Should we purchase magic bands?

TBeans

Original Poster
My family and I will be visiting Disney in September. We used our hotel points and booked at the Sawn. I know that since this is technically not a Disney resort, we will not receive magic bands. My question is, is it worth it to purchase them? Or would they only be able to be used to access the parks? I don't know much about this, so any advice would be welcome.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is no need to purchase them as everything you can use them for can be done with the RFID in your ticket.

The only reason to get them outside of collecting is to have your ticket medium on your wrist.

ExtinctJenn

My family and I will be visiting Disney in September. We used our hotel points and booked at the Sawn. I know that since this is technically not a Disney resort, we will not receive magic bands. My question is, is it worth it to purchase them? Or would they only be able to be used to access the parks? I don't know much about this, so any advice would be welcome.
Hi there! Did you book a package at the Swan with park tickets or will you be purchasing your tickets separately?

TBeans

Original Poster
We will be purchasing our tickets separately. I still can't decided if I want to do the park hopper or just a traditional base ticket. Our daughter will just have turned 1 at that point. I have always hopped in the past, and I know that the hours are shorter in September but I'm having a difficult time making a decision! (sorry, off topic! Disney planning mode haha)

ExtinctJenn

Ok so then I would agree with Yoda. You absolutely don't need to buy magic bands. Personally, I find having them makes things so much easier, however, and if you are like me, it makes it less likely that you will drop/lose your ticket at some point. :D

Last edited:

TBeans

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, that's what I figured but wanted some extra advice just in case I missed something during my research...decision made :)

BigRedDad

If you are remotely contemplating purchasing one, don't waste the money that way. Most likely it would be the same price or cheaper to book a throwaway reservation at Fort Wilderness. This would give you EMH for 2 days, up to 10 MBs, and 60-day FP window for those 2 days.

cmb5002

The Magic Bands do have two advantages over the standard rfid ticket card. The Magic Band will work with the ride photo pass and automatically link the pics to your account. With the card you will need to tap it at the appropriate photo at the end of the ride.

I believe the Magic Bands are also required for Story Maker to work.

Might not be important to you or worth the money, but they are little bonuses of the band.

Worldlover71

We will be purchasing our tickets separately. I still can't decided if I want to do the park hopper or just a traditional base ticket. Our daughter will just have turned 1 at that point. I have always hopped in the past, and I know that the hours are shorter in September but I'm having a difficult time making a decision! (sorry, off topic! Disney planning mode haha)

Just a reminder that you can book your tickets without the hopper feature and then add it later if you want/need it. I always suggest getting tickets without the hopper option if you have any doubt if you will actually use it.

TiggerDad

Ok so then I would agree with Yoda. You absolutely don't need to buy magic bands. Personally, I find having them makes things so much easier, however, and if you are like me, it makes it less likely that you will drop/lose your ticket at some point. :D
I managed to lose my magic band. :( On Splash.

ExtinctJenn

I managed to lose my magic band. :( On Splash.
Well that just completely stinks! I've actually found that I'm rather impressed with what they can go through and not come off my wrist. That was with the original bands though. Our first trip using the new ones takes place in just a few days (we leave Monday) though so, here is hoping I don't lose mine this round! :)

Jon81uk

If you are buying memory maker for photos you will probably find having at least one person get a magicband a good thing. Ride photos automatically add to your account with the long range capacity of the band and it just makes it easier for the photographer to tap a band on a wrist rather than getting a ticket out.

If you aren't paying for memeory maker and aren't as bothered about photos there isn't a lot of benefit of getting a band.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If this is going to be your only trip for the next few years, just use the RFID card with a lanyard like @harry suggested - and you can get a lanyard with a pocket just about anywhere.

If you plan on returning again this year or even next year, purchase a MB. But wait until you get to WDW to do so, so you won't be charged shipping for a $13 plain vanilla MB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom