Fist
The Defenders and Inhumans are the iffy ones, since they're part of the MCU TV department.

Honestly, unless these movies are 3 hours long, idk how the Russo brothers are going to do it. Some of the characters are going to have roles that amount to cameos, because how could they not??? Personally, I am hoping that Tony Stark has a smaller role, since he's had major roles in 3 Iron Man films, 2 Avengers films, and 1 Captain America film, and potentially a pretty decent sized supporting character role in a Spider-Man film. If characters get killed off for real in Infinity War (... it was nice knowing you, Vision), I hope that they get a decent amount of screen time to make their deaths have an impact.
I'd be shocked if the Defenders made it in. Stunned shocked actually -- not only because it's a different tone than the MCU films, but that on top of everyone else they were able to find time for 4 more significant heroes.

I think I might have mentioned Captain Marvel before and I could have sworn I saw somewhere that they were going to introduce her in Infinity War similar to how they introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man before their solo movies...but if she isn't in Infinity War I'd actually be kind of relieved. Save it for her own film, don't cram her intro into another one.

Same with Wasp/Ant-Man -- because if they are in Infinity War...and their movie comes out 2 months after, then even the promotional material for Ant-Man and the Wasp would kinda be a spoiler to Infinity War, right?

Which brings up another thing in that how can they market the next films when these are supposed to be universe-changing films?

We've got Infinity War next May, then Ant Man and the Wasp in July 2018.
Avengers 4 May 2019, then Spider-Man Homecoming sequel in July 2019...how do you promote a high school film two months after Thanos has an Infinity Gauntlet that could wipe out half the universe? :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom