Parks and Transportation with double stroller

mdubm

Original Poster
Going in June and renting a double stroller from Kingdom Strollers. we are staying at YC so we at least get to walk/boat for two days. I'm trying to decide to bus or drive (we'll have our car), but I'm not sure what's the lesser of two evils: folding up stroller on bus or to get on tram. Also, are the boats pretty friendly for double strollers?
Any tips on navigating parks and transportation with a big double stroller?

TDGMedley

What kind of double are you taking. I have gone with 2 different ones. A double jogger witch was much harder on a small boat and bus. and one that seats one kid in front and other in back. This one was easier bc it folded up smaller. It wouldn't be so bad if they didnt fill the buses/boats so full, No room to move with the heavy stroller. I did not find it hard to get through the parks, some people are rude and will want to push by you but the parks are big and there are going to be lots of other families with double strollers that will understand your struggle. With all that said don't get stressed about the stroller have a great time and enjoy.

mdubm

Original Poster
What kind of double are you taking. I have gone with 2 different ones. A double jogger witch was much harder on a small boat and bus. and one that seats one kid in front and other in back. This one was easier bc it folded up smaller. It wouldn't be so bad if they didnt fill the buses/boats so full, No room to move with the heavy stroller. I did not find it hard to get through the parks, some people are rude and will want to push by you but the parks are big and there are going to be lots of other families with double strollers that will understand your struggle. With all that said don't get stressed about the stroller have a great time and enjoy.
We are doing the double jogger. Our 4 year old daughter is too big for a tandem, in fact, she is almost too big for the BOB stroller, but we'll also have our 14 month old. We'll be taking the boat from Yacht Club and boat from Polynesian, so fingers crossed they won't fill those up too much. We'll be riding early morning to the parks and we're coming back to the resort early afternoon for naps.

buseegal

We are doing the double jogger. Our 4 year old daughter is too big for a tandem, in fact, she is almost too big for the BOB stroller, but we'll also have our 14 month old. We'll be taking the boat from Yacht Club and boat from Polynesian, so fingers crossed they won't fill those up too much. We'll be riding early morning to the parks and we're coming back to the resort early afternoon for naps.
remember if you drive to MK you will still have to use monorail or ferry. not to mention the tram which is very unfriendly to strollers. be prepared for younger one to fall asleep on way back from MK and not sleeping at resort. been there and had that happen. was not pretty

Tinkerbell397

We are going in May and my daughter opted for 2 separate strollers. Her reasoning is that her daughter...just turned 4, will be more likely to stay in the park later and one of them can bring their son....not quite 2, back to the hotel for naps or early bedtime. We will also be separated for some meals and meets and greets. It will just be more convenient with 4 adults and 2 strollers. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

mdubm

Original Poster
remember if you drive to MK you will still have to use monorail or ferry. not to mention the tram which is very unfriendly to strollers. be prepared for younger one to fall asleep on way back from MK and not sleeping at resort. been there and had that happen. was not pretty
I'm thinking we'll only have to drive to MK zone day, so we may still consider bus. We have breakfast at Chef Mickey's, so will walk from Contemporary that day. And then we're splitting our stay at staying at Poly the last night, so we'll take the boat then.

mdubm

Original Poster
We are going in May and my daughter opted for 2 separate strollers. Her reasoning is that her daughter...just turned 4, will be more likely to stay in the park later and one of them can bring their son....not quite 2, back to the hotel for naps or early bedtime. We will also be separated for some meals and meets and greets. It will just be more convenient with 4 adults and 2 strollers. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:
This is a good idea too. My 14 month old still tolerates the carrier, so I guess we just need to make a decision. I was planning on putting him in the carrier when we split up, but may consider two singles.

MotherofaPrincessLover

This is a good idea too. My 14 month old still tolerates the carrier, so I guess we just need to make a decision. I was planning on putting him in the carrier when we split up, but may consider two singles.
I don't know what time of year you're going, but you might want to consider the heat when it comes to a carrier. I get hot really easily so putting my son in his carrier is rarely an option (sometimes I wonder why I even bought one...).

TDGMedley

Liked your idea of 2 strollers, I'm going to do that in Feb now. Hope it makes it easier for us.

mdubm

Original Poster
I don't know what time of year you're going, but you might want to consider the heat when it comes to a carrier. I get hot really easily so putting my son in his carrier is rarely an option (sometimes I wonder why I even bought one...).
Going in June, but I moreso meant putting him carrier while in queue or on a short walk when we separate. Won't be for long periods of time. My back can't stand carrying around 25 lbs for long.

correcaminos

Going in June, but I moreso meant putting him carrier while in queue or on a short walk when we separate. Won't be for long periods of time. My back can't stand carrying around 25 lbs for long.
My husband carried my son a hot May trip in the carrier. It really wasn't that bad, but I get you, once my son got a certain size the carrier was not an option. Just too much weight to be carried like that LOL

mdubm

Original Poster
My husband carried my son a hot May trip in the carrier. It really wasn't that bad, but I get you, once my son got a certain size the carrier was not an option. Just too much weight to be carried like that LOL
It's a great option to have and I'm actually kind of amazed my son will still let me wear him considering he's usually go, go, go. They make something called frog togs that's like a cool pack or towel you can wrap around your body or put in between you and baby to help keep both of you cool while wearing. Just throwing that out there for fellow babywearers.

mdubm

Original Poster
We are going 5/16 - 5/24 and renting a double from kingdom strollers. We plan on using bus and boat with it so ill make sure to report back here on how it went.
I'm 95% sure we're going to do Kingdom Strollers as well. Which one are you going with? I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Cosmic Commando

We own a city mini double that we've taken on multiple trips. On the whole, it's pretty good for transportation. We've always parked it unfolded on the friendship boats, but they may want you to fold it if it's crowded. The buses are fairly open, but IIRC the back most section can be too narrow to really carry any stroller through (other than the tiniest umbrella). That could just be some older style buses, though. I'm not sure we've ever taken the WDW tram with the stroller; we'd rather walk, or we've left it in the room for a quick park trip. We have used it on the DL tram, though. They're probably the same size? You have to fold it pretty flat and slide it into the seat next to you; there won't be much room for even a kid to sit "with" the stroller... only next to the stroller. This is the most awkward stroller situation, but it is do-able.

Tips:
- the way the front wheels are oriented will determine how well it folds flat. You'll want it pretty flat on a crowded bus or a parking lot tram. Pulling it back towards you before folding it up should get the wheels sticking in the right direction.
- the seatback pockets and bottom storage are not very useful when the stroller is folded. The pockets are completely upside down, if you're carrying it by the folding handles. I seem to remember keeping some stuff in the bottom basket while folding, but it's a bit dicey because of the design of the stroller.

Disclaimer: my model is six or seven years old by this point.

mdubm

Original Poster
We own a city mini double that we've taken on multiple trips.
Thanks for all the great info! We're gonna do the City Mini GT I think. My 4 yo is pretty big and will need the extra room.
We may just bus the one day to MK. I hate relying on other transportation, but we have had to fold a smaller stroller on the tram and it was NOT fun. I can only imagine a double.

I will add that we were able to get to TTC early enough one or two mornings that we parked close enough not to need the tram, but I think we had early ADRs at CP and that was why.

Disney.Mike

We have always took a double sit and stand. The kind where one kid sits in front and one sits in back. That said, we took the seat part off of the back, so one kid got to stand and ride (they could sit on the little plastic bench too), while one kid sat in the front. This made the stroller lighter and less bulky.
That said, we have never had an issue with this kind of double stroller, and historically we have went over the Christmas holidays when crowd levels are insane.

We always used the bus system, and would take the monorail and boats to various destinations.

mdubm

Original Poster
We have always took a double sit and stand. The kind where one kid sits in front and one sits in back. That said, we took the seat part off of the back, so one kid got to stand and ride (they could sit on the little plastic bench too), while one kid sat in the front. This made the stroller lighter and less bulky.
That said, we have never had an issue with this kind of double stroller, and historically we have went over the Christmas holidays when crowd levels are insane.

We always used the bus system, and would take the monorail and boats to various destinations.
I like the idea of the sit and stand, but we don't own one and will be renting from one of the stroller rentals in the area, so it's not an option for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom