Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

Chet Dakota

I wonder if even starting it 30 minutes earlier would be possible.

That is what I thought of, but I doubt they would do that this close to the event.

They could have shortened the ridiculous length in the DAK Parking Lot and let us run more through the shaded paths of DAK, or even through Pandora.

Figment82

I'm seeing high 80s on the local weather, and that's in the afternoon. I doubt they'd shorten the course. I honestly don't think it will be too extreme, just a little uncomfortable if you're from a cooler climate. Today had a similar high temperature - I ran at 5:30pm and it was fine. Stay hydrated and pace yourself, though, of course! It's been very windy lately too, and if that sticks around for the weekend, it should help (unless you get a headwind - ugh, those have been awful).

dreamfinder

Unfortunately they are going to be pretty locked in for times the course can be open. From things like when the off duty cops are there at intersections, what time the cone/cleanup crews are booked, to simply when they have permission to close roads. Even though they are Disney roads, I imagine they still need to get approval from RCID to close them just to make it all kosher.

Heat warnings stink, but most races usually need to stick to the course times and pull runners as appropriate.

LizaMarie89

I looked at the weather this morning and it doesn't seem to get much higher than 80 at our finish time... the humidity will suck but I know we all will be fine!

Those with asthma like me should carry their inhaler, though

Steveg2112

Does anyone know if spectators will be allowed at the start line and if so will there be buses to take them back to EPCOT for the finish. According to the event guide buses are only running between MK and EPCOT until 6.00am which may be too soon for some people to see their friends/family start.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Does anyone know if spectators will be allowed at the start line and if so will there be buses to take them back to EPCOT for the finish. According to the event guide buses are only running between MK and EPCOT until 6.00am which may be too soon for some people to see their friends/family start.

Spectators are never allowed at the starting line or along the route, There is a viewing stand at the finish line

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And interestingly enough, the verbage says corral placement will be at the discretion of runDisney. Not a straight out "You will be in the last corral" but a "We will put you where we feel like it". Almost sounds like there is the chance someone who registers now MIGHT end up in a properly placed corral while someone who forgot to provide proof of time ends up in the back.

That IS the case - if you forget to submit a time you will be assigned to one of the 2 last corrals

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Arrived a few hours ago. Signs on Western Way indicate the road will be closed Sunday from 5:30 until 8:00 am. Nice to see road closure signs up early.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Looks like rain Sunday afternoon. Partly cloudy in the morning, so hope we will have some shade.

There's a tropical depression in the Atlantic? :eek: Hey, Zeus, it's not June 1st.... ;)

dreamfinder

According to the spectator guide, the only official viewing points for the Dark Side Half Marathon are the start and finish. I'd suspect you can get on one of the buses running between finish and MK and get back to Epcot, since they run til 6:30, no point in them running that late since the race starts at 5:30, with runners expected to be in their corrals before that.

Spectators are never allowed at the starting line or along the route, There is a viewing stand at the finish line

Not accurate. At marathon weekend for the last few years spectators have been able to cheer at the start for the 5k, 10k, half and full. Viewing for the half & full isn't really good, but it's there. Along the route isn't officially allowed in many places, but there are still plenty of places spectators will cheer. TTC on courses where applicable, over by Shades of Green/GF/Wedding Pavillion as well, and usually on the overpass leaving AK over by McDonalds. But yes, any place on the side of the road isn't permitted, those places just happen to have convenient parking and aren't on an open road.

That IS the case - if you forget to submit a time you will be assigned to one of the 2 last corrals

Correct, this has been how it is for quite a while now. I was commenting on how the verbage for last minute sign ups didn't say you would definitely be put in one of the last corrals, but you be placed based on their discretion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom