News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
People absolutely take advantage of ECVs. Not all, but you know there are quite a few who know they can get on a bus first, get on a ride before others, etc. Just like people took advantage of the DAS card. And just like people bring double-wide strollers for 8 year olds just so they can carry all of their stuff on it. I know that's all "controversial" to say but it's true.
Saying those things isn't controversial. Everybody agrees that this happens (although the benefits on buses and rides are not consistently available). The controversy would potentially come based on what you would suggest be done in response to the existence of abuse.

TeriofTerror

While some people undoubtedly abuse the ECVs, please, please don't assume that just because you don't see an obvious problem, the rider is automatically fat/lazy. For example, my husband's cousin had a stroke in her early thirties. To look at her, you'd think she's perfectly healthy. However, she can only walk a few steps unassisted and will definitely need an ECV on her WDW trip. I say this totally without judgement, because if I didn't have her example to remind me, I would undoubtedly be sighing very loudly and obnoxiously every time I had to wait for a scooter to load/unload on a bus. ;)

Kman101

While some people undoubtedly abuse the ECVs, please, please don't assume that just because you don't see an obvious problem, the rider is automatically fat/lazy. For example, my husband's cousin had a stroke in her early thirties. To look at her, you'd think she's perfectly healthy. However, she can only walk a few steps unassisted and will definitely need an ECV on her WDW trip. I say this totally without judgement, because if I didn't have her example to remind me, I would undoubtedly be sighing very loudly and obnoxiously every time I had to wait for a scooter to load/unload on a bus. ;)

Of course, that's all very true. You can't assume they don't NEED it.

Malrora73

While I agree that as things currently stand there is no need for another mode of transportation between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. However if they do do this, whether it's for an extension of the Monorail or a gondala system I do think that this would be a good way to prepare for the influx of visitors DHS is almost guaranteed to get once Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land open. Yes they could just buy a hundred more buses for the same cost but doing that would result in an overload of traffic at the end of the night, especially now that all the parks have night offerings. 100 more buses would also mean extending the bus only lanes they are currently working on around the Disney Springs area. This gives people other options that are above ground and not clogging up the streets. Traffic is bad enough as it is. If Pandora is popular that will just compound the problem even more. Who knows what they have in store for Epcot or the rest of the parks futures? This would mean they are thinking more long term about the future of Walt Disney World and it is something I heartily approve of. WDW has been long overdue for some TLC especially the infrastructure.

Cesar R M

Our insiders have indicated that the International Gateway station will be themed to the architecture of that area. Pop Century/AoA will be minimally themed. And I believe CBR and DHS stations will also be themed to coincide with the area they are located in.

So to answer your question, no Swiss/Tommorowland theming going on.
They are missing an opportunity to theme each tower station according to the area they are in.

Cesar R M

I guess I'm not following what you're saying.

$130 seems more than reasonable considering the competition and rest of the market.

I was stating that I felt $200-$300 was overpriced.
Lets agree to disagree.

Because for what I've seen.. those 100-150 USD "hotels" have better rooms and amenities than the default priced Disney moderates.
Starting from the bathrooms for example.
POR and COL are fine examples.. they look motel rooms with a little theme on them.

Creathir

Lets agree to disagree.

Because for what I've seen.. those 100-150 USD "hotels" have better rooms and amenities than the default priced Disney moderates.
POR and COL are fine examples.. they look motel rooms with a little theme on them.
Ah, I understand what you're saying now.

To each his own I suppose?

For some The being onsite and free transportation is a good trade off for stuff like you are talking about. But it's really a personal preference question.

HauntedMansionFLA

It really wouldn't be worth it is the problem. Two value resorts and a moderate getting monorail service before any more expensive ones (Wilderness Lodge would be the cheapest to get to and even that's a fever dream) would be real weird. The necessary stuff to expand the line and service the resorts would be laughably high.

If they don't do a line to those resorts all this would do is connect Epcot to Hollywood Studios, which the boats and buses already do. No need to drop millions to help people get dinner at Epcot faster.

It'd be really awesome if everything across WDW was connected by monorail, but it doesn't make sense to do it.
I loved the fact that you can walk DHS to EPCOT and vice versa. We enjoy taking in the sites along the way and it seemed to be a lot faster. Too bad you don't have more options to walk to the different parks from the resorts. Contemporary to MK, EPCOT resorts to DHS and EPCOT but nothing beyond it. DAK would be a short walk.

TrojanUSC

Lets agree to disagree.

Disney hotels, moderate or deluxe, are laughably bad compared to their counterparts elsewhere in the industry. You just miss out on the gorgeous theming and slight perks you get by staying off-property. Service and amenity wise they simply do not compare to other hotels at their price-point, with the best example being the Four Seasons @ Golden Oak or even the Waldorf, both of which service a clientele Disney is desperately trying to cater to. None of this goes to mention that Disney rooms are sorely outdated, often poorly designed and are just in relative disrepair. Service-wise cast members in 2017 have become theme park employees, basically - their expertise is in magic bands, not in providing a stellar guest experience. A perfect example:

During my last stay on the club level at DAK, I discovered that you can not, under any circumstance, call the front desk from your hotel room. The closest you can get is "guest services" which is just the main Walt Disney World operator, who is completely unversed in the operation of my specific resort. Beyond frustrating. Later, when I wanted to extend my stay, a visit to the front desk at the DAK club level check-in had them quoting me $1500+tax/night for a standard club level room, even verifying with a manager. Shocked I called central reservations - while sitting at the desk - who told me the same room would be $695.00. How is it possible there's such a disparity? Simple. Cast Members at the resorts are not really trained in the operation of a hotel, but rather learn only the bare bones and spend most of their time learning about magic bands, dining plans and park tickets.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I loved the fact that you can walk DHS to EPCOT and vice versa. We enjoy taking in the sites along the way and it seemed to be a lot faster. Too bad you don't have more options to walk to the different parks from the resorts. Contemporary to MK, EPCOT resorts to DHS and EPCOT but nothing beyond it. DAK would be a short walk.
It is shame there isn't more walk-ways... Epcot to DHS is quick and enjoyable as you said to see the sites. When I stayed at CBR, I was hoping for something like that, since Epcot and DHS are close enough to walk if you wanted.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It is shame there isn't more walk-ways... Epcot to DHS is quick and enjoyable as you said to see the sites. When I stayed at CBR, I was hoping for something like that, since Epcot and DHS are close enough to walk if you wanted.
It does seem to fly in the face of Walt Disney's vision for his Experimental Prototype Communi-City of Tomorrow, doesn't it?

HauntedMansionFLA

It would, I believe, the least expensive option compared to bus, water taxi, monorail and gondola forms of transportation.

Marlins1

Disney hotels, moderate or deluxe, are laughably bad compared to their counterparts elsewhere in the industry. You just miss out on the gorgeous theming and slight perks you get by staying off-property. Service and amenity wise they simply do not compare to other hotels at their price-point, with the best example being the Four Seasons @ Golden Oak or even the Waldorf, both of which service a clientele Disney is desperately trying to cater to. None of this goes to mention that Disney rooms are sorely outdated, often poorly designed and are just in relative disrepair. Service-wise cast members in 2017 have become theme park employees, basically - their expertise is in magic bands, not in providing a stellar guest experience. A perfect example:

During my last stay on the club level at DAK, I discovered that you can not, under any circumstance, call the front desk from your hotel room. The closest you can get is "guest services" which is just the main Walt Disney World operator, who is completely unversed in the operation of my specific resort. Beyond frustrating. Later, when I wanted to extend my stay, a visit to the front desk at the DAK club level check-in had them quoting me $1500+tax/night for a standard club level room, even verifying with a manager. Shocked I called central reservations - while sitting at the desk - who told me the same room would be $695.00. How is it possible there's such a disparity? Simple. Cast Members at the resorts are not really trained in the operation of a hotel, but rather learn only the bare bones and spend most of their time learning about magic bands, dining plans and park tickets.
You mention the gorgeous theming. For me that along with unique great views, nice enough (admittedly not great) rooms, convenience, very fun pools etc. makes the Disney deluxe and moderate resorts a great part of the trip. Yes I could have better towels and sheets at a Four Season along with more people asking to help me all the time but that is not as important for me. Having morning coffee or a nighttime glass of wine on a balcony looking at a savannah or the Boardwalk is better than any Four Seasons amenity in my book.

Last edited:

DisneyDaver

the Four Seasons @ Golden Oak or even the Waldorf, both of which service a clientele Disney is desperately trying to cater to.

What makes you think WDW is trying to desperately cater to those who would like a Four Seasons-like service experience?

WDW deluxe resorts are all about paying a premium for convenience, not service. I've never seen any attempt to copy Four Seasons' service and I really don't think that is what WDW is aiming for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom