POFQ or Contemporary Garden Wing?

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
DH, DS (6 year old), and DD (2.5 year old), and I are going to WDW for the first time. We'll be at POFQ in December (the week before Christmas) for 4 nights, 5 days. I heard POFQ rarely gets the room-only discount but Contemporary usually gets 15%-20% discount during that time, so it would be ~$500 more to upgrade from POFQ to Contemporary. I understand that the walk to MK and monorail is only 10 minutes from Contemporary, which is a huge plus since we'll be going to MK twice and Epcot for 1 day, and the rooms are larger and nicer.

My question to you is do you think the upgrade is worth the extra $500 cost? Or should I spend it on something else (e.g., parkhopper - I hadn't opted for it because I thought that there would be enough to see in one park per day, and I wasn't sure my kids could stay up to take advantage of the EMH)? Alternatively, could upgrade to AKL standard room for $350, but I thought it was too far from the others parks so traveling on the buses would be a pain.

Thanks!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Given those options, 1,000% upgrade to Animal Kingdom Lodge. The "distance from parks" is the most over-exaggerated complaint in the Disney fan community IMO. A bus from Port Orleans French Quarter to the Magic Kingdom is ~17 minutes. A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom is ~21 minutes. The awesomeness of Animal Kingdom Lodge is well worth an extra eight minutes of bus time per day.

Contemporary being walkable to the Magic Kingdom is nice, but 1) it's not as nice with a 6 and a 2 year old and 2) the theming of the resort will be remarkably boring for kids that age (and many adults).

Also, Garden Wing rooms book extremely quickly so you can't count on any discount being available.

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
Thanks Captain America! I didn't realize there might not be a discount with the Garden Wing rooms. I didn't realize AKL was that close to the parks, although, I guess there is still the wait at the bus stop because of the crowds (& I heard POFQ doesn't have much waits at teh bus stops because the resort is smaller).

I can't afford the Savannah view rooms, so it'd just be the standard room with standard view (it seems like so many people love the AKL because they can see the animals from their room, but we wouldn't be getting that!). With that being said, do you still think the $350 cost is worth the upgrade from POFQ to AKL??

nickys

Premium Member
Haven't stayed at POFQ, but I love the Contemporary. Technically Bay Lake, but still recommend Contemporary.

What's not to love about the monorail going through the hotel, whether you're 2 or 80?
Chef Mickey for a classic character meal, with the "big 5".
Walking to MK
Monorail to Epcot
Boat rides around Bay Lake for free. Handy for the Backyard BBQ at FW, or visiting WL to see the Geyser and a stream inside the lobby.

AKL is lovely, but the extra cost for a standard view.... There are plenty of places to watch the animals, and a ton of activities at the resort. I would love to stay there as a total break from the parks, but I think the benefits of being so close to MK and easy access to Epcot from the Contemporary outweigh AKL. Especially if you don't plan to visit AK itself.

Reggie Colorado

It might depend on how much time you will spend at the resort versus the parks. When our kids were approximately that age, we spent almost all of our time in the parks other than a 2-3 hour break in the afternoon for naps or swimming. Except for maybe a quick breakfast on the way, we ate our meals in the park too. We also would go to the park on our arrival day, so we were not spending time at the resort except for resting/sleeping or visiting the pool. In our case, it made more sense to save money on the room and spend elsewhere. If you are planning on using the resort amenities more, it might make more sense to splurge on the room (which we have done on other trips).
We have stayed at POFQ and liked it very much. The rooms are not fancy or big, but the resort is themed well and quiet. It has a great kid-friendly pool with a new splash area for the little ones. With only one stop, the bus service was efficient.

But keep in mind you still have to wait for buses, usually at least 10 minutes. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus at POFQ, but one time did have to wait over 20 minutes for a bus at MK (near closing). The Contemporary does offer a great advantage with the walking option, which would come especially in handy after parades or fireworks when the buses and monorail can become mobbed. And with the closer location, it makes it easier if you need to make more frequent unplanned breaks from the park with the kids.

In the end, it comes down to your personal preference.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thanks Captain America! I didn't realize there might not be a discount with the Garden Wing rooms. I didn't realize AKL was that close to the parks, although, I guess there is still the wait at the bus stop because of the crowds (& I heard POFQ doesn't have much waits at teh bus stops because the resort is smaller).
This is not a concern. POFQ is smaller than the other moderate resorts, but it is still larger than Animal Kingdom Lodge (1,000 rooms versus AKL's 900ish).

I can't afford the Savannah view rooms, so it'd just be the standard room with standard view (it seems like so many people love the AKL because they can see the animals from their room, but we wouldn't be getting that!). With that being said, do you still think the $350 cost is worth the upgrade from POFQ to AKL??
I don't bother with Savanna View either, I don't think it's worth the cost. Many of the Standard View rooms have partial / semi-obstructed views of the savanna anyways, and there are plenty of public viewing areas outside of your room.

Canuckgirl78

Original Poster
Thanks all. I should clarify, our schedule will most likely be Day 1: DHS, day 2: AK, day 3: Epcot, Day 4 & 5: MK, so we will be visiting AK!

I should also add, after WDW, we're going on a week-long Caribbean cruise, so I don't really care about pools, etc. as the kids will have enough time to swim and splash around on the ship. I also will be using the resort mainly to sleep at night, as I'm hoping to just wake up early to maximize the time we spend at the park. My son doesn't nap, and I'm hoping my daughter will just nap in the stroller in the park so we don't have to go back to our room.

Ahh, the dilemma of trying to find a resort that's has the "Disney magic", convenience, and price point! :)

Jess G

Given those options, 1,000% upgrade to Animal Kingdom Lodge. The "distance from parks" is the most over-exaggerated complaint in the Disney fan community IMO. A bus from Port Orleans French Quarter to the Magic Kingdom is ~17 minutes. A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom is ~21 minutes. The awesomeness of Animal Kingdom Lodge is well worth an extra eight minutes of bus time per day.

I agree with that. The only time I actually felt the bus ride "dragged" was going downtown. Still not a deal breaker for me. I love AKL !

DisAl

As for the park hopper, when we take the grandkids we don't do it. One park per day is all we can handle; park hopper would be a waste of money for us. The extra cost of the park hopper is better spent for resort upgrade or meal plan for us.

PrincessL

We've taken all of our boys at 2.5-3 years old for their first trips to WDW. The youngests first trip will be next month!!! Location, location, location is worth the extra cost with that age! First two trips were at bus only resorts and after those experience we feel it is worth the extra to stay at a monorail resort. We will be at the Poly this time and over half our vacation will be spent at MK and Epcot. So, not having to fold up the stroller a gazillion times and having the capability to easily go back to the resort for a nap or quick exit is worth it.

In your case with doing 5 full days in the park and the end of your trip being at MK and Epcot I think you would find the location of the contemporary very valuable! Plus great restaurants along the monorail are so convenient. I don't know about your 6 year old DS but mine find riding the monorail and the fact that it goes through the building to be the coolest. I'll also add that we have walked from Chef Mickey's to MK and I believe it is less than 10 min. I would say it felt closer to 5 but I was not timing;)

Just my opinion though! Happy planning:)

mdubm

This is a tough decision. The Contemporary had always been a dream of mine. Many complain the decor is bland, but it's a fixture of the original WDW, the monorail, the walkability to MK. We have two youngsters as well, and my DH isnt as big of a Disney fan as myself and my daughter, so being close enough to MK would mean that he and our youngest son could escape back to the hotel if needed. I know you mentioned you wouldn't nap, but never underestimate the power of a nap (even if it's short).
I like the looks of AKL, but it doesn't appeal to me as much. That's just my opinion. If you're into animals and some of the really good restaurants there, then go for that one.
POFQ also is nice as well, but other than price, it doesn't offer anything that the other two don't.
We usually skip park hopper. Seems you have your days picked out already. Park hopper takes time out of our time in the parks. You also can't FP anything in the 2nd park in advance and I find that when we arrive at the 2nd park, it's already packed and all of the lines are too long.
If you save the $500, maybe look into dining plan or Memory Maker, then save for souvenirs, meals, etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Garden Wing rooms are nice and big, with understated Disney touches, but take that 10-minute walk figure with a big grain of salt. The MK is ten minutes from the main hotel lobby. In the Garden Wing, you're at least 10 minutes from the main hotel. Not a big deal first thing in the morning. Very big deal late at night going back to your room...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom