Rock (Dwayne Johnson) and WDI Partner on Jungle Cruise Updates

Rich T

YeaI think that The elephant bathing pool, hippos, and Veldt are untouchable. Although I wouldn't mind a refresh of the latter two (better AAs etc.) and maybe the elephant pool too but I'd be scared at losing some of the charm. Everything else isn't very memorable for me for whatever reason.

Just making sure, Is the scene with lion, zebras, hyenas, rhino etc what you refer to as the veldt?

Also, what scene is the lost safari? Is that the gorillas or monkeys?

EDIT: Trader Sam is memorable too. Forgot about him. (Wait...that doesn't make sense)
Yes, that's the Veldt. And Lost Safari is the explorer/rhino/world's-worst-joke scene. :)

mickEblu

Yes, that's the Veldt. And Lost Safari is the explorer/rhino/world's-worst-joke scene. :)

Gotcha. The list safari and veldt are so close together I considered them to be part of the same scene.

Lol you must be taking about ... "he got the point...in the end."

Rich T

As long as they keep the title song. To be honest it's the only song I know. I've only seen it 3 or 4 times. I appreciate it more for its history.
Let me refresh your memory. LLLLLET'S ALL SINGGGGGG LIKE THE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRDIEEES SIIIIIIIING...

...and the rest is the Hawaiian War Chant.

mickEblu

Let me refresh your memory. LLLLLET'S ALL SINGGGGGG LIKE THE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRDIEEES SIIIIIIIING...

lol that's pretty much exactly what I remember. The title song and when the room goes dark and tikis take "center stage."

Well that and Joses unforgettable (to put it nicely) accent.

mickEblu

I think both the Enchanted Tiki room and Jungle Cruise could use a refresh. I think you keep the most memorable parts/ tones and redo the rest. Hopefully with higher quality AAs that are just as charming.

This approach gets harder when you think of some of the other classics like POTC and HM. Maybe some attractions are just near perfect and have stood the test of time? Which makes me think is it even possible to WOW people anymore? I'm thinking when people first rode HM they must have been losing their minds in 1969. I can't remember the last time I was WOW'd at any park. Seeing the RSR rock work for the first time comes to mind. Maybe riding Soarin Over California for the first time in 2001. Don't get wrong, there are many fun and amusing attractions. But I'm talking WOW like that Skelton to Jack Sparrow effect at Shanghai...and most of that attraction really.

How could POTC from 50 years ago still be the definitive theme park attraction when it comes to theme/ immersion/ atmosphere and placemaking? I think a lot of it has to do with the over reliance on screens these days because they are cheaper and easy to update obviously. This and just that people in general are harder to impress when we have all sorts technology at our finger tips. Which is even more of a reason why a greater emphasis should be placed on physical sets and AAs because they cannot be recreated at home.

Last edited:

Rich T

I think both the Enchanted Tiki room and Jungle Cruise could use a refresh. I think you keep the most memorable parts/ tones and redo the rest. Hopefully with higher quality AAs that are just as charming.

This approach gets harder when you think of some of the other classics like POTC and HM. Maybe some attractions are just near perfect and have stood the test of time? Which makes me think is it even possible to WOW people anymore? I'm thinking when people first rode HM they must have been losing their minds in 1969. I can't remember the last time I was WOW'd at any park. Seeing the RSR rock work for the first time comes to mind. Maybe riding Soarin Over California for the first time in 2001. Don't get wrong, there are many fun and amusing attractions. But I'm talking WOW like that Skelton to Jack Sparrow effect at Shanghai...and most of that attraction really.

How could POTC from 50 years ago still be the definitive theme park attraction when it comes to theme/ immersion/ atmosphere and placemaking? I think a lot of it has to do with the over reliance on screens these days because they are cheaper and easy to update obviously. This and just that people in general are harder to impress when you have all sorts technology at our finger tips.
DL's Pirates is a lightning-in-a-bottle masterpiece (only slightly hurt by the movie tweaks) because it's the work of Marc Davis, Claude Coates, Blaine Gibson, Alice Davis, George Bruns, Xavier Atencio, Thurl Ravenscroft, Paul Frees, J. Pat O'Malley and many other of the most talented people ever to work at Disney, all working to create the best adventure possible in a limited amount of space...with enough time and money to do (and redo) it right. I think the #1 thing that has made the attraction connect to so many people is Marc Davis and Blaine Gibson's character designs: the pirates are just so memorable and "alive." Add to that the beauty of the Blue Bayou, the thrill of that first drop and the sheer scale of it all. And, like you said, very little reliance on projections (a few clouds here and there). Disney will never again build a ride full of so many large AAs and physical sets, let alone one that lasts nearly twenty minutes.

Aside from the Cars Land rockwork, the last time I was "wowed" by anything at Disney was the first time I saw the Sheriff AA on Radiator Springs Racers. He genuinely and convincingly looked like a full-sized car that had come to life--something I'd never seen before. In fact, I think I literally said "Wow" out loud. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
If POTC were built today, does anyone have any idea how much money something like that would take to build?

But your question happens to bring up a good point. $$$$. I know inflation is a thing but I'd imagine it's more or less relative to whatever it cost to build in the 60's.

Well, and take it with a grain of salt, according to the internet it cost $8 Million to build PotC back in 1967. That would be about $58.7 Million in today's dollar. I doubt that you would be able to do it for that. So I would imagine if you take that number and multiply it by 4, you'd have the right number.

Easier answer, how much did PotC in Shanghai cost, that would be a better estimate.

D

Deleted member 107043

Oh yeah, well I'm old too and LOVE that music! :D I find it timeless and delightfully of its time...Jose's accent could maybe use some... I dunno, can that be made slightly less offensive with Auto-Tune? :D

LOL! Seriously though... All the Frank Sinatra references and cheesy German and Hispanic stereotypes make me cringe every time I go in there. I'm all for Disney nostalgia and honoring DL's past, but too many things about the Tiki show are just downright embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 107043

I know all the songs by heart. I feel like I've seen the show at least one hundred times starting with the Tropical Serenade at the Magic Kingdom back in 1975. Back then, when we were kids, we used to call the show Walt Disney's Enchanted Stinky Room and we'd replace the word 'tiki' with 'stinky' when singing the theme song lol.

Rich T

LOL! Seriously though... All the Frank Sinatra references and cheesy German and Hispanic stereotypes make me cringe every time I go in there. I'm all for Disney nostalgia and honoring DL's past, but too many things about the Tiki show are just downright embarrassing.
FRANK SINATRA?!? It's Jose's very best Bing Crosby imitation! :D The german voice doesn't bug me just because it's Thurl-Human-Subwoofer-Ravenscroft... one of my voice-work heroes. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom