Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

Figment82

Eric Burris, a meteorologist on WESH News (local NBC affiliate) is also running the race. He just gave the latest updated forecast and the rain is still only supposed to be in the afternoon. He was supposed to run in the January Half as well, so he made a point of saying everything should be fine. We definitely need the rain, so after the race concludes it can downpour all it wants! :D

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Eric Burris, a meteorologist on WESH News (local NBC affiliate) is also running the race. He just gave the latest updated forecast and the rain is still only supposed to be in the afternoon. He was supposed to run in the January Half as well, so he made a point of saying everything should be fine. We definitely need the rain, so after the race concludes it can downpour all it wants! :D

But Sunday's my birthday and I was planning on celebrating (if my feet hold up) in the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon. :(

The Weather Channel app also has rain in the afternoon and evening - mostly cloudy during the day before the rain comes.

This morning's 5k at Epcot was nice - not too warm (around 60 at race time). Once we got through the International Gateway, it was nice and cool, with a bit of a breeze. Like someone had turned on the A/C in that part of the park.

I ran into to these guys:

Attachments

• 20170421_070359.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43

SpectroPhoenix

Thanks for the update! When I checked last night, a couple Weather apps were listing AM Thunderstorms. I'm liking the latest update significantly better!

HolleBolleGijs

Original Poster
Ran the 5k today (first runDisney race woo!), and I noticed MapMyRun said the race ended up being 5.25 km instead of just 5. Anyone know if this is normal? I know the apps aren't always 100%, but I saw a screenshot from a different app saying the same thing.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ran the 5k today (first runDisney race woo!), and I noticed MapMyRun said the race ended up being 5.25 km instead of just 5. Anyone know if this is normal? I know the apps aren't always 100%, but I saw a screenshot from a different app saying the same thing.

My Fitbit said 3.23 miles total. At the point in the course where we made the loop in the International Gateway, the GPS added a mile and then corrected itself. With all the looping back and forth, I think it's hard for any running app to accurately report distance run. According to my Surge, I've always run about a tenth of a mile more than Disney's mile markers.

I gather this is why none of Disney's races will every be qualifiers for Boston...

surfsupdon

Thanks! We're sorry you're not joining us -was looking forward to the pink shirt and flamingo socks. :)
I've got Dopey booked and doing either DLand Half or Paris Half. You around for any of them?? I can't choose. I want France but it's outside my comfort zone. But I run outside my comfort zone. I keep vacillating.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I've got Dopey booked and doing either DLand Half or Paris Half. You around for any of them?? I can't choose. I want France but it's outside my comfort zone. But I run outside my comfort zone. I keep vacillating.

You'd be fine in France - and from what I heard around me last year a different but positive experience for those of you used to the US races (later start time, ease of walking to the start, flat course through the countryside). Plus it's outside of school holidays so the parks (despite all the racers) were relatively crowd-free.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@surfsupdon, I'm in agreement with @Swissmiss. I've run into about a dozen people here at SW Dark Side (including a guy wearing his Castle to Chateau shirt at the expo) who had glowing comments about the DLP Half. One lady said it was the best runDisney course she'd done...and she does just about every race at DLR and WDW.

I'd say, go for it. Maybe I'll join you, @Texas84 and @Swissmiss in 2019....

I'll be in Anaheim next year for the 2018 SW Light Side....whenever they get around to opening registration...

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - That's beginning to sound like a goal to work towards ;).

Are you running today? If so, have a good race. Personally I'm on the fence about my long run this weekend (my 10 km is in two weeks). Am surprisingly feeling the energy today after the awful trail run the other night but I think temperatures will be a bit better tomorrow. Except Sunday runs mean more strollers to dodge (as in slow clueless pedestrians, not the ones for babies, although they'll be a few of that type too ;)).

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - That's beginning to sound like a goal to work towards ;).

Are you running today? If so, have a good race. Personally I'm on the fence about my long run this weekend (my 10 km is in two weeks). Am surprisingly feeling the energy today after the awful trail run the other night but I think temperatures will be a bit better tomorrow. Except Sunday runs mean more strollers to dodge (as in slow clueless pedestrians, not the ones for babies, although they'll be a few of that type too ;)).

Yes. I'm standing in the Magic Kingdom parking lot, stretching and waiting to wander down to my corral. It's a weird setup compared to what is usually done.

If I could Star Trek transport to Paris, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I just hate (fear) flying.....

Swissmiss

Premium Member
If I could Star Trek transport to Paris, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I just hate (fear) flying.....

You'll be happy to learn that my DD (who's only a tween) has decided that she wants to design just that sort of transportation when she grows up :joyfull:. In the meantime, anti anxiety meds are your friend on the plane ... or at least they're my friend

Édit: to fix an unintended deletion and grammar mistake !

LAKid53

Premium Member
You'll be happy to learn that my DD (who's only a tween) has decided that she wants to design just that sort of transportation when she grows up :joyfull:. In the meantime, anti anxiety meds are your friend on the plane ... or at least they're my friend

Édit: to fix an unintended deletion and grammar mistake !

My daughter has the same anxiety about flying. She takes something, but she still has sweaty palms. My dad used to serve a pitcher of martinis to my mother to calm her flying anxiety. Irony? He's was aeronautical engineer with 40 years in the aviation business - and his wife, daughter and granddaughter hate flying.

I'd rather take the Queen Elizabeth....

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LizaMarie89, @Texas84 and anyone else running the Half tomorrow. Staging in the MK parking lot is way different than Epcot. Not as many port-a-potties (just one long line of them, not the several banks like Epcot), gear bag check in isn't a tent, but a couple of tables. The lines for the potties were long....and I mean you might miss getting to your corral in time long. Only when we'd been waiting over 20 minutes and it was just after 5:00 am did anyone inform us there were more at the corrals. Hardly anyone entered the corrals before 5 and the lines at those potties were long, also. I know this maybe a TMI post, but if you have to go, go as soon as you enter the staging area. I barely made it to my corral in time. Ended up having to use the first ones on World Drive (really, runDisney, you put out only 10 of them?!), losing 15 minutes and had to book it to stay ahead of the balloon ladies.

Wasn't too hot this morning. Hoping for the same tomorrow. Lots of characters once we got into Epcot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks LA kid! The nerves are beginning to set in...

You'll be fine. Just get to bed early, make sure everything is laid out tonight - race shirt with bib pinned on, shoes, running shorts, hydration, etc. Plan on getting up at a time to allow you to complete your routine - and to wake up some before heading to your bus - I'm assuming you're staying on property? And make sure to be at your bus BEFORE the stated time of 4 AM. Our bus for the 5k Friday left 15 minutes before the "be on your bus by" time. I was glad i decided to not linger in bed when I woke up about 20 minutes before my alarm...

It's not a very long walk from drop off to staging area.

Good luck! We'll see you at the finish line!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom