A Spirited Valentine ...

Mike S

The placement of that park at the southernmost point of their property still baffles me. This park should have been built on the land Sapphire Falls sits on so guests could see Krakatau on their way to the other parks.
Now it acts as a beacon for those on the highway. Better than a billboard.

the.dreamfinder

Now it acts as a beacon for those on the highway. Better than a billboard.

The current site is not the only place that would have had Interstate visibility.
There's a missed opportunity to have a sweeping vista from the edge of CityWalk with all of UNI's theme parks visible to guests as they start their day.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because 'Avatar' doesn't exactly resonate with the general public like 'Harry Potter' does - One movie in 2009 vs. eight over 15 years. I've never even seen 'Avatar', wasn't interested in the plot, the visuals, et al. But Iger thought he could do with it what Uni did with HP. In other words, an ego play.

But but but it has the biggest box office in history....

the.dreamfinder

Krakatau can still be seen from CityWalk. My guess as to why it is where it is is twofold. First, they liked the idea of a large convention space between 2 nice hotels. And second, they hated the idea of a 200' Volcano looming over Toon Lagoon.
But guests won't be able to see it like you can with the Lighthouse of Alexandria or the Studio Gates of USF. What's the point of a weenie that is hard to reach? Regarding sightlines within the parks, ToT is visible from Epcot and it was painted to blend in, so it can be workable. Plus Krakatau is a thinner structure than ToT.

Some of UNI's decisions just baffle me because they can be so short sighted... like building Kong on JP's expansion pad. Hindsight is always 20/20, but Creative and management have a tendancy to shoot themselves in their feet.

Mike S

But guests won't be able to see it like you can with the Lighthouse of Alexandria or the Studio Gates of USF. What's the point of a weenie that is hard to reach? Regarding sightlines within the parks, ToT is visible from Epcot and it was painted to blend in, so it can be workable. Plus Krakatau is a thinner structure than ToT.

Some of UNI's decisions just baffle me because they can be so short sighted... like building Kong on JP's expansion pad. Hindsight is always 20/20, but Creative and management have a tendancy to shoot themselves in their feet.
Not a problem with a third theme park on the way.

rushtest4echo

Thoughts on his Cirque Du Soleil park in Mexico? Of all the licensed parks that have been proposed over the last 10-15, it's surprising the one that would be built is Cirque's.

The concept art looks amazing! As much as I dislike Gary's boasting- he certainly can and does back up the bravado with spectacular results. Honestly, as an independent theme park guy I consider him at the top of the heap. But I have a feeling that he's over promising with the cirque park. It has the look and feel of lots of the Chinese and Middle Eastern stuff lately which have looked great on the surface but are severely problematic underneath the surface theme.

rushtest4echo

As far as Volcano Bay is concerned- the placement is terrible but they had few options. Anyone whos saying 'billboard'- I'm wondering why none of Florida's other 10+ parks are by the freeway- tourists and locals don't just see a waterpark on the side of the highway and decide to go. This isn't like Vegas where everyone competing for fickle dollars. I'd guess that at least 90% of Orlandos visitors know which parks they're going to, so advertising a waterpark near a freeway isn't going to help.

They wanted the convention spaces at Royal Pacific and Sapphire to be close which ruled out placing VB closer to the parks. I'm still wondering how they're going to handle parking for the employees and guests - shuttles aren't going to solve the complete lack of parking availability. I have to wonder why they couldn't move the Loews back of house from behind VB, and then they'd have plenty of room for parking and such. Those office/maintenance buildings could have been moved right across Sand Lake easily to free up space to make VB better accessible for employees and/or guests.

I understand that Universal had limited options for VBs placement, and they did the best they could. But it's not ideal and I really don't think the location was for advertising purposes. It's just a very minor positive for a location that's riddled with negatives.

Still, it's a million times better located than Wet'n wild for a multitude of reasons. Besides, location should and does take a back seat to lots of other things that result in this park being of the worlds top waterparks.

rushtest4echo

You are advertising for 'the next trip'.

Maybe, but I still don't think that had anything to do with the placement (but it is in fact one of the few positives of that location). The overwhelming majority of people either look things up, use a travel agent/company or simply already know about it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe, but I still don't think that had anything to do with the placement (but it is in fact one of the few positives of that location). The overwhelming majority of people either look things up, use a travel agent/company or simply already know about it.

Yet every conpany spends huge amiunts of money on fliers... coupon/discount programs... tv spots...billboards...advertising campaigns, etc

Marketing is more than 'i know you exist'

rushtest4echo

Yet every conpany spends huge amiunts of money on fliers... coupon/discount programs... tv spots...billboards...advertising campaigns, etc

Marketing is more than 'i know you exist'

None of Florida's major theme/water parks (including Busch and Legoland) are visible from a freeway other than signage and maybe a tall coaster tower. Most are among the top visited parks on earth within their respective categories. They're not local FEC's that need a freeway lawn ornament to attract interest. Frankly, it's tacky which is probably why it hasn't happened till now. Not that Universal had a choice, but I'm sure if Dr Phil High was Universal land the park would have been built there and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

rushtest4echo

I'll continue the discussion of VB's placement, since I've now climbed the non-Volcano towers.

Freeway views/noise are awful from the raft complex nearest the ramps.

The views from the towers on the other ride aren't very good either. I'm quite surprised that they chose to send much of the queuing up behind the towers, meaning people aren't looking at the Volcano/rest of the park and are instead looking at roads. I guess the lack of real "queueing" means most people won't be stopped for long enough to notice it much.

Still though, for such a photogenic park it's weird to have such awful views everywhere. The views from the Volcano slides look great though (from what I could tell, I didn't get to go up into the Volcano :( ).

Bairstow

I'll continue the discussion of VB's placement, since I've now climbed the non-Volcano towers.

Freeway views/noise are awful from the raft complex nearest the ramps.

The views from the towers on the other ride aren't very good either. I'm quite surprised that they chose to send much of the queuing up behind the towers, meaning people aren't looking at the Volcano/rest of the park and are instead looking at roads. I guess the lack of real "queueing" means most people won't be stopped for long enough to notice it much.

Still though, for such a photogenic park it's weird to have such awful views everywhere. The views from the Volcano slides look great though (from what I could tell, I didn't get to go up into the Volcano :( ).

So Universal needs to buy the entire city of Orlando is what you're saying?

rushtest4echo

No, but having more land available further from the freeway probably would have been a better idea, in addition to having a buffer area. Even Typhoon Lagoon is only a few hundred feet from the highway yet the buffer keeps you from noticing the outside world for the most part. Also having more centrally located slides built around one major structure in the middle (like Disney's parks and stuff like Wild Rivers Volcanoish thingie did before it was demolished).

Too late for that, but it's still a concern. Other than Dragons and Dr Doom, Universal has been great at shielding people from the outside world- that's not going to be the case here.

Disney Analyst

What they're saying is, unfortunately due to the location Universal chose, they have many challenges they will not be able to tackle in terms of full immersion. With the location the only thing they could have done to block out the outside world is build a mountain rain around the entire park. No bamboo or trees will block what lies beyond, and it appears they didn't even make room to build a big berm.

rushtest4echo

I know it's a moot point now, but might it have been prudent for Universal to just consider relocating Hard Rock Hotel and placing Volcano Bay there instead? I just did a quick-and-dirty measurement of the land areas of Hard Rock Hotel and Volcano Bay and they're both approximately the same size. Imagine the views and the amazing vista that would have been available from citywalk of IOA, Studios and Volcano Bay all lined up side-by-side. It would have eliminated the need for the shuttle too. For that matter, if they were willing to relocate valet parking and Universal Blvd (not very hard for a project this size) then they probably would have had room to bump the park out quite a bit more. Besides, moving Hard Rock over toward the other hotels would mean that it could share convention space. I know it would have added cost and probably time to the project, but with the speed and drunken-sailor-spending occurring at Uni Orlando right now I've got to wonder if this was considered? I know they'd lose the billboard aspect, but that's really not why VB was placed where it was.

Oh well, I'm pleased with it replacing Wet'n Wild in any capacity. But it would have been just amazing to see it over near the other parks. It certainly would have alleviated most of the sound/view concerns. It also would have better kept everyone in the "bubble" and around CityWalk. Visitors to the water park aren't funneled into Citywalk now and that's a missed opportunity too. Also, had it been next to the Studios, all of the resort shuttles/transportation/security could have been kept as is with minimal disruptions.

Bairstow

I know it's a moot point now, but might it have been prudent for Universal to just consider relocating Hard Rock Hotel and placing Volcano Bay there instead? I just did a quick-and-dirty measurement of the land areas of Hard Rock Hotel and Volcano Bay and they're both approximately the same size. Imagine the views and the amazing vista that would have been available from citywalk of IOA, Studios and Volcano Bay all lined up side-by-side. It would have eliminated the need for the shuttle too. For that matter, if they were willing to relocate valet parking and Universal Blvd (not very hard for a project this size) then they probably would have had room to bump the park out quite a bit more. Besides, moving Hard Rock over toward the other hotels would mean that it could share convention space. I know it would have added cost and probably time to the project, but with the speed and drunken-sailor-spending occurring at Uni Orlando right now I've got to wonder if this was considered? I know they'd lose the billboard aspect, but that's really not why VB was placed where it was.

Oh well, I'm pleased with it replacing Wet'n Wild in any capacity. But it would have been just amazing to see it over near the other parks. It certainly would have alleviated most of the sound/view concerns. It also would have better kept everyone in the "bubble" and around CityWalk. Visitors to the water park aren't funneled into Citywalk now and that's a missed opportunity too. Also, had it been next to the Studios, all of the resort shuttles/transportation/security could have been kept as is with minimal disruptions.
Demolish and rebuild a 650-room luxury resort just so that the views of a waterslide might be better?
No. No, that would not have been prudent.

csmat99

I was just discussing the Jungle Cruise yesterday with a friend, and this topic came up. I think for the Jungle Cruise to be taken "seriously" the AAs would need to be upgraded in a major way and several scenes completely redesigned. As it stands it's a 60 year old relic with barely moving AAs that have been intentionally cheesed up over the years to match the humorous tone the skippers now take.

For guests to take it "seriously", a lot would have to change, especially with decades of the joke mode embedded in the public consciousness.
decades of joke mode? That isn't nice way of describing iger's time at disney. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom