New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe I didn't comprehend your original statement:

It seemed like you were saying that the moving walkways were dropped either due to budget or safety and maintenance.

Now you're explaining to us that there's budget, and then there's budget. I contend that when it comes down to making a final decision, both are and should be taken into consideration.

The rumors were that it was dropped from the project due to reduction of the overall project budget which is "Construction" and falls under Capital Expenditures. This does not take into account the Operations budget of the Parks and Resort division. To you it might be the same thing and should be taken into consideration. But when it comes to Corporations and their P&Ls they are not the same thing. They are VERY different line items.

TP2000

If they build moving sidewalks I will pass Disneyland coming from the 5S. Get off the freeway, back on the 5N and exit again just to get to that parking structure.

You could do that, sure. Or, you could just take the southbound Disney Way offramp and turn right into the structure from Disney Way. As seen in this map of the new facility, if it's ever built. :)

obq3sz-disneyparkinglot2.gif

TP2000

Ugh...that map. Just a reminder how cool the resort could have been.

WDI even built a model of the "Resort Expansion" as it looked in the early 1990's, before the budget cutting took over in the mid 90's.

Here it is zoomed in looking from the east, where the PeopleMover station drops you off inbetween the parks after it zips you over from the Eastern Gateway parking structures. With a bridge over Harbor Blvd.; even in 1992 it would have made it harder to get to IHOP and Denny's.
westcot2_publicesplanade.jpg

Bring back the moving sidewalks!!!!!

The moving sidewalks were cut out by Colglazier and his sharp pencil boys a year ago, per Micechat. But back in the 1990's the moving sidewalks were just to move you within the parking structure to the perimeter of the structure, where you would step into a PeopleMover car and glide over that S-Curve track crossing Harbor Blvd. as shown above, landing in the Esplanade.

When you look at what could be done, and what was planned 25 years ago for this exact same concept and location, the current Eastern Gateway with a concrete skybridge and a long walk really does seem like a cheap cop-out by Disney.

I wonder if the Anaheim City Council has ever seen these old plans? The current council members would have been in high school or college when this was being shown to the Anaheim City Council circa 1992. Mayor Tait was a young lawyer in '92 and hadn't yet even moved to Anaheim.

Here's the overall model that WDI was touting to local and state politicians in the early 1990's. Notice the two huge parking structures on the east side connected via PeopleMover, roughly where the proposed Eastern Gateway is with its moving sidewalks removed by Colglazier in 2016. The northern structure on the model is the current Eastern Gateway property, the southern structure is where GardenWalk currently sits.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Mayor Tait and the City Council even know this plan existed 25 years ago, and how much money Disney was saying they would invest in the city that long ago???

westcot2_modeloverview.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Constance

If the Harbor Blvd convenience is taken away by this project, I guess I'll either have to stay on site or stop going all together. And I really can't see wasting money on an onsite hotel.

One of the best things about the resort , is how close it is to the hotels. We just don't want to spend ALL day long in the parks, and If I have to walk a mile or take a time consuming shuttle every time I go to or from the parks, I might as well just go somewhere else.

The inconvenience is really what keeps me from going to WDW too.

TP2000

The inconvenience is really what keeps me from going to WDW too.

With the exception of a handful of Epcot pavilions that haven't yet been ruined, a good ride or two in DHS and DAK, and a superior version of Splash Mountain that actually has a plotline, you aren't missing anything.

Well, you are missing stifling heat and humidity, Disney bus drivers who will tell you elaborate lies about the company they work for, and a fascinating cross section of alarmingly unattractive East Coast accents that hurt your delicate West Coast ears.

Seriously, you aren't missing much. Just a moving sidewalk over Harbor Blvd., really. But we're all missing that.

Curious Constance

With the exception of a handful of Epcot pavilions that haven't yet been ruined, a good ride or two in DHS and DAK, and a superior version of Splash Mountain that actually has a plotline, you aren't missing anything.

Well, you are missing stifling heat and humidity, Disney bus drivers who will tell you elaborate lies about the company they work for, and a fascinating cross section of alarmingly unattractive East Coast accents that hurt your delicate West Coast ears.

Seriously, you aren't missing much. Just a moving sidewalk over Harbor Blvd., really. But we're all missing that.
Lol watch it buddy! I was born and raised in Pennsylvania!

But who am I kidding? The east coast is terrible.

Phroobar

My wife won't step foot in Florida because of the heat and humidity. It really doesn't seem the plane trip anymore considering what we know about the place.

BubbaQuest

WDI even built a model of the "Resort Expansion" as it looked in the early 1990's, before the budget cutting took over in the mid 90's.

Here it is zoomed in looking from the east, where the PeopleMover station drops you off inbetween the parks after it zips you over from the Eastern Gateway parking structures. With a bridge over Harbor Blvd.; even in 1992 it would have made it harder to get to IHOP and Denny's.
westcot2_publicesplanade.jpg

While the original plan would have made the walk longer from iHop/Howard Johnson's, my understanding is nearby pedestrians could have entered the resort at Disney Way about 400 feet from the current esplanade entrance. It would have sucked for iHop, but other businesses farther south on Harbor would have gained easier access.

My understanding of the new gateway (especially when it had no Harbor Blvd access) is that it is worse for *everyone* except Disney.

choco choco

Frankly, I think Disney is being supremely stupid over something that is a really easy fix.

Just keep the security theatre* on the east side of the esplanade where it is currently (I fail to think of a reason why they can't. Even with the redesign it sure looks like there's plenty of space). If they are really adamant that the security show needs more space, take out the ticket booths that are on that east side and replace them with the security stops. Either relocate the ticket booths to right next to the new parking structure (basically swapping spots with where they were gonna put security theatre) or just have people walk across the esplanade and use the ticket booths on the west side (how hard is it to walk 300 extra feet? And aren't they trying to move away from ticket booths and have people do everything online?).

Then they don't have to seal off the bridge and can build stairs down to the east side of Harbor's sidewalks, giving access to every restaurant and hotel on it. Win, win.

*and does anybody really think the "security" required to get into the Anaheim resort does a damn thing? Calling what they do a "cursory" glance through bags is being really generous.

Phroobar

Frankly, I think Disney is being supremely stupid over something that is a really easy fix.

Just keep the security theatre* on the east side of the esplanade where it is currently (I fail to think of a reason why they can't. Even with the redesign it sure looks like there's plenty of space). If they are really adamant that the security show needs more space, take out the ticket booths that are on that east side and replace them with the security stops. Either relocate the ticket booths to right next to the new parking structure (basically swapping spots with where they were gonna put security theatre) or just have people walk across the esplanade and use the ticket booths on the west side (how hard is it to walk 300 extra feet? And aren't they trying to move away from ticket booths and have people do everything online?).

Then they don't have to seal off the bridge and can build stairs down to the east side of Harbor's sidewalks, giving access to every restaurant and hotel on it. Win, win.

*and does anybody really think the "security" required to get into the Anaheim resort does a damn thing? Calling what they do a "cursory" glance through bags is being really generous.
Your being too logical. That is what would happen in a perfect world however the greedy mouse just wants to put those business out of service so they can build there instead.

NobodyElse

...the greedy mouse just wants to put those business out of service so they can build there instead.

I don't believe that it's quite that simple.
I also don't believe (if the bridge plan were to go through) that any of the Harbor hotels would just throw up their hands and say "That's it - there's no point in going on. I'm now just going to surrender my property to Disney for the lowest price possible.".

Phroobar

I don't believe that it's quite that simple.
I also don't believe (if the bridge plan were to go through) that any of the Harbor hotels would just throw up their hands and say "That's it - there's no point in going on. I'm now just going to surrender my property to Disney for the lowest price possible.".
I agree it's an exaggeration but that is what those businesses think. If they think one dollar is lost because of the bridge they will scream. You have to be a first time tourist to leave Disneyland and eat at Captain Kids.

flynnibus

Premium Member

This wouldn't achieve the goals of moving the security boundary away from the core product tho. It's not just about space.. they need to remove this huge congregation of people out of the esplanade and move the screening process to an area further away and diffuse the crowding by doing things in stages.

Stevek

I'm so jealous. Would love to see Avatar.
I will be at DAK on 5/21...they are doing a D23 preview that day...but I didn't get in. So I won't be able to see it. Second time this has happened as we were there a few years ago, literally the day before they started soft openings on Everest. I guess it gives me something new to look forward to if we ever go back again. At least I can stand at the entry, looking longingly into the land like a kid a the window of a candy store.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom